Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Meet Me In My Next Life
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Aug 2014 at 11:59 PM Last edited by Simonut : 20th Aug 2014 at 7:40 PM.
Default Those Days Are Long Gone Or Is it ?
I was not sure just how to start this conversation, some of us may or may not be "Old Fashion" when it comes to moral values of our Sims.
I have notice over the years of playing the Sims that maybe EA / Maxis may just have throw being old fashion when it comes to relationships out of the window.

I notice that when I have Sims couple out on a date, ( not married couple ) Single Sims who are dating and having a good time, and the date turn out to be "great or a dream date".
The very next wants for them that popup is to WooHoo, or WooHoo in the car. Come on now, that mean right in the public eyes right in the car. Then they go a step further Sims can WooHoo and the barely private photo booths. ( thanks to NL )

Sims can go for a day of shopping at their favorite community lot or private own store and WooHoo right there in the clothing booth.
Want your Sims to take the "elevator" up to the second or third floor, not to worry they can WooHoo in the elevator as well. ( thanks to OFB )
I am sure depending on what EPs you have in your game there are a lot more places where Sims can WooHoo, I must say EA made the Sims very adventurous when it come to where they can do WooHoo.
I am "not" an old fashion kind of person, but I do have my limits. But it seem that EA when it came to moral values for the Sims they just flush it down the toilet, with all the daring places for Woohoo they are allow to have.

So it comes to this question do you let your Sims be adventurous when it come to WooHoo or do you try to give them some morals to follow. ? Like wait until they are married or engage or just let it all break loose ?
Well we all know that when EA gave us the "Aspiration Romance" the water dam went down and anything goes.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 12:17 AM
My sims are, for the most part, very moral.

They are also very sex-positive. There's nothing immoral about woohooing in a photobooth. In certain circumstances, it may be inconsiderate.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Field Researcher
#3 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 12:22 AM
It all depends on my Sim. If I have a very outgoing sim, who aspires for 'romance' (nice word for being a whore, lol), I let them woohoo anywhere humanly possible, with anyone interested in participating.

An outgoing sim with a different aspiration, may agree to try woohoo'ing in a car or something. Everyone else prefers the comfort of their own beds.

As for this part "But it seem that EA when came to moral values for the Sims they just flush it down the toilet, with all the daring places for Woohoo they are allow to have.", I'm glad Eaxis made it possible. After all, making it possible, isn't the same as saying "go be pervs, the lot o' ya!". They just... well... made it possible. Those who mainly plays bashful sims can simply not woohoo in public places.
Alchemist
#4 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 12:34 AM
I have ACR, and I generally let them do what they want, and where they want. The exceptions to this don't have anything to do with morals. For example, no woohooing your Sim on the side, while one of your in laws is visiting the same community lot. Sometimes I'll make Sims who are visiting a residential lot selectable and a couple will start heading toward the nearest bed. That gets shut down before it can start.
Scholar
#5 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 12:42 AM
I imagine my sims to be aware of who is on the lot together with them. So i.e. a Tank Grunt type of sim would not play with his girlfriend in the photobooth if his father or any other ranking military member who could report to Buzz are there, too. A Ripp type, on the other hand, would make absolutely sure daddy won´t miss the best part
Other than the occasional "not in front of my boss/mother in law/the alien ambassador!" my sims abide no restrictions when it comes to public woohoo, at least not in a standard neighborhood (and covering the historical ones here would lead too far off-topic). Unlike some of us (in real life I absolutely hate it when couples so much as kiss in public) the sims watching the public woohoo seem to enjoy it a lot.
Theorist
#6 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 12:57 AM
My Sims are allowed to get as wild and crazy as they like.

I have ACR2, as well as other romance/relationship mods, so it's really a free-for-all. Though, I find that the majority of my Sims are pretty respectful about when and where they choose to have a good time.

And, I've found that since I started letting my Sims pick out their love interest/spouse, my couples tend to stay faithful and often will reject advances by others.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Instructor
#7 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 3:00 AM
I could totally psychoanalyze the way I run my sims lives and apply it to myself, but now that I think about it, what happens in my games goes somewhat against my own relationship traditions/moral compass.
Usually, and unplanned, I make my sims pretty, er, sexually active, prior to marriage. But what can I say? I just want to make my pixels happy. (I'm a pushover for their wants.) Occasionally I might have a couple that "waits until marriage," but the last time I did must have been ages ago.
I have a family now, where the two weren't even married and they already have 4 kids. Engaged, but still waiting on the ceremony. Maybe it's just because personally I think a wedding loses it's "spark" or whatever when you've already reproduced. But that's just me, and I don't judge.

Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
In certain circumstances, it may be inconsiderate.

...Or if you play TS2 on a laptop as poorly taken care of as I do, they end up being the only sims on the lot. So, heck, who needs morals then? More fun for my sims!
Forum Resident
#8 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 4:05 AM
I have ACR so if my sims are left to their own devices they will woohoo where ever and whoever they want and most of the time I am okay with that. Let them do what and who they do, you know? But some sims I like to have a little more control over so cancel out a lot of interactions for woohoo and flirting until they are married, engaged, or at least beyond 10/10 relationship. Of course, even those sims sometimes I will allow to slip up. such as Mary Gavigan who had wanted another baby for a sim week and couldn't get pregnant by her husband. ACR had her wanting to woohoo a townie so I let her go ahead and do so even though it was kinda against her character. I figured she just wanted a baby so bad as she was getting older and her biological clock was ticking very loudly in her ear. I guess it all depends on who the sim is and what I think would be their limits and beliefs on woohoo.

The moon so bright shows me the way
Deep in the graveyard beside her I lay
Knowing she'll keep me safe from all harms
Though six feet apart, I lay in her arms...
Scholar
#9 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 4:47 AM
If they're in a committed relationship or are intended to be a sexually active character, anything goes. Everyone else I enforce chastity until their relationship becomes serious, usually
Scholar
#10 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 5:55 AM
EA did not have any moral intentions when it came to Sims 2, (unlike Sims 3, or 4 where what you can do is limited-- somewhat). The only morals your Sims have are the one's you give them. You are God to your Sims in any Sims game prior to Sims 3 meaning you decide To woohoo or not to woohoo, or where to woohoo, or who to woohoo with. It is a sandbox game you want moral Sims, give them morals, you want promiscuous Sims, you have them. There is nothing innately wrong with denying your Sims a want ... like woohoo..
Mad Poster
#11 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 6:06 AM
You know what I mind?

In common parlance, the world moral always and only refers to sex. Sex has fewer moral dimensions than most things, and they all boil down to consent and responsibility. Morals are about your whole life. About how you live and the choices you make and the grounds you make them on. You can be the most sexually continent person in the multiverse, and the most immoral, too.

By any rational moral standard, Mrs. Crumplebottom has terrible morals. She judges, she steals, and she assaults people. But you can't retaliate, because that would corrupt your entire game installation.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Inventor
#12 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 6:18 AM
I have ACR so my sims are about as moral as they care to be lol. I don't mind though, I've never been a promiscuous person, but this is a video game, not real life.

I also have my limits though, and I know many people will think this is odd, but I never let my sims cheat on their spouses. That kind of thing just makes me sick, even in a video game. I always configure my ACR settings so that my sims will never do this. Each to their own though, everyone plays differently which is what is so great about this game.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 7:07 AM
Depends on the character, and I tend to follow their wishes a lot. If they don't have any romantic-natured ones, I might leave them on their own. Aaaand...the other day, a sim met, wanted to woohoo and propose to someone already happily married with kids. On the first date. So I went along with it and decided to get the couple divorced, leaving the mother to raise a newborn and a toddler on her own, and making the husband move in with his gay lover. The end.
(there's also a bunch of affairs and cheating going on in my game, though, so I guess I don't worry about morality much)
Mad Poster
#14 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 7:17 AM
I also set up ACR to prevent married couples from cheating. They can do any ACR action with their spouse that they want, but I am very against cheating in marriage and do what I can to stop it. I'm less strict with the ACR settings for Sims that are not married.
Instructor
#15 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 10:01 AM
Well the sims will not woohoo autonomously, the player has to direct them to.
Also in the game it's ok to pay an elderly babysitter the equivalent of the price for one pizza for 2 hours work.
Also, it's ok that cafeteria workers work between 4 am and 12 pm, and they never need to go on breaks.
Hopefully the young people do not believe that real life is like their games.

Elephant! Handcuffs! Naughty! Tee hee!
Scholar
#16 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 11:23 AM
I am quite old-fashioned in a few of my beliefs, I have to admit I was absolutely horrified when I first played a Romance sim and saw the 'Have 3 loves at once' and 'Woohoo with 3 different sims' wants. I believe very strongly in monogamy, amongst other things.

However, I also have to admit that I eventually started letting some of my sims have affairs, or multiple lovers, just to add some drama to the game. I still have my favourite couples, who are not allowed to cheat on their spouses at all, but I do allow some of my sims to have a bit of choice, to add a bit of variety.

Sims having public woohoo doesn't bother me at all, I think it's quite funny. I'm not sure how I'd feel about it in real life, I definitely wouldn't want to see it, or hear it, more for the yuck factor! I would definitely be too embarrassed to try it myself, even if I did have a boyfriend/husband!

I don't really approve of underage sex, I think people should wait until they are 16. I do remember what it was like to have all those hormones, but I think young teenagers having sex is a bit gross, because their bodies haven't finished developing, and also because they're probably not mature enough to cope with all the emotions involved, or experienced in life enough to avoid being used. This is one area where I have the same values for real people and sims. I see my teen sims as 13-17, so I don't let them have woohoo until they have aged up to adult.

As for waiting for marriage, it depends on the individual sim. Some of them wait for marriage, or engagement, some do it as soon as they can. It often depends on how invested I am in the couple-some of my sims have waited until after marriage, and even way past the wedding night, simply because I forgot they hadn't woohooed yet! In real life, sex before marriage doesn't bother me either. I tend to approve more if the people are actually in a relationship, or really like each other, as opposed to casual sex, bt no-one's perfect and we all make mistakes. When I was a virgin, I had this rosy little idea of waiting until I was married, then when that didn't happen, I got quite attached to the idea that my boyfriend and I would be together forever, and eventually get married 'so that makes it alright', but when that didn't happen either, I just thought 'Oh well, never mind'! I am quite oddly proud of the fact that I've had fewer partners than my best friend, and I suspect that I might be below an average number for my age. I went out with one boyfriend twice, once in college, for about 3 months, and once again ten years later, for a few months, and I was like 'Yay, recycling! My number won't go up!'. I am a bit weird like that
Mad Poster
#17 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 12:59 PM Last edited by gummilutt : 20th Aug 2014 at 1:16 PM.
This thread makes my inner feminist cry.

Romance =/= whore. Sexually active =/= whore. Learn to words.

Sex before marriage =/= immoral
Sex in public places =/= immoral

Can we please just not go there. The amount of judging other people and their life choices in this thread is depressing. Do whatever you want with your life and your choices, but don't pretend like your choices are the right ones and people who do differently are immoral, bad people or whores.
Inventor
#18 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 1:58 PM
There are only 2 types of bad ("immoral") sex. 1. Forced and 2. Unsafe.

All other sex is perfectly healthy and moral. After all, it's basically what we were built to do.

Although walking through the local park and finding a couple rolling in the long grass might make me a little uncomfortable but to be honest, i'd rather my kids catch people having sex in public over seeing people in a real fight in public. Sex is natural and something we shouldn't be ashamed of, it's something (almost) all of our children will be doing someday and I for one would rather they be safe and knowledgeable than ignorant and end up pregnant or worse.
Forum Resident
#19 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 2:10 PM
Though I rather not get into the weird american based sex debates since well.. america seems to have some very weird notions about sex.

It does not really seem to be talked about much, which might actually partially be the reason why some people are going mental about it.
Here in the Netherlands its normal to talk about sex without going into detail. Amongst friends and such, or even co workers. Rarely in a very serious matter though, but it can be discussed and people generally arent getting all paranoid and crazy about it.

Heck, in America any form of nudity seems to be seen as immoral already. Even when its art, or topless sunbathing. No need to make a fuss about such things.
Then again, here in the Netherlands we may at times be a bit too liberal considering that movies rated 12+ may contain sex. It is very common to see sex in dutch movies, and not the overly censored kind where you don't see anything. Paul Verhoeven is quite known for this, even while he seems to have omitted it in most of his american movies for obvious reasons.

But yes, in generally speaking, America needs to loosen up a bit about this subject and not have such weird double standards. Violence seems just fine yet somehow the sight of a nipple will scar children for life. overreact much?
Sure, I dont live there, but most videogames I play have to abide by weird USA regulations. I mean, Mass Effect 1 got an 18+ rating just because of a few minor sex scenes where you don't see anything, and these even happen after romancing someone for quite a while and are not just happening too casually.
Theorist
#20 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 2:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
This thread makes my inner feminist cry.

Romance =/= whore. Sexually active =/= whore. Learn to words.

Sex before marriage =/= immoral
Sex in public places =/= immoral

Can we please just not go there. The amount of judging other people and their life choices in this thread is depressing. Do whatever you want with your life and your choices, but don't pretend like your choices are the right ones and people who do differently are immoral, bad people or whores.

I honestly think that many people (in general) are seriously uptight/repressed when it comes to sex and sexual matters (which is why in a movie we can be shown all the violence there is, but you show a boob...and it's like "Oh, my!"). When in reality, sex can be a very healthy and fun way to express yourself, love for someone or just for the heck of it. To each their own.

I'm fairly conservative in most aspects of my life, except sex. So long as one is not hurting anyone, carry on and do what you feel. And in my game, lots of things that happen (non-sexual related), wouldn't be apart of my real life, but I am entertained nonetheless.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Mad Poster
#21 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 3:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
In common parlance, the world moral always and only refers to sex. Sex has fewer moral dimensions than most things, and they all boil down to consent and responsibility. Morals are about your whole life. About how you live and the choices you make and the grounds you make them on.
Most of my Sims are highly moral beings when it comes to not hurting another Sim. But, when two of them want to make out or woohoo, and it's not hurting anyone else, they tend to ask, "Why not?"

I allow my Sims far more sexual license than I allow myself. In Real Life I'm an elder still looking for my First Kiss! Maybe that's why I like playing uninhibited Romance Sims. But I also like my Sims with children to put the children first, and I'd hate to see a married couple with children split up. So, for example I play single mum Gloria Jones as a Romance Sim who doesn't woohoo around, because she's trying to provide a stable home for her teenage son Andrew. (And also I suspect because the last time she tried to get off with another Sim [townie Donte Chalmers] he rejected her and she went into aspiration failure -- and that really did upset Andrew.)

If I keep on playing Pleasantview I may have a problem with Daniel Pleasant. He tends to take the attitude that what he does with Kaylynn doesn't hurt Mary Sue as long as she doesn't know. But the probability must be that she'll eventually find out. Daniel does love Mary Sue, but like a typical Romance Sim, he loves Kaylynn too. I don't know till it happens, but Daniel and Mary Sue will probably make up and try to muddle through for the sake of the twins. Lilith does need some stability.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 3:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PenelopeT
I honestly think that many people (in general) are seriously uptight/repressed when it comes to sex and sexual matters (which is why in a movie we can be shown all the violence there is, but you show a boob...and it's like "Oh, my!"). When in reality, sex can be a very healthy and fun way to express yourself, love for someone or just for the heck of it. To each their own.

I'm fairly conservative in most aspects of my life, except sex. So long as one is not hurting anyone, carry on and do what you feel. And in my game, lots of things that happen (non-sexual related), wouldn't be apart of my real life, but I am entertained nonetheless.

I'm going to absolutely agree with this. I don't consider consensual sexual behavior a matter of morality apart from religious or societal preferences. It's not rape. No one is getting hurt. The game doesn't include violent abuse, rape, torture, or bigotry, behaviors that seem to me to be immoral. Someone is definitely being hurt. Having sex in a car or a photo booth hurts no one.

It didn't start with TS2 either. Although TS1 didn't have cars or photobooths, the sexual behavior was the same.
Link Ninja
#23 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 3:47 PM
In general here are woo hoo stats on my sims and morality doesn't really have anything to do with sex. Bad morality for my sims is when one invites the other over and has the ladder taken out of the pool or cheats on their marriage without getting a divorce first.
-My romance sims woohoo like a Shakira song (whenever, wherever, WHOever)
-Family sims are more likely to wait until marriage and be monogamous.
-Science sims are usually repressed until uni but I do love it when their romance side comes out.
-Popularity sims make a lot of friends and then usually from those choices find some woo hoo-ing partners
-Pleasure sims just go with the flow.
I have never had a grilled cheese sim....but hopefully they don't want too woohoo with grilled cheese.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Lab Assistant
#24 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 3:52 PM
I tend to play mine fairly conservatively. When they are married, they are married. Any affairs are unintentional on my part. If they mess up without my help, they have to face the furious spouse and try and repair the relationship. Since I am fairly new, I am still working on the singles. But I won't woohoo until there is a serious relationship. I think it is good that we can play this as we see fit.
Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 4:10 PM
What is morally right for one person may not be morally right for another. Personally sex is not an issue to me, however some people consider hunting morally wrong. My passion is hunting. Over recent years my right to bear arms has become a hot issue. I do not condone violence, and I do not hunt for sport. What I hunt ends up on our dinner table.

If a game is developed and manufactured here in the USA, when shipping the game overseas or even across our borders to our neighbors, the USA's rules and regulations on that game should be lifted. It would be morally wrong for the USA to impose our rules and regulations on citizens of different countries.

Back to topic, I'm not the pervert my girlfriend seems to think I am. If my sims are single and/or a romance sims, they can woohoo all they want and with whom they want. But if my sims are married or just living together I try to make sure they stay faithful.
Page 1 of 3