Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#26 Old 25th Sep 2014 at 5:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
No. My surname is very English and doesn't appear on their list, nor does my husband's, or the replacements taken from US census data. I've never found one with British names, which is a shame.

I haven't seen our first names either which is odd because they're common enough that I can think of 3 or 4 characters in TV shows with our first names.

Have you tried setting game language to UK English? As far as I know, it's in US English by default, and the names might differ (they definitely do with other languages but I never tested UK English myself).
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 25th Sep 2014 at 5:38 PM
Yes I did see a sim with my first name and was supprised. My sim couple from Veronaville went on a date to the Downtown One-Twenty-Five Cafe. As they were getting out of the car a Regina so and so came down the sidewalk. I know there are Reginas out there, but in my 60 someodd years I have only met one other Regina in my life.
Field Researcher
#28 Old 25th Sep 2014 at 8:19 PM
I share my first name with one of Olive Specter's victims in the Finnish version of the game Also with a child townie, I think, but I'm not sure which neighborhood she's from.
Forum Resident
#29 Old 25th Sep 2014 at 10:37 PM
David Morris is an insanely common name (which people still manage to mess up), yet I don't think it's in The Sims by default.
Mad Poster
#30 Old 26th Sep 2014 at 9:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jimma
Yes I did see a sim with my first name and was supprised. My sim couple from Veronaville went on a date to the Downtown One-Twenty-Five Cafe. As they were getting out of the car a Regina so and so came down the sidewalk. I know there are Reginas out there, but in my 60 someodd years I have only met one other Regina in my life.
That was probably townie Regina Tsvirkunov, one of the nicest Sims in Veronaville.

Regina is a good name. As I'm sure you know, it means "queen" in Latin.
Mad Poster
#31 Old 26th Sep 2014 at 9:22 AM
No, my game has always been set to UK English. It doesn't even change the spellings, which is disappointing. What it does change quite often is custom content - people often only change the language strings for US English and don't realise that they can literally just copy and paste (It's what EA did!) into the UK English box. So with CC you often get the name or description of the original item rather than the custom one which is a pain in the hole!

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
#32 Old 26th Sep 2014 at 9:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
What it does change quite often is custom content - people often only change the language strings for US English and don't realise that they can literally just copy and paste (It's what EA did!) into the UK English box. So with CC you often get the name or description of the original item rather than the custom one which is a pain in the hole!
That will be why a lot of my CC has the descriptions of the original Maxis item from which the CC was cloned. I always wondered why modders put all that effort into creating an item but didn't bother to write a description. Thanks for clearing up a minor mystery/
Mad Poster
#33 Old 27th Sep 2014 at 2:42 AM
I think I've seen one or two with my first name or a variant spelling. Never my last name, but my last name is quite rare--see, my father-in-law's generation was the first generation to be required to come up with last names, around the time he was in college, and he took two common family names, dropped a couple letters from each, and mashed them together. My father-in-law's brothers each picked a different last name. So my in-laws, my husband, his brothers, and their families are quite literally the only people in the world with this last name--nineteen of us total. Everyone better behave 'cause they'll know it's us if we don't!

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 27th Sep 2014 at 2:23 PM
I can't recall ever seeing my first (Shelley) or last name on a Sim - though there are a few called Shelby which is close.

When I was about fourteen I found the exact (first and last) name of my best friend's boyfriend on a townie. He even had the same hair and eye colour. I immediately made a version of her, married them and made them have babies, then sent her loads of screenshots.
Top Secret Researcher
#35 Old 27th Sep 2014 at 8:53 PM
No, not my name, but the name of someone I work with. I laughed when I saw the townie with the name - a surprisingly simple name for a Sim townie.
Mad Poster
#36 Old 27th Sep 2014 at 9:04 PM
Even though I have a common first name in the US (Michelle), I've only seen one or two townies with that name. I've never seen any Sim with my last name, with either spelling. (Its German, and my Great Grandfather slightly changed the spelling when he came to America to make it look less German.)
Top Secret Researcher
#37 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 3:15 AM
My first name is not a very common name, so it hasn't ever been used in The Sims series before. Nothing even remotely similar, which is kinda sad for me...
Mad Poster
#39 Old 1st Dec 2014 at 6:10 PM
Rosemary. thought I write mine with ie instead of y.
And yeah...she already robbed my sims a few times. Only first name. I would have panicked if she had both.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Alchemist
#40 Old 1st Dec 2014 at 6:29 PM
No one is named Filip in SimNation
Scholar
#41 Old 1st Dec 2014 at 6:49 PM
No, my name is a bit unique
Mad Poster
#43 Old 1st Dec 2014 at 7:10 PM
Peter? Ir is the male version of my name
Mad Poster
#44 Old 1st Dec 2014 at 7:56 PM
Nope. My name isn't common enough for a list of some 100-1000 names, and besides, I wouldn't want any sims with my name. My first name isn't English-friendly, and my full name is even worse...

I always find it weird when other people have the same name as me. I've only met a handful, and know of a few more. All up to high school or thereabout, I knew of one person (a minor celebrity much older than me).
Instructor
#45 Old 1st Dec 2014 at 8:16 PM
my name is too unusual..I'm glad, I think it would freak me out! One thing I did notice is that sometimes if I give my sims unusual names, in my custom hoods I'll see newly spawned townies with those same (first) names. Strange! I wonder if the game keeps track of what you name your sims or something?

Bustin' Out!
Mad Poster
#46 Old 1st Dec 2014 at 8:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kaiko Espurr Mikkusu
My first name is Gaia and i don't think that is in The Sims english version. . .
No, but it's the name of a gay nightclub in my Downtown. I certainly didn't know it was your name when I called it that!

Sorry!!!!!!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#47 Old 1st Dec 2014 at 9:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kaiko Espurr Mikkusu
Maybe your great-grandparents (both your grandpa's mother and your grandpa's father) had a dream of some sorts and decided to give your grandfather a name based on that dream b\c they thought it was destiny. Or maybe just a portmanteau or something. Or if your great-grandmother and great-grandfather were married (and thus a potential child of them would have had the great-grandfather's surname) maybe they just decided that by the time your grandpa would have grown up, your great-grandfather's surname would be out of fashion, and so invented a new one. You could also try to google it and maybe you'd get something like that.

My Great-grandma isn't with my great-grandfather anymore, apparently he left when my Grandpa was 12, and then she met someone else (The man I call my Great-grandpa). I presume it's actually my bio great-grandfather's last name, but it's considered a "family mystery" so I imagine it's probably not that simple. Trust me, my last name is not in fashion, according to google my last name is actually either: 1. for a religious person or 2. a nickname last name for someone who was reclusive. Sadly when my Great-Grandma died, so did the story behind why my Grandpa has that last name. It's pretty hard to find out much about my family history because as well as having no leads on my last name, I also have no idea what my Great-Grandma's last name is, other than that it isn't my last name.

Hmm.. I did a bit more research though and apparently in the north-west of England (where my hometown is) there are between 663 - 1,324 people with that last name. Which is strange considering I've never met someone with that last name. Then again, when I was younger (high school) in a school play a random old couple turned up to watch the play (we gave out flyers door to door, they weren't just some creepers), and at the end I checked the guest register with the names 'C.[mylastname]' and 'D.[mylastname]'. Sometimes I wonder if I'm related to them, though I'm not close with my Dad's side of the family - so I've never asked my Grandpa if he knew of any half-siblings he had, or what his father looks like. (It's hard to tell how old the person was in comparison to my Grandpa, because I haven't seen him for years).

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Forum Resident
#49 Old 1st Dec 2014 at 9:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ~Shasta~
The other one, Ally

:o Well, apparently there is! Haha! Which town is that?
Page 2 of 5