Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Oct 2014 at 3:50 PM Last edited by Charity : 6th Nov 2014 at 12:50 PM.
Default Lot Corruption
Does anyone have a list of things that they know of or have done that corrupt lots and lots only?

I recently posted in the Stupid/Random Questions thread about a problem I had with cats not being able to watch the womrat. I thought I'd borked another testing neighbourhood, but then I found out that it was only that lot that had the problem and cats in other houses could harass their little hearts out lol.

So, I wondered ... There's a lot out there about what will corrupt your neighbourhood and even your whole game, but does anyone know what sort of things might corrupt a single lot and how or if they can be fixed or whether it's time to move the family out and bulldoze?

Responses for lots only:

Borked CC - delete cache files or find and eliminate the CC if problem persists
Changing lot zoning - can only bulldoze if it screws up or may be fixed by changing the lot zoning back to what it was originally
Invisible visitors - check with the batbox
Sneezing on the monitor - use a tissue lol
Bad saves - bulldoze or restore from a back up

Also, remember to save using the save button rather than the save before quitting option as sometimes things aren't saved properly if you use the save and quit option.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 27th Oct 2014 at 4:52 PM Last edited by marka93 : 27th Oct 2014 at 5:26 PM.
Most of the time its a bad save in the lot or CC that borked which can be fixed by deleting the cache files that will most of the time fix borked CC.

ADD: For me I have never had a lot go bad but I also only have about 163mb of CC where others have well over 1GB of CC. (90mb is my custom skins that I use.)

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Instructor
#3 Old 27th Oct 2014 at 5:50 PM
Changing the lot zoning can also bork a lot. I did this trying to change a residential lot to a community lot. Sometimes it works, sometimes it borks the lot. Haven't found out when what happens, though.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 27th Oct 2014 at 8:00 PM
Somehow I succeeded in corrupting my custom hood and I've not even really played much. Isaiah Gavigan had some adult wants (play guitar, want to dance with somebody, play bass?) - but that was just the tip - most of my Sims had no wants or fears at all, just empty spaces. I am quite sure I did not do anything of the "Don't do"-stuff - so I guess it has to be cc. Starting over - urtghhhhh. Sometimes I really feel like playing without any cc!!! Both the Batbox and Bo's 2 mods are in place - did not do a thing to prevent it. I have to assume that I probably downloaded something which I should not have downloaded, and I am really quite sad Thrown out all cc today - started to redownload stuff that I had for ages and presume are harmless. I'll take the tip about deleting the cache files, thank you @marka93
Mad Poster
#5 Old 27th Oct 2014 at 8:16 PM Last edited by gazania : 28th Oct 2014 at 6:42 PM.
I think that sneezing on the machine can do it. Seriously. Once in a very long while, a lot corrupts, even though I've played it for weeks with no problems, and I have no blooming idea why.

Actually, didn't I read somewhere that sometimes, invisible visitors (loiterers) can mess up a lot? Or am I experiencing brain fog again? I do know I've had a couple of lot crashes that somehow involved an invisible Sim. The batbox does do a pretty good job of taking care of that, but I find it helpful to check it each time during a play session on a lot, just to make sure there are no loiterers.

Much of the time, I've had to bulldoze, no matter what I've tried. Fortunately, lot corruption has happened very rarely in the eight years I've played. (My forte seems to be obscure methods of hood corruption and HH nonsense.)

I make sure to use my the crook of my arm when I sneeze, though, just in case.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 27th Oct 2014 at 8:23 PM
You don't have to start over, JustPetro! Do the 50/50 and find the one or two files causing it. Test your mods first - AndrewGloria had that exact same problem recently, and discovered it was a mod conflict.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#7 Old 27th Oct 2014 at 8:27 PM
I've found that's happened on one or two lots myself. CC is one of the best things to happen to Sims 2, but can also be one of the most frustrating. I've also had one or two instances when one particular piece of CC on the lot ... no problem. But when put in combo with another certain piece or a mod ... egads. Those are the worst, since it's harder to find the two or more culprits using 50/50. (In one case, it was a modded buy item and a mod. When I didn't put the modded item on the lot, everything ran smoothly. But if I put the modded item in the house, the lot crashed.)

Mad Poster
#8 Old 27th Oct 2014 at 8:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
You don't have to start over, JustPetro! Do the 50/50 and find the one or two files causing it. Test your mods first - AndrewGloria had that exact same problem recently, and discovered it was a mod conflict.

Thank you - I have a tiny number of mods, been there for a looooong time. I downloaded some pretty stuff from all over the internet the other day - having moved, and without internet for about 3 weeks, I was a bit like a child in a free sweets shop - so I am pretty sure the mods are okay? I don't mind starting over now, since I've not really played, just moved Sims into houses filled with all kinds of cc (Lesson learned )
Mad Poster
#9 Old 27th Oct 2014 at 8:35 PM
Whenever I try a new mod or modded item now, or if I use any CC that I'm unsure about, I do it in a junk hood. That way, if I have to ditch the hood, no problem.

And of course, back up your game before trying any new mod or modded item. I know many people back up before trying any new piece of CC.

Mad Poster
#10 Old 27th Oct 2014 at 9:18 PM
I mean you don't have to start over on the CC. And the only thing that can exonerate or condemn custom content, or mods, or combinations of mods, is testing.

Anything can corrupt. A hiccup during downloading can do it. My own classic is a blouse. A single blouse, from a reliable source, that other people have used without a problem. Something went wrong with it, and every time a sim wearing it was on the lot when a photobooth was used to take a picture, the lot crashed. This makes no sense. It didn't have to. One piece of custom content gone, never had that problem again.

It's faster, and safer, to test than to ditch your custom content and start over with it.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 27th Oct 2014 at 9:30 PM
I think for the most part cc if fine, but any file can become corrupted just like the elder male everyday wear that I had to pull last year or peni's blouse. That isn't because that download is bad, it's because the computer or the game had a hiccup and corrupted it, so really it's the game and not the cc that caused the issue. Most trouble with cc is not lot or game corrupting but simply things like overwriting GUIDS or clashes or an accidental default slipped in-which would be my fault not the files fault. It's as easily fixed as removing that one piece of content, no need to start over or swear off cc. I've played for 10 years with gobs of cc, for the most part up to and well over 10 Gigs and it all plays happily together and I have not found it to be lot corrupting.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Inventor
#12 Old 27th Oct 2014 at 9:43 PM
Paladin's Hack Conflict Detection Utility over at Simwardrobe - http://www.simwardrobe.com (it's under the Sims 2 tab then the Programs section), - is quite a good tool for detecting conflicts between mods. Also Delphy's download organiser and the Sims2Pack Clean Installer (both available here on MTS) are great tools for cleaning up your downloads folder.

I have 5GB of CC stuff! Spent most of yesterday evening organising and cleaning it out a bit.

As for what corrupts a lot, it honestly could be anything. I find my apartment lots sometimes go a bit strange although residential and community ones tend to run smoothly. And yes you could experience lot corruption if you convert a residential lot to community or vice versa.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 27th Oct 2014 at 9:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jodemilo
Paladin's Hack Conflict Detection Utility over at Simwardrobe - http://www.simwardrobe.com (it's under the Sims 2 tab then the Programs section), - is quite a good tool for detecting conflicts between mods. Also Delphy's download organiser and the Sims2Pack Clean Installer (both available here on MTS) are great tools for cleaning up your downloads folder.

I have 5GB of CC stuff! Spent most of yesterday evening organising and cleaning it out a bit.

As for what corrupts a lot, it honestly could be anything. I find my apartment lots sometimes go a bit strange although residential and community ones tend to run smoothly. And yes you could experience lot corruption if you convert a residential lot to community or vice versa.

Have that - used that - no conflicts, but I did not add any mods recently - just pretty stuff.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 27th Oct 2014 at 9:56 PM
I mean you don't have to start over on the CC. And the only thing that can exonerate or condemn custom content, or mods, or combinations of mods, is testing.

Anything can corrupt. A hiccup during downloading can do it. My own classic is a blouse. A single blouse, from a reliable source, that other people have used without a problem. Something went wrong with it, and every time a sim wearing it was on the lot when a photobooth was used to take a picture, the lot crashed. This makes no sense. It didn't have to. One piece of custom content gone, never had that problem again.

It's faster, and safer, to test than to ditch your custom content and start over with it.

I know you are right I just thought - well, I've stuffed so much cc into this hood, it might be easier just to build a new one than to replace everything once I start deleting 50/50 - I have not dumped everything, since I fortunately had some backups, so that made it a bit easier - yet I went to download some of the stuff that was (for an unknown reason) not amongst the backups. This is the first time I have a corrupted hood - I admit to having come close to a panic attack
Mad Poster
#15 Old 27th Oct 2014 at 10:02 PM
But you don't have to replace anything! The first step in the 50/50 is "back up your hoods." You do all the testing, delete the offending CC, delete the hood you tested in if you had to save without CC in for some reason, restore the backup, voila. All you have to fix are the handful of places you used the offending object - assuming it was an object with a physical representation, rather than something invisible like a mod.

This is only hard if you make it be hard.

Mad Poster
#16 Old 28th Oct 2014 at 12:42 AM
Yes!

See my help thread. I was sure my beloved Veronaville was terminally corrupted, and I had started trying to rebuild it from scratch the way gummilutt has been doing. My Sims were losing their wants slots. I started playing Pleasantview using Tarlia's clean templates, as a distraction, but when I got the same problem there, I realised it couldn't be corruption in Veronaville. I did a 50/50 on my hacks (on the basis that the bug was more likely to be there than in clothes or furniture) and found that syberspunk's Adults go Steady was causing my problem. It works perfectly well in other people's games, but for some reason, not in mine. There was nothing significant wrong with Veronaville and I'm still playing. So do a 50/50 with your CC as Peni suggests before you throw away a 'hood which may have nothing wrong with it!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#17 Old 28th Oct 2014 at 1:51 AM
My lot corruption thread seems to have been corrupted by some neighbourhood corruption sneaking in lol.

So for lots only:

Changing lot zoning - can only bulldoze if it screws up?

Anything else?
Scholar
#18 Old 28th Oct 2014 at 1:56 AM
I'm not sure if it's helpful, but dorms can get corrupted too... One of my SSU dorms got "condemned due to black mold" after it stopped loading entirely, causing poor David Ottomas and Erik Swain to have to move to a cramped little house. I had only played it once, so you can imagine the words I said... Luckily, it does seem rare -- I suspect I'd saved at just the wrong time, which I'm extra-careful about now.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#19 Old 28th Oct 2014 at 3:02 AM
Just in case anyone gets the can't watch womrat bug. Turning on testing cheats and clicking DEBUG - Make Aggro (while controlling the cat; it doesn't show up for human sims) seems to have fixed it. I guess that my cage just got glitched somehow.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 28th Oct 2014 at 8:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
Yes!

See my help thread. I was sure my beloved Veronaville was terminally corrupted, and I had started trying to rebuild it from scratch the way gummilutt has been doing. My Sims were losing their wants slots. I started playing Pleasantview using Tarlia's clean templates, as a distraction, but when I got the same problem there, I realised it couldn't be corruption in Veronaville. I did a 50/50 on my hacks (on the basis that the bug was more likely to be there than in clothes or furniture) and found that syberspunk's Adults go Steady was causing my problem. It works perfectly well in other people's games, but for some reason, not in mine. There was nothing significant wrong with Veronaville and I'm still playing. So do a 50/50 with your CC as Peni suggests before you throw away a 'hood which may have nothing wrong with it!

Thank you - just read your thread - I have the romance mod myself, (and like it) - but I have no conflicts and not too many other mods, most of which I had used for quite a long time. Different than your wants/ fears - All my Sims had none, except for Isaiah Gavigan, who had some adult wants. Rerolling them gave them all fortune wants (want to buy this/that) - but it vanished about as soon as it appeared. As I said, I haven't really played much, have moved all the Sims into houses - but not really played yet. So that's why I don't mind starting over - if the hood was more established, I would not have
Mad Poster
#21 Old 28th Oct 2014 at 8:18 AM
But you don't have to replace anything! The first step in the 50/50 is "back up your hoods." You do all the testing, delete the offending CC, delete the hood you tested in if you had to save without CC in for some reason, restore the backup, voila. All you have to fix are the handful of places you used the offending object - assuming it was an object with a physical representation, rather than something invisible like a mod.

This is only hard if you make it be hard.

I do agree with you - it is just that this particular new custom hood was not established yet - I moved in all the bin Sims as well as my 2 custom families, but the wants and fears thing started immediately when I wanted to play - not a single Sim had proper wants/fears - and I had put a ridiculous amount of cc in all the lots - so I just thought that, with this particular hood, starting over is perhaps the easier option
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#22 Old 28th Oct 2014 at 9:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
I do agree with you - it is just that this particular new custom hood was not established yet - I moved in all the bin Sims as well as my 2 custom families, but the wants and fears thing started immediately when I wanted to play - not a single Sim had proper wants/fears - and I had put a ridiculous amount of cc in all the lots - so I just thought that, with this particular hood, starting over is perhaps the easier option

I'd do the 50/50 before you start over simply because it's unlikely for a hood to get corrupted so soon if you've only just started it and adding to that the fact that you just downloaded a lot of CC and it definitely looks like a CC problem, which will only transfer itself over to a new neighbourhood if you don't find the offending piece.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 28th Oct 2014 at 11:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
I'd do the 50/50 before you start over simply because it's unlikely for a hood to get corrupted so soon if you've only just started it and adding to that the fact that you just downloaded a lot of CC and it definitely looks like a CC problem, which will only transfer itself over to a new neighbourhood if you don't find the offending piece.

That's why I basically removed all the cc - I will start adding them back bit by bit, starting with the trusted ones. I agree with the 50/50 method - but I really dumped a LOT of cc into all the lots I'd have no idea which of the latest downloaded ones I'd have to take out first - learned a valuable lesson here, though - don't dump all your new cc into your downloads folder at once
Mad Poster
#24 Old 28th Oct 2014 at 1:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
- learned a valuable lesson here, though - don't dump all your new cc into your downloads folder at once

Making a subfolder named NEW and then dump all your new CC in there would be better.
At least, you know where to look instantly, if something goes wrong. 50/50 for just one folder.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Instructor
#25 Old 28th Oct 2014 at 5:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
My lot corruption thread seems to have been corrupted by some neighbourhood corruption sneaking in lol.

So for lots only:

Changing lot zoning - can only bulldoze if it screws up?

Anything else?

Sometimes you can save a lot that gets borked by changing the lot zoning by changing the lot zoning back to the original. Like, if I changed a residential lot to a community lot, and it gets borked, sometimes I can save it by turning it back into a residential lot. But, then again, I wanted it to be a community lot, so I probably end up bulldozing it anyway and re-building the lot as a community lot.

I actually got this problem now in my ToT neighborhood, where my sims first lived on a large park-like lot, which was residential. Now they've moved on and split up and I wanted to change it into a community lot where they could gather. During the transition, it got borked pretty badly. So, the only thing to do is to take a couple of pictures, bulldoze the thing, and re-build it as a community lot from the start. That should hopefully take care of the borking. If it doesn't, it's a specific piece of CC I have on the lot that's the likely perpetrator and I'll back up the lot by placing it in the house bin before I put any CC on the lot. I have noticed that lot borking is more likely when changing the zoning if there's CC present, especially interactive CC (not merely decorative).
Page 1 of 2