Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Mar 2014 at 2:25 PM
Default Do you have the clutter bug?
Just wondering how many of you obsessively clutter everything in your Sims homes. I like my Sims houses to look like someone lives in them, so a desk can't just have a computer on it, it needs pens and whatever may fit that sim. A bathroom must have toothbrushes, toilet paper, make up, soap. The kitchen dish detergent, plates, pots, groceries. And so on and so on.

OSMPs are all over the place, and I can spend forever cluttering up a house to make it look more like you'd expect a house to look in real life. How far do you go with your cluttering? Not at all? Some? Crazy bananza?

Examples below
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 15th Mar 2014 at 2:33 PM
Generally not at all. Most of my sims are too poor to afford clutter! I sometimes have rules that certain kinds of clutter must be present in homes - the most frequently used things are towel rails and toilet paper! I find it weird having houses without them. But generally there is very little clutter in my sims' homes, and it's very rare for me to use OMSP's to place clutter. I do sometimes use them for table-top photo frames, though, as photo frames are the type of non-functional (though of course towels/toilet roll aren't really required in the game) clutter in my sims' homes.
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#3 Old 15th Mar 2014 at 3:10 PM
If I am building for a contest then I add lots of clutter, using OMSPs. If I'm building for upload, I will use some clutter, but not too much because I don't think the downloader would want a lot. A few well chosen pieces of clutter, whether game or CC can set off a lot really well. I rarely play nowadays, but when I did I didn't really use clutter, if I went back to playing now I probably would.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Site Helper
#4 Old 15th Mar 2014 at 3:19 PM
I hate clutter, so I just never use it.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 15th Mar 2014 at 3:22 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 16th Mar 2014 at 12:57 AM.
If it's for photoshoots or story pics, I clutter a lot (which is to say most of the time)

If it's for a house I want to be playable with as few hinders as possible, I don't clutter at all. Same goes for lots I plan to upload. Those don't get anyhing that needs an OMSP (and I try to put as little CC into them as possible).

But yeah, I love clutter. I've got tonnes of it in my DL folder.
Instructor
#6 Old 15th Mar 2014 at 3:28 PM
I love clutter! ^^ More exactly, I love adding those useless and apparently insignificant little objects all around my sims' houses, because I like taking photos for stories (or just for fun), so they make everything feel more real. I don't like houses that look like they're part of an advertisement.
But ... I'm currently playing strictly ... medieval (not exactly medieval,more like a combination of Middle Ages, the Renaissance Era with some Victorian and Regency elements), so I have to set measures to my 'itch' to download all those adorable, modern things that I find every day all over the internet XD There's a lot of Medieval clutter too, but not all of it is so appealing to me. I'm also trying not to clutter my downloads folder ^^" (which is a little laughable, now that I actually said it XD ), so I don't download things that would probably just run idle and slow my game. Or at least I'm trying not to download those things XD
Well, I guess my philosophy is ... If there's some free space around the house, why not add a new flowerpot? Or a jewelry box? Or some sheets of paper. Maybe some earrings? Or even a small ring. I'm sure even those nobles that lived in huge mansions had children that threw about their toys all over the house.
Test Subject
#7 Old 15th Mar 2014 at 3:35 PM
I love clutter but I can't seem to find the clutter I want for bathrooms and such. But those photos are beautiful. :D

I like decorating my homes, often I even overdo it even if it is for my poorer sims. No house is a house without being messy in my opinion. ^^
Alchemist
#8 Old 15th Mar 2014 at 3:37 PM
Crazy bonanza. I love clutter, and I should stay out of this thread, for the sake of my download folder (I won't, though *goes to find that flat iron*).
Field Researcher
#9 Old 15th Mar 2014 at 3:53 PM
I used to love finding and downloading clutter but I only used it for photos in LJ Maxis-match dares. When I stopped participating because they stopped posting dares, I stopped looking for clutter and removed it all from my downloads folder. It's not something I use in my regular gameplay at all. Saves a bit of loading time. Or not. But it definitely keeps the deco buy mode section from being 'cluttered' up.
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 15th Mar 2014 at 3:58 PM
When it's a house I'll play, I don't clutter (I rarely even decorate unless a sim rolls a want for it) but if I'm making a house just to decorate and look at, which I do sometimes, there's so much clutter it's ridiculous. Cause for me that's half the point of having a house to look at: finding a ton of clutter that the imaginary inhabitants would have lying around!

I've got one or two things on MTS, but most of my stuff is on my main site here:
http://simcessories.blogspot.com/
(Now recruiting budding creators.)
Theorist
#11 Old 15th Mar 2014 at 4:21 PM
I'm currently playing a tropical island-themed neighborhood (distant cultures etc.) so I don't clutter Sims houses per se, but I tend to stuck as many (functional) objects in a room as possible, leaving space just enough for Sims to route to an object (but the rooms aren't bunch of randomly placed furniture!).
Because households I play are mostly 8+, and houses they live in are small, they all tend to sleep in a 5x6 bedrooms or such. Basically, houses and everything in them is packed up tight, while most of the action is happening outside, which is an entirely different story.

As for actual 'clutter' that came with (I believe) FT, I rarely use it in my 'today'-themed neighborhoods. I tend to put the harddrive/administrative stuff on the office desks sometimes, and that's about it.
Theorist
#12 Old 15th Mar 2014 at 4:25 PM
I will use some clutter in homes, often to block spots where I don't want sims to put things, or to fill in a corner I don't know what to do with. For community lots, I will use somewhere between a little and a lot more clutter, to make it seem like the type of lot I want. (For instance, the science building on campus will have a lot of lab-type items in it, in addition to game items that skill logic.)

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Mad Poster
#13 Old 15th Mar 2014 at 4:29 PM
I love clutter but find I don't use a lot of it right now. That's changing with all the ownable businesses I have. I love sending my sims shopping for stuff, so when they come home with an inventory full of clutter I brought on a whim, I'm much more likely to actually use it in their homes.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 15th Mar 2014 at 4:49 PM
I must create more clutter...*goes back to meshing*

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Scholar
#15 Old 15th Mar 2014 at 5:27 PM
I really enjoy artfully placed clutter in my sims homes that match the people who live there, I have a crazy amount of it (half of which came with various lots I've downloaded), my deco bin takes longer to get thru than my clothing options (crazy amount there too).
I love the clutter, but playing my apox hood had really taught me how to live without it... that being said, I still have too much fun grungifing the shelters they live in.
Forum Resident
#16 Old 15th Mar 2014 at 6:28 PM
If I was still doing sims stories and pictures then I would love to be able to clutter my homes as the OP has done, but I can't get the hang of OMSP's. I have tonnes of clutter objects in my game but only use a couple.

I don't use them at all if I'm not doing stories though.
Forum Resident
#17 Old 15th Mar 2014 at 7:01 PM
I like looking at clutter in Sim pictures, and it's fun to put together in decorating contests. For actual playing, I like using the Maxis deco in spots that don't have another purpose, and always on the inaccessible corner of kitchen cabinets. My RL house has enough clutter that I prefer my Sim houses to be less cluttered.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 15th Mar 2014 at 8:04 PM
I tend to keep my Sims' houses fairly clutter-free. I've got more than enough clutter in my Real Life house without my Sims' houses becoming cluttered too. In fact I have to peer over all the junk lying on my desk to see the computer screen!

Some of my Romance Sims' houses are becoming cluttered with vases of roses though. I think I'll have to download some OMSPs instead of them buying a new table after every single date!
Alchemist
#19 Old 15th Mar 2014 at 8:23 PM
Yes! All my sims get clutter, so it gets a bit more personal
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#20 Old 15th Mar 2014 at 9:05 PM
I find it interesting that several posters say they clutter when they don't play, but don't with houses they'd use. For me, it's the other way around. I'd never clutter a house I'm intending to upload, and I don't clutter houses of Sims I'm only using as backup characters to my main stories, but any house that I actually play must have at least the basic things. The more frequently it gets played, the more clutter there will be.

@Mr_Valentine: Your profile doesn't list AL, and without AL, OMSPs are tricky and A LOT more annoying. I barely used them before, because you never have one the right size. But with the height-adjustment of AL there is a wonderful set that will work on any surface anywhere, and all you need are three omsps.

My downloads folder is probably very sad, but I do limit myself to clutter I actually use, so I tell myself it's okay, haha.
Top Secret Researcher
#21 Old 15th Mar 2014 at 9:49 PM
I used to because it made their homes look nicer but it'd also slow it down on my old computer so I had to stop over doing it. Now with my new computer I don't have that habit so I guess thats a good thing. :D
Mad Poster
#22 Old 15th Mar 2014 at 9:50 PM
A little clutter, but not much. And I rarely use OSMPs.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Field Researcher
#23 Old 15th Mar 2014 at 9:55 PM
I don't use much clutter. Most households get some plants and a painting here an there as decoration, but no heaps of clutter. Not worth the effort. :P
Scholar
#24 Old 15th Mar 2014 at 11:58 PM
It varies. If I'm simply playing, no, the houses tend to be relatively clutter-free. I might add a tiny bit, but the vast majority of furnishings in these houses are functional. I find sims have enough difficulty routing through their homes as it is!
However, if said house is to be played but photographed as well due to its role in a story, then I'll clutter it a bit, just to make it look lived-in. OMSPs get used a lot here so as not to tie up space so much - especially in the kitchen, lounge and study areas. My sims still need to USE those counters/desks etc!
A house that's built/decorated for a contest tends to be the most cluttered of the lot, and while I'll still use OMSPs, I won't worry as much about whether or not an actual slot is taken up. If the item looks fine placed in the EAxis-made slot, then I'll leave it there, but if not, that's when the OMSPs get roped in.

No need to use my full name, "Selly" will do just fine.
Scholar
#25 Old 16th Mar 2014 at 12:24 AM
Funny thread !
Some of my more financially-challenged sims will have more cluttered houses.
I have some objects in downloads , but also enjoy using those rugs that look like discarded clothing . That way , it looks grungy , but the sim can still navigate through their sloppy house.
" moveobjects on" is nice for placing some clutter on the ground... like the set with a power tool and nails, magazine stacks, etc.

" Inama Nushif "
Page 1 of 3