Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#51 Old 22nd Feb 2015 at 12:08 PM
Advertisement
Scholar
#52 Old 22nd Feb 2015 at 1:20 PM
If i'm failing in creativity which happens now and then (Names from series, books and especially anime are not creative :D) i use this site:

http://www.babynameguide.com/
Field Researcher
#53 Old 22nd Feb 2015 at 2:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
So did you specifically go for anagrams there?

Yep. When I couldn't think of three separate names that would fit the family, I fell back on the cutesy matchy style - it seemed like something Samantha would do. Their newest twins were then named Brady and Darby, because there was a precedent. (If they were both girls, it would've been easy - Dorothea and Theodora.) I may continue the tradition when one of the ten kids inevitable has multiples.
Mad Poster
#54 Old 22nd Feb 2015 at 4:38 PM
Saturnian, please tell me you have a Romance sim named Felice Concolor!

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
#55 Old 22nd Feb 2015 at 5:06 PM
I'm terrible at finding names for my Sims kids.
Sometimes I have some kind of bright idea (usually when the parents' names have something in common) but most of the times it just does not happen.

So.
I usually just give them some random name. The first one that comes to my mind and which is not being used by any other Sim at the same time - as it would get confusing.
(To be honest being a teacher helps a lot. I simply choose the name of one of my students xD)

If I'm a few generations into the game I may also give them the name of a deceased member of the family. Grandparents are a great inspiration, but I usually prefer to choose one of the side of the family which had different surname (mom's family or whatever) so the full name is not exactly the same.
If the family has some sort of self-importance then the heir may be named right after the father. So Malcom Landgraab IV may be followed by Malcolm V, Malcom VI and so on.
But that only works in families for which the title is important, which is not the usual in my hoods (my Sims are usually poor).

Also townies may be a source of inspiration!
If the parents have a townie best-buddy they may name their kids after them, because townies have the kind of names I would never think of so it gets quite funny XD
Field Researcher
#56 Old 22nd Feb 2015 at 5:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Saturnian, please tell me you have a Romance sim named Felice Concolor!

'Fraid not. But I'll bear it in mind for the future.
Mad Poster
#57 Old 22nd Feb 2015 at 8:03 PM
Ha, I have done the "random object sim is looking at" one before. The sim was making a pet brick on the toy crafting table when she went into labour. I had picked the brick with the big lips, so the baby was named Lipsy. It sort of suits her...

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Lab Assistant
#58 Old 22nd Feb 2015 at 8:18 PM
I sometimes use the Social Security baby names at http://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/

I love using this site because it gives popular baby names all the way back to 1880, so if I want to use old fashioned names it is made easy.

Other than that, I will name for previously deceased family members such as grandparents, aunts, or uncles.
Instructor
#59 Old 22nd Feb 2015 at 8:30 PM
She named the first one Tri, because her last name is Ku and she's a Tricou.

Her baby could be named Beau Ku, (inspired by "beaucoup".)

Elephant! Handcuffs! Naughty! Tee hee!
Lab Assistant
#60 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 12:28 AM
When it comes to premades I try and do something that fits both parents. With Darren and Cassandra in Pleasantview I stuck with the D theme but also chose a name that would be meaningful to Cass. I named their daughter Bella Donna. With Johnny and Ophelia in Strangetown I went with Shakespearean names that begin with the letter J: Juno, Jupiter, Justice, ect.

With CAS sims I try and choose something that fits them and their personality. I made a sim named Lily (who adores flowers) and all of her children ended up being named after flowers and plants. I have my CAS, Summer Seasons, and her daughters are named Winter and Autumn. They, in turn, will continue the trend but with other themes. Winter will name her children after virtues while I'm still deciding what Autumn's choice will be.

Or I simply hear or read a name that I love and write it down to use it next time. The only task then is trying to find the right parent the name "fits". :P
Mad Poster
#61 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 4:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fruitsymphony
Her baby could be named Beau Ku, (inspired by "beaucoup".)

I love that, but her name is Spitzig now that she's married. There must be something really awful that can go with Spitzig.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
#62 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 10:10 AM
I love that, but her name is Spitzig now that she's married. There must be something really awful that can go with Spitzig.

Rincen? (Rinse-and-)

My CC creations, updated April 21, 2015.

My Simblr
Inventor
#63 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 11:19 AM
I have a bunch of names that are just off the top of my head, really common sounding, plain names like Paul, Tom, Joe, Anne, Sarah, Jessica. I use those if the family isn't my main family and I can't be bothered to really think of a name.

If it's an important family, I take the mums name and the dad's name and say them together, for example Michelle and Jason, and I'll rearrange parts of the names and find something similar, so for those two as parents, I could get Mason, Ellan, May, Noel, Angel.
I might just do that for the first name, and then if it comes out as something specific, I'll just use that as a theme instead. So like, Anna and Paul might mix to make Apple, then I'll name the next one Cherry, and the next one Peach.
Mad Poster
#64 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 11:30 AM
Neveah (never) Spitzig? (Sorry!)

Lickety (Lickety Spit, meaning fast) - Felickety (misspelling of Felicity)

Polly Shand Spitzig

Oh hang on, these are all girl names.... hmmmmm.

Did you know Spitzig is German for spiky? That might help with name inspiration... The German for hedgehog is igel. Igel Spitzig.

Porcupine = Stachelschwein (Sting-pig, prickle-pig, thorn-pig) (Another translation is Barb which is another good girl name. Damnit!)

Theorist
#65 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 11:32 AM

Fitz? Fitz Spitzig sounds pretty bad, and "fitz" used to be a prefix meaning "bastard of". (So anyone named "Fitzwilliam" had, way back in their family tree somewhere, an ancestor named William who wasn't exactly married to the woman who had his baby.)

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#66 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 12:30 PM Last edited by maxon : 23rd Feb 2015 at 12:42 PM.
See, this is what happens as soon as you start playing with words. Polish'n Spitzig - wrong way round.

For spiky - Cactus? Porkupine? Jagged? Barb?

Fitz, Esme, is ... interesting. Latterly, since the 17th century at least, it meant not just bastard of but specifically royal bastard of - in your example, the ancester would have been King or Prince William - though sometimes it just meant second son. Hence Fitzwilliam Darcy in Pride and Prejudice. Originally though it just meant son of (derived from the French fils) and was used when a prominent noble did not hold his own lands (that's the Norman meaning where the word originated in English).

See, don't get me started on word derivations. I go mad. Some of my sims have very obscure names with obscure meanings. An example would be Deacon Hedges which, if you knew the derivation, would tell you exactly what sort of person he is. He's in the politics career and is a very successful competitor in that field.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#67 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 2:46 PM
I use websites to like nameberry.com , which is my favourite, to find names for newborns.

I also go with themes, puns or try to keep a tradition such as names beginning with the same letter, etc... Sometimes, though, its plain random as long as it fits!

If twins, are involved, then I will try to do the same as well, in terms of theme, rhyme, puns, alliteration, etc...
Test Subject
#68 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 11:21 PM
Usually I just pick something that I think fits with the rest of the family members' names. I do keep a list of interesting names (not specifically for sims, but for stories and other games as well), but I use that more for CAS sims than for children, because I seldom have the patience to go look for it when a baby is born, so babies have to rely on the power of my imagination. XD

The Curious brothers have a tradition of naming their alien children after constellations, and Don Lothario's six alien children all have terrible space related puns for names. But those are kind of special cases, and I don't have such strict traditions with any other families. Never done the same letter thing yet.
Lab Assistant
#69 Old 27th Feb 2015 at 5:23 PM
Some of my families have themes. The Brokes name their children after film stars, one branch of the Wainscotting family use font names. Also, I sometimes use rhyming names or sounds. So, Artie McPharty has children and grandchildren called Hartie, Bartie and Martie. In the Jollity family all male names rhyme with Oris, and all female names with Orrissia.

Otherwise I use names that aren't really names. I figure that if sims don't speak a human language then they aren't necessarily going to have human sounding names. So, in our world a spatula is a kitchen utensil, in simlish that could be a lovely name for a little girl. The same for body parts, Latin words, food (Tomato and Potato are delightful names for twin boys), drinks, architectural terms ...

I do give pets human names though. Most recently, Emily Lee adopted a dog which she named Stuart.

You lied to meā€¦There is a Swansea!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#70 Old 27th Feb 2015 at 6:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mara Redford
The Curious brothers have a tradition of naming their alien children after constellations, and Don Lothario's six alien children all have terrible space related puns for names. But those are kind of special cases, and I don't have such strict traditions with any other families. Never done the same letter thing yet.

I hope you don't mind but would you be willing to share Don's kids' names? I'm actually really interested in those space puns
Forum Resident
#71 Old 27th Feb 2015 at 8:25 PM
This started when I played Romance sims who had a lot of kids with different fathers. I named the kids with whatever the first letter of the father's name was, so I could keep track of the fathers. Pretty silly, but it stuck and I do this a lot now. The exception is sims of different ethnicities. I look on the internet for names in that particular culture. And, of course, the aliens have names that are variations of planet, galaxy, or constellation names. The planet name variations have led to some interesting names. I got stuck on Uranus but finally came up with Rania for a girl and Ranu for a boy. Yeah, I'm weird. :p
Mad Poster
#72 Old 27th Feb 2015 at 9:04 PM
Don Spitzig.

Which would probably come from his presumed daddy. "Something simple and traditional, Bev, nothing he'll have to spell for teachers. Aren't you sick of seeing 'Tri' spelled 'Try' on his report cards?"

Or Barbie Q. Spitzig.

Or taking Spitzig as being close to 'spritz' rather than 'spits', there are all sorts of brand name products that could be used.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Scholar
#73 Old 28th Feb 2015 at 9:45 AM
Llama. As in "Llama Spit-zig". Or something else notorious for spitting.
Theorist
#74 Old 28th Feb 2015 at 11:55 AM

Balov .. Spitzig

(Ball Of Spit) .... lol
Mad Poster
#75 Old 28th Feb 2015 at 1:22 PM
Eww! lol

Page 3 of 5