Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Aug 2014 at 12:47 PM
Default SecuROM
Can anyone tell me what it is and why it's so bad? I didn't even realise such a thing came with TS2 when I originally had it... Apparently it's in the UC too? I saw a post about it and the person was removing it due to that fact.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 1st Aug 2014 at 2:11 PM
It's DRM (digital rights management) software. Back in the day it apparently caused people some CD/DVD drive problems. It was originally used to make sure you had the real game disc in your drive when you played the game. Obviously that's no longer relevant with UC, and the code was probably left in there more or less out of laziness.

Now some people still like to flip out about it although often they cannot explain exactly why, or at least not in terms that are still relevant in 2014.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 1st Aug 2014 at 2:22 PM
LOL. I never had any problem with SecuROM. I didn't even realise that it existed until I saw people complaining about it.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 1st Aug 2014 at 2:33 PM
I never got what was so bad about SecuROM. My friend who links me to everything Sims he finds on twitter/tumblr after sending me a link to the UC (which I had already downloaded) apologised profusely to me about showing me something that has SecuROM in and advised me to uninstall my game. I don't really see how it affects me at all. I read up on SecROM on wikipedia and meh.. I'm not really bothered by it at all.

Here are the known issues with the software if you're interested, though some don't really apply to the UC.
Quote: Originally posted by Wikipedia
SecuROM may not detect that the original game disc is in the drive. This can occur on virtually any configuration, and reinserting the disc or rebooting the computer usually resolves the problem.[8]
Under Windows Vista, SecuROM will prevent a game from running if explicit congestion notification is enabled in Vista's networking configuration.[9]
Software that can be used to bypass copy protection, such as disk drive emulators and debugging software, will block the launch of the game and generate a security module error.[8][10] Disabling such software usually fixes the issue, but in some cases uninstallation is required.[8]
SecuROM conflicts with other software, the best-known being SysInternals' Process Explorer (prior to version 11). Use of Process Explorer before an attempt to run the protected software would produce an error caused by a driver that was kept in memory after Process Explorer was closed. This is solved by either ensuring that Process Explorer is not running in the background when the game is launched, or updating Process Explorer.[8][11]
SecuROM has a hardware-level incompatibility with certain brands of optical drives. Workarounds exist.[8]

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
#5 Old 1st Aug 2014 at 2:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gwynne
Now some people still like to flip out about it although often they cannot explain exactly why, or at least not in terms that are still relevant in 2014.

Are you saying that old cds aren't going to give you the same securom that gave people problems, just because it's 2014? I have no idea if UC has the bad securom or not, but it's still possible to get it.

I'd like to point out that the bad kind of securom is not removed by uninstalling the game. Once it's there, you either have to manually clean it out of your registry, or format your computer. Which is one of the reasons I personally don't let it near my computer.
Scholar
#7 Old 1st Aug 2014 at 3:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
Are you saying that old cds aren't going to give you the same securom that gave people problems, just because it's 2014? I have no idea if UC has the bad securom or not, but it's still possible to get it.

I'd like to point out that the bad kind of securom is not removed by uninstalling the game. Once it's there, you either have to manually clean it out of your registry, or format your computer. Which is one of the reasons I personally don't let it near my computer.

Leaving aside that if you're playing the UC version of TS2 you don't need to access the CD/DVD drive anyway, can you tell me what you think the 'bad' SecuROM will do to you other than requiring you to use regedit to remove old references to its existence?
Test Subject
#8 Old 1st Aug 2014 at 3:06 PM
Someone said this about SecuROM: "It also collects information from your computer. The EULA doesn’t even specify what information the company can collect. They can get data on EVERYTHING you go on if they wanted. Apparently downloading the game gives the company “permission” for all of this too. That’s your “signed consent” That's kinda worrisome.
Scholar
#9 Old 1st Aug 2014 at 3:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by whatever
Someone said this about SecuROM: "It also collects information from your computer. The EULA doesn’t even specify what information the company can collect. They can get data on EVERYTHING you go on if they wanted. Apparently downloading the game gives the company “permission” for all of this too. That’s your “signed consent” That's kinda worrisome.

http://www.securom.com/support_faq....nsumer_internet

Quote:
SecuROM™ is available in two formats: disc-based and online activation-based. The disc version does not use any Internet connectivity for operation. The online activation-based system, SecuROM™ Product Activation, uses an Internet connection to request a license for the desired application. No personal information is collected, stored, or transmitted during this or any SecuROM™ process.

I promise you that unless you're going out of your way to anonymize your browsing, and I think we know most people aren't, your web browser is collecting WAY more data from you than a game-licensing app is.

Also, EULAs are always written very broadly. They're written in the company's interests, not the consumer's. If you choose not to do business with EA because of the way they write their EULAs, obviously that's completely your call.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 1st Aug 2014 at 3:16 PM
Thank you all for the advice! I survived through my whole Sims 2 career with SecuROM... so I suppose I'm not going to start caring now.

Thank Heavens I don't carry that philosophy through into any other area of my life!
Mad Poster
#11 Old 1st Aug 2014 at 3:18 PM
So has the EULA regarding this got more publicity than the one about pay content lol?
Mad Poster
#12 Old 1st Aug 2014 at 3:19 PM
http://www.reclaimyourgame.com/cont...ion-and-SecuROM

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Test Subject
#13 Old 1st Aug 2014 at 3:25 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what's so wrong about SecuROM. Is it really that bad enough that you want to uninstall the game? I mean, what exactly is the worst case scenario?

I wonder if EA is going to make a statement about this or just ignore it and let the gamers deal with it. -__-
Forum Resident
#14 Old 1st Aug 2014 at 3:26 PM
On my old PC I had all the Sims 2 expansions up to and including Bon Voyage. I had problems with Bon Voyage from the start and I installed all the patches and things. It came to that my disc drive would read the disc and sometimes it wouldn't. Then, soon after it stopped reading any discs, my dvd movies, cd's, anything. That is the only issue I have ever had. But a big one.

My new PC I never had the issues though I never ran it from Bon Voyage disc again, a most likely unnecessary precaution.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 1st Aug 2014 at 3:29 PM Last edited by gazania : 1st Aug 2014 at 4:03 PM.
My husband, unfortunately, got suckyrommed by Ubisoft. He had two different games on two different computers. Ubisoft issued updates for both games at the same time. The original games were clean; the updates were not. Ubitsoft did not bother letting anyone know about the Securom. (If you thought that the forums here were bad at the time, you should have seen the Ubisoft forums! Egads.)

Immediately, I could not burn CDs on either computer using legitimate software. On both computers. Right away. Both worked fine right before, and we often burn CDs as backups. Burning copies of DVDs became dicey, at best.

This was a frequent result of Securom ... it immediately disabled programs it determined to be illegal, even if they were perfectly legit.

Over the years, other players have mentioned problems with the machine not reading legitimate Sims 2 disks. The game kept insisting that the legitimate disks were not in the drive, I believe. Their games played fine all along, then one day ... nope.. I believe there were far too many of these reports to be attributed to a bad CD drive.

For those whose CD/DVD programs were affected, there are, fortunately, other options. There is another free program or two that is legitimate and for some reason, doesn't seem to be affected by Securom v. 7 at all. For those with the disk problems, there are other options as well. Can't discuss those, though.

Some players state that Securom severely affected their hardware. Some people poo-poo that; others do not. Personally, i don't trust Securom v. 7 at all. ( I should be clear here ... earlier versions did not cause trouble.) I think it's obvious as to why.

For those new to this, most people were not affected. So if your game runs fine, and you can burn CDs/DVDs with no problem (or if you don't even burn CDs/DVDs anymore .... times have changed!), don't be horribly concerned. However, this did affect way too many people for certain problems to be dismissed due to user error, hardware, or software deficiencies.

From my experience with Sims 2 forums, this helped kick-start the wave of mistrust against EA, and introduced alternative means of getting this game or bypassing Securom to those who ordinarily wouldn't have even considered doing this. Securom v.7 was a really stupid move on EA's part, in my opinion.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Scholar
#16 Old 1st Aug 2014 at 3:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by whatever
I'm still trying to figure out what's so wrong about SecuROM. Is it really that bad enough that you want to uninstall the game? I mean, what exactly is the worst case scenario?

I wonder if EA is going to make a statement about this or just ignore it and let the gamers deal with it. -__-

I suspect the worst-case scenario with the TS2 UC (which is the reason the current SecuROM wave of terror is happening) is you might have to edit your registry later if knowledge that the entries are there bothers you. The registry entries themselves are harmless, it just bugs some people that they're there and require special means to alter them.

http://www.reclaimyourgame.com/cont...ion-and-SecuROM

I think it if was zapping people's CD/DVD drives dead we'd have heard by now.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 1st Aug 2014 at 4:01 PM
Leaving aside that if you're playing the UC version of TS2 you don't need to access the CD/DVD drive anyway, can you tell me what you think the 'bad' SecuROM will do to you other than requiring you to use regedit to remove old references to its existence?

Because clearly if I play UC, I never want to use any cd or dvd ever again. Not even movies, or other games. Backing up is not required, because it happens magically on it's own. Yep. UC all the way.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 1st Aug 2014 at 4:27 PM
Things got so bad that a group of people brought a lawsuit against EA because of Securom: http://www.reclaimyourgame.com/show...-action-lawsuit

I think what galled people as well were the initial responses of many companies who used Securom v. 7 to users who brought up problems after installing the DRM. At the time, many initial reactions from the "higher-ups" appeared to be, "Well ... you were obviously doing something illegal with illegal programs. That's your fault."

Yup. I'm sure that Best Buy or any other reputable computer store would go out of its way to put illegal programs on its machines.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 1st Aug 2014 at 4:35 PM
SecuROM can't be a judge of what is illegal and what isn't. There are perfectly non-illegal reasons to have programs like DAEMON Tools, or cd/dvd burning software. The idea that they can shut off parts of my computer because they think my using a program means I'm hacking SIms, is absurd. The fact that they don't uninstall their software when removing the product it came with, is also absurd. You should not have to manually edit your registry to get rid of it, specially since messing with the registry can screw up your computer and not something the average computer user should be doing.
Test Subject
#20 Old 1st Aug 2014 at 4:36 PM
Is it possible to remove SecuROM without uninstalling TS2 UC?
Mad Poster
#21 Old 1st Aug 2014 at 5:02 PM
Quote:
"I think what galled people as well were the initial responses of many companies who used Securom v. 7 to users who brought up problems after installing the DRM. At the time, many initial reactions from the "higher-ups" appeared to be, "Well ... you were obviously doing something illegal with illegal programs. That's your fault."

What really kicks the can to the curb now: EA never revoked it out of the TS2 series, when they very vocally announced that it would not be in TS3. They never bothered to take it out, as we have seen in the UC.

They are supposed to have disclosed its' existence for any present and future games that contain it. That includes the UC, which by some definitions is a new game.

I wonder if anyone in EA legal ever bothered to read the court order?
Meet Me In My Next Life
#22 Old 1st Aug 2014 at 6:27 PM Last edited by Simonut : 2nd Aug 2014 at 4:30 AM.
It's DRM (digital rights management) software. Back in the day it apparently caused people some CD/DVD drive problems. It was originally used to make sure you had the real game disc in your drive when you played the game. Obviously that's no longer relevant with UC, and the code was probably left in there more or less out of laziness.

@>>Gwynne >> Those people who as you say ( some ) still like to flip out about it, that is not true that some people can not explain why they do not like SecuRom .
Not until one experience the "Big" problem it has cause on a computer can one explain, not just with the Sims 2 game but other games by EA.

Some people even went to court in front of a judge ( and that a fact not a myth ) because securom destroy their computer system.
And yes it did completely destroy my CD/ DVD drive to the point I had to "pay" a tech to installed a brand new drive.

During that time the tech person told me he had many in home calls because of securom and not just for the damage to the CD / DVD drive but other problems securom had cause with EA games.
I did not have not one single problem with my computer CD/ DVD drive until I installed the EP Bon Voyage, EA started adding securom after Seasons , so any EPs after Seasons have securom on it.

So yes and yes it is still relevant in 2014 "only" for those who if they want to buy a Sims 2 EPs to add to their current game, that came after Seasons it will have securom on it, and they may or may not have problems.
That is one reason why until this day I will not add any EPs to my game that came after Seasons or stuff packs.

Until you yourself have experience it you can not say it is not relevant for those who want to play Sims 2, until you come out of your own pocket and pay $$$$$ dollars for the damage by securom.
Let me be a bit clear "some people did not have any problem" with securom on their computer, but the record have been shown more did than less, other wise no one would have brought a court action against EA because of their securom .
Sure it is not relevant "NOW" for 2014 only because EA said they would not use it on Sims 3 but who can be sure ? All we can do is hope not.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Scholar
#23 Old 1st Aug 2014 at 6:35 PM
Oh my god, you guys.

http://help.ea.com/en/article/the-s...ion-pack-guide/

Quote:
Note: Digital copies of The Sims 3 use SecuROM technology to authenticate game licenses

There is so much misinformation and FUD about this.

Yes, I know some people apparently had problems with their CD/DVDs with BV. BV came out in 2007.

Do any of you really believe that the SecuROM in TS2UC is going to affect anyone's CD/DVD drive when the game does not even use the CD/DVD drive?

Please answer honestly.

I get that people are still angry about 2007-era events, but I really, really dislike that potential new fans are being scared away from the franchise because of shit that happened years ago and is NO LONGER RELEVANT.

Quote:
Some people even went to court in front of a judge ( and that a fact not a myth ) because securom destroy their computer system.

That's not what the primary court case was about. Additionally, anyone can sue anyone for anything.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#24 Old 1st Aug 2014 at 6:52 PM
Oh my god, you guys.

http://help.ea.com/en/article/the-s...ion-pack-guide/

There is so much misinformation and FUD about this.

Yes, I know some people apparently had problems with their CD/DVDs with BV. BV came out in 2007.

Do any of you really believe that the SecuROM in TS2UC is going to affect anyone's CD/DVD drive when the game does not even use the CD/DVD drive?

Please answer honestly.

I get that people are still angry about 2007-era events, but I really, really dislike that potential new fans are being scared away from the franchise because of shit that happened years ago and is NO LONGER RELEVANT.

@>> Gwynne>> Ok you do not have to use "curse words" to get your point across or to be clear.
This is a family site, no one is trying to make anyone scare it is a person choice as to what they want to buy if it is Sims 2. ( but they also need to know the facts about securom )
Your link is showing Sims 3 therefore as I have said in my other post Sims 3 "DO NOT" have any SecurRom on it, nor will Sims 4. Before you shout out to the mountain try to read with some kind of understanding.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Scholar
#25 Old 1st Aug 2014 at 6:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simonut
@>> Gwynne>> Ok you "do not have to use curse words" to get your point across or to be clear.

Please feel free to contact a mod if you have a problem with my word choices.

Quote:
Your link is showing Sims 3 therefore as I have said in my other post Sims 3 "DO NOT" have any SecurRom on it, nor will Sims 4. Before you shout out to the mountain try to read with some kind of understanding.

I'm sorry but this doesn't make any sense. The link I provided is to an EA page stating that Sims 3 DOES HAVE SECUROM. Read it again: "Note: Digital copies of The Sims 3 use SecuROM technology"
Page 1 of 3