Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 4:00 PM
Default Do you keep leftover food?
Do you keep leftover food in the fridge or do you just wash the plates up anyway?

I always wash the plates - the leftover food gets forgotten about in my gameplay, despite how timesaving and lifesaving it is for my sims. Anyway, I usually place in the mini-fridge (Small houses are my everything and more counter space is needed) that comes with UNI but last time I checked, that can't take leftovers or maybe just a small bit, I'm not sure?

Anyway, what do you do? Fridge, or down the drain?

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 4:06 PM
Fridge unless I forget about it and it gets flies. My sims end up eating whatever they cooked for breakfast for about 3 meals heh.

I also have a leftover hack which makes them take out leftovers instead of cooking a new meal if there are any (stops the nanny nicely).
Mad Poster
#3 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 4:06 PM
Leftovers forever! It keeps good indefinitely, it doesn't count against points, it can save a pregnant sim's life, prevent children from being taken by the social worker, and feed university students who run out of groceries within five hours of a senior's last final! Also, I once salvaged a headmaster visit by throwing out the burned dinner and getting some nice sparkly fish leftovers. Then there's all the times I invite more people than I have servings, and the cook gets leftovers out for herself to eat (happens in real life, too). I really see no downside to them.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Field Researcher
#4 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 4:12 PM
I'm with Peni on this one. The only thing I don't save is low quality meals like spaghetti or toaster pastries, and even then I still save them if no sims in the household have high enough cooking to make something better. I even save burnt food if it's high quality and only partially burnt. It still satisfies quite a bit of hunger, and I guess I figure it's my sims' punishment for burning it. XD I've gotten to the point sometimes where I have three or four pages of leftovers in the fridge.

http://kahonseecity.livejournal.com/ < - New Prosperity Challenge. Last update: 6/9/14
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 4:27 PM
I save every little bit of food my Sims leave behind. I stuff it inside the inventory, where it keeps indefinitely (man, I wish I could just stick a bowl of spaghetti in my pocket and have it stay fresh forever!). After my Sim serves breakfast, I stuff the bowl of leftover cereal or pancakes into their inventory and keep it until the next morning, or for the party later that afternoon in case I run out of food. Once the kids come home, mom and dad are at work (I have BO's Kids and Pets Unattended mod, so they can stay at home alone), and I don't feel like using cheats to bring their hunger motives up, I pull out whatever was left over from breakfast, or even last night. One time, I placed a plate of Baked Alaska in a toddler's inventory, and it stayed with him as he grew up. When he became an elder, he celebrated his birthday with not only cake, but the Baked Alaska from all those years ago... and it was still fresh and edible. Talk about "Ancient" food!

I don't know why I just love saving food in The Sims 2... maybe it was because the feature didn't really exist in The Sims 1. Or maybe it's because I waste food IRL (yes, we're all guilty of it one point in time) and I get a chance to make up for it.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 4:58 PM
I don't save leftovers in the fridge because I don't have Seasons, but I do have Neder's Variable Meal Servings, so my Sims nearly always cook the right amount of food. If they occasionally misjudge, there's often someone hungry enough to have seconds. I hate wasted food in The Sims almost as much as I hate in in Real Life, so I'm glad my Sims and I have almost eliminated the waste. It saves them money too.

I haven't had much success trying to put leftovers into inventory (it may be EP-related), but to be honest there's seldom any leftover food for me to experiment with!
Mad Poster
#7 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 5:26 PM
I put leftovers in the fridge except for if they burn it. I get tired of the gagging. It seems to me more gagging than eating goes on if the food is burned, so I just have the Sim wash all dishes, but will have them store any non-burned left overs in the fridge.
Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 6:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
I don't save leftovers in the fridge because I don't have Seasons, but I do have Neder's Variable Meal Servings, so my Sims nearly always cook the right amount of food. If they occasionally misjudge, there's often someone hungry enough to have seconds. I hate wasted food in The Sims almost as much as I hate in in Real Life, so I'm glad my Sims and I have almost eliminated the waste. It saves them money too.

I haven't had much success trying to put leftovers into inventory (it may be EP-related), but to be honest there's seldom any leftover food for me to experiment with!

I love Neder's Variable Meal Servings - I use them a lot, especially if I have about 1-2 Sims and they want to stay Fit. Sometimes it's waste not want not when a child has to go to school.

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Scholar
#9 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 7:16 PM
Some of my sims save the leftovers, others don't. Depending on what I think would be their style.

So a messy bachelor may be making a lot of grilled cheese for their guests, and if there are some leftovers he thinks "hey, surely this is just as good tomorrow... and the day after tomorrow!"
An stay-home mom may disagree and throw away all the junk food which was not eaten, but she'll probably save some of that pie to indulge her little kids next day.
And rich ones may as well let their butler decide about the cooking, and never care about saving anything up -the butler himself will also clean behind.

This is... really variable :D
Meet Me In My Next Life
#10 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 7:59 PM
Yes I always keep "leftovers" one good reason is most of my Sims have child age children. And after a hard day work sometime my Sims just fall out sleeping in a chair while trying to relax, or other wise in the bed sleep.
So my Sims kids I can direct them to get the leftover to eat when they are hungry, another good reason I keep and use leftover is because the "good for nothing lazy nanny" do not sometime cook a meal for when the children are hungry.
Plus when the nanny do cook she make sweets food like cookie etc. I want my Sims children to eat health not always eat junk food when they need to eat dinner food.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Mad Poster
#11 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 9:48 PM
I'm also a big fan of putting leftovers in inventory.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Mad Poster
#12 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 9:54 PM
I always stick them in the fridge. Inventory is an extra step which is annoying. I use Moghughson's leftover mod so they can store as individual plates which is useful (this is also really timesaving for businesses which sell food, BTW. Cook once, separate leftovers, have sim take each leftover plate out individually, wham 6 servings, or 10 of some of the desserts)

I use the leftovers when they're too hungry/tired/grumpy/short on time to cook. I always try and select leftovers which are appropriate for the time of day too.
Scholar
#13 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 9:59 PM Last edited by sweetbaby160 : 10th Jul 2014 at 2:10 AM.
I am a big fan of using leftovers, some of my sims only live on leftovers, especially the college grads who are short on money; I usually will have Mom invite them over for dinner & after she'll send them home with leftovers & the "extra" turkey dinner she happened to be cooking.

Edit: I forgot to mention i also use a mod (found here; can't remember if it's one of Phaenoh's or Mog's) that makes putting leftovers away easier-instead of having to individually serve every plate then put them all away, the mod makes it so you have an option when putting full serving plates away you are given the choice of either plates or platters, fabulous for couples or singles who dont eat have time every day to cook big meals. Plus I use another mod (from here too) that increases the default amount of servings to 8 instead of 6.
Theorist
#14 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 10:16 PM
Most of the time, leftovers get put in the fridge.

Admittedly, I tend to remember to have poorer Sims put them away more often. It's like subconsciously I know they can't afford to waste a meal, or just order up a pizza when the fridge gets low on food.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 10:33 PM
Left overs always, that food isn't free. Would you wash up the leftover's at home? WE often have left overs and I put it in a plastic container in the fridge. Back to sims, leftovers are great for pregnant sims and children and I use a mod that pushes sims to put leftovers away autonomously. Some of my sims are so poor that sharing left overs is a daily means of not starving. I also keep birthday cake in inventory, because again, old cake = not starving to death.

Quote:
I also have a leftover hack which makes them take out leftovers instead of cooking a new meal if there are any

Do you know where that is from? I wonder if it's compatible with the one I use above.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
#16 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 10:50 PM
My hood grows their own food and atm it's a little slow, so leftovers are a must right now. I also do what sweetbaby does and send leftovers home with sims. If they have friends over for dinner or what not.
My simmie that owns the farm and grows all the food for the town will sometimes donate food(meals) to the orphanage since they run out of food the most (even with two fridges) So I love leftovers, and all my sims would probably have starved now without them :/

You should never come between a woman and her dream, and a man who never knew his place.

Livejournal
Theorist
#17 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 11:12 PM
Many times I've had sims with high cooking skills make extra servings or group meals to leave in their inventory. Occasionally they give them to children or teens who, due to unforseen circumstances, live alone. They will also share with homeless sims who live on eco lots, like living behind the bathroom at a bus stop. (1x1 lots) Nothing like a steaming plate of food fresh from the inventory.

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 12:07 AM
Fridge, if I can remember it, and if I have use for leftovers. Nice to have if I once in a while play legacy-style and actually have to stuff food into the sims regularly, particularly when the parents are busy skilling or working, or if 8 sims are to be kept alive without cheating.

If I'm doing storytelling they don't eat between takes (that's what maxmotives is for). But if I want to take pictures of them during mealtimes, it's nice to have some extra leftovers or extra whole meals, in case things mess up - and I don't want flies to take over the food, either. Making a sim go back to cook just ruins the time schedule...
Field Researcher
#19 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 1:06 AM
I always find it a massive failure in my game playing if I forget to put away the leftovers. I mean, I really try to be aware and not forget it, and then those flies and green stink just rub it in my face if I do.

I also have the 'Simply Leftovers' mod by Mog in my must-have downloads folder. Simply a lifesaver! I cannot go back to the base-game's ways of getting a whole family serving out for one dish, only to put it away again. That was always a pain (but never any more!).
Scholar
#20 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 1:54 AM
I'm another one who tries to build up the leftovers inventory. So even if only one sim is going to aroiund for the meal, I have them "serve" a family sized meal and put away the leftovers. So many ways it comes in handy.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 3:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
and I use a mod that pushes sims to put leftovers away autonomously.

Do you have a link for that mod?

I never put burned food away as leftovers. The gagging annoys me too. In fact, if they aren't under time pressure then I'll make them trash the whole meal and try again.
Instructor
#22 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 3:23 AM
When I first make a family I usually make about 5 different meals and put them all in the fridge. No more cooking for a month! :D
Field Researcher
#23 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 3:34 AM
I should put away the leftovers, but I don't. I think I'll try it.

I'm thinking all through the night
I could be yours just like before
Rewrite another try
'Cause we've had the loneliest time
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#24 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 3:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Do you have a link for that mod?

I never put burned food away as leftovers. The gagging annoys me too. In fact, if they aren't under time pressure then I'll make them trash the whole meal and try again.

Here: http://modthesims.info/d/418559

Do you have the link for the mod I asked for?

After looking around I think BO's looks better http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/thread-1132.html because I am always having dorm students put away the 'left overs' that the dorm cook puts out and it gets a bit annoying telling them to stop.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#25 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 5:55 AM
Thanks.

It's somewhere in here. http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=493349
Page 1 of 2