Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#51 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 1:30 AM
Dog beds without a mod to give them more energy will leave your toddler constantly tired and so not willing to skill. While they are cute they are not at all practical. You can also get a mod so the potty does not need emptying, this is one I haven't bothered with since I like to compost the potty contents, but I know a lot of people like that mod.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#52 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 1:36 AM
Teaching skills, reading to, caring for and other social interactions serve a very good purpose. These raise the relationship level between an infant or toddler and older Sims in the household.
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 2:13 AM
I have a mod that makes sims more likely to wet the bed if they aren't potty trained as toddlers. It gives it a consequence to not doing it. If a sim doesn't learn to talk as a toddler, they cannot increase their Charisma skill beyond 4 (skill limiter) as adults. Sims that aren't taught to walk as toddlers can a limit on their athletic skill, which (unlike talking) is a random roll of a d10 to see how much it affected that individual. So, if you see teaching toddlers as 'pointless', you could always try something like that.

They should use The Sims 2 in psychology....it could work wonders.
Theorist
#54 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 2:51 AM
If you have the batbox in your game, you can skip the hassle of preparing smart milk by using the option 'Make me', then choose 'smart'. It works for toddler to elder, no sparkling and lasts for some time. Helps getting the toddler skills faster if used on both toddler and trainer. Toddlers can also be taught on community lots if you have the taxi mod for toddlers to go there, although my sims just walk to community lots, toddlers need to be taught to walk first. (:

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Mad Poster
#55 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 4:31 AM
I have a mod that only lets toddlers play with the toilet if they're in low aspiration (which is apparently how it was originally supposed to be). http://www.simbology.com/smf/index.php?topic=10.0
Mad Poster
#56 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 5:14 AM
The advantages of teaching toddler skils are as follows:
Pottytraining - Toddlers not only can and will go to the potty autonomously, they can use it when it's got stuff in it. You can stop emptying them except at convenient times. Also, potty-training faces.
Walking - In an unmodded game, toddlers who can walk can get out of the crib. (That doesn' t mean they will.) Also, toddler walking is a cute animation; as are the actual learning to walk animations.
Talking - Toddlers can hold two-way conversations with adults and children, rather than just making demands and being talked to.
Nursery Rhyme - Toddlers gain charisma as they learn the nursery rhyme. It is the only skill children can teach them and the animation of a child teaching a toddler the nursery rhyme is way too freaking adorable. Once they learn the rhyme, they will roll wants to sing it with older sims; and will also sit quietly singing it to themselves which is, again, cute as heck and keeps them out of trouble.

Learning/teaching the skills are high-point wants that will send a sim from near aspiration failure to platinum. Toddlers and sims with high aspirations are easier to manage and will make the entire toddler experience much less stressful. There is no need to teach all the skills to get this effect, as toddlers (unless you're filling their fears) don't have very rapid aspiration decay. I lock pottytraining, and if another want rolls after that one's learned I'll pick one and lock it. Some toddlers get them all; some just get pottytrained, and roll enough skilling wants to get them through the rest of toddlerhood.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#57 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 6:14 AM
I'm going to be the absolute heathen here and say, if you don't want to bother with all the hassles of toddler training, don't. Cheat your way through it, and they'll be in platinum aspiration by doing so, both parents and children will have good memories, and you will have avoided things that most humans do not like doing in real life.

That is, unless you enjoy doing it. I've never understood the idea, (and no, I never had children, either-so that's why..) and I don't see why it would really make such a difference in game play if you don't do all the correct things in toddler hood that the game has to offer. It lasts 3 or 4 days (although some really do like the stage and extend it for more than a few days..) and it's only really a blip in a pixels' life.

Although I do confess that I do enjoy the nursery rhymes singalong, and the 'peek a boo' animations. They are cute-even the hardest-hearted heathen like me smiles at them.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Undead Molten Llama
#58 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 6:35 AM
I guess I'm a "heathen," too. I don't really care about the toddler skills. Mine all get potty-trained because of the schedule I keep toddlers on. I don't use SmartMilk because I don't use any of the aspiration rewards, although if a Sim rolls as being a genius, I'll use the Batbox to apply the "stuck SmartMilk" effect to them for life. Barring that, non-genius toddlers usually end up potty-trained on the day before they age up. I'll teach the others if someone rolls a want to teach a toddler something or if an older household member happens to have gobs of time on their hands (which doesn't happen often), but otherwise I'd rather have toddlers play with their toys or play with other Sims (like peek-a-boo) or interact with their siblings (especially if any of the others are also toddlers; huggling is adorable) and family pets or be read to. To me, the game should be enjoyable, so you ought to do what you think is fun, not necessarily what the game encourages you to do.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#59 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 9:20 AM
Have fun with the toddlers. They are cute and they will walk and talk just fine without any training. Toilet training is the only really important one. Just try and fit it in between things that the mom and dad normally do. Peek-a-boo raises everybody's fun.
While nursery rhymes are cute and charisma can be gained, the rabbit also teach charisma.
I did get that bottomless bottle from Boiling Oil - since my game seems to love twins.
It is not that hard, just don't freak out if the toddler looks a little unhappy. And look after the mom and dad's wants too, they take care of kids better if they are not depressed.
Cheating is not a sin. And a life saver when there are both toddler twins and baby twins in a household
Mad Poster
#60 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 1:13 PM
My Sim pets would like to point out that the pet food bowl is not an acceptable substitute for things like the bottomless bottle. :P
Field Researcher
#61 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 6:10 PM
My strategy is similar to others who have already written their opinion, but a bit more involved.

First order of business is determining if would-be parents would like to have children. If they're happy childless and aren't rolling wants for them on a continual basis I'm not going to mess with that. If the parent(s) want children but don't (or can't) take the time for them, they'll pick up the phone on a Friday or Saturday and adopt a child that gets dropped off at 10 AM the next morning, or will have a child delivered to them via the cat teleporter that gets fully added to the household and adopted.

For those who want their own children (or are the irresponsible type), they'll have them. As said previously, cribs aren't necessary for babies they'll sleep just fine on the floor. And I will either use a birthday cake or testingcheats to age them up to a toddler as soon as the popup appears stating that can be done. The last is optional, I use it to simply speed up the process.

Now, in my opinion, comes the important part and I pause the game to check on some things. Most toddlers will roll the three toddler skills (getting potty trained, learn to talk, learn to walk) immediately. I make sure to lock their want to be potty trained. I also check the wants of all the adults in the household as they'll sometimes want to teach said child one of said skills, if it's potty training I make sure to lock it as well (and I know who's on that duty). If it's one of the other skills I may lock it if they don't have a higher value want. If there's a toddler with orange or red bladder, they will be taken to the toddler toilet immediately. Even without smart milk, it saves valuable time later on. I also get whoever has platinum or gold aspiration to make smart milk for said toddler, who will drink it at the earliest convenience. Time to unpause!

While the child is a toddler, their needs are the top household priority as the toddler skills have very high values associated with them. I also use the Atavera mat that can be found on this site so the toddlers can put themselves to sleep. I try to fill these as soon as possible and also try to make sure the toddler grows up with platinum aspiration level. If they learn all three skills and are in platinum status when the 'junior will grow up in one day at 6 PM' box appears, I select "grow up" and regular gameplay can continue.
Alchemist
#62 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 9:51 PM
Nursery Rhyme; it is not in the base game. which pack added it?
Field Researcher
#63 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 9:55 PM
Freetime I believe.
Mad Poster
#64 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 10:04 PM
Freetime, which is also necessary to have the activity table - which is especially useful for families with children and toddlers at the same time, as it allows them to build their relationship and fun points along with creativity and mechanical. Plus you get scribbly drawings to hang up proudly on the walls with thumbtacks!

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#65 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 10:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jaytee95
I also get whoever has platinum or gold aspiration to make smart milk for said toddler, who will drink it at the earliest convenience. Time to unpause!

If you give the parents a date right before growing the baby up, both will be in platinum mood as well as having all needs boosted from the dream date.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#66 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 11:31 PM
You can also choose the "right" parent to train them - they'll usually get the wishes to train toddlers just after the toddler grows up, and this usually fills their bar quite nicely so it's filled up for the next training session. Other things like wishes for learning skills will also fill the bar up. Just remeber to lock the wishes. A date often takes a lot of game time.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#67 Old 20th Jul 2016 at 1:48 AM
Married sims don't normally take that long, a few low levels then they roll make out and whoohoo, I often end the clock with a good 5 minutes still on it.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#68 Old 20th Jul 2016 at 4:14 PM
I tend not to cheat with my toddlers (unless i have more than 4 on a lot lol).

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this hack but the one that lets the toddlers sleep through the night in their crib. I figure after a year old children typically sleep through anyway, so why should my sims wake up 2+times a night for their toddler? Plus I can then put them to bed at a reasonable time and still have time to get their parents needs up before their energy is drained as well.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#69 Old 20th Jul 2016 at 11:00 PM
I would rather the toddlers put themselves to bed and get up so I use a toddler bed or a sleep mat, that way they bother no one.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#70 Old 20th Jul 2016 at 11:52 PM
The only thing I cheat with is the potty-training; I turn off motivedecay and set their bladder to half so they just keep peeing infinitely.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#71 Old 21st Jul 2016 at 12:16 AM
Toddlers have to be put to bed once or twice during the night only - that is not that hard on the parents if they take turns. Getting up once during a night don't kill them
Test Subject
#72 Old 15th Jan 2017 at 7:25 PM
Not sure if it was written but the best way to train toddlers is like this:

Teach to walk as soon as possible, but be careful with bladder. Teaching to walk requires space and sims might stop teaching if not enough space. Take the toddlers to potty before sleep and as soon as their bladder is nearly full red, a little bit left. Then go for nursery rhyme - it doesn't add anything, but toddlers get the want of sing nursery rhyme worth 500 points, which is a lot for toddler. Leave talking for last - you can even teach them after 18:00, the toddlers won't stop until they learn or the adults are not happy enough. Teaching to talk might give your toddlers the last push towards platinum when they're about to grow up.
Mad Poster
#73 Old 15th Jan 2017 at 7:36 PM
You train toddlers the way you like, but that's not the best way for everyone in every household, and the nursery rhyme does indeed add something - the kid gains charisma, and will also subsequently be able to amuse himself singing it, or bond with elders singing it along with them, gaining music enthusiasm (though that's hardly necessary; my sims gain music enthusiasm from breathing).

Not only different players, but different households, have different optimum toddler strategies. This game rewards flexibility.

Field Researcher
#74 Old 15th Jan 2017 at 8:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
Cheating is not a sin. And a life saver when there are both toddler twins and baby twins in a household

In old custom hood I had a couple who had two sets of twins in quickest succession possible. Then the wife died.
I have no idea, how they would survive without cheats. Actually, I'm not sure how they survived with them.
Forum Resident
#75 Old 16th Jan 2017 at 12:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by deadhead_kay
I tend not to cheat with my toddlers (unless i have more than 4 on a lot lol).

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this hack but the one that lets the toddlers sleep through the night in their crib. I figure after a year old children typically sleep through anyway, so why should my sims wake up 2+times a night for their toddler? Plus I can then put them to bed at a reasonable time and still have time to get their parents needs up before their energy is drained as well.

That hack was a life saver for me. I was sick of my toddlers waking up so early! And I do have toddler beds and a special blanket that my toddlers can nap on when they get sleepy.

For my physical health, I can't eat cheesecake everyday.
For my mental health, I imagine eating cheesecake everyday.
It's a delicate balance.
Page 3 of 4