Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
Original Poster
#51 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 5:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GnatGoSplat
I've never used TSR content (other than TSR Workshop) and didn't even realize their CC was not free. I just always assumed the best CC was here. Guess I'll need to check it out and see what I've been missing.

LOL! If everyone on earth always assumed the grass was greenest on the side they happened to find themselves on, what a happy load of campers we would all be!

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Advertisement
Test Subject
#52 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 5:28 PM
I can almost hear my computer crying at all the CC that's going to be added. About time they were a free site
Top Secret Researcher
#53 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 5:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by varpunen
Everything seems to show up okay but downloading isn't working right yet, at least not for me (using Firefox). When I klick the download button, it takes a moment and then I get the message "Thank you downloading", even though I didn't get anything. Tried several times. Maybe I'll try again later.

Or maybe that's the joke part.

Liked Firefox very much but had way too many problems with downloads so switched to Chrome. No problems with that.
Lab Assistant
#54 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 5:57 PM
*eyebrow raised* While I'm glad the site is free, I can't help but think there's a guillotine waiting to fall on our heads while they dance around poking us with sticks. "GOTCHA! OO HA HA!"
Mad Poster
#55 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 6:05 PM
This is great news! I have enjoyed some of their downloads in the past, mostly for TS1 and TS2. And if it means that the end of the paysite war is finally here, I am all for peace. *waves white flag*

I'm curious, though... and I am seriously not trying to start any conflicts here, but... does this mean that their files will no longer have that alleged spyware that checked who was sharing the pay files and what have you? I had read about that in the past, and I really am just curious, since I would think it would no longer be necessary, now that everything is free. I just don't really want any of that kind of suspicious crap on my computer because I really would like to start a downloading spree there soon, especially after seeing those really cool vehicles in the above screenshots.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
Original Poster
#56 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 6:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by frankie
I'm curious, though... and I am seriously not trying to start any conflicts here, but... does this mean that their files will no longer have that alleged spyware that checked who was sharing the pay files and what have you? I had read about that in the past, and I really am just curious, since I would think it would no longer be necessary, now that everything is free. I just don't really want any of that kind of suspicious crap on my computer because I really would like to start a downloading spree there soon, especially after seeing those really cool vehicles in the above screenshots.

If you ever downloaded recolours for TS2 you would have had "suspicious crap" in your packages as Numenor set it up to leave a watermark in any package that used his - whatever it was called that helped to make the recolours. Don't worry about marker data in the packages, they cannot touch anything on your computer.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Mad Poster
#57 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 6:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
If you ever downloaded recolours for TS2 you would have had "suspicious crap" in your packages as Numenor set it up to leave a watermark in any package that used his - whatever it was called that helped to make the recolours. Don't worry about marker data in the packages, they cannot touch anything on your computer.

Okay, thank you for clarifying that because I really had no idea how that worked. Whew, now, I can spree away!
Instructor
#58 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 7:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tigerdyhr
Turns out, you can chose featured creators, and from there find the good stuff. Omnom, I'll be raiding a bit - they do have some insanely talented creators. Some of my personal favorites are NataliS for clothes/accessories, Cyclonesue for building-stuff and Gosik for makeup...

Don't wait up, I'll be a while.

Thanks for sharing some of your favorite creators, I used to be a member at TSR ages ago and have lost touch with what's good there. Even a small list will make the slog through TSR content easier!

They call me The Seeker.
I've been searching low and high.
Forum Resident
#59 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 7:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ButchSims
uh-huh. It doesn't matter to me one whit if they are free or not. I don't have anything from that site in my game, don't want to have anything to do with it at all, and I won't be visiting the site in the future, so they can't make money off of ads from me.

This, this, a thousand times this.
Field Researcher
#60 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 7:29 PM
They won't be making money off of me because of Adblock. I can go guilt-free.

>)~

I am not pretty. I am not beautiful. I am as radiant as the sun.

coming soon to a tumblr near you:
The Disney 10-Gen Legacy Challenge
Hunger Games Challenge
Scholar
#61 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 8:13 PM
Oh my God and my game was so clean and fast... All the new content I'll be installing from now on.. x_x
Theorist
#62 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 8:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
LOL! If everyone on earth always assumed the grass was greenest on the side they happened to find themselves on, what a happy load of campers we would all be!

That must explain why I've always been such a happy and well-adjusted person.

Well, till now anyway. Now I'm filled with the inner torment of knowing I've been missing out on greener grass.

At least MTS has the best Sims forums, right?

Am I the only one who isn't a big fan of Photoshopped screenshots? When I want to download CC, I want to see exactly how it's going to look in my game. I don't care how nice it can look with a fancy background and Photoshop filters applied to it.

Resident wet blanket.
Top Secret Researcher
#63 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 8:34 PM
So......Hell HAS frozen over. It had to happen some time.
Mad Poster
#64 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 8:47 PM
Tried to show restraint.....ended up dowloading 20 kids clothes in like 5 minutes.
Scholar
#65 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 9:22 PM
If you're into building houseboats, I highly recommend Madaya's Caravan sets. Another good artist is Wondymoon, particularly the build stuff.
Mad Poster
#66 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 9:28 PM
Okay. After telling myself to stop and then not stopping for a solid hour and a half, I'm finally done...for now.
Mad Poster
#67 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 9:44 PM
Madaya have some really nice build mode stuff. I love her Maxis completer sets. For patterns I still love Ung999, even when she went pay. It's not overly photos hopped and the detail is excellent. I am not too fond of all her furniture, some pieces are really nice, others might just not my style. I love Ung's rug sets, so detailed that you can use miscellaneous patterns and they still look good. There is some creator that make lots of kid clothes, I think it's Evi. I have to go check, but I got some cute toddler sets, especially boots and snowsuits. Adorable.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Alchemist
#68 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 9:45 PM Last edited by varpunen : 24th Oct 2013 at 10:11 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by barbarat
Liked Firefox very much but had way too many problems with downloads so switched to Chrome. No problems with that.

Well, I have actually never had any problems with Firefox (not even back at the TSR) and I really like using it. I'm not sure if this is connected to Firefox because I just tested the TSR with Explorer and still kept getting the "Thanks for downloding" note without the item. I don't have Chrome but maybe it's just some glitch as mentioned before.

Love your avatar, by the way.

Edit: Just read through one of threads back at TSR and many seem to have the same problem as me.
Field Researcher
#69 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 10:00 PM
I'll add Simcredible! to the list of faves. And Shino&KCR, especially for kitchens. And Pralinesims, riccinumbers, mensure and Shakeshaft.

I think those (plus the ones mentioned above: Madaya74, Gosik, NataliS, and Cyclonesue) are my faves. High quality work, for the most part, and GREAT sets, IMO.
P.S. oh and DOT, for lighting mostly! OMG lighting!....
Mad Poster
#70 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 10:18 PM
I do love Shino&KCR, the furniture sets are so pretty, detailed too. Mensure make nice furniture too and she stayed free. I tend to appreciate furniture and patterns that color the way I intend the hue to show, not having to darken the colors so the item looks right. I like light colors too. If I find the hue I pick doesn't look right, out of my game it goes. Simsfanbg comes to mind, I don't dare use anything by them.

*smacking my forehead* Hell yes for Cyclonesue, especially the grunge stuff. Wooymoon (or however it's spelled), just started getting into their work. I have some nice bed blankets and bedroom stuff by them.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#71 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 11:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40
Yeah, got an e-mail today. So, they offer payments be made to them so you can use the site without ads, do that mean ad-block will not work on the site? That seems like an either this or that situation.
AdBlock works fine on TSR ads. They will be hoping that, if you use the site for free but get something you consider valuable out of it - whether that's CC, tools, discussion etc. - you'll choose not to block the ads in appreciation for those free services. MTS hopes the same. If you want to take a principled stand against TSR, then as someone acquainted with the details of running an ad-supported site (although not, of course, as a for-profit commercial venture), I would have to suggest that you just don't access the site.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
#72 Old 25th Oct 2013 at 12:08 AM
They can change the site, but they can't change the content on it. A vast majority of their content is crap.

Now on a more positive outlook; It is nice to see TSR come to the light side, the side which only the real cookies exist.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Theorist
#73 Old 25th Oct 2013 at 12:09 AM
Default I'm just a little concerned...
After being around the Sims Community for years, I am just still concerned. Several downloads at TSR resulted in viruses...

Just sayin'--not blaming anyone. Some stuff there is really great and I am sure I will be tempted.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Field Researcher
#74 Old 25th Oct 2013 at 12:13 AM
IMO, just download from people that people over HERE mention and stay away from the other stuff. The ones mentioned in this post are really excellent in quality and not giving corrupted/bugged/virus(ed) files.

I only download from people I know, trust, and/or have been verified as good by people I know and trust.

I am not pretty. I am not beautiful. I am as radiant as the sun.

coming soon to a tumblr near you:
The Disney 10-Gen Legacy Challenge
Hunger Games Challenge
Mad Poster
#75 Old 25th Oct 2013 at 12:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
They can change the site, but they can't change the content on it. A vast majority of their content is crap.

I don't know about that. A lot of the furniture sets that I found there are better than the ones here.
Page 3 of 10