Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 28th Mar 2015 at 10:37 PM
Oh, I don't know. It can't be because of the bugs, can it?

I was so excited for it, but it was a disappointment. I didn't even get to play all the life states because it's still too @%!!#%! buggy! I gave my copy to a friend and turned my back on the game for good.
Advertisement
#27 Old 29th Mar 2015 at 12:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ZenGarden
You we're offended by a world that takes place in hundreds of years ago and that is based on fantasy?

I am very old. What can I say?
Top Secret Researcher
#28 Old 29th Mar 2015 at 12:13 AM
Hugely unpopular oppinion but I kind of like Showtime. SimPort sucks and so does the careers, but I really enjoy Starlight Shores, the objects and the clothing to be honest

Karaoke machine. The rest of the EP, meh, but karaoke machine!

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
Mad Poster
#29 Old 29th Mar 2015 at 2:20 AM
Ouch. Looks like I lucked out or the Origin EPs got fixed. Either way, when you install an EP or SP, or even the latest patch, back up your saves so you don't ruin them. Sims is complex and is known for its bugginess. Still, I'm sorry that this happened to you.
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#30 Old 29th Mar 2015 at 12:25 PM
Hugely unpopular oppinion but I kind of like Showtime. SimPort sucks and so does the careers, but I really enjoy Starlight Shores, the objects and the clothing to be honest
And this right here is a great example of what people are talking about when they say a particular EP is good or bad. The features of a particular EP may suck, but the items/clothing may be really good. I ignore simport, singing, performing, etc, but I thought a lot of the items and CAS stuff were really good, and I liked the chin up bar a lot, since it fit in with my poor urban sims who live in tiny spaces but still wanna look good in the bathing suit. So it really depends on a person's particular playstyle whether or not an EP will be "good" for them or "bad".

As for the supes, I like Supernatural. True, there are a few game saves where I don't allow any vamps or witches, but after I modded out the zombies, and the aforementioned bugs were dealt with, it has become one of my favorites EPs. It really is one of those things where you like it a lot, or don't care for it at all, depending on how much fantasy aspects you want in a life simulator.
Space Pony
#31 Old 30th Mar 2015 at 4:07 AM
I'm currently making a world, Greek Mythology inspired, so the SN work well in the world. However when I was playing an old game, before I found Nraas, my sim was a firefighter and before I knew it all of his co-workers were vampires. It was awkward and I was considering turning him into a vamp just so he wouldn't be the only human. I'm interested in getting Showtime mostly because it's the only remaining EP I don't have, when it goes down in price of course. With the exception of Into the Future no matter how creative I get I don't see that integrating well into my style of game play.
Now that I think about it I haven't exactly played the actual game in ages been so obsessed when it comes to completing my world. Mostly because I get board with the other Neighborhoods because they don't integrate well with each other in terms of things to do and I quickly get board and my sims quickly become shut-ins.
Field Researcher
#32 Old 30th Mar 2015 at 7:30 PM
I like Supernatural, don't know about anyone else.

My biggest gripe is with the stupid combined rabbitholes, but that was a pre-existing problem. (Which they never fixed. Oh well, doesn't matter. Moonlight Falls has a prettier school AND stadium since I had to rework them.) But yeah, EA's releases are always plagued with glitches and bugs from the beginning-- be sure to check the date of a review. If it was done immediately after release, they're complaining about the bugs.

Not that EA should be releasing half-assed, unfinished games and doing day 1 patches, that is unacceptable. But it explains the bad reviews.

Oh, I guess I was also disappointed that the game didn't have any throwbacks to the original Makin' Magic EP. I LOVED that EP. I played the hell out of it.
Instructor
#33 Old 22nd Apr 2015 at 11:19 PM
I got it with my copy of the base game and Moonlight falls is my favorite town so far and the Sim I play the most as is a Warewolf, but I can understand the negative reviews.

I didn't know anything about the game and I had to go do something so I made the mistake of saving and quitting in them middle of a full moon and Zombie not only take over the whole town but they kept spawning in to the point where the game would just completely crash a minute or two after starting a game, because every character in town would be turned into a Zombie and then spawn into my yard. The only way I was able to fix this was by spending a week downloading a patch that was over one and a half gigs in sizes and with a fan made patch. Without this the expansion wrecks the game, and given that it came out with a retail price of $40 there really is no excuse. That is what I used to pay for a full PC game back in the 90s.

So yeah without the no zombies mod and the patch this thing is a cash grab by EA that I don't think was even finished being programed, so while with those things I enjoy it I think the negative reviews were spot on. No one should have paid full price for this unfinished game wrecker. it was a rip off.
Mad Poster
#34 Old 23rd Apr 2015 at 12:51 AM
I love most things about Supernatural though I hate zombies spawning on full moons and the full moon lunacy is a nightmare to the game.I've installed Mods to remove both and am currently testing the lunacy Mod.
Field Researcher
#35 Old 23rd Apr 2015 at 2:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TadOlson
I love most things about Supernatural though I hate zombies spawning on full moons and the full moon lunacy is a nightmare to the game.I've installed Mods to remove both and am currently testing the lunacy Mod.

I've been using the lunacy mod, and it doesn't seem to work in some cases.

Apparently, the actual tuning uses the fun motive to determine whether Sims get the moodlet, but there are certain personality traits that will often or always get it regardless of their fun levels. Supernatural Fan does, and I think that Neurotic is more prone to it. Insane Sims, weirdly enough, aren't more likely to get the moodlet.
Instructor
#37 Old 24th Apr 2015 at 2:42 AM
I never understood why they didn't make Midnight Hollow the supernatural world and added in the OFB elements. Other than the making more money factor. I mean, Midnight Hollow has Diagon Alley, a red moon, and super creepy houses. Moonlight Falls is just too spread out for me, like University. Too much open space.

Actually, now that I think about it, I probably would have split the occults up. Kept werewolves with Moonlight Falls (to advance upon the Twilight madness, as EA did), added witches with Midnight Hollow, fairies go well with Hidden Springs, zombies could have a post-apocalyptic world of their own, created elfs/orcs to go with Dragon Valley, and made an Eastern European world for vampires. EA really missed an opportunity to squeeze a few more EPs out of this.
#38 Old 24th Apr 2015 at 7:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lindali365
I took one look at Limerick House in DV and I was insulted, and I'm not from Ireland. Still, I have enough Irish in me (thank you ancestors) to bulldoze that lot first thing in every DV game. That's for starters.

Well, I was insulted, but then I found out that I'm not part Irish like I thought, I'm part Scottish, so now it's okay.
#39 Old 24th Apr 2015 at 7:53 PM
I don't like Zombies. You can shut off the Vampires, the Wolves, the witches, the fairies... but not Zombies! Why? Why oh lordy why!!!

I don't mind the extra points you get during the full moon - double magic power and double experience points when you use magic, but the Zombies are just annoying; they Rip up your garden, get in your cue for doing things, you can't do anything with them, and all they do is make grunting noises.

I don't like mixing themes: I want all magic or all science.
One Minute Ninja'd
#40 Old 24th Apr 2015 at 8:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by stuart-grey
I don't like Zombies. You can shut off the Vampires, the Wolves, the witches, the fairies... but not Zombies! Why? Why oh lordy why!!!

Funny you should feel that way. You're not alone. As a matter of fact, there is a no zombie solution available. And it's even on this very site! Called, of all things Zombies Begone! And I even gave you the link.

Search can be your friend, too.
Mad Poster
#41 Old 24th Apr 2015 at 9:17 PM
I've found Supernatural to be the most useless EP for me. I can't fathom why EA gave us fairytale creatures, instead of proper businesses and apartments. The most useful thing the Supernatural EP offers is rocking chairs, which should've come with the Generations EP instead as it fits that theme better.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Instructor
#42 Old 24th Apr 2015 at 11:44 PM
Supernatural is the best EP that came out for TS3, i like so much cuz i am big supernatural fan and it's just perfect, now if it's full moon you will get zombies but just turn off the full moon, and try it out if reviews say it's bad that doesn't mean that you'll won't enjoy.

I need a cigarette
Instructor
#43 Old 25th Apr 2015 at 6:20 AM
Default I don't mind mixing magic and sience
Quote: Originally posted by stuart-grey

I don't mind the extra points you get during the full moon - double magic power and double experience points when you use magic, but the Zombies are just annoying; they Rip up your garden, get in your cue for doing things, you can't do anything with them, and all they do is make grunting noises.

I don't like mixing themes: I want all magic or all science.

As a big fan of Atop the Forth Wall and Doctor Who I don't mind mixing magic and science, it's the Zombies that break the game.

As you said they are pointless since all they do is wreck your stuff and you can't even tell your Sim to attack them, once they show up there is no way to get rid of them so at some point they will start to crash your game no matter how powerful your computer is. Without a fan made mod all this expansion pack does is break the game,and since it costs almost as much as the base game there really is no excuse for that and the fact that EA never patched it so you could get rid of Zombie is reason enough for the bad reviews.

I tried turning off the full moon and they kept spawning every second of the game and when it didn't crash after two minutes they turned every person in town into a zombie so my Sim had no one to interact with. I thought I was sick of the Zombie fad before but after this if I ever see another Zombie movie or game in my life I will take a shotgun to the brains of the people who made it.

This was just stupid and it ruined an expansion pack I otherwise enjoyed. it shouldn't be up to the fans to make their own mods just to get full priced expansion packs to work.

I like the content of the this expansion pack, but because of the insane price point and the Zombies I think it earned every negative review it got.
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 25th Apr 2015 at 9:48 PM
Supernatural was my first ever Sims 3 EP and I loved it at first, but as I played I kind of realized how lacking it was. I really was hoping there would be more witches spells. Moonlight Falls was nice but I hate the majority of the sims in there. I wish there was more to it, honestly.
Forum Resident
#45 Old 26th Apr 2015 at 9:43 PM Last edited by Deshong : 27th Apr 2015 at 4:26 PM.
I'm the type of player, or so I was, more into realism and not so much the fantasy. However because I've never gotten Makin' Magic for the very same reason then but I do have it now but never played it yet, I thought why not at least try SN. Now mind you, I never played, so far, with any lifestate in TS2. I even avoided the genie lamp and other fantasy type content in TS, although I did use the genie lamp a few times to try it out. SN though I must say that I have enjoyed and even turned a husband and wife into a vampire and witch and kept them that way ever since. But it's odd because when I play with supernaturals I often forget of their powers such as the witch. Like just using their powers to clean themselves or the whole house instead of doing it manually, lol. I'm just so used to playing humans I guess.

I will say that TS3 supernaturals are not bad, however just like everything else in the game it could have been a whole lot better and in-depth. I would have liked to see the more mature side of a T-rated game but we all know how EA views that as evidence by TS3 and especially TS4.

Oh yeah and the zombies annoy me after awhile and mess up photoshoots if any outdoors so I have a mod to completely disable them during the full moon because I enjoy the lunar cycle. Plus it is annoying they keep eating my sims plants/garden. And I've disabled the full moon glow using NRass because it hurts my eyes.

I initially bought SN because of MF, the kids stuff, rocking chair, clothes, furniture, I guess almost everything but the supernaturals themselves. But I figured since I have it at least try it out so I did and well you know what the result of that is.

Something else I forgot to mention. I really can't stand overall not just in SN but in TS3 how children seem to have gained privileges in some areas and lost some in other areas. I do not like how SN treats kids and wish they could do a lot more being supernatural. That is a huge let down.
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#46 Old 26th Apr 2015 at 10:09 PM
@Deshong Great pictures Please could you pop 4 of the images under a spoiler/info tab, it helps with loading times as per the Site rules and guidelines , thanks

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
One Minute Ninja'd
#47 Old 27th Apr 2015 at 12:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Deshong
I'm the type of player, or so I was, more into realism and not so much the fantasy. However because I've never gotten Makin' Magic for the very same reason then but I do have it now but never played it yet, I thought why not at least try SN. Now mind you, I never played, so far, with any lifestate in TS2. I even avoided the genie lamp and other fantasy type content in TS, although I did use the genie lamp a few times to try it out. SN though I must say that I have enjoyed and even turned a husband and wife into a vampire and witch and kept them that way ever since. But it's odd because when I play with supernaturals I often forget of their powers such as the witch. Like just using their powers to clean themselves or the whole house instead of doing it manually, lol. I'm just so used to playing humans I guess.

snip

Oh yeah and the zombies annoy me after awhile and mess up photoshoots if any outdoors so I have a mod to completely disable them during the full moon because I enjoy the lunar cycle. Plus it is annoying they keep eating my sims plants/garden. And I've disabled the full moon glow using NRass because it hurts my eyes.

Well, I did refer to a mod up above to lose the zombies (totally annoying and utterly nonthreatening, how the hell can they even be called zombies?) and there's a mod to lose the green fluorescent effect of the full moon (hated that glow too), so you can still have a lunar cycle without the annoyances.

And one other hint. I LOVED the witch casting the clean everything spell. Made housework a pleasure. Except for a bug, which has not been fixed to this day (which means it never will) that when casting the spell will cause all the prepared food in the fridge to go bad within a day. And as someone who stocks up a bunch of nice meals for my sims to grab whenever they're hungry without the whole drama of cooking a meal calling the household to the meal, which they'll eat even if already stuffed (and a way for my sims to always get their fave meal whenever they want), it was a bug that, for me, killed that otherwise cool spell.

I was also someone who didn't play with supernaturals, and, to be honest, I wasn't a huge fan of the werewolves or even the vamps, v.2, but enjoyed the witches and occasional fairy in the household. I also really liked the town, as it and Twinbrook were really the only ones that looked good with a four season cycle (snow in SV or certainly Lucky Palms and Roaring Heights just looked wrong to me, let alone custom worlds like Angel City (LA based) or even places like Sunlit Tides or IP). I didn't even really like snow in Bridgeport, as the only snow I'm used to in cities in real life turns a disgusting dark grey from dirt within a day, and it's hard for me to break the association.
Inventor
#48 Old 27th Apr 2015 at 8:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
I LOVED the witch casting the clean everything spell. Made housework a pleasure. Except for a bug, which has not been fixed to this day (which means it never will) that when casting the spell will cause all the prepared food in the fridge to go bad within a day.

That's supposed to happen only when the spell epic fails, otherwise it should make all foods in the [shared inventory of the] fridge unspoil.
You mean it happens even when the spell is a success or you don't like that side effect when it epic fails?
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 27th Apr 2015 at 10:59 AM
I kind of like it, but I'm not gonna turn the witches, vampires, fairies & werewolves on all the time.

I like the items that comes with the game, the honey, new plants to plant, new food to cook, it's just awesome. Clothing? Not so much, I have a few that I use & I neglect the rest. As for the supernatural sims, I don't use them on any serious plays at all. Fairies got good auras & make good gardeners but they are annoying pranksters going around pissing off other sims & even their own parents. Vampires got more magic to play around with but Late Night got everything you need as a vampire anyway so eh. Werewolf is just a dog sim. I prefer dogs from Pets than werewolves, dogs are more fun to play. Witches are the best, I fricking love them! Restoration saves a lot of time on cleaning, but I'm not gonna leave them on for my serious plays, though. Oh by the way, I think the Magical Upgrade is bugged or something, it wouldn't upgrade some of the stuff like water sprinklers.

But if you have World Adventures & University Life as well, you could farm Tiberium & your sim will be a millionaire. if you really want to do that, of course.

EDIT
Oh zombies are sooooooooooooo annoying, I have to get a mod to disable them.
After a while, I need to find a mod to disable fullmoon lighting, it's dull after a while.
#50 Old 27th Apr 2015 at 11:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
Funny you should feel that way. You're not alone. As a matter of fact, there is a no zombie solution available. And it's even on this very site! Called, of all things Zombies Begone! And I even gave you the link.

Search can be your friend, too.

Thanks! I'm gonna install that mod!

But don't you think that you're just rewarding my bad whining behavior by giving me what I want?

Now I'll just whine some more to see what else I can get.
Page 2 of 4