Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#26 Old 25th Sep 2013 at 11:54 PM
Wonderful! I really didn't know if that would work. Now to check for other parts of the code where locale may be important.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Advertisement
Instructor
#27 Old 28th Sep 2013 at 10:15 PM
I'll try this out too - I use OBJ files sometimes to convert from 3 to 2.
This way I shouldn't lose any bones
Field Researcher
#28 Old 8th Dec 2013 at 4:08 AM Last edited by sciguy77 : 8th Dec 2013 at 7:57 AM.
Hmmm, I've got a copy of AutoCAD laying around here someplace. It was originally installed on a laptop that I fried, but I think I still have the installation disks stashed SOMEWHERE. As I recall, it worked with .obj's. Has anyone tried working with Sims 3 files with any AutoDesk products? Is it worth the trouble and effort of tracking it down?

EDIT: While digging around online a little, I found a 3D modeling program called Sketchup. I downloaded the free copy, and it really is FREE. There's no trial period, nothing. Install it and it's yours. It doesn't support .obj import/export right out of the box, but a site called "sketucation" offers tons of plugins, and even an app that will install them for you automatically. I don't know the first thing about working with software like this, but I was able to import, modify, and export a Sims 3 body mesh in the .obj format after installing the auto updater and 2 plugins. There are TONS of tutorials available for absolute beginners, and this thing looks like it's gonna be VERY easy to learn and use. Has anyone else worked with it at all? If you have any questions about it I am NOT the person to ask. I found it less than an hr ago and have done nothing but test the import/export features.
Test Subject
#29 Old 18th Jan 2014 at 11:01 AM
Good morning,
Thank you very much for your Mesh toolKit, I could not do any mesh without it.
I made some meshes in milkshape and your new options allow me to learn and to mesh in maya.
I'm a beginner in maya and I just combined two EA meshes (a dress and a top), and made some modifications to do a dress.
I exported the .obj file and converted it in .wso with your new tool and did assignements and morph with it too. I needed to flip the uvmap in maya otherwise texture was upside down in TSRW .
All was fine in TSRW but in game I have this problem with the left hand :

Just to test if it came from the conversion tool, I imported the .obj from maya to milkshape, exported in .wso and used your tool to do assignements and morphs. And the hand is ok but now there are problems with normals (I haven't use Model Cleaner Tool for this test and align normals). I didn't need to flip vertically the uvmap this time.

Do you have an idea of what happen? I am new in maya and maybe I did something wrong in it.
Thank you and sorry for my bad english, I'm french and not good in english.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#30 Old 18th Jan 2014 at 1:29 PM
Could you upload the obj exported from Maya, the wso mesh, and (if you want to) your final package so I can take a look?

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Test Subject
#31 Old 18th Jan 2014 at 2:55 PM
Here are the files.
Thank you!
Attached files:
File Type: rar  obj_Maya_kattak.rar (858.6 KB, 29 downloads) - View custom content
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#32 Old 18th Jan 2014 at 11:39 PM
When you imported the original obj from Maya you had to flip the UV? Does the obj you uploaded already have the UV flipped? Because it converted correctly but when I imported straight into Milkshape the UV was upside down. I'll have to look into this more closely.

There's something really strange going on with the wso mesh. The fingers seem to be a morph problem since they change with the fat/fit/thin sliders, but the morph meshes look fine in Milkshape and TSRW. And if I import the package in TSRW and try to export the mesh, all the bones go missing.

I'm going to need some time to figure this out. Thanks for telling me about it and uploading the mesh!

Test Subject
#33 Old 19th Jan 2014 at 1:08 PM
Yes, I had to flip the UV and yes I had the UV flipped in the obj file uploaded. In maya, in the UV, faces appear shaded in red like back facing.

In fact, I didn't use the "Auto-assign Bones" for the high level of detail because I noticed that your tool do assignments when I converted the obj file. Should I do it too?

I made a new test this morning, with a top mesh. I just scaled some faces, export in .obj and went to your Mesh ToolKit and finally test in game and there wasn't the problem with fingers. The uvmap was upside down! I didn't change it in maya :

I didn't change multiplier as you can see, it was just to test the mesh.

I noticed too that when I import an obj from maya to, milkshape, milkshape creates triangulate faces where there are quadrangulate faces in maya mesh. Maybe my fingers problem comes from quadrangulate faces ( maybe I deleted an edge in the left hand inadvertently, I compared with the EA original but I didn't see a difference)?

My next test will be to take another left hand. I will tell you the result.

Thank you CmarNYC
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#34 Old 19th Jan 2014 at 11:05 PM Last edited by CmarNYC : 22nd Jan 2014 at 1:41 AM.
I've fixed the UV flip problem. Strange no one reported it before.

That distortion is definitely connected to the morphs, and maybe to the vertex numbering. There are a lot of duplicated vertices. I'm looking at whether that's the problem, possibly that the number of vertices goes over some kind of limit.

Toolkit also splits quadrangles into triangles.

I'm attaching a newer Toolkit with the UV fix, so you won't have to cope with that problem at least. *Edit: Download removed because Oops. Correct download is a few comments down.

Edit: I vaguely remember a few years ago dealing with a similar problem with a hair mesh, and it turned out to be that there's a limit to how much data can be put into a BGEO, which depends on how many unique vertex numbers there are in the mesh. TSRW seems to use a lot of vertex numbers. Anyway, I have to take a look at the conversion to see why it's producing duplicate vertices. With fewer vertices, hopefully the problem will be solved. Meanwhile you could try using the Model Cleaner, and be sure to click No when it asks to separate the vertices.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  MeshToolKit_1-19-2014.zip (113.3 KB, 52 downloads) - View custom content

Field Researcher
#35 Old 20th Jan 2014 at 9:34 PM
I just downloaded this new version of ToollKit. When I extract it there's a single .exe but none of the .dll's or other files that come with the previous versions. Should I just drop this new .exe into the folder with an older version? Doing that opens the new .exe normally, but I want to be sure the updates are included if I do it that way.
Test Subject
#36 Old 21st Jan 2014 at 9:54 AM
I downloaded this new version and dropped all the dll extension files but I can't use the "Auto-create Morphs" tool. I have this error's message :

I have a version of windows 64 bites.
Model Cleaner works in milkshape but I realized that I didn't merge uv points correctly in maya because I don't exactly know how to do that. So, I need to work the uv map in maya!
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#37 Old 22nd Jan 2014 at 1:39 AM
CRAP. I was in a hurry and not thinking when I uploaded that new version. Yes, one or two of the .dll files have also been updated. Here's an upload with everything. Sorry about that!

(Kattak, if you put the .exe by itself and tried to run it, that caused your error.)

This update also corrects the problem of auto-morphed .wso meshes having an error if you import and let TSRW recalculate.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  MeshToolKit_1_4_4_0.zip (267.7 KB, 84 downloads) - View custom content

Test Subject
#38 Old 22nd Jan 2014 at 10:53 PM
What do you mean by "and let TSRW recalculate" ? In fact, I tested your new version (1_4_4_0), just above, and I still have the distortion on the hand and a lot of duplicated vertices in the .wso . In TSRW, I always click "no" to the two pop up windows when I import a .wso. Is it right?
In Maya, for the export's options I have Groups, Smoothing and Normals On .
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#39 Old 23rd Jan 2014 at 2:53 AM Last edited by CmarNYC : 23rd Jan 2014 at 5:40 AM.
The problem with the hand is not fixed - the conversion still creates too many vertices and I have to work on that. Part of the problem is the number of normals, probably caused by Maya's smoothing, but I should be able to reduce the number.

When you import a wso, with this version you should be able to click yes for the first pop up and let TSRW recalculate the mesh. Whether you want to is up to you, but recalculation can correct things like seams not being split.

Test Subject
#40 Old 23rd Jan 2014 at 1:18 PM
Sorry, I didn't understand .

I found this discussion , it confirms what you said about Maya's smoothing. This is annoying.
So I tried to do somethings on normals and I reduced the number of vn row doing "set normal angle" on the whole mesh. It also works doing "soften edges". Maybe it works whatever I do with normals. I test in game, it works, no distortion with the hand. But I know, it is not the solution.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#41 Old 23rd Jan 2014 at 1:31 PM
It's a good solution for your problem with this mesh! I will continue to work on Toolkit's handling of the conversion, and probably add a model cleaning option to the conversion since this will happen to others.

Test Subject
#42 Old 23rd Jan 2014 at 3:55 PM
I'm going to continue to follow your progress in this ToolKit because I don't like to modify whole meshes's normals once, it often gives some strange and ugly stuffs at the uv seams particularly.
Thank you for your work, CmarNYC !
Page 2 of 2