Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 1:02 AM
I've done it before. I love Winter and snow.
Advertisement
Undead Molten Llama
#27 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 1:06 AM
@Zarathustra: Well, OK, so plaid flannel is for Canadians and freaks from Arizona then. As for us here in the Colorado part of the Four Corners, the winter uniform is one very expensive The North Face ski parka, cheap shorts, and even cheaper flip flops. And a set of skis or a snowboard riding on your shoulder. Plus various knee braces due to Skiing Incidents. And no, I'm not being facetious. That's what we wear even when it's 10 degrees out. We're hardy folk. The summer uniform is some form of half-naked. Because we can't take the heat up here. Plus flip-flops. Always with the flip-flops. And even in the summer we usually look like the walking wounded because we took a header while mountain biking or very nearly drowned after getting thrown out of a raft due to monster rapids, after which we had unfortunate encounters with large boulders. Not to mention falling off of cliffs. Or having unfortunate encounters with long stretches of scree in our latest quest for a 14er...

Yup, we're nuts up here.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#28 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 1:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
@Zarathustra: Well, OK, so plaid flannel is for Canadians and freaks from Arizona then. As for us here in the Colorado part of the Four Corners, the winter uniform is one very expensive The North Face ski parka, cheap shorts, and even cheaper flip flops. And a set of skis or a snowboard riding on your shoulder. Plus various knee braces due to Skiing Incidents. And no, I'm not being facetious. That's what we wear even when it's 10 degrees out. We're hardy folk. The summer uniform is some form of half-naked. Because we can't take the heat up here. Plus flip-flops. Always with the flip-flops. And even in the summer we usually look like the walking wounded because we took a header while mountain biking or very nearly drowned after getting thrown out of a raft due to monster rapids, after which we had unfortunate encounters with large boulders. Not to mention falling off of cliffs. Or having unfortunate encounters with long stretches of scree in our latest quest for a 14er...

Yup, we're nuts up here.

Freaks from Arizona!? Hey, I resemble that remark! Sounds like a pretty similar demographic to where you are though... there's just usually plaid flannel added into that uniform somewhere too... I've got lots of North Face and Columbia gear in my house too! If only the San Francisco Peaks were a 14er... they're just 12 and 1/2. Still a good escape from the heat of the summer though! Gotta love places like that though, where entertainment means the outdoors! Sometimes wish we could set the seasons HERE to being all winter too though! It's way too hot here!

(Oh yeah, another part of the Flagstaff uniform... beer. Flagstaffricans love our local beer! )

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Scholar
#29 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 2:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
Freaks from Arizona!? Hey, I resemble that remark! Sounds like a pretty similar demographic to where you are though... there's just usually plaid flannel added into that uniform somewhere too... I've got lots of North Face and Columbia gear in my house too! If only the San Francisco Peaks were a 14er... they're just 12 and 1/2. Still a good escape from the heat of the summer though! Gotta love places like that though, where entertainment means the outdoors! Sometimes wish we could set the seasons HERE to being all winter too though! It's way too hot here!

(Oh yeah, another part of the Flagstaff uniform... beer. Flagstaffricans love our local beer! )

Here in Strangetown, NM we are all townies so our uniform is whatever they sell at Walmart...
Makeovers are SORELY needed!

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Mad Poster
#30 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 2:21 AM
Carhartts and White's Boots. I love my Whites. My husband arguably loves his more, though, as he has two pairs--one for snow and one for wildland fires, custom made (you want expensive? Those are expensive!).

iCad, obviously you have fewer rattlesnakes than we do. Flip flops are just asking to get bit.

Back to the topic of sims and seasons, however, can townies die from heat stroke? Because that's one of the major disadvantages to eternal winter: they will keel over and die on your lot and haunt you forever, and you can only serve one meal a day so ghosts are about ten times as deadly as in regular play.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Mad Poster
#31 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 3:42 AM
Wait, are you guys joking about the in game Strangetown or is there actually a RL place called Strangetown?
Scholar
#32 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 3:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Wait, are you guys joking about the in game Strangetown or is there actually a RL place called Strangetown?

Well, it might as well be Strangetown. It's close to Roswell, lots of weirdness going on in every way.

Mad Poster
#33 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 4:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SciBirg
Well, it might as well be Strangetown. It's close to Roswell, lots of weirdness going on in every way.

Roswell takes home the gold on this issue, but there's lots of weird towns scattered throughout the Southwest that could easily have contributed inspiration to Strangetown... Sedona and its "vortices" spring to mind...

Scholar
#34 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 4:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
Roswell takes home the gold on this issue, but there's lots of weird towns scattered throughout the Southwest that could easily have contributed inspiration to Strangetown... Sedona and its "vortices" spring to mind...

Mmm...well... Roswell isn't all that strange apart from the UFO-museum. And their "UFO" most likely came from here.

Scholar
#35 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 5:19 AM
I was trying to make an authentidc Mediterranean climate for my neighborhood, and I set it to Spring, Summer, Summer, Fall, in order to escape the snow which didn't really belong there, but even with a mod to prevent rain in summer, it just kept raining and raining all summer long and I just gave up and left the seasons alone. The snow is cute, anyway. Just not very coastal-Californian. I tried to justify it different ways, but I suppose the closest explanation I could get is that my sims actually live in Oregon . . .
Field Researcher
#36 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 5:29 AM
I've used all winter for my off-world colonies - no townies, no NPCs, no community lots, no food deliveries or community stores, just match-made sims living in identical home pods and trying to survive by growing their own crops in greenhouse extensions. It's brutally fun!

Edit: I believe I used a moon neighbourhood map from here to run this one on and a sky mod thing that made it look permanently space-y. Man, I must do this again with the universal collection... *runs off to half-starve a new colony of sims*
Top Secret Researcher
#37 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 6:45 AM
I've never done something like Permanent Winter, but I have tried that one Year-Long summer challenge. :3 Horribly, horribly brutal. All summer all the time, no rooftops, one sink and one shower if I remember right?

I need to find this challenge again. It was hilariously cruel and fun. Sims were sunburned and constantly heat-stroked.
Inventor
#38 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 7:41 PM
Yup, 'Cuz it's always winter in the mountains. Says me, sitting at 8500 feet where it's currently 85 degrees but ONLY because a (unfortunately dry) storm just went through. before that, it was 92. Bleagh! Well, at least there's no humidity.

No seriously, what do y'all think us mountain folk have to put up with? Oh and BTW: We don't wear plaid, either. That's for Canadians . I am hoping to start a chest-pounding trend, however...

Anyway, count me in amongst the I-want-all-four-seasons crowd. Although I confess that I will tend to make a temporary tropical-beach neighborhood during the (long) winters here and play it to warm myself up when it's -25 (WITHOUT wind chill) outside.

Hey, the Air Force stuck me in Great Falls, Montana for three years. Sure, there might be one or two days in the summertime where the temperature gets over a hundred Fahrenheit, but that doesn't make up for the six to eight months of snow. I still remember the Winter of '95, when two feet of snow fell overnight, it was 60 below with the wind chill that morning, and two other airmen and I had to work out in that mess because our clunky 03 Localizer's Distribution Unit--which stood about eight inches off the ground--went on the fritz again. We had the MetNav truck's heater running full blast and the back windows were still frosting over. I was wearing three pairs of GI winterweight socks inside my fiberglass-toed jump boots and it still felt like my toes were about to break off. And the three of us had to run out to the DU one at a time, tinker with it for about five minutes, run back to the truck, tell the other two guys what he did and send the next airman out to the DU, just to keep the frostbite away. That day sucked hard.

And to think that the Canadians have it even worse. I was kind of surprised--yet kind of not surprised--to learn that half of Montreal is underground because of how cold it gets up there. So I'll stick to my "Northern mountains are always cold" misconception, thanks.

Good luck with the chest-pounding trend! :D

Quote: Originally posted by rinarunine
I've never done something like Permanent Winter, but I have tried that one Year-Long summer challenge. :3 Horribly, horribly brutal. All summer all the time, no rooftops, one sink and one shower if I remember right?

I need to find this challenge again. It was hilariously cruel and fun. Sims were sunburned and constantly heat-stroked.

It sounds awful, but I bet that the local PlantSims would ace it.
Field Researcher
#39 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 8:26 PM
I hate winter, it makes me game lag for some reason. My sims live in an alternative universe with a tropical climate all year.
Undead Molten Llama
#40 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 8:33 PM
@Zarathustra: Hey, you Flagstaffricans are a cool (but still freaky) bunch. And you can practically spit into the Grand Canyon from there, which is pretty awesome. If I were forced to leave my lair here in CO, I'd pick living in northern AZ as my next choice. Apparently I already have the wardrobe. The North Face? Check. Columbia? Check. Patagonia and REI? Check. And yup, IMO, we in the not-too-far-South part of the Southwest live in the best part of the world, or at least the US. It's not prone to natural disasters except the occasional (but slow-moving) fire, and if you want an adventure in unspoiled nature, all you have to do is walk out your front door.

And as for Sedona...What IS it with that place? Buncha new-age hippies. (For the record: I'm a hippie, but not a new-age one. ) I have a friend who comes and stays at my place a couple of times a year at certain "special" times and then drives down to Sedona to...do whatever it is that one does in/with/around "vortices." I don't get it, and I don't DARE ask her to explain because that would only be encouraging her.

@Sunbee: Carhartt's is big here, too, amongst the ranchers. Telluride, and SW Colorado in general, is a curious mix of very conservative ranchers and very liberal hippies. Yet, we somehow manage not to kill each other. As for rattlesnakes...Meh, we only have little prairie rattlers around here. They're pretty timid. One was sunning itself on the patio outside by bedroom the other day. It was pretty cool, and I just let it be. It went on its way -- Hopefully to eat some of the damn rabbits that have taken over my property -- after the sun moved. Since they're timid, they generally get out of your way before you see them. So...flip-flops it is! Although on my property there's lots of uneven ground, cacti, and juniper, so if I'm tromping around on it, then it's boots. But in town? Flip-flops. Always. I don't like the kind with the thing that goes between your toes, though, so mine are just slip-on things with the band that goes across your instep.

As for your actually Sim-related question...I don't know! I would think that if townies can freeze to death, then they could also heatstroke to death. How do you get them to stay on the lot long enough to do so without greeting them, though?

@Charity: I'm 99.638% certain that Strangetown is supposed to be Roswell, NM, where, so it's said, an alien spacecraft crashed in 1947. You can't swing a cat down there without hitting a conspiracy theorist/alien enthusiast. Also, New Mexico was where the nuclear bomb was developed, so...Yeah, lots of strange little towns down there. It's actually a rather fun place to visit because of that. Even a little town nearish to me in NM has an annual UFO festival that's kind of fun to visit. Like Zarathustra said, the Southwest is pretty odd/very new-agey, but it's generally a harmless kind of odd.

@Pizzatron: Yes, but see, that's not the kind of place that people go for VACATIONS. You go there because the sadistic Air Force sends you there. Where I live is a ski resort, which IS the kind of place that pain-in-the-ass celebrities go to vacation as well as real, normal people. It's not always winter here and even when it is, it's always sunny, at least, and with the lack of humidity, it doesn't feel that cold. That's the good thing about high desert.

Anyway, my cousin to whom I'm very close was at Great Falls, MT and Grand Forks, ND for YEARS in the Air Force, doing Sekrit Things With Missiles. And he can tell some weather tales, yes. Anyone who lives there is insane, IMO. And apparently, my cousin is because after he retired from 20 years in the AF, most of it spent in the Northern Plains, he CHOSE to settle in Great Falls. Nut!

As for the chest-pounding trend...Well, my daughter and I do it. But that's because we're both Simmers. But it'll spread. I SWEAR IT!

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
#41 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 10:40 PM
Yeah and then it switched back to default the next time I played it.
Mad Poster
#42 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 11:47 PM
@iCad - flips aren't flips without that little thing between your toes... Just sayin'
And, that's all I wear - my Mickey Mouse Croc 'flips'. 2416/7; 365.
I don't go "outside" - it's too hot and humid. Central FL is a sauna for most of the year.

Most of my hoods are set to all 4 seasons. My 'home' hood - BDC - is Sp/Sm/Sm/Fall
I have one vacation hood set to all winter, and one to all summer, the other ( the Asian one, I think) uses all 4 seasons.

I love vicariously playing in the snow!

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Mad Poster
#43 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 12:21 AM
As for your actually Sim-related question...I don't know! I would think that if townies can freeze to death, then they could also heatstroke to death. How do you get them to stay on the lot long enough to do so without greeting them, though?

Well, you've got to greet them to befriend them, and you've got to befriend them to get promotions. But since they can't come inside until they are friends, and you don't really want them inside anyway because they crowd up your tiny space and swipe your food (or worse, throw it out), generally they turn blue (because stupid Townies don't dress for -30, apparently, unlike the rest of us) before you get them befriended. Then if you call them on the phone, the game registers them as being on the lot, and since it's still -30 or whatever, counts that as their temperature.
The danger of death generally comes when they walk by after the second generation or so. Now your founder, who had befriended them in the first place, is dead, you can't let them in to warm up, and your new heir desperately needs friends to get promoted. You've probably lifted culinary, medical, military, or education, all of which provide really great benefits early on--like food, showers, high school (free food) and college (extra skilling time), but not anything like intelligence (allows non-friends in) or music (changes seasons).

Undead Molten Llama
#44 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 1:10 AM
Oh, I see! You're allowed to greet them; you just can't let them inside unless they're friends. I was thinking that you weren't allowed to greet them, so then I was like, "Well, then they'll just walk off the lot pretty quickly, not enough time to allow their temperature to drop..." and then I was all befuddled dog.

I should go have a look at the rules again. Which set are you using? I know there are original ones somewhere and that Phaenoh posted a version and... Well, anyway, I'm thinking I'd adapt it into an infrastructure-less extraterrestrial colonization scenario rather than a post-apocalyptic one, so that there's added pressure to reproduce and such, to keep the colony going. So, I'll need to make some changes. But a base to work from would be good, so that I don't have to think it all up myself.

@CatherineTCJD: Believe it or not, a Great Debate rages here about what, exactly, constitutes "flip-flops." Some insist that they must have the thong part in order to be so termed. Others insist that it's ultimately the sound they make when you're walking while wearing them that decides whether or not footwear can be called "flip-flops." I am, obviously, in the second camp, but their are many heathens people with different opinions out there...

We have too much time on our hands, it seems.

Mad Poster
#45 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 1:46 AM
You have Northern Arizona that gets snow on a fairly regular basis, then you have Southern Arizona that only gets snow once in a blue moon. I'm in Southern Arizona (Tucson) so I rarely see snow.

In game I have the Seasons set for one of each (spring, summer fall winter) so my Sims get all the extra benefits from the Seasons (that and I hate when it snows in game. It may be the fact that I grew up in Tucson that influences that).
Mad Poster
#46 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 2:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Orilon
You have Northern Arizona that gets snow on a fairly regular basis, then you have Southern Arizona that only gets snow once in a blue moon. I'm in Southern Arizona (Tucson) so I rarely see snow.

"Fairly regular basis" can be pretty misleading sometimes though... we only got one real snowstorm here in the north all winter- barely 2 feet total for the entire season, and then just sped right on into summer. If I were to arrange Sim seasons to accurately reflect us, I'd probably have Summer, Summer, Fall, Spring, and use the weather control reward to speed up fall and spring!

Mad Poster
#47 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 5:34 AM
@iCad, I use different rules depending on the mood I'm in. I've used Pinstar's, the Apocaborg (I helped playtest those at the old Boolprop forum), I've tried Phaenoh's but I'm not fond of the have to lift all careers on one tier before starting the next restriction (it's always the blinkety-blank cat that gets fired and then no one can lift), I like the set LadyLarkRune and RoseFyre made. That last is probably my favorite, since it makes the most sense, but I've got a certain fondness for the Apocaborg rules. These: http://leilia.livejournal.com/tag/apocalypse%20rules and these: http://apocalypsechallenge.kaleiope.com/ Yes, it is possible to lift hopelessness in any game configuration (the hardest lift) with an adult start (the hardest set-up) in that last. Promise!

Theorist
#48 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 5:46 AM
I like my 4 seasons but maybe I'll get a northern world... like Greenland/Iceland... any suggestions guys? I need to try that out

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Mad Poster
#49 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 7:34 AM
The weird thing about temperature is that pets don't get hot or cold. You see stupid dogs outside sleeping in the snow and they don't freeze to death lol.
Mad Poster
#50 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 12:22 PM
This thread has made me think. It'd be neat if my Sims could go on "mini-travels" to places with a different climate than theirs, without having to do the whole BV-vacation-thing. Maybe I'll find some cute, small neighbourhood templates, and attach four subhoods. One for each type of season, and have only that one happen there, then build some lots fitting that place, and let Sims for a minibreak.
Page 2 of 3