Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Mar 2014 at 12:45 AM
Default Family portraits
Are you satisfied with how the family photo of your Sims turns out? The one where you can see them from the neighborhood view, or while they're in the family bin.

Most of the time, I am. I sometimes get so into it, that a pose a Sim freshly made makes will make me think twice about choosing their personality (ie, the teenager with a hand on their hip and the other hand like holding a cigarette in a fancy way).

Sometimes, I'd like to change it. I mostly dislike portraits where the wife is on the left of the husband. The left side of that pose is more masculine-like (and the left Sim appears taller) than the right one.

However, the most interesting and unique poses would be when a Sim is angry at a family member (or the entire household), mostly because I rarely have Sim being titted off at their roomates/relatives.

What are your thoughts? Have you ever paid attention to them? Have you ever wanted to change the way they turned out? Bring it on.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 2nd Mar 2014 at 12:49 AM
One thing that annoys me is that it's always the female sim holding the baby/toddler. Even if I made the male sim and toddler first and he was holding her in the CAS screen, it switches to the female.

I had a teen once with that cigarette pose who actually had an accessory cigarette, so for him it was perfect hehe.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 2nd Mar 2014 at 12:57 AM
I had one that the mother was holding the toddler and the dad was holding the twins baby daughters.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 2nd Mar 2014 at 1:06 AM
I often have the male holding the baby. Off the top of my head, two couples are currently in that pose. One pair has an infant and a teen, and the other has an infant and a child. The husband is holding the baby both times.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 2nd Mar 2014 at 1:10 AM
Maybe I just have really bad luck then lol.
Undead Molten Llama
#6 Old 2nd Mar 2014 at 1:14 AM
I had a family where the teenage boy was holding his infant sister, the twin child-age girls were both doing the ta-daa! pose, and the parents were doing the moose ears pose. Yep, that about summed up that family. And I've had plenty of instances of the dad being the one holding the baby, too. I think that's just luck of the draw.

But generally, I don't pay too much attention to the loading screen poses. I learn more about my pixels' personalities by the things they choose to do when they're free-willing.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Scholar
#7 Old 2nd Mar 2014 at 5:37 AM
I find them interesting; I always wonder what makes them choose some poses over another; is it their personalities? The angry ones are the most interesting; I first noticed it when I opened the Grunt household, and I noticed Ripp was looking down angrily with his arms crossed while everyone else was smiling (since Tank left, he now has a normal pose). When Mary-Sue and Daniel were having problems, their pose changed so they looked angrily at each other; that combined with Angela "hand on the hip" pose and Lilith's "I hate you all" pose made me think "Wow, THIS is supposed be a Pleasant family?"
Mad Poster
#8 Old 2nd Mar 2014 at 1:14 PM
Yes, that will happen-if a couple gets into a domestic 'situation' their poses will change the next time you load up the house-or when one of them is ticked at life itself.
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 2nd Mar 2014 at 1:52 PM
I kind of wish that the game saved every new picture--you know, so you could have a kind of automatic chronicle of your family. A new picture when someone was born or grew up or was adopted. Some of them are very cute.

I've got one or two things on MTS, but most of my stuff is on my main site here:
http://simcessories.blogspot.com/
(Now recruiting budding creators.)
Mad Poster
#10 Old 2nd Mar 2014 at 2:12 PM
There are about 8 poses for each age to choose from, and they will get one of them. If sims are married, they'll get a couple pose (there are two kinds of grumpy couple poses, if they're angry at each other).

If sims are in a bad mood, they will get a grumpy pose (particularly teens). If they're in a good mood, they'll get a good mod pose.

If they have babies, someone will hold them (twins to quads usually means one sim holds two babies). Parents usually hold babies (female sims will usually hold babies), and if there are teens, these will hold toddlers if the parents are holding the babies. If there are too few arms, the rest of the toddlers will be on the floor, while extra babies might not show at all.

I usually take what I get. If I want a proper family portrait, I make one ingame. The "family portrait" in the loading screen is just a loading screen to me.

I've recently had some fun making the poses missing from JD's loading-screen posebox into a posebox of my own. Particularly the "holding baby" poses...
Mad Poster
#11 Old 2nd Mar 2014 at 2:32 PM
It's in front of my face for a little while, so I pay attention. One thing I've noticed is that certain characteristics are prioritized over others.

For example, Red and Livva Ann Onions spent their entire lives occupying the center of the loading screen, with Red making bunny ears behind Livva Ann's head. (Which seemed to me especially sweet since Red is far more serious than Livva Ann.) When they turned elder, however, their son Oliver and his wife took over the center slot, with Red and Livva Ann on either side of them. I miss Red making the bunny ears. Similarly, Kitty Hawkins was always either kissing Goz on the cheek or holding a baby or looking at the baby he was holding, until they turned elder; and they had to give up center stage when Pigeon and her husband moved in. Kitty, as an elder, often takes up a provocative pose on the floor which I usually associate with full-to-overflowing YA houses.

When Skylar Todd had his alien baby in his friend Amy Centowski's house, the loading screen consigned him to the side while Amy and her husband displayed his little Estella and their toddler sprawled on the floor. This really stuck in my craw; the more so since Amy and her husband tended to block Sky from looking after Estella in play, too.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Alchemist
#12 Old 2nd Mar 2014 at 3:09 PM
Well, some look really stupid (such as the kids poses) but I love when there are two adults holding each holding a baby.
Theorist
Original Poster
#13 Old 2nd Mar 2014 at 3:31 PM
Is there a way to tell the game to take a different set of photos? Ie, put Sims in different poses than they're in now?
Mad Poster
#14 Old 2nd Mar 2014 at 4:17 PM
Changes ingame (new baby, different relationships, and so on) will usually change the poses. I don't think there's a way to tell the game exactly which pose you want them in.
#15 Old 2nd Mar 2014 at 7:49 PM
I personally hate when a Sim has to hold two babies, no matter what their family situation is. Either a single parent, triplets/quads kicked in, or multiple pregnancies in the house, it just looks bad. When a Sim has to hold two babies they don't look at it with loving eyes, but instead appear to be annoyed. And yes even one baby can be frustrating at times, but can't they just look happy in the loading screen?

I do enjoy looking at the pictures of families on the loading screen though. The way Matthew Lightyear (a teen) always held his brother Benjamin instead of William when they were toddlers. How Noah Carroll had his back turned from his parents and younger sister when he discovered both of his parents cheating on each other, which led to a divorce of course. How Adam Piccolo was clearly always the outcast standing in the picture with his brother Jacob having his arms wrapped around his wife Leslie with two sons standing in front of them. And how Destiny Cerise, a single mother, always looked at her unplanned daughter's face with a slight smile because even if she was uncalled for, Destiny still loves her.
I love those poses so much I always wanted a way to have my sims do them during the game for photos. Like the "welcome home, honey" sort of kiss, the "sassy hip" teenager, and two parents overlooking their newborn miracle.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 2nd Mar 2014 at 8:06 PM
Try JD's loading screen posebox --> http://jaydeesims.blogspot.com/ (the white with greytoned faces)

Pic of the baby poses:
Mad Poster
#17 Old 2nd Mar 2014 at 8:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
(I've been working on extracting them and making them usable ingame, although I'm not quite done with it)

Will you be sharing them when they're done? I'd love to be able to have the holding babies poses in game - it's so hard to get family pictures where you can actually see everyone's faces if there are infants in the family, especially if there are two or more babies to deal with!
Mad Poster
#18 Old 3rd Mar 2014 at 5:16 AM
Those babies look terribly snooty lol.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 3rd Mar 2014 at 11:53 AM
Yeah, those baby-holding poses look great. You should definitely share when you're done, simmer22.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 3rd Mar 2014 at 5:05 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 3rd Mar 2014 at 8:39 PM.
I'll probably share them if I ever get back to the project (some of the animations didn't work as posebox animations). I also made an infant posebox while I was at it, but the project is for the moment on my big shelf of "stuff to finish".

Edit: decided to do a few fixes on it (less work than I feared), and uploaded it here. Might add more to it later.
Scholar
#21 Old 3rd Mar 2014 at 6:58 PM
I always look at them too. Hey, they're just there, in front of me, and there's nothing else to do meanwhile
Some are really cute, and they give you a hint about the family relations, so it's a nice loading screen imho.

Quote: Originally posted by StrangeTownChick
I kind of wish that the game saved every new picture--you know, so you could have a kind of automatic chronicle of your family. A new picture when someone was born or grew up or was adopted. Some of them are very cute.

I would like to save some of those pictures too. I would not mind it not being automatic, if I simply coult at least get the snapshot somehow. Is it possible?
Undead Molten Llama
#22 Old 3rd Mar 2014 at 8:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Amura
I would like to save some of those pictures too. I would not mind it not being automatic, if I simply coult at least get the snapshot somehow. Is it possible?

If you use a screen-capturing program, sure. Just take a capture while your family is loading. It won't be stored in the game, of course, but you'll have it on your hard drive. I don't think the in-game camera works on loading screens...but then, I've never really used it, so what do I know?

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 3rd Mar 2014 at 8:22 PM
The in-game camera is not even available during loading screens or cutscenes - no HUD. Though come to think of it I've never tried hitting the C key at those times. Hmmm...

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#24 Old 3rd Mar 2014 at 8:32 PM
You can also do an ingame movie, but I've had varied results with that option.
A screenshot program is the best option. I use Gadwin. It's free, and does not add numbers or anything else on the picture itself.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 3rd Mar 2014 at 8:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Edit: decided to do a few fixes on it (less work than I feared), and uploaded it here. Might add more to it later.

*heartfarts at simmer22* Thank you for sharing it! :-)
Page 1 of 2