Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 6:57 PM
Yep, just paste that neighborhood (the entire N008 folder, or whatever number you're up to) right in with the others.

Edit: Actually, let me clarify that -- if the number of your neighborhood (N008 etc.) is the same as one of the hoods the game automatically creates, you'll need to delete the game-created folder before you put yours in, or it'll paste over and be a bad thing, as was mentioned upthread. If your custom 'hood's number is unique, just go ahead and paste it right in there.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#27 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 10:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
@Jo: Yeah, I think 512MB is quite a ways underpowered for what you're wanting to do. You're a step ahead of where I was, when I had a fanless 256MB card, but just playing the way I was playing for a couple of months started frying that one. If I were you, I'd put more effort into upgrading the video than the system RAM right now. My game doesn't load any faster with the new card, but playing is certainly far more enjoyable. And the level of card I got can be had for pretty cheap, at least here. It's probably cheaper than upgrading your system RAM, at any rate, although I haven't looked at RAM prices lately. Ethan maxed out my machine's RAM when he bought it for me at a library surplus sale; he knew I really wanted an older machine because I didn't want Win 7, much less 8. My machine runs Vista, and I've got no problems at all now that I've got the new video card.

I'm on Windows 7 and want to stay there, Windows 8 looks like a pile of junk. So if I get a new card do I have to look at other stuff with that? I can't just tell out tech friend to put in "super new card" He will say well this and this also need to be changed, won’t he? Last time he said RAM is really cheap and it's the card that would cost quite a bit more.

Quote: Originally posted by flyingmouse77
Which OS are you using? I have Windows 7 and found my RAM status under Control Panel -> System and then right there before you even click System, mine has a click-able "View amount of RAM and processor speed."

I don't see that at all. It has System and Security as the first heading with small headings under that being 'review your computer status', 'Back up your computer', 'find and fix problems' Then there are more larger headings with smaller headings and nothing saying RAM.

But apart from finding that 512MB online I'm sure I've seen that amount on start up.

Sorry to derail your thread OP. Although I think you have as much info as you need to install and get your hood back safely. Just make sure you have it saved to an external hard drive or a stick. Also make sure to patch Click the auto link if you don't have the patches saved.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Undead Molten Llama
#28 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 11:18 PM
It depends, Jo. The thing with video cards is that if you get a really high end one, then it will require more power, which means you might (or might not) need a new power supply, too. It depends on what you've got in there and what else you've got in your machine that uses power, like if you have a lot of CD drives or USB things that are always on that use power, too. I looked up the specs of my machine (because it wasn't custom-built) to find out what it had and then I looked for the best card I could find that wouldn't require me to also upgrade the power supply, mostly because I lacked confidence in my own ability to switch them out. If you're shopping for cards online, most will tell you the power requirements in the item listing's "system requirements." So the key is to find out what you've got. Whoever built your machine might know. Or, you (or your hubbo) can open up the case and look. It's a box-shaped component that will be near wherever you plug in the power cord because you're actually plugging the power cord into the power supply, which then distribute power to the rest of the machine. In mine, I could see the power supply's label without having to do anything other than opening the case, and it clearly said 375W on there, amongst some other numbers that I didn't understand, which jived with what I found by looking up my machine's make/model online.

So then I went looking for video cards that required a 375W (or less) power supply. The one I got required 300W. The "step-ups" from that card required 400W. Which I MIGHT have been able to get away with because there's very little else in this system. But I didn't want to risk it, so I went with the "step-down" card which, as it turns out, is just fine for me.

The only other thing you might need is an adapter. Most cards these days don't have a VGA out connector, but most lower-end monitors still want that. Most cards have DVI out, which is rectangle-shaped and has a billion pins. So, if you don't already have one, you might need a DVI-to-VGA adapter. I already had one, but I think they cost about $30 or $40 USD.

So, you might not necessarily want a "super new card," but rather a good but entry-level one, probably a bit older. I think the newest cards use DDR5 RAM. Mine is DDR3. Also, your machine might be newer than mine, so you might already have a more powerful power supply than the one I have. So The key would be to find that out and then find a card that will do what you need it to do without having to get a new power supply, too, which will save you money.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#29 Old 19th Apr 2014 at 12:06 AM
DH says I have at least 375W or more on the power supply. He also says I have a VGA connector. The computer is some years old and it's been upgraded twice. I'm guessing it's full of different parts. $300 to $400 would be okay to spend. We would get the parts through our tech friend who can get things wholesale. He works for himself now. I guess I'd really like to give him a list of what parts it needs and have him put them in, but I don't think it will be that easy.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#30 Old 19th Apr 2014 at 12:22 AM
The thing about 7, iCad, is that it takes your dual core processor and sticks Sims 2 on one half and everything else on the other. Since Sims 2 predates multiple core processors it has to be run all on one side. I don't know if Vista did or didn't--Vista got auto-filed in the ME bin by techie husband, as did 8--but XP just wasn't as smart about sorting processor space--split the operating system between both sides instead of sticking it all on one so Sims 2 could have all the other.

Oh, and Jo, if you really want to know why the chickens cross the road: the hens prefer to lay in the neighbor's field rather than ours and the roosters just follow the hens.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Undead Molten Llama
#31 Old 19th Apr 2014 at 12:58 AM
@Jo: Well, since the card I got cost less that $100USD (Have no idea what the exchange rate is nowadays between USD and AUD), I'd say you could probably get something bitchin'. I don't think power supplies cost that much, but since I was doing the work myself and I didn't want to screw around with the power supply...Well, there we are. Heck, you might be able to get a RAM upgrade AND a video upgrade for $400, if the exchange rate is remotely near 1-to-1, at the moment.

@Sunbee: I have no idea about the dual core thingy. I know my machine is a dual-core (at least that's what I assume, since it's got a "Core2" processor ), and it's running the 64-bit version of Vista Business on service pack 2, which I haven't updated because I'm afraid things will go kablooey if I do. The new video card put DirectX...11?...I think? on the machine. Beyond that, it's all far too techie for the likes of me. Whatever it all is, though, everything is running swimmingly well, IMO. Much better than it ran with the old 256MB card, at least!

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#32 Old 19th Apr 2014 at 2:07 AM
I assume the parts come from here or probably Asia more so than the US. I'll have to look into it. What is the most demanding game? Maybe if I tell him to think of Call of Duty or whatever it is he might figure out a good set up and not keep thinking it's low grade doll house.

I think I have dual core? I know it's Windows 7 64 bit. I haven't upgraded windows for ages because I'm also afraid things will go kablooey.

~Call me Jo~
Undead Molten Llama
#33 Old 19th Apr 2014 at 3:06 AM
When I was researching video cards, everyone in the reviews on the egghead sites was talking about how well (or not well) a given card ran Skyrim or Bioshock Infinite, so I'm guessing those are "demanding." I don't really know, though. I don't play anything but TS2.

You might have a dual core. I think the standard these days is a quad core. right? Mine is a dual core, which I know from the specs I looked up online, and the machine's probably around...6 years old? Maybe? I don't really know because Ethan bought it at a library surplus sale for $100. : lol:

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#34 Old 19th Apr 2014 at 3:15 AM
Okay, yes I only play sims 2 pretty much, although I've thought about trying Skyrim.

I think we bought 'this' computer about 5 years ago, the box part at least, the moniter might be older, but I know it's had a new power supply, a new Mother board, a new fan and some more RAM put in/changed around since then. Wow go Ethan, I think the hubby just bought mine from a shop but had things changed around. Like I know they were going to put in a lower card and when dh told me on the phone I'm like no way! Go one higher, so I'm really glad I knew at least that much. The 980 has been a very good card, poor old thing is just getting on and I toss a lot at it.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#35 Old 19th Apr 2014 at 7:35 PM
Okay! So I joyfully loaded all the discs I had (and really thought Seasons was there too, but it's still enroute), put my neighborhood in there and then left it completely alone since it's going to be wanting Seasons. Instead I looked at my neighborhood options and decided to use Pleasantview for old times' sake,.Then I proceeded to abuse Melody (Formerly Tinker, forget her husband's name) to help me figure out missing mesh issues I was having. Started with no CC, then put in the stuff I absolutely trust, like from HP, Cat of Evil Genius, Fanseelamb and a few others I'm sure I'm leaving out. Then I gradually added a bit more, and made poor Melody try to buy clothes on each restart of the game to see if this one annoying missing mesh outfit was there. And I managed to find which folder it was in. I also managed to figure out that one of my missing hair meshes was no doubt a my fault missing of the mesh when I downloaded the hair, and that problem is solved. If ONLY all CC creators would make their identity and the file name known when you hover over a clothing or hair item! ONLY reason I found this was because XM Sims had done just that. None of the clothes do it, if you hover over a clothing item it just gives you a price.

So here's my new problem that isn't really a problem I guess.... I don't want a billion Sims spread out over all these neighborhoods, I remember there was a Megahood mod that I once used. This time around I'm trying to do more of a generations thing, so I'd like maybe one neighborhood with a few shopping districts, but I think that Megahood said you couldn't make more of those, or more neighborhoods or something of the sort. Since I'm playing Pleasantview at the moment and kind of like the former Miss Tinker and her family, is there any SAFE way to pull Sims I want from other neighborhoods and put them all into one or its shopping district? If it isn't completely safe and unlikely to cause problems, I will just make the sacrifice of having to play multiple neighborhoods. Also, do Sims from multiple neighborhoods get to interact at college? I can't remember.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#36 Old 19th Apr 2014 at 8:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by flyingmouse77
Okay! So I joyfully loaded all the discs I had (and really thought Seasons was there too, but it's still enroute), put my neighborhood in there and then left it completely alone since it's going to be wanting Seasons. Instead I looked at my neighborhood options and decided to use Pleasantview for old times' sake,.Then I proceeded to abuse Melody (Formerly Tinker, forget her husband's name) to help me figure out missing mesh issues I was having. Started with no CC, then put in the stuff I absolutely trust, like from HP, Cat of Evil Genius, Fanseelamb and a few others I'm sure I'm leaving out. Then I gradually added a bit more, and made poor Melody try to buy clothes on each restart of the game to see if this one annoying missing mesh outfit was there. And I managed to find which folder it was in. I also managed to figure out that one of my missing hair meshes was no doubt a my fault missing of the mesh when I downloaded the hair, and that problem is solved. If ONLY all CC creators would make their identity and the file name known when you hover over a clothing or hair item! ONLY reason I found this was because XM Sims had done just that. None of the clothes do it, if you hover over a clothing item it just gives you a price.

So here's my new problem that isn't really a problem I guess.... I don't want a billion Sims spread out over all these neighborhoods, I remember there was a Megahood mod that I once used. This time around I'm trying to do more of a generations thing, so I'd like maybe one neighborhood with a few shopping districts, but I think that Megahood said you couldn't make more of those, or more neighborhoods or something of the sort. Since I'm playing Pleasantview at the moment and kind of like the former Miss Tinker and her family, is there any SAFE way to pull Sims I want from other neighborhoods and put them all into one or its shopping district? If it isn't completely safe and unlikely to cause problems, I will just make the sacrifice of having to play multiple neighborhoods. Also, do Sims from multiple neighborhoods get to interact at college? I can't remember.

Oh the hilarity and bizareness! Somehow when I put in the old neighborhoods, one of them was a version of Pleasantville I'd played long ago. That's explains why if any of you were shaking your heads about Melody Tinker getting married.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#37 Old 19th Apr 2014 at 9:37 PM
I've never used a mega hood but I believe all the sims should come with it. Don't move sims from other hoods into it unless you extract their likeness in simPE, open body shop and make a clone, delete the extracted sim and use the clone. You then get a fresh clean CAS sim who looks like the sim. You then need to set them up in SimPE with skills, etc that the original sim had.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#38 Old 19th Apr 2014 at 10:57 PM
I think what you want is the build your own megahood set that Tarlia made, here: http://meetme2theriver.livejournal....0neighbourhoods Scroll through the posts--I think they're over two pages now, and pick and choose what you want. Fixed dead, fixed faces, downtowns and shopping districts. Read the instructions--they're pretty clear, and if you do have 7 it can be quite persnickety about letting you make the program files be not read only to put them in, it may take two or three tries to get them to stay.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Page 2 of 2