Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 1:50 PM
Default How to upload packaged lots
How do i upload a packaged residential lot i created?.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 2:03 PM
Check it over with Clean Installer right click and choose 'Add to archive' to compress it into a Rar. Then if you want to upload it here you need to go through the upload wizard up near the top of the board under 'create'. You will need screenshots and details of your lot such as the price and size. Any cc used needs to be free and allowed to be uploaded in lots.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#3 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 2:10 PM
Read the Creator Guidelines first!

The upload moderators are an all-volunteer force and if the pictures aren't up to snuff or you haven't conformed to the building guidelines you'll be sent back to the drawing board. You can save yourself a lot of hassle by keeping the guidelines in front of you as you create, and you should certainly have them out when you make your Creator Issues thread. The thread is not just a submission letter, but what the downloader will see in the downloads, so you can browse those of lots other people have successfully uploaded to get a handle on it.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 2:47 PM
It's not that exacting. Once you have uploaded a lot once you will know what is needed. They want an interesting build, some landscaping with terrain paint and the proper screenshots. But certainly read it over carefully the first time so you know what they want. If you're a decent builder you are more likely to get it sent back with changes required to the photos. Getting those right on larger lots I found harder then any of the building. But I was a real noob with the photo programs. I think I sent back my Water park pictures 3 times before they were okay.

I would suggest with a first lot, that you post the pictures on creators feedback first.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 3:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Check it over with Clean Installer right click and choose 'Add to archive' to compress it into a Rar. Then if you want to upload it here you need to go through the upload wizard up near the top of the board under 'create'. You will need screenshots and details of your lot such as the price and size. Any cc used needs to be free and allowed to be uploaded in lots.

I got up to the text bit, filled it out & it wouldn't let me go any further! Why is the upload on this site so compiclated?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 3:20 PM
Which text bit? The first time I uploaded I found it very confusing with all the boxes, but it's like riding a bicycle, it gets easier with practice.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#7 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 3:22 PM
Because you're unfamiliar with it.

Seriously, that's the only reason.

You've got to look at it from the moderators' point of view. The site's bandwidth is limited and not free; therefore, decisions have been made about what is and is not appropriate to host here. They're all volunteers doing this in their free time; therefore, they need to streamline the process of weeding out inappropriate material from their end as much as possible. The guidelines are written to facilitate that.

It never ceases to amaze me how people bitch and moan and whine about submission guidelines. When you approach a third party to publish your work, you're offering them a commodity which they're entitled to accept or refuse as seems fit to them. If this were a story you were submitting to a magazine, you'd have to follow their guidelines, too - and they wouldn't hold your hand through it half as much as the mods here do. In the literary world, if you don't know what standard manuscript format is, you're not getting past the slushpile. Period. In the art world, if you don't have an agent, you're not getting a gallery showing and if you don't have a portfolio you're not getting picked for illustration work. There's a learning curve on those things, so - you learn, or you don't publish. It's a buyer's market out there and the sooner you adapt to that the better off you are.

It's not too hard to understand the guidelines if you slow down, ask questions (the Creator Feedback Forum is good for that), and don't let ego and frustration sabotage you.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#8 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 3:58 PM
It's also good to try to remember that getting a creation accepted is not about how much you want to upload it, it is about how much someone will want to download it. It's not about you, it's about all those nameless faceless people out there that are supposed to see it and go "Oooh, I want that". Being motivated and wanting to share is great, but it has to be worth sharing, and the guidelines are great for making sure it is.

I for one really like the upload manager, because it is organized and lets you do things step by step. I find it helps me make sure I got everything right. It may be a bit overwhelming at first, but if one just takes it slow and reads through everything properly, it's really not that bad.
Site Helper
#9 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 5:17 PM
I believe that there are really four simple steps:
- Read and follow the MTS2:Creator_Guidelineswiki
- Get feedback to make it even better.
- Upload following the wizard.
- Be patient and accept people's advice.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#10 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 5:20 PM
If you're having technical problems using the Upload Wizard, please let us know exactly what's wrong - for example, you say it won't let you to to the next step; is there an error message? Do you just get a blank page? Or is something else happening?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 11:20 PM
I don't think they are moaning about guidelines Peni, they are having trouble understanding the upload wizard or technical problems. That is vastly different.

One area I had trouble on the first time I used it was uploading photos. Check and make sure that you are not trying to upload BMP's as these won't work. You will have to change them to jpgs or whatever the other file extension that is allowed. Took me a few goes ranting at the upload wizard before I realized the fault was on my end.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 26th Aug 2013 at 12:19 AM
You need to completely restart the upload process from scratch. All you have to do is allow people to upload the creations without going through the hassle of the current upload process, is a waste of time & energy
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#13 Old 26th Aug 2013 at 12:29 AM
Well, the process is there for a reason. The wizard is actually pretty easy to use - it looks more complicated than it is - and it helps to make sure you don't forget anything, don't have to go hunting around for the right forum to upload to, and so on. The moderation process is also there for a reason: to try to make sure that MTS provides quality CC for downloaders with all the information they need to know about each item, and to give us an opportunity to help creators improve their CC and work out any problems before things go "live". It would be simpler to just do away with it all, yes, definitely - but the result would be a big disappointment.

Have you sorted out your upload wizard problem, or do you still need help with it?

Mad Poster
#14 Old 26th Aug 2013 at 1:24 AM
Please Nysha/Whiterider, could you find another avatar?

That one's making my most broad-minded romance Sims blush!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 26th Aug 2013 at 1:28 AM
Yeah that^ That avatar is well... ick at the very least, but really looks like something I don't want to see.

~Call me Jo~
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#16 Old 26th Aug 2013 at 1:48 AM
You guys, it's an eye. And also HP did it.

(I changed it, but seriously - look again. Dude is rubbing his eye )

Mad Poster
#17 Old 26th Aug 2013 at 1:57 AM
I thought it was funny, but am glad you changed it back, anyway. Even knowing it was an eye didn't help much.
Forum Resident
#18 Old 26th Aug 2013 at 2:13 AM
Id personally upload it to another sims site. I come here for forums. But i absolutely despise the upload process. My uploads are always checked and fine, but they get rejected because you so called "Elites" don`t find it up to standard.
Alchemist
#19 Old 26th Aug 2013 at 2:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha

I know it's an eye. That's what made me sick. Ack. I mean... not that I wanted it NOT to be an eye... well, you get my drift.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#20 Old 26th Aug 2013 at 4:11 AM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 26th Aug 2013 at 4:28 AM.

It might be an eye, but it really looked like something else as well and it's not a something I want to see.

Quote: Originally posted by residenteviloutbreak
Id personally upload it to another sims site. I come here for forums. But i absolutely despise the upload process. My uploads are always checked and fine, but they get rejected because you so called "Elites" don`t find it up to standard.

The upload process is not that hard. Sure the first time you are faced with that wizard, particularly if you are a photo noob like me it is rather confusing, but once you have figured out what each box is and how they want the screenshots, it's not so bad. The only part I hate is the waiting around for the pm to say it's been approved.

Also 'Elites'? I don't think so. Try posting whatever it is in creators feedback and seeing what others say. Occasionally also moderators make mistakes. And you may have to just point it out or post in creator issues. I had that with my hotel that the mod missed where I had put the room prices and sent it back telling me to add room prices. Was that frustrating? yes. But the alternative is to allow everything and it's dog through. personally I already think certain sections of the upload process need tightening up, if it were even looser then as a downloader I would have to be clicking past a whole lot of junk to find the decent items. I do wish that people who got rejected could be helped more. But again, people aren't getting paid it's all voluntary.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#21 Old 26th Aug 2013 at 4:27 AM
I've never heard anyone here claim to be an elite, certainly not the mods. That's a perception on your part. There's a thousand reasons to turn down a submission in any medium. Only one of them is "it sucks." Rejection is not a statement on quality one way or another. Quality is subjective anyway.

If I got bent out of shape over every rejection I ever got I'd need a chiropractor every day.

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#22 Old 26th Aug 2013 at 12:07 PM
I'm not sure which uploads you're referring to, residenteviloutbreak, because both of your previous uploads were rejected because they were reuploads of MaxoidMonkey stuff from the Exchange, not because they weren't "up to standard". But if I've missed something and there are other rejections which you don't think were fair, please do feel free to post in Creator Issues, and hopefully I can at least explain the thinking behind our decisions - you might still disagree with the thinking, of course, but at least you'd be able to see that the rejections weren't just arbitrary.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#23 Old 26th Aug 2013 at 5:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
Please Nysha/Whiterider, could you find another avatar?

That one's making my most broad-minded romance Sims blush!

NO! I like the cat that thinks its a lion.

Oh wait ... as you were.

Incidentally, I really don't like HP's new avatar.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Forum Resident
#24 Old 26th Aug 2013 at 6:26 PM
From time to time I read an occassional post from someone that is in a way disgruntled by the upload system and how things are being judged.
I never made something myself, so I don't know anything about how they handle that here, but as I read it in the replies to the 'disgruntled', they at least try to be fair and the same time try to provide letting pass through CC that is worth having in game. If a person does not want to do this process or thinks he or she is treated unfairly, why not skip it all together and place the download on your own site? Or, playing devil's advocate for a moment, is there sóme thruth or point in what the 'disgruntled' trying to say? Because sometimes people do have a point, even if they don't bring it that nicely.
I'm curious which is it in this case.

~ English is my second language. Bear that in mind if you read my stories. :)
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#25 Old 26th Aug 2013 at 6:53 PM
mirjamsim2love - Sometimes disgruntled folks do have a point, and something gets mishandled, or is subject to a rule that had good reasons behind it but doesn't work so well in practice. We have a forum, Creator Issues (under Site Issues) where folks can post and talk to us about it if they disagree with something, think a rule needs changing, etc... As long as people are at least moderately courteous (we can get being upset, but screaming at us isn't gonna get anybody anywhere), we do try to address their concerns and upsets, and hopefully come to a point where everyone's at least satisfied with where it ends up - whether that means explaining the reasoning behind a decision in a different way, or changing something in the guidelines, or whatever. And we keep developing things all the time, trying to improve it for uploaders... made a BIG change to the moderation system at the beginning of the year, which seems to be generally well-received. Always little tweaks and changes happening, because any active site is always a bit of a work in progress.

maxon - Blame whiterider for that. It's better now. Muuuuch better.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Page 1 of 2