Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Sep 2014 at 10:14 PM Last edited by InfinitesAreReal : 12th Sep 2014 at 10:37 PM.
Default Are these eyes high-quality enough?
I made a pair of eyes following a lovely tutorial and I'd like to get them uploaded, but first, I would like them to be checked for quality.
Currently I only have a grey pair, maxis-match, but more colors are in the works, and I can still edit these easily if I need to.

Mainly, I think the highlights and the pupils are my issues (if they are issues, that is) but feel free to point out other nitpicky things if needed.

Ingame pictures:
Screenshots

The queen of mean and baking.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 12th Sep 2014 at 10:23 PM
Right now, they blend in too much with the grey mannequin to be accurately judged, in my opinion. Some in-game pictures would be very useful.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Sep 2014 at 10:29 PM
Okay, I can get those up in a moment

They're up, and now I see the jagged edges- I'll see if I can fix those. Any opinions?

Instructor
#4 Old 12th Sep 2014 at 10:52 PM
Thanks for the new shots; much clearer than Bodyshop.

I think you have a very good start. Here are some things I can notice.

I agree that the edges need to be smoothed out. Also, some more contrast on the iris would help, just to make the highlights stand out from the shadows more. Oepu made some detailed maxis match irises that can show what I mean.. http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=254735

As for the spotlights, that depends on whether you're going for the kind of cloudy Maxis look or if you want something clearer. Personally, I prefer clearer spotlights, but that's simply an opinion. They do look a bit pixellated right now, though.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 12:27 AM Last edited by InfinitesAreReal : 14th Sep 2014 at 1:06 AM.
I completely redid them with a lovely, new-and-improved method (it took fifty steps but hey, they're gorgeous now). I also made nice swatches, made the pupils bigger (it's like the old eyes were constantly stunned with a bright light) and improved the spotlight shape. I'm not sure about the jaggedness because they weren't jagged in Gimp, Paint.Net, or bodyshop, so I'm thinking game issue. My graphics settings might not be all the way, so I'll check on that.
I made a green as well, which looks slightly weird but I think they're nice (I can also stop stressing because I can close everything now that I have a color template).

The pupils look nicer and, at least in CAS, the jaggedness is a lot less, but part of the spotlights was put sideways- is this a horrible mistake, do you think, or can they stay?

The grey looks a little jagged but I don't think I can do anything. The spotlights look kind of off on the bottom part but I think I can rotate them quite easily.
Screenshots
Attached Images

Instructor
#6 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 7:05 PM
Sorry for just dropping back in here out of the blue.

I think these look much softer than the first version. The highlights and pupils look good to me. I still think they could use some more defined shading, though. Some shading on their upper iris will give them some more depth but still be Maxis-match.
The Pathfinder
retired moderator
#7 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 8:10 PM
About the shots:
Firstly edit your graphic in-game options to show your content the best possible way. This will help us look at the eyes better and see if there are any issues with them that can be helped with
About the eyes:
I'd advise you to make the pupil a bit lighter,avoiding 100% black. Also you can create any type of eyes,but you'd be aware that if you present them for "real" eyes,they'd look more like it. You can always make fantasy colors and stuff,but the texture should be more natural.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 8:22 PM
I think smooth edges was off-that could be my problem with the jagged edges- I'll have to check my old eyes and see if they look nicer.

I think I may have tried to put the pupil at f0f0f0 but it might need to be lighter (that's the almost-black color in TS3 and I thought it would translate well). I think I'm putting this project on hold for a bit to improve my recolor skills anyhow, so I'll return to this soon.