Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 4:01 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 24th Sep 2014 at 4:22 AM.
Default Ovenless Households? How far will Microwaves & Toasterovens take Me?
I'm thinking of creating micro-apartments. Actually, I've already done so, but maybe I can save some space.
Is it possible to make decent meals using just microwaves and the small refrigerators? Could a Sim thrive using just those to make meals, or will he be constantly eating small, crappy meals?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 4:26 AM
Morague has a microwave meals series here that gives you more options on what you can cook with a microwave.
Theorist
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 6:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Morague has a microwave meals series here that gives you more options on what you can cook with a microwave.

Eh, I wasn't really looking for CC. Thanks anyway.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 6:04 AM
Well the Maxis options are pretty much small and crappy meals unfortunately.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 6:05 AM
Would using fresh produce solve this problem? Glowing food will annihilate a hunger bar, even if it isn't one of the high cooking skill meals

Check out my Simblr to follow the development of the Grand Duchy of Heimlichbourg!
Mad Poster
#6 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 6:10 AM
I don't think micro apartments would have room for a garden plot though.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 6:30 AM
Maybe one has a OFB-shop that sells produce. I certainly do, and I can't be the only one.
Theorist
Original Poster
#8 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 6:31 AM
Well, there could be a community garden plot, I suppose. That might certainly be doable. Nothing is really set in stone, other than the actual size of the apartments.
Can produce be stored in the small fridges?
There are so many things I don't know about this game...sorry for asking what may seem like dumb questions in the smart questions forum.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 7:06 AM
You need a cc mini fridge or a full size in game fridge. I have some fairly tiny apartments and get away with a fridge and two benches. One has a trash compacter and the other a dishwasher. The sims can only prepare fridge meals or go outside and use the BBQ. I have numerous cc meals that don't require a stove so it doesn't bother me too much.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Inventor
#10 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 7:22 AM
In Csonka Prison (in my Csonka Canon Hood) they only have a small fridge and a microwave. (It isn't a hotel, you're there to be punished )
So, only two choices of food and not very filling of course, but Ben Magee and Darim Akbari managed to stay alive on it. They just had to eat (a bit) more often than usual, but they weren't constantly making meals.
Instructor
#11 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 7:51 AM Last edited by fruitsymphony : 23rd Sep 2014 at 12:44 PM.
In my mini apts, the kitchens are 4 by 4 tiles.(edit Actually I meant 2 by 2, 4 tiles in total.) There is 1 free tile for standing, 1 micro wave on top of a mini fridge, 1 sink and in the corner some decoration, the corner is not accessible so there's no actual work top.
So I downloaded an OMSP for counters which can be used with a dresser. (Only 2 dressers have the appropriate height, one is Ikea Ånes.)

The sims can prepare
Mr Noodle
TV Dinner
Cereal
Pop tart
Lunch meat sandwiches
Chef's salad

They can order

Pizza
Chinese take away food

They can also have
Birthday cake (when applicable)

So they have lots of variation. You could perhaps place an outdoor grill in the communal area, in that case they could also have hot dogs, hamburgers and grilled fish on there menu.

Elephant! Handcuffs! Naughty! Tee hee!
Mad Poster
#12 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 10:56 AM
Huh, I swear I replied to this, must have not clicked post!

You need a counter for most of that list, only ramen, TV dinners and toaster pastries can be made without a counter. So you could always have a minifridge (with counter top) plus stove, you'd just need a 1x2 or 2x2 nook somewhere. You can't place a stove with a wall in front of the tile in front of it, but objects can occupy the adjacent tile.

The counter top OMSP is very useful in small apartments and I recommend OMSPs in general, especially functional ones. The food prep OMSP works well on top of a cooker, they use a chopping board anyway so it doesn't look odd. As for height it doesn't really matter as long as it's not really out - try desks, dining tables, the back of a chair or sofa or top of a decoration or electrical item or some such.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Instructor
#13 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 11:18 AM
The Ånes dresser is exactly the same height as a kitchen counter so it does not look odd at all
Then there is another 2 tile dresser which is the perfect height too.
I'm really interested in this topic, I even thought about a custom hood with lots of poor sims in tiny apartments, where they could not cook properly, and some business owning sims who would sell take out food.
Like a deli.
It would be like a mini economic system.

Mad Poster
#14 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 12:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mirjampenning
In Csonka Prison (in my Csonka Canon Hood) they only have a small fridge and a microwave. (It isn't a hotel, you're there to be punished )
So, only two choices of food and not very filling of course, but Ben Magee and Darim Akbari managed to stay alive on it. They just had to eat (a bit) more often than usual, but they weren't constantly making meals.

I use Inge's institutional servery to feed all my prisoners gruel. XD
Scholar
#15 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 2:13 PM
I even uploaded some of my (really tiny) microapartments here at MTS (link here ) which share a public microwave.
And, yeah, it's good enough for most of them but depending on their cooking skills (and probably EPs installed) sometimes the menu choice is very limited. Which for me is fine because only poor Sims live in those cheap apartments of mine.

There is also a little electric oven which may offer more variety? I don't remember, haven't used it in a long while.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 3:01 PM
The toaster oven behaves like a real oven.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 3:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by fruitsymphony
The Ånes dresser is exactly the same height as a kitchen counter so it does not look odd at all
Then there is another 2 tile dresser which is the perfect height too.
I'm really interested in this topic, I even thought about a custom hood with lots of poor sims in tiny apartments, where they could not cook properly, and some business owning sims who would sell take out food.
Like a deli.
It would be like a mini economic system.

Selling takeout food is one of my favorite businesses, personally- it's very fun and profitable. More importantly, it's a good business to have running because you're never sorry to see that your playables have loaded up on it. No matter how good a product is, there are limits to how many of them you want your sims to have- but with consumables like plates of glowing food, the more they buy, the better, because it makes that household easier to play

Check out my Simblr to follow the development of the Grand Duchy of Heimlichbourg!
Theorist
Original Poster
#18 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 5:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
The toaster oven behaves like a real oven.

Well, doesn't this solve the issues then?
With a toaster oven placed atop a small fridge, along with a counter placed beside the fridge, couldn't Sims make many of the larger nutritious meals?
Mad Poster
#19 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 6:10 PM
Ought to.

I'd be disinclined to do it, myself, because the toaster ovens in Sims1 were raging infernos waiting to happen and didn't add enough to the food score to be worth it. But they might not be such fire hazards in Sims2.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#20 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 6:15 PM
Haha! Oh yes, I remember the badly-soldered (must have been, right?) lawsuit waiting to happen toaster ovens. I think I am slightly paranoid about them myself due to this. But actually I don't think they do catch fire unless you leave something in them for too long.

Besides, if you're having a toaster oven + fridge and then an entire counter, you're taking up the same amount of space as a mini fridge (with inbuilt counter) and a real cooker. Although you could do toaster oven + fridge and then have a counter OMSP somewhere else I suppose.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Scholar
#21 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 6:47 PM
That's funny. IRL I can only use my toaster oven most of the year (desert + wood cookstove = no stove in summer....). I even bake bread in my toaster oven!

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Theorist
Original Poster
#22 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 8:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
Besides, if you're having a toaster oven + fridge and then an entire counter, you're taking up the same amount of space as a mini fridge (with inbuilt counter) and a real cooker. Although you could do toaster oven + fridge and then have a counter OMSP somewhere else I suppose.

The thing is, a "real cooker" (oven?) would pretty make it a "real kitchen", which is what I'm trying to avoid.
OK, normally my kitchens consist of these items, at a minimum:
1) Fridge
2) Oven
3) Counter with sink
4) Empty counter (for preparing meals)
So, that's 4 squares.
(Realistically, I like to have 2-3 empty counters, but the above items are the minimum for a "real" kitchen.)

If I omit the oven and combine mini-fridge with a toaster oven, I reduce the required space to 3 squares:
1) Counter with mini-fridge underneath and toaster oven on top
2) Empty counter for preparing meals
3) Counter with sink.
So, that's 3 squares.

Is someone going to tell me that game will not allow me to put a toaster oven atop a counter that has a mini-fridge underneath? Please don't tell me that. :P
Instructor
#23 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 8:34 PM
Have you tested if the toaster oven works with a mini fridge?

Mad Poster
#24 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 8:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by fruitsymphony
and in the corner some decoration, the corner is not accessible so there's no actual work top.

I think you might want to know about Numenors SEP (slot enabler package). It makes corner counters usable by Sims, both for appliances and as a place to prepare things. Only affects maxis counters, but I find that is a small price to pay for it's awesome.

Click here for the rather fabulous SEP
Instructor
#25 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 8:48 PM
Thank you! I will try that.

@ScaryRob, I remembered something. The microwave will not be there when a sim rents the apartment, unless they rent furnished.
The sim has to buy their own microwave.

Page 1 of 2