Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Dec 2014 at 4:37 PM
Default Sims 2 crashing non stop
hi , i've been playing sims 2 from 2008 till 2014 . Anyways , on the 18th (this month) i opened sims 2 and it started crashing out of nowhere , i wasnt really worried or anything so i just restarted the game and it still crashed . i went up to loading family and it crashed out of nowhere it said like ''The application will now terminate'' or something like that . I've never ever had this problem before and i have alot of cc in my game , but the day before it started crashing it was lagging so badly it started freezing for like 5 mins and unfroze for 2 seconds and froze again . I left my sims alone for a day or 2 and when i went back on it ALL MY CC,SIMS I MADE,LOTS I MADE,SETTINGS (camera settings ect.) ARE GONE (settings just went back to the maxis settings) . i was shocked , and then it crashed . I got super pissed and its still like this until now . I'm windows 7 , 64Bit , Toshiba laptop , and my ram thingy is 4.00 GB (3.80) usable . I've had this laptop since 2012 i think ? btw , my cc doesnt show up in the game but it does in bodyshop . Does ANYONE know how to fix this? I need my sims badly .
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 22nd Dec 2014 at 4:44 PM
I can't help you, but next time you should post on the Help forum.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Dec 2014 at 4:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gardeviola
I can't help you, but next time you should post on the Help forum.

well im kinda new to making forums on mts , ty for telling me .
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 22nd Dec 2014 at 6:50 PM
Yes, this really belongs in the help section. But, FWIW, have you tried removing all your CC and then loading the game?

You lied to meā€¦There is a Swansea!
Test Subject
#5 Old 22nd Dec 2014 at 7:31 PM
I have had a hood up and disappear on me once. Unless you have a backup of your game that hood is toast. You could download Sim Retriever to see if you can at least recover enough info to extract your Sims to be placed in another hood. As for your CC and mods unless your have backups, you will have to start downloading all over again. But I would try the Help section there is always a slim chance your hood can be retrieved.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 22nd Dec 2014 at 8:59 PM
You need to make a backup, remove your cc, try and load your test hood and test family. if you don't have a test hood and test family make one. 8 times out of 10 crashing is due to corrupted cc and the first step is seeing if is indeed cc by removing it and testing. If it is than you need to find it either by removing your latest downloads or doing the 50/50 method. If it's not your cc than other things can be looked at, but it's probably your cc.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#7 Old 22nd Dec 2014 at 9:25 PM
I'd say you have a cc problem - use the 50?50 method as Jo says above; start taking out the stuff you added most recently. It can be anything from a mod to a clothing mesh and is not always where you'd expect it to be. (My game crashed recently because of a clothing mesh but I blamed a very innocent kitchen counter because I added the counter after a couple of new clothing items. However, when I removed the clothes the game stopped crashing). Good luck with that.
Instructor
#8 Old 22nd Dec 2014 at 9:54 PM Last edited by TotallySimsCrazy : 22nd Dec 2014 at 10:58 PM.
I'm about to have a ramble, so follow some more advice above first!

As Jo said. Looks like a CC problem. Using the 50/50 option is the best one. Of course, have you tried other neighbourhoods? (If it doesn't happen in others, neighbourhood corruption)

I'd do that first before any of the things I would say. If 50/50 option works, keep going and find that item (For me once, i downloaded a mod twice, easy as that)

If 50/50 does not work, I'd try the following:

- Delete Cache files in your Sims 2 folder located in your documents (accessory.cache, groups.cache) They may become corrupt and cause your game to crash. It may not be the cause though so...
- Move your folder to a place you can find it (Usually the desktop for me) and launch the game again to see if it still crashes. If so, it would have to be the actual game files and a last resort would have to be, re-install the game from scratch, but i doubt it'll go that far. It does sound like CC in which the first option should work. Word of warning if it does: Make sure game files are backed up as EA will delete it when uninstalled!

Hope you get your game working, and if you don't, people here will always be willing to see the trouble!

Rambled too much now, I'm going to get a disagree!

Edit: To check neighbourhood corruption and save time, check out Mootilda's 'hood checker

Formally known as TotallySimsCrazy. Still addicted to custom content.
Simblr
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 23rd Dec 2014 at 12:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
You need to make a backup, remove your cc, try and load your test hood and test family. if you don't have a test hood and test family make one. 8 times out of 10 crashing is due to corrupted cc and the first step is seeing if is indeed cc by removing it and testing. If it is than you need to find it either by removing your latest downloads or doing the 50/50 method. If it's not your cc than other things can be looked at, but it's probably your cc.

i deleted everything i downloaded that day . well , not everything , while i was deleting i couldnt delete some stuff but it said i already deleted it/it doesnt belong to the folder . i downloaded a mesh from thehontry1 , but it wasnt from her website it was from someone else's and i downloaded a lot , so i think it might be that , but idk how to delete lots .
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 23rd Dec 2014 at 12:35 PM
It's unlikely to be the lot unless you were loading that lot. You delete lots in game using the bin/trash can next to the lot bin. Did the lot come with cc? Also you need to remove all of your cc to test if it is a cc problem. Any file can become corrupted.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 23rd Dec 2014 at 1:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TotallySimsCrazy
I'm about to have a ramble, so follow some more advice above first!

As Jo said. Looks like a CC problem. Using the 50/50 option is the best one. Of course, have you tried other neighbourhoods? (If it doesn't happen in others, neighbourhood corruption)

I'd do that first before any of the things I would say. If 50/50 option works, keep going and find that item (For me once, i downloaded a mod twice, easy as that)

If 50/50 does not work, I'd try the following:

- Delete Cache files in your Sims 2 folder located in your documents (accessory.cache, groups.cache) They may become corrupt and cause your game to crash. It may not be the cause though so...
- Move your folder to a place you can find it (Usually the desktop for me) and launch the game again to see if it still crashes. If so, it would have to be the actual game files and a last resort would have to be, re-install the game from scratch, but i doubt it'll go that far. It does sound like CC in which the first option should work. Word of warning if it does: Make sure game files are backed up as EA will delete it when uninstalled!

Hope you get your game working, and if you don't, people here will always be willing to see the trouble!

Rambled too much now, I'm going to get a disagree!

Edit: To check neighbourhood corruption and save time, check out Mootilda's 'hood checker

Thanks for the help all of ye . im deleting stuff i downloaded on the day it started crashing , it takes a while but its worth it . hope it works .
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 23rd Dec 2014 at 2:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
It's unlikely to be the lot unless you were loading that lot. You delete lots in game using the bin/trash can next to the lot bin. Did the lot come with cc? Also you need to remove all of your cc to test if it is a cc problem. Any file can become corrupted.

well , i deleted all the cc i downloaded that day . and yes the lot did come with cc . But whenever i go into the game , there's no cc there even tho i have cc in the sims 2 downloads folder . When i deleted the stuff , i went on and it still crashed . Will it be ok to put the cc onto a cd (not sims) instead of deleting it?
Mad Poster
#13 Old 23rd Dec 2014 at 2:53 PM
Deleting CC means either delete it or remove it from your game, if you want to keep it then by all means keep it on your desktop or put it on a CD your choice.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Inventor
#14 Old 23rd Dec 2014 at 3:02 PM
Or on an extern memory device. But are you sure the CC you want to keep doesn't have a file in it that is causing all this commotion? I first would want to find out the CC I want to store somewhere else isn't borking anything.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 23rd Dec 2014 at 3:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
I'd say you have a cc problem - use the 50?50 method as Jo says above; start taking out the stuff you added most recently. It can be anything from a mod to a clothing mesh and is not always where you'd expect it to be. (My game crashed recently because of a clothing mesh but I blamed a very innocent kitchen counter because I added the counter after a couple of new clothing items. However, when I removed the clothes the game stopped crashing). Good luck with that.

well , awhile ago i tried what most people said , drag the downloads folder to ur desktop and see what happens in the game . I did that and its still crashing . idk if i should give up or still try . i've been trying to fix this for atleast 5 days now .
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 23rd Dec 2014 at 4:03 PM
anyone else? im trying to fix this all the time , no luck.
Inventor
#17 Old 23rd Dec 2014 at 4:28 PM
I responded in the other thread you posted 'what's happening in your game right now'
Won't solve the issues for this hood, but at least you could play again, which I figure you would want after five days of frustration.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 23rd Dec 2014 at 4:31 PM
You need to run through the "Game Help FAQ", if you click on Help ^^ up there on the blue bar at the top and then click "Sims 2" it will come up with the page of instructions. That will, I'm 99% sure, solve your issue.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 23rd Dec 2014 at 4:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
You need to run through the "Game Help FAQ", if you click on Help ^^ up there on the blue bar at the top and then click "Sims 2" it will come up with the page of instructions. That will, I'm 99% sure, solve your issue.

i tried some of them , but not all and none worked .
Inventor
#20 Old 23rd Dec 2014 at 4:46 PM
It is required to do all. If you want to solve it, because now you just haven't found the one that will work, because you haven't tried all. Once you have done all and it still does not solve anything, then you honoustly can say you tried all but couldn't save this hood.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 23rd Dec 2014 at 6:15 PM
You have to do all of them, unfortunately - and check your computer for hardware issues too.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#22 Old 23rd Dec 2014 at 9:06 PM
Did you also check your Saved Sims folder for cc? Did you place content in the Scriptorium, or any other place such as a lighting or camera mod?

~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#23 Old 23rd Dec 2014 at 9:24 PM
As Jo said above, again I agree. Saved Sims folder may have some in and Scriptorium. Take a deep breath, and carry on.

If downloads are not working, try now the other options I suggested above and see what happens. If none of these work and it comes to reinstalling, I apologize and hope it doesn't get that far! The Game FAQ too, try that before going into drastic reinstalling. First thing i would do is move the entirety of the folder to your desktop for testing.

Good luck, and if that made ABSOLUTELY no sense, just say. I ramble a lot :O

Formally known as TotallySimsCrazy. Still addicted to custom content.
Simblr
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#24 Old 23rd Dec 2014 at 9:51 PM
Reinstalling should always be the last step. Imagine reinstalling to find you have simply ported your problem over.
Also have you updated anything recently, like your anti virus, Windows, your graphic drivers?

Did you make selectable any universal character such as Crumplebutt, Therapist, Grim? Doing that will fry your game unless your object folder is read only and even then I would stay well away from things like that.

~Call me Jo~
Undead Molten Llama
#25 Old 23rd Dec 2014 at 11:09 PM
If doing a 50/50 (The right way!) of your Downloads folder doesn't solve the problem, then it's something else that's causing your issue. Finding it can be a pain in the butt and is time-consuming, but it can be done. I had to do it once.

So AFTER DOING A 50/50 OF YOUR DOWNLOADS FOLDER THE RIGHT WAY AND YOUR GAME STILL CRASHES...remove your entire "The Sims 2" folder that's in your My Documents/EA Games folder. Don't delete it. Just move it somewhere else, to your desktop or an external hard drive or wherever. Then load the game; this will generate an all-new, fresh "The Sims 2" folder in your Documents/EA Games folder. If you can then load up any of the pre-made neighborhoods, then you know your game installation files (The ones located in "Program Files" on your hard drive) are all functioning fine (i.e. no need to reinstall) and that the problem lies in one of the folders in your original "The Sims 2" folder. If your game still crashes, then there is something wrong with your install files and you'll need to reinstall the game. (This is rare, though; it's usually something in your "The Sims 2" folder that's gone screwy.)

Assuming you don't need to reinstall...One step at a time, remove a folder from the new "The Sims 2 Folder" (don't delete it or overwrite it; you may need to move it back in if you find a corrupted folder in your original "The Sims 2" folder) and replace it with a copy of the same folder from your old "The Sims 2" folder. Load the game and try to load a neighborhood after each move, until you find the spot where your game starts to crash. Then you'll need to do the same sort of process on that particular folder, only with the individual files until you find the culprit. Hopefully it's only one file that's bad and then you'll be able to just copy over the rest of your folders from your original "The Sims 2" folder and you'll be back in business. But if it crashes again, you'll need to keep up with the process until, potentially, you go through your "The Sims 2" folder rather forensically..

In other words, this might not just be a simple CC problem. If it was, you'd find it by CORRECTLY doing a 50/50 of your Downloads folder. Rather, it might be problem with one of the game files having gotten corrupted or accidentally deleted. Or it could be that that particular neighborhood that you're trying to load is fatally damaged and you'll just have to say goodbye to it or install an older backup, if you've been backing up diligently (Which is highly recommended for neighborhoods you care about). But whatever the case, systematically going through your files WILL find the problem. It sucks and can take forever, but if your game is worth it to you...Well, there you are.

There are no shortcuts. If you don't have the patience to do the above and run through the Game Help FAQ, then you're certainly welcome to get rid of everything you have -- all your neighborhoods, saved Sims, CC, etc. -- and start fresh. Some people like to do that sometimes anyway. But starting fresh doesn't mean reinstalling (Unless your install files are damaged). It only means deleting your "The Sims 2" folder and then loading the game and letting it generate a new "The Sims 2" folder.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Page 1 of 2