Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Dec 2014 at 5:29 PM Last edited by Alpal425 : 18th Dec 2014 at 11:37 PM.
Default Maxis-Match vs Pookleted
Are you a Pookleted fan or a Maxis-Match fan?

Feel free to jabber here about which is better, prettier, or horrid. Anything and everything about hair types can go here. Feel free to state your opinion about both sides of this very small war...

Favorite Creators for [TYPE OF] Hair
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 17th Dec 2014 at 5:41 PM Last edited by gummilutt : 17th Dec 2014 at 5:53 PM.
Pooklet aaaaall the way. The textures tend to be much more realistic, and detailed. Some people might not like the shiny, but I do. It does however depend on who does it, as they aren't always quite the same, but in general I love it.

I blame depth charge. It's the shade of color I plan to dye my hair at some point, and seeing it in lots of fancy hair styles I wish my hair would do, is great. I have stupidly glossy hair that refuses to do anything but hang straight down.

I do think maxis match can be great, if it's just the color but with a "proper" texture, like the ones posted by xmathyx here at MTS.
Theorist
#3 Old 17th Dec 2014 at 5:51 PM
Maxis-Match fan here - in Remi textures to be specific.

I have nothing against Pooklet textures - it's just not my preference.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Mad Poster
#4 Old 17th Dec 2014 at 5:55 PM
Maxis-Match all the way! I just prefer Maxis Stuff. I like the cartoon-like look and feel of the the stuff, and so of course I would want to have MM CC. I'm not quite sure I know much about this Pooklet part, but, I think I'm just gonna stick with MM. Plus, I sometimes like to have matching stuff.

And if you ask me, in terms of texture quality, I prefer Maxis/MM stuff.
Alchemist
#5 Old 17th Dec 2014 at 6:10 PM
Pooklet. I like shiny things. Simple as that.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 17th Dec 2014 at 6:19 PM
Maxis-Match with a variety of textures: Remi, Liiith's, and Poppet's MM....my fave. I have tried Pooklet in my game--and always pull the hair right back out. Just doesn't fit in with my game ---my skins and eyes are MM so maybe the Pooklet hair against both these features just doesn't work for me. Pooklet textures are beautiful just not my cup of tea.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 17th Dec 2014 at 6:20 PM
Maxis match for me, I think it really depends on which skin you use, I use a cartoony skin, so pookleted looks weird and out of place in my sims, the shiny freaks me out D:

But I've seen some realistic sims pictures and it looks fine on them.
Maybe maxis match looks weird on realistic skins as well?
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 17th Dec 2014 at 6:22 PM
I'm pretty sure I have a mix of both. I like both...more hairs=yay lol

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#9 Old 17th Dec 2014 at 6:29 PM
I like Maxis Match hair, and in my current game I only use Simgaroop'd hairs (along with Maxis ones). I play a very cartoony game, so Pooklet hairs don't look right with the Maxis Match skins that I use. I don't like my sims to look too realistic, so I opt for MM all the way :-)
Mad Poster
#10 Old 17th Dec 2014 at 6:30 PM
Pooklet
If I could, maybe I am just lazy, I would get rid of all hair recolor I have that aren't Pooklet. I love when Maxis hair do have Pooklet recolors, or are made default using Pooh. (I was just tired of typing that same name)
I like all sims to look like they are all from the same Sim Planet. So Pooklet as mush as I can

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 17th Dec 2014 at 8:08 PM
What is Pooklet? i don't know whats pooklet means

I am truly a Sim Fan
Not a Warcraft or a Civilization,
I am truly a Sim Fan

ttp://www.missingstudios.com/ms/signaturegenerator/finished/mysig_801995495.jpg
Mad Poster
#12 Old 17th Dec 2014 at 8:13 PM
Pooklet is a creator that created four sets of hair families with a different red, blonde, brown and black in each one. To recolor a hair using those colors is referred to as pookleting the hair. Almighty Hat has a picture of all the colors on her dreamwidth: http://hat-plays-sims.dreamwidth.org/tag/hair:+dump
Mad Poster
#13 Old 17th Dec 2014 at 8:23 PM
It depends what I'm going for. In my previous game I went for maxis-match stuff, but in my current game I'm going for a mixture of maxis-match and semi-realistic. I use realistic hair such as Pooklet, but with maxis-match style clothing and objects. When it comes to Maxis-match, I usually use normal maxis-skin but with maxis-match hairstyles, because to me maxis-match skin often looks too Sims 3ish, and I'm not a fan of that.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
#14 Old 17th Dec 2014 at 8:48 PM
Oh yes, Remi stuff is my absolute favourite. I like it even better than maxis match. Maxis textures are OK on some of the hairs but look thick and pixelated on others. Remi's textures look soft and lovely to touch, they're cartoony/saturated enough to fit in with maxis, the shine isn't odd (I think I don't like shine because firstly it makes all of your sims look like they're in a shampoo commercial, and secondly because it is painted on, it doesn't react to light so it looks unnatural.) and I just like the look of them in general.

I also prefer everyday type hairstyles I could imagine seeing on real people rather than shampoo-commercial-flowing ones.

However, I do love pooklet's unnatural hair colours and other neon type content like the rainbow skins

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Field Researcher
#15 Old 17th Dec 2014 at 9:02 PM
Maxis Match all the way for me. I had a semi-realistic game on my netbook, but since my game looks great as the default on this, I go for the more cartoony look. With my photo editing, my game looks like a vibrant dream.

My simblr
In the name of the Moon, i will right wrongs and triumph over evil, and that means YOU! ❤️
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#16 Old 17th Dec 2014 at 9:09 PM
my preference is for neither, ideally I like something in between. I hate straw hair and particularly yellow straw hair but at the same time I don't want a shampoo commercial either. For the most part I go with Pooklet because that is what most hairs are. Occasionally I will find someones textures that are less shiny. But it's hard to get and I can't find enough like that.
I probably have a few Remi, a few done to a less shiny pooklet, a few which are some kind of combo or someones own textures but they are not well known enough to have a name and some straight up Pooklet. I like everything Maxis Match, except for hair.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#17 Old 17th Dec 2014 at 9:15 PM
Both. I only like certain colors of Pooklet (Depth Charge, Incendiary, Explosive, Flash Powder and Time Bomb) and will download hairs in those colors. If the hairs are not in those colors then I don't like them. I also have a lot of Maxis Match, so my game is a combination of the two.
Undead Molten Llama
#18 Old 17th Dec 2014 at 11:25 PM
I use Pookleted hairs in my game, mostly because I prefer realistic eyes (The Maxis eyes freak me out. Don't ask me why; they just do.) and maxis-match hair looks...off...in combination with realistic eyes. (Not so much off with skins, though. I can make skins look less "Maxis-cartoony" with the judicious use or makeup to add more realistic imperfections and such. But there's nothing you can do to make Maxis-match hair "go with" realistic eyes. At least, not in my opinion.) Also, I do not like Maxis's blond(e) and red colors nor the stringy textures and the flat lack of highlights/lowlights. I think they look awful. However, sometimes the Pooklet textures are indeed too shiny, to the point of looking sort of plastic. Or maybe nylon, like Barbie-doll hair. Which is also annoying. So, if I could have something in-between, that would be my ideal. But since that doesn't appear to exist, I go with Pooklet. Basically, I like semi-realistic genetics -- eyes, skins, hair -- but a more maxis-match overall neighborhood environment. All because the Maxis eyes freak me out.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#19 Old 18th Dec 2014 at 12:21 AM
Maxis Eyes freak me out too, but so do realistic. I go for what I consider to be Maxis match eyes although others may call them semi realistic. Nice eyes just no pink corners thanks. It's a shame in between hair is so scarce.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#20 Old 18th Dec 2014 at 12:41 AM
I am another in-between person. I don't mind the Maxis hair colors, and most of my skins are by Alfred Askew. Those are based on Maxis, but they are just that much more detailed and come in more colors. The hairs I have downloaded come in a range of colors, though I usually cut out at least half of any set because there are always too many. The Pooklet and Trapping blondes bore me somewhat, because they are so very pale and beige looking.
Undead Molten Llama
#21 Old 18th Dec 2014 at 12:45 AM
@Jo: See, I'm just the opposite. I've gotta have the caruncle (The pink thing in the corner), or the eyes will freak me out. I don't know why, but it just seems wrong if it's not there. Kind of like "Ken doll" male anatomy, to which I have the same reaction. I guess my brain just has expectations of certain things being there, and when they aren't, it goes "Ew!" I also sometimes like veins showing in the sclera, too. I do have some eyes that don't have the caruncle, but for those I have a mask that adds it, and one that adds veins, too. So...Yeah, diff'rent strokes and all that.

But yeah, I think there needs to be a set of hair textures out there that are sort of a MM/Pooklet hybrid. Like, not-so-shiny as Pooklet but not as stringy/straw-y/flat as Maxis and maxis-match. That would be my ideal. Unfortunately, I suck at hair. :p

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#22 Old 18th Dec 2014 at 1:36 AM
My poor guys are all ken dolls that doesn't bother me but they do have a better shape in their underwear thanks to fanseelamb and some decent body hair. Smooth chests just seem wrong. ladies I only need nipples for because it also weirds me out to have boobs with no nipples, what are they using to breast feed with otherwise?

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#23 Old 18th Dec 2014 at 1:58 AM
Why is this a war? Noone cares which one you prefer.

And I like both.
Link Ninja
#24 Old 18th Dec 2014 at 2:01 AM
Color me in the Pooklet category. I love the variance in the colors and the depth in the textures. I just realized, thanks to jo's comment above, that none of my male sims have body hair.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Mad Poster
#25 Old 18th Dec 2014 at 4:37 AM Last edited by gazania : 19th Dec 2014 at 6:25 PM.
I use a mix of hair with different textures. Let's face it ... some of us have shiny, silky hair and some of us ... .don't.

Much of the Maxis hair ... pure Maxis, NOT Maxis-match ... looks greasy to me by today's standards. Graphics were quite different 10 years ago! I confess to doing a lot of default-replacements because of that.

I do not like Maxis eyes. At all. But I do have to be careful with some CC eyes. For some reason, particularly years ago (Thankfully, I don't see as much of it now), a few of the CC eyes actually made the poor Sim look jaundiced. And some of the eyes today are a little TOO shiny.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Page 1 of 3