Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 10:48 PM Last edited by Arsil : 1st Oct 2014 at 9:13 AM.
Default Mike for stand up comedy
Hello,
I'm working on a script that allows the use of a mike to perform stand up comedy.

It still has some issues so I was hoping to get some help with testing and advice.

While I wait for the permission of the mike's original author (so instead of uploading
the dll and the ituns separately I can upload the whole package and make things
easier for those who want to give it a try), can I post the sourcecode here?
Should I upload it or just use the code tags? Should I post/upload even the 3 ituns?
Let me know.

My code is a mess and to be honest there are a few parts that I don't even understand because
at first I just wanted a mike/mirror with only the "Practice speech" interaction and then I added other
code copy/pasting and trying to figure things out. I probably "reinvented the wheel" in a few
occasions instead of using libraries or whatever they are called.
I have a little coding background but I'm very bad at it.

A preview of how it works:
- a sim starts perfoming using the mike
- other sims get close to listen and laugh if they find it funny (mainly based on performer's charisma and some other modifiers)
- other sims can tip him so it can become a kind of profession
- if a sim found the show good/bad he gets a good/bad moodlet
- if the overall show was good/bad the performer gets a good/bad moodlet
- at the end of the show the performer gets a message with the total amount of money gained, if any
- it should be basegame compatible, except for some moodlets and traits but I think that can be worked out,
if I'm not wrong somewhere I've seen checks about the installation of a certain EP
(or maybe just having the game patched is enough)

Sorry for my english,
see you soon,
Arsil.

EDIT: see post #3 for the uploaded file.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 8th Sep 2014 at 9:21 AM
Sure, it's good to share with the community (and for me as a player without Showtime, it sounds interesting!!)
I believe it's okay to post your source code here using the code tags. Or maybe zip the package up and upload here. Because, I have a similar project which basically uses a mesh from a player that was last on since July, and I asked HystericalParoxysm for permission, that now he permits it and is in the upload queue. So I think you're good to go
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Sep 2014 at 12:49 PM Last edited by Arsil : 12th Sep 2014 at 4:25 PM.
WARNING: USE THIS MOD AT YOUR OWN RISK
Consider this as dangerous, harmful, ugly and stinky
until a jury of 19 ArchModders says otherwise.
Jokes aside, don't try this son of a byte in a savegame you care about.

WARNING 2: READ THIS POST AT YOUR OWN RISK
This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

I'm developing and testing this mod with Game Version 1.67,
but I can't see a reason why it shouldn't work with any previous version.

To try the mod you need a mike, I like THIS ONE.
You can use any microphone you want but it must have a slot.
Not that I know what a slot is or how it works, but I do know that the object needs one.
If the mike is a remesh of a mirror you should be fine.
You have to edit the OBJK of the object and use
Sims3.Gameplay.Objects.Decorations.Mimics.ArsilMike
as Script string. I know, not the best namespace/scriptName ever.

Once this mod has been tested and polished, I'd like to find a way to release
a package ready to use with no editing necessary. How can I do that?
Give the final users of the mod the option to choose a mike of their liking
is a very good point, but since the mike can be a mirror or a decoration
or some other object, how can I apply the script to one (or more) existing
[custom] objects? With a package who goes into the Override Folder?
Using the OBJD's instance? Is that the unique identifier of an object?
And even if that were the case, what if someone creates a new microphone?
I have no clue about all this stuff, I don't even know how to recategorize an object!

Things to keep in mind

PERFORMING
- with the itun i provided, in order to perform, a sim needs at least 1 level in the charisma's skill.
- charisma, mood, good sense of humor (if Showtime is installed even natural born performer) affect the comedian performance, of course also the watchers' mood and traits influence their reaction
TIPS
- poor sims (<180 simoleons) don't give tips or they'll go broke
- no tips if the watcher doesn't like the show (low charisma comedians will have a hard time)
- a sim of the same household of the performer wont give tips (it's a nonsense and would mess with the summary of the earnings)
FUN
- the itun I provided for the watching interaction only advertises fun, fun is increased by the script itself because if a sim doesn't like the show I don't want him to gain fun. Does that make me a bad person?

BUGS/ISSUES
- Find a more suitable name for the script and the package.
- a watcher sometimes get resetted (solved? so it seems)
- if the game is saved while a WatchStandUpComedy interaction is active, when loading the game the sim is stuck and needs a reset (to be confirmed, seems like it's not happening anymore)
- skill charisma gain during performing but no "level up". Not even gaining now.
- not sure about the "recover eye contact" system I'm using (RouteTurnToFace() or/and Actor.LookAtManager.SetRoutingLookAt). The performer can loose the watcher's attention but can also regain it (or at least this is how it's supposed to work).
- animations' transitions sometimes are not very smooth (solved?)
- voice w/o moving mouth and even before getting to the mike (this may be caused by the stuttering of the game)
- The mod should now be basegame compatible, I've used GameUtils.IsInstalled(ProductVersion.EP6) to isolate Showtime specific stuff. I hope all animations I used come from the basegame pool, I can't test/verify that right now. Optional: insert basegame compatible good/bad moodlet to give to the watcher if the show was good/bad (if neutral no moodlet)
- scaling problem: with low charisma is very hard or even impossibile to perform a good show and receive tips
- speaker was supposed to change into carreer outfit before starting and go back to his previous outfit at the end of the performance but it turned out he keeps changing back and forth during the show (code for changing outfit commented because I have no clue how to prevent that). Was probably related with the previous ExitReason I used for the loop but I kept the code commented since it's not a big deal

IDEAS/TODO (very low priority or completely optional, I just want to get rid of the issues right now)
- add a proper tip jar?
- replace the yawning animation played when the watcher didn't like the "last joke". The sound is so loud and annoying!
- syncronize laughs with punchline. Could not be that hard to do. Maybe there's a simple and already made way using "reactions" but i still don't know how that work
- keep track of lifetime earning with tips (it takes a custom skill/career to do that?)
- watching the show while sitting and/or sit in order to watch the show (oh boy, this looks hard to do!)
- make it tunable and less hard-coded
- localization or at least facilitate the task
- adding flavors/tones to the performance. Choose between different kinds of comedy: default (pleases a wider audience), trivial (dirty jokes and funny faces, teens or sim with certain traits could like this more), smart (snobs or other kind of sims could appreciate it). In this way you can play different kinds of comedians or comedians who can adapt their material/attitude when facing a specific audience.
- sims not interested in the show, or who already had their share of fun, stay nearby talking or making noise. It's annoying.
- since the previous point was not enough, add heckling and hecklers' handling

Here you can see young Bill killing it at the "Lollaments" Hangout.
I also made a crappy video.

In the attachment you'll find a zip file with:
- the package with the script/dll and 2 ituns
- the sourcecode. I know you can decompile the dll but here you can find a lot of stupid comments/questions as well as unused code I left as reference

Let'me know if it works and what you think about it.
All the "watching" code could use a complete redesign.

I started writing this mod with 0 experience/knowledge and nothing much changed since then,
I'm still an inept and haven't practiced OOP for many years. No idea how animations or state
machine (among many other thing) work, I've been stuck for hours before realizing that adding
an ExitReason makes you leave the whole interaction and not just DoLoop (EDIT: wrong! What
I meant to say was that I didn't realize that after using "this.Actor.AddExitReason(ExitReason.Finished);"
I couldn't play animations or do any routing anymore). So you can see, right there...
What I mean is that, if necessary, in order to get a nice and neat mod that everyone can
enjoy I'm willing to turn this into a group project or a site project (if there's such a thing).
Of course everyone is free to take what I've done, modify and redistribute it, whatever makes you happy.

Bye,
Arsil.

EDIT: I uploaded the wrong package. Of course I did. The right one is up now.

EDIT: I'm trying to create a new NRaas Self Employed Career,
mostly to have a nice icon (done!) and keep track of lifetime earnings.
Having trouble mapping new titles/description/stuff to localized strings.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  StandUpComedy.zip (17.6 KB, 15 downloads) - View custom content
Description: The right package.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 10:57 AM
Hi Arsil, I thought I'd reply here rather than us PM'ing each other anymore - maybe a new reply will help inspire further discussion by other members who can be of more help than I can, since I know very little about object coding/scripting!

As I mentioned in our PMs, I like this idea. I watched the video and enjoyed it. I thought I'd test it in my base-game only installation (I have just the base game installed on my laptop, and a full game with all expansion packs on my desktop PC), to see if it works in a fully-patched base game without needing Showtime. I used my microphone object, changed the OBJK to use your script from your separate .package file, and put both .package files in my Mods/Packages folder.

But unfortunately, when I click on the microphone, I only get this:

So it's a good start, it's obviously picking up your script from the separate .package, but it looks like maybe it does need something from Showtime as well (or some other expansion pack?) which is missing from the base game coding. I don't know if I'll get time to try it in my all-expansions game (it takes forever to load, unlike my base game installation) but if I do, I'll report back regarding how it looks there. Good luck!
Screenshots
Inventor
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 1:34 PM
Hey, thanks Esmeralda, I was starting to get depressed with no replies.

In order to perform a sim needs 1 level in the charisma skill.
If you don't like it, you can change the itun replacing
Code:
<SkillThreshold SkillThresholdType="Charisma" SkillThresholdValue="1" />

with
Code:
<SkillThreshold SkillThresholdType="None" SkillThresholdValue="0" />

Also, if the performer doesn't get tips it's probably because he has low charisma.

Please let me know if it works and if you like it,
bye,
Arsil.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 2:27 PM
Oh no, silly me - it's been so long since I played TS3, I'd forgotten that I started a new game the last time I played, and my sims didn't have any skills yet. So I gave a sim Level 1 Charisma and now it works fine in base game, at least as far as him performing and other sims watching him. In my game, the audience all tended to yawn and walk away without leaving any tips, but that might be because they were tired anyway, or maybe the performer needs higher Charisma to hold their attention? I didn't get to test it long enough to try to progress it to the tip-giving stage, because I only had a few minutes to play.

I like the mod a lot, it's fun to watch the sim perform and the audience react to him, and anything that adds fun to TS3 is a big bonus.

Am looking forward to seeing this mod completed - it looks like you're very close!
Inventor
Original Poster
#7 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 2:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Esmeralda
In my game, the audience all tended to yawn and walk away without leaving any tips, but that might be because they were tired anyway, or maybe the performer needs higher Charisma to hold their attention?

Yep, you can say that with a low charisma the comedian sucks!
Not sure if consider this a scaling issue or simply "cut one's teeth".

Thanks, you are very kind.

Bye,
Arsil.
Instructor
#8 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 3:19 AM Last edited by SimsMatthew : 14th Sep 2014 at 4:59 AM.
Hi, so I'm just mucking around and trying to give some tips (don't know if they're even true, just some of my opinions)
1. Re your charisma gaining problem - it's likely that Sim doesn't have enough friends to progress. So, I think it actually works.

2. Your Script Name is fine. Don't worry about it. In fact, it just needs to be unique. There's no problem. My scripts always have lengthy script names (that I usually put Simsmatthew as Namespace, and Simsmatthew_MyProject as my class, so it's really redundant. But it doesn't matter, really.

3. Re Comedians with low Charisma skill having a hard time - it's quite realistic I think, though for Sims 3 as a game supposed to be silly and fun, I think it can be adjusted. Can you PM or post here your source code to see how you did it? In fact, I need some tips on how to use the LookAt thingys, since I am working on a HorseOverhaul mod, and when I am trying to actualize horse racings, I hope that the NPCs I generated actually watch the race instead of standing and doing nothing.

4. To keep track of lifetime earning of tips, add a Dictionary to do this. Frankly, I know Dictionary and List better than animation stuff (which apparently you're doing great!), so you can declare a Dictionary that takes parameters of Sim Ids and Int (integer for tips) http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit..._Extra_Sim_Data
And then add an interaction, that shows a TNS that has the value of tips (int) retrieved.

5. Well, since I have never been to a stand up comedy before, I don't know if talking privately while a show is going on is appropriate, but if I were you, I would find this reasonable and there's no need for extra handling. Really, though it's up to you and it's your project!

6. Re your career outfit - I can't really help out if there's no source code. Perhaps I can try and help?

And, are you interested to work with my Horse Overhaul mod? Please?

EDIT: Found source code. My mistake. Will read it.
Inventor
Original Poster
#9 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 9:33 AM
Hi SimsMatthew,
Thanks for taking the time to try the mod and give me your thoughts.

About charisma gaining already working
Is that so? Even the "level up"? Maybe you're right, I'll check it out.

About using a Dictionary to record lifetime earnings
While that may work, I don't really like it as a solution for this kind of problem.
If possibile, I'd rather create a new [NRaas] skillbased/self-employed career,
but so far I failed "linking" the strings in the XML to the localized strings.
It doesn't help not being able to navigate the NRAAS site/wiki, cause I can't
get used to that kind of layout (I still find weird and get lost even in this forum).

About the career outfit
I think that it may work fine now just uncommenting the code,
I wanted to focus on other issues so I've not tested it yet.

Bye,
Arsil.
Instructor
#10 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 10:53 AM Last edited by SimsMatthew : 14th Sep 2014 at 11:06 AM.
So, you mean you actually plan to turn your Stand Up Comedy Mic into a skill career? Well, I can give no help on that since that seems really difficult to do. You can definitely look at the NRaas code but the scripting style isn't the most beginner-friendly (indeed looks dauntin to me, since it's written in an orderly yet complicated manner - you get the idea? There are so many classes and methods and enums and it's almost like the Sims 3 Game .dlls!

As a simple solution to keeping track of lifetime earnings, a Dictionary is probably what you need. It's really easy to use and if I were you, I would be satisfied with such a solution. Though, if you're feeling the want to venture into the unknown, go ahead
NOTE: from your posts, I think you have got the idea that "keep track of lifetime-stuff (eg races a horse has done, tips a Sim has got...) is linked to custom skill / career" No, it isn't necessarily true.

You can try removing some comments inside your source code. For example, use Notepad++ to paste your code-in-testing, and then change the language to C# under "C", then when you save, it will automatically be in .cs format, which you can name the file "(eg) Outfit Change Code". This way, it's more readable. I had a hard time going through your code, so it can be a good idea.

EDIT: Re script name: you should append ".Arsil" or something so that it doesn't belong to the original EA Decorations.Mimics class. Don't know if this is necessary, but it's better, I think.
Inventor
Original Poster
#11 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 12:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SimsMatthew
So, you mean you actually plan to turn your Stand Up Comedy Mic into a skill career?

I wont say "turn it into a skill career", but I'd like to do it that way cause there are
other side benefits and all the career part could be optional, so you can keep using
it as a standalone mod without other mods required (except for the mike).

Quote:
As a simple solution to keeping track of lifetime earnings, a Dictionary is probably what you need. It's really easy to use and if I were you, I would be satisfied with such a solution. Though, if you're feeling the want to venture into the unknown, go ahead
NOTE: from your posts, I think you have got the idea that "keep track of lifetime-stuff (eg races a horse has done, tips a Sim has got...) is linked to custom skill / career" No, it isn't necessarily true.

I know it's not necessary to use a career or a skill, but I don't want to add to
every single Sim a field/variable/whatever that only a few Sims will ever use.

Quote:
You can try removing some comments inside your source code. [CUT]
I had a hard time going through your code, so it can be a good idea.

Sorry about that. I know it's not easy to read but I left a lot of comments
on purpose, hoping to get answers since most of them are questions or
things like "Did I get this right? Does it work that way?".

Bye,
Arsil.
Instructor
#12 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 12:21 PM
Sorry for double posting, but I do this is due to the sake of orderliness - this post is to point out some things of interest in the source code:
1. This does nothing. Remove it. If you look at other modder's code, you can see that this is not needed. This is only given by VS when you start the project, I suppose?
Code:
public ArsilMike()
        {
        }

2. It can be a good habit to make those "min / max watch distnace" XML-tunable.
3. Consider limiting the interaction to YoungAdultOrAbove? And, it's a good habit to check
(a != null && target != null)

Code:
protected override bool Test(Sim a, ArsilMike target, bool isAutonomous, ref GreyedOutTooltipCallback greyedOutTooltipCallback)
				{
                    //if (target.InUse) return false; // there's a queue
					return true;
				}

4. Regarding your ConfigureInteraction part, I have no idea, since I never worked with ITUNs.
5. No need to check if the game has EP6 installed since even without the check it won't return a script error. I don't have ITF but it's fine for me with the coding of plumbots in my BotCharger mod.

6. Do you know you can use && to represent "And", || to represent "Or" in an If-statement? For example,
|
Code:
 if (this.Target.currentSpeaker.HasTrait(TraitNames.GoodSenseOfHumor)) modifier++;
                if (this.Target.currentSpeaker.HasTrait(TraitNames.Charismatic)) modifier++;
                if (GameUtils.IsInstalled(ProductVersion.EP6)) // Showtime
                {
                    if (this.Target.currentSpeaker.HasTrait(TraitNames.NaturalBornPerformer)) modifier++;
                    // I can't find this anywhere
                    //if (this.Target.currentSpeaker.HasTrait(TraitNames.NaturalPerformer)) modifier++;                    
                }

It can be rewritten into one single if statement.

7. Is this redundant? In what you're writing it means...
- If Sim is in NegativeMood, modifier decreases by 1 time
- If Sim is in StrongNegativeMood, total accumulated modifier decreases by 2 times
Code:
if (this.Actor.MoodManager.IsInNegativeMood) modifier--;
                if (this.Actor.MoodManager.IsInStrongNegativeMood) modifier--;

8. Re cooldown period for another Stand Up Comedy: You can add a List that contains comedians-in-cooldown, that the Test method in your interaction checks whether actor Sim is in that list, and if yes, return a Tooltip. And then, in your interaction that after the comedian finishes, he / she is added to that list, and an Alarm starts, that when it finishes, return a callback method in which the comedian is removed from the list. See Buzzler's Pure Scripting Mod for Alarm example, or my BotCharger that actually uses a similar approach.

9. Put in one if statement please.
Code:
 if (tipper == null) return false;
            // redundant/useless?
            if (mike == null || mike.currentSpeaker == null)
            {
                return false;
            }

10. Should be uncommented. These do some basic checks that is also present in others' mod (such as NRaas GoHere for the custom GoToVenue Interaction), so I believe they're needed.
Code:
route.SetOption(Route.RouteOption.CheckForFootprintsNearGoals, true);
            route.SetOption(Route.RouteOption.DoLineOfSightCheckUserOverride, true);

11. Put in one single If-statement, again.
Code:
if (this.Actor.HasTrait(TraitNames.AbsentMinded)) modifier--;
                if (this.Actor.HasTrait(TraitNames.Grumpy)) modifier--;
                if (this.Actor.HasTrait(TraitNames.Snob)) modifier--;
                // has to be in a good mood to enjoy comedy
                if (this.Actor.MoodManager.IsInNegativeMood) modifier--;
                if (this.Actor.MoodManager.IsInStrongNegativeMood) modifier--;

And, on a side note, what do you want to do with the testing interaction??
Instructor
#13 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 12:28 PM
EDIT: just saw your reply so I thought I'd start a new post:
1. You won't add every Sim to the dictionary - just add that performer when he / she uses the Mic (if an entry isn't found for him / her). It won't bloat up, and you can always use the kSimDied event listener to check when a performer dies, removes his entry from the dictionary - cleanup, you may say that.
Theorist
#14 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 1:31 PM Last edited by tizerist : 14th Sep 2014 at 1:42 PM.
Tried this briefly. Very nice, I like what I saw. It still needs work as you said, like I didn't see anyone laugh, but it was a short test only.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Inventor
Original Poster
#15 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 2:01 PM
Quote:
Tried this briefly. Very nice, I like what I saw. It still needs work as you said, like I didn't see anyone laugh, but it was a short test only.

Thanks, I appreciate that. Next time try with a sim with maxed charisma.

Code:
public ArsilMike()
        {
        }

Yeah, of course this does nothing, I know that much ;P
I think it's called "constructor", I left it as reference: doesn't hurt
anybody and you might put something in it in the future.

Quote:
No need to check if the game has EP6 installed since even without the check it won't return a script error

It's not there to avoid getting an error. If Showtime is installed the parameters to evaluate
the performance change (you can get a bigger modifier), so the check is indeed needed.

About grouping "ifs": I want to check every single condition separately, to increase/decrease
the modifier accordingly. In other cases, you are right, I could put more conditions in a single "if"
statement using logical operators, but it's not a big deal and anyway I prefer putting them apart
cause It's easier to eventually modify the code later.

Good idea about the cooldown, but that was an "old" comment and right now I don't want
that kind of restriction anymore: if the comedian wants to put one show after another so be it.

About the dictionary: if you put it that way then it could be a good solution.
But I still don't like the idea of having to use an interaction (on the sim himself?)
to check the value. It just doesn't sound good to me.

Bye,
Arsil.
Instructor
#16 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 2:41 PM
No, the NaturalBornPerformer trait check for modifier is inside the EP6 check, and from what I see, you didn't increase the modifier capacity inside it (could have missed it since I am on my phone now), so if it doesn't then it is not needed in my humble opinion.

About Grouping Ifs: you are right with the modifier (more good traits, bigger modifier), but you should really do this for the (something is null) checks since that should save the game some burdens.
Theorist
#17 Old 15th Sep 2014 at 7:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Arsil
Thanks, I appreciate that. Next time try with a sim with maxed charisma

I did actually. I'll try again later, see what happens

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 8:05 PM
Hello! I'm normally a lurker in these forums but I had to come out of hiding to say how much I LOVE this idea, and that I'm rooting for you!
Inventor
Original Poster
#19 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 9:35 AM
Thanks. Have you tried it? (see post #3)
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 9:06 PM
I just installed it now with the mike you suggested. It's working pretty well for me! My sim has the option to 'Perform Stand Up Comedy' and then the others have the option to watch. The other sims are also choosing to watch autonomously. ^.^

I'm just twiddling with the ITUNs to make it so the 'fun' motive increases for the audience. Is there anything you'd like me to check?
Inventor
Original Poster
#21 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 9:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Cinderellimouse
I'm just twiddling with the ITUNs to make it so the 'fun' motive increases for the audience.

Just so you know, the fun is increased by the script itself, but only if the watcher "liked the joke".
No need to mention you're free to change the itun to your liking anyway.

Quote:
Is there anything you'd like me to check?

Not really, just please report any bug or weirdness if you find any.
I'm glad you enjoy it, from your last message it seemed to me
you though it was still just an idea and not yet playable.

Bye,
Arsil.
Inventor
Original Poster
#22 Old 10th Oct 2014 at 3:05 PM
I had no idea there was a similar feature in "Into the Future", I wish I knew!

Sometimes the comedian goes in a bad spot for performing, I think the show
it's too short, I don't like the futuristic lights and the use of props/puppets,
the animation is always the same (just an impression, I haven't looked at the
code) but otherwise it's very nice.

With a simple itun mod you can add the performing interaction to humans too,
the only issue is that the moodlet's icon and description that watchers get will
still mention a bot comedian.
Inventor
Original Poster
#23 Old 14th Oct 2014 at 5:07 PM Last edited by Arsil : 14th Oct 2014 at 5:22 PM.
Question: why if I use the namespace Arsil.StandUpComedy the game tries to kill me (nah, it just freezes)
and if I use Sims3.Arsil.StandUpComedy it's ok? Is the game trying to tell me to not get too cocky?

EDIT FROM
Quote:
In case of object mods, you'll always need to put an object's class in a namespace that begins with Sims3.Gameplay.Objects. If you don't do that, the object will cause the game to crash when you try to buy it in the catalog.

Reading is overrated... It seems that the "Sims3." prefix is enough but I'm sure that the author
of the tutorial knows better so I'll use "Sims3.Gameplay.Objects" too.

Anyway, I'll release soon an updated version that includes a Skill Based Career.
1978 gallons of pancake batter
#24 Old 14th Oct 2014 at 5:20 PM Last edited by Buzzler : 14th Oct 2014 at 5:37 PM.
Has something to do with how the game finds/loads/initializes the class for GameObjects. I don't remember the details right now, but that was introduced with one of the early patches. Broke most of the scripted objects out there, and we only found out because Inge Jones used an EAxian namespace for one of her objects and that wasn't affected. Good times...

ETA: Being the author and all. The Sims3.Gameplay.Objects thing was kind of a safety measure. That part of the namespace all EAxian objects shared at that point, so it seemed safe. You can name everything else just how you want btw.

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman
Inventor
Original Poster
#25 Old 14th Oct 2014 at 5:31 PM Last edited by Arsil : 14th Oct 2014 at 5:42 PM.
Thank you very much! Then that is probably the reason why the Working Bulletin Board
freezes the game, now that I know that I'll try to fix it again someday.
Page 1 of 2