Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#26 Old 26th Aug 2013 at 7:06 PM
All I know is, everything that was asked of me is perfectly reasonable; and complaints about the upload process are often combined with denigration of the site and the quality of uploads to be found here.

In the creative professions, I hear plenty of people complain about the publishing process. I do it myself - writing has no career path to follow, the industry has numerous inefficient, outmoded, and arguably stupid policies to which it clings, and we all know that being good is not enough to make a sale, let alone a living. There's no such thing as an objective standard of merit and it's not unusual to find something that doesn't compare well to (your best assessment of) your own work succeeding when your own work fails. There's two approaches to this.

Professionals, and mature amateurs who seriously want to be professionals, complain and finish up with "So, back to the grindstone for me, and I'm going to look into X, Y, and Z as options."

Immature amateurs and egotists who feel entitled to publication finish up by pouting. And they don't ever get what they want, unless they give it to themselves.

And I'm sorry to break the news, Res, but - you're pouting.

Note that pouting and the professional attitude are independent variables. The pouter may well have created something wonderful; but so have a lot of other people. Praise and acceptance are nice to get, but I don't care how good your work is - expecting reward (in the form of praise and acceptance), making receipt of praise and acceptance a necessary part of your job satisfaction, will sour everything for you. Reward that isn't a delightful surprise, or a fair exchange at accepted market value (good luck achieving that one), is always insufficient.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 26th Aug 2013 at 11:46 PM
I'm just going to be the one who says it. MTS is not the Exchange, deal with it. If you don't like it, you are welcome to leave. If anyone wants the Exchange back, they are welcome to moan about it to EA, but stop expecting MTS to lower their standards just because you can't be bothered to work your butt off.

Now, I know being new here is intimidating. As I'm sure others may recall, I wasn't a huge fan in the past. I stuck to Stupid questions thread, and refused to wander off because I felt the environment was hostile and unfriendly to new players. Trust me, I get it. But then one moderator who sent me a warning was kind enough to listen to my "rawr you guys are mean"-rant, and that helped me realize there are people behind there that actually want you to become a part of the community and try your wings. They don't turn people down to be mean, or to hurt you, they are just trying to help you on your way.

Do I see things that are wrong with some of the rules/standards? Yes, I do. There are several categories where I disagree with the requirements in terms of "quality", but I am just one person and I realize that no rule is ever perfect. I much rather have some rules, than no rules. So often when I venture into old sections of downloads I end up frustrated that the screenshots don't properly show the item, or that it is lacking information. Because the standards for accepted CC is high, it makes it easier for me as a downloader. I know what I am getting, without having to download it and look in-game.

Are screenshot requirements a pain in the bajeebus? Yes, they really are. It has to be a certain file type, and size can't be bigger than this and this, but those requirements are there to make it easier on the hundreds of people who use the site and look at items. If you absolutely can't figure it out, odds are there is someone out there that is willing to give you advice, or if you are lucky, help you out and do it for you. You just need to stop pouting (to borrow Peni's expression) and approach it with a more positive attitude.

Like HP said, if you have a real concern regarding something, bring it up and they are sure to listen. They might not change it, but they will at least hear you out. I for one kind of wish moderators would be one step harsher in terms of screenshots, as there are uploads being accepted where I end up unsure of how things really look. That's just me, I like knowing what I'll get.
Site Helper
#28 Old 26th Aug 2013 at 11:48 PM
I'm really glad that MTS has standards.

On other sites, I often have to guess as to what I'm getting. What does the floor plan look like? Who knows, since the creator couldn't be bothered to include a picture? Which EPs are required? Who knows, since the creator didn't bother to tell us?

I love the fact that MTS requires creators to let people know what they are getting and what other requirements will be needed.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#29 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 7:12 AM
Hey gummibutt, if there's some logic behind your dislike of some of the quality rules, please make a thread in Creator Issues and let us know. We've been reexamining a lot of the rules and making small changes to a lot of things... And tbh, some of the more senior staff (like myself) have been on staff so long it can be really hard to put ourselves in users' shoes, so there may be something totally obvious that you can see that we just skip right over because we're thinking from a completely different perspective. You've got more than two brain cells together, so your input is especially valuable.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Mad Poster
#30 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 12:08 PM
Will do, if only because you called me gummibutt xD
Instructor
#31 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 2:06 PM
I know I was very much disgruntled over my rejections and thought all the people here were evil and uptight. I hated the old moderating system because it was very negative and critical in rejections (I hear the new system is more positive but I haven't tried it yet). BUT...after I calmed down and realized that the fault was with me, not the moderators, I changed my tune. Now I am spoiled by their system. This is the only place I download lots from because on other sites, you never know what you're getting, what CC/mods are in the lot, if the lot has been played and is corrupted, because they DON'T HAVE a moderating system. Anyone can upload whatever junk they want and corrupt your game and it's too bad, so sad for you!

So yeah, if you're super sensitive like me, the moderation process can be harsh, but the CC here is great...the hair section is a little lacking, though.
Forum Resident
#32 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 2:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
mirjamsim2love - Sometimes disgruntled folks do have a point, and something gets mishandled, or is subject to a rule that had good reasons behind it but doesn't work so well in practice. We have a forum, Creator Issues (under Site Issues) where folks can post and talk to us about it if they disagree with something,

I obviously never come there, so I was only referring to what I have read in this section of the forum. Either those are people for who that conversation didn't end to their satisfaction or they just complain(ed) here and didn't try to discuss it there or through mail.

Quote:
(we can get being upset, but screaming at us isn't gonna get anybody anywhere),
Of course, there is no reason to accept such behaviour. I never read it went that far, but when that happened in that other section or through mail I would not know about it anyway.

Quote:
we do try to address their concerns and upsets,

I believe that, read it already alone in this topic.
I did read once the requirements and stuff you need to do for the uploading process.
I can understand it can work frustrating with so many rules and regulations. They have a purpose and I do see that purpose, but I also can understand a bit that if you have made something and it gets rejected over and over because you forgot some details, at a certain point you think 'f it', they just don't want my stuff here.
Maybe because it is already free, they have put time and effort in it and it still is not good enough. I can understand that hurts.

I do agree it is better for the downloader, but maybe there is also sóme way to make certain concessions to the uploader? Don't know if that already is approached.

PS: I do read the other comments about what I brought up, but I can't see that now I am responding to this one and I only can respond once and not three or four posts behind each other, so I leave it at this for the moment.

~ English is my second language. Bear that in mind if you read my stories. :)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#33 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 6:19 PM
The other problem with this site is that there is no section where you put request for houses either!. This site is shit & the mods are a bunch of selfish little pricks that think that they are better than anyone else
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#34 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 6:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Corvon
The other problem with this site is that there is no section where you put request for houses either!. This site is shit & the mods are a bunch of selfish little pricks that think that they are better than anyone else
Try looking in this forum, there are plenty of us that take requests houses!

As has been said before, post your house/creation in the Creative Feedback Forum for advice on screenshots, build and decor before attempting to upload. We'll even be able to give you pointers for uploading too.

I disagree with your rude statement regarding the mods here. I have always found the staff here very helpful and polite!

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Mad Poster
#35 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 7:16 PM
Corvon, there are several posts in this thread alone where the mods freely talk about how the system isn't perfect, say they're doing the best they can to continue refining the process, and elicit suggestions from those who have problems with it, and all you can come up with in return is "This site is shit & the mods are a bunch of selfish little pricks..."

STFU and GTFO until you can stop being a little punk and grow the hell up! *furious*
Typical
#36 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 7:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mirjamsim2love
but I also can understand a bit that if you have made something and it gets rejected over and over because you forgot some details, at a certain point you think 'f it', they just don't want my stuff here.

That is why the changes required system is in place. Say you're uploading a house and everything is fine, but OOPS! Forgot the Floorplan shot! Or OOPS!, forgot the price/size whatever! Then instead of getting a rejection and having to go through the whole process over again, you can just edit your post and then it can be reviewed by a moderator again.

I have no idea if Corvon is trying to be a troll, and if that's the case I'll try not to feed him, but when people complain about the upload process without providing constructive criticism it can be a bit irksome. Everything in the upload wizard is there to help the creator, and to help the downloader. Nothing is meant to be tedious, and if something is, -tell us-, and we can try to fix it! Things can change, and they very often do! Also, when someone gets a rejection, we often go out of our way to provide advice and feedback on how to improve the creation and to also use the Creator Feedback Forum (if something gets rejected because of quality... why not post there? It's plenty friendly, and full of very helpful people. ). So calling us "a bunch of selfish little pricks" is, I'd say, quite untrue and rather unfair.

Sorry mirjamsim2love, the majority of this post isn't really meant to be aimed directly or even indirectly at you - it's just more convenient to have this post as a whole.
Scholar
#37 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 8:40 PM
Is it just me or are we seeing an odd increase of trollish behaviour lately from noobs?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#38 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 9:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Corvon

Oh wow, try to help someone and that's what we get back? I've found the mods to be friendly and helpful and as karen said many of us who upload lots here do take requests. You just have to know where to look. But it certainly won't be me, I'm done here after that display.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#39 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 10:09 PM
My own experience suggests, sweetbaby, that the level of trollish behavior on the internet remains constant most of the time, with upticks at peak vacation times; i.e., when trolls have time on their hands. Any given location on the internet may get more than its share of trollish behavior at certain times, either because it something happens to attract attention to the niche interest it serves (and the Sims4 announcement may well attract flies to simming sites, in which small pond MTS is a tolerably big fish), because a troll gets really bored and goes all out against a random target, or because some individual participant hacks somebody off and the troll takes a scattergun approach to harassment.

Anyway, Corvon's been reported. If he's sincere (and being both rude and unreasonable is no guarantee against sincerity) he'll have gone away; if he's a proper troll he's hanging around hoping we'll talk about him some more; so I suggest we cease to do so.

And I would like to assure residentevil that just because I described you as "pouting" does not mean I put you in anything like Corvon's class! We've all pouted at some point in our lives; and for most of us, it's luck rather than discretion that prevented us from pouting in public. It is in any case a temporary state, like leaving a fly open.

Whereas trolling is a choice to embrace the least attractive parts of one's character.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#40 Old 28th Aug 2013 at 8:19 AM
Well, if you think the site is shit, there's that handy little logout button under user tools. Nobody's forcing you to be here, and I assure you, there are thousands of other sims sites on the internet. Perhaps one of them would be more to your liking? But if you're going to be here, you're expected to act in a respectful and courteous manner, even if you're upset. Everyone else has been perfectly calm and expressed themselves without resorting to name-calling. As has been noted -numerous- times in this thread, if you have an issue with the way something is handled and you think a rule is illogical or whatever, as long as you tell us without calling us pricks, we're generally pretty good about listening, taking your ideas to heart, and working toward a solution that will hopefully satisfy (if not outright please) everyone involved. Every day, I'm reexamining older rules, going, "Why do we do it this way, this is too complicated, let's simplify it!" and generally trying to make things easier. User input is useful -if- it's helpful and constructive.

Besides, most of the mods don't even -have- pricks. We've got like... well, I was going to say a handful but that might be a bit insulting to those who may fill more than a a handful.... Mostly we're a bunch of pussies. Lots and lots of pussies.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Forum Resident
#41 Old 28th Aug 2013 at 11:55 AM
Quote:
The other problem with this site is that there is no section where you put request for houses either!. This site is shit & the mods are a *piep* that think that they are better than anyone else.

You started off okay in this thread, but now you're ruïning it for yourself. Don't know what your deal is, maybe very young in age and therefor still somewhat immature. Whatever it is that makes you act like this, there is something that we use in life called social etiquette. That also counts for the Internet. I advice you in a friendly manner to get familiar with that. It's for your own benefit, in the end.
Sorry if that is feeding a troll. I also post it for people who aren't but couldn't help themselves for a moment for non trollish reasons and maybe realise that you also need to behave decent online, not just irl.

Quote:
and complaints about the upload process are often combined with denigration of the site and the quality of uploads to be found here.

Ór follows a bit later, like in this thread.

Quote:
That is why the changes required system is in place. Say you're uploading a house and everything is fine, but OOPS! Forgot the Floorplan shot! Or OOPS!, forgot the price/size whatever! Then instead of getting a rejection and having to go through the whole process over again, you can just edit your post and then it can be reviewed by a moderator again.

Thanks for showing a bit behind the curtains of the process. Interesting for people who never used it, but just have a general interest in it, like I have. This seems a good 'upgrade' of the system.

Quote:
Sorry mirjamsim2love, the majority of this post isn't really meant to be aimed directly or even indirectly at you - it's just more convenient to have this post as a whole.

That's okay. Not offended in the least. I understand perfectly you wanted to combine things in one post.

~ English is my second language. Bear that in mind if you read my stories. :)
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#42 Old 28th Aug 2013 at 12:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
maxon - Blame whiterider for that. It's better now. Muuuuch better.

Ah yes ... mmmm <suspicious>

@Peni - bang on the nose, as usual.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#43 Old 28th Aug 2013 at 12:57 PM
Another positive thing of the new system is that if say, screenshots aren't your strong side, you still get positive feedback on other aspects that may be more down your alley. The star rating system is a great way of giving positive and constructive criticism at the same time. I didn't mind the old system either, but the new one is a lot more encouraging and not as scary if you need to fix something in your upload.
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 28th Aug 2013 at 10:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by karen lorraine
Try looking in this forum, there are plenty of us that take requests houses!

As has been said before, post your house/creation in the Creative Feedback Forum for advice on screenshots, build and decor before attempting to upload. We'll even be able to give you pointers for uploading too.

I disagree with your rude statement regarding the mods here. I have always found the staff here very helpful and polite!

Kaz I agree 200% with you , they have been very patient with me and honestly using alot of CC makes the Moderators job harder but they do it with no complaint. I see it this way if you don't like this site, go elsewhere, and good luck in finding a better one
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#45 Old 28th Aug 2013 at 10:57 PM
I find the star system usually better, although I will say I was quite disappointed how it was used for my hostel. Made me wonder if the upload mod was judging things by 'prettiness' instead of what was intended. I spent a lot of time using only maxis items making a grungy garden with old railway tracks, the works and it came back with a 3 on landscaping. I was quite disappointed. That got no more on landscaping then houses were I just put down a few simple flower beds. I've seen other people say an upload mod didn't 'get' what their upload was about. Maybe there could be a section in the wizard for putting notes to the mods to say what the upload is about/what the uploader is trying to achieve.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Page 2 of 2