Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 20th May 2015 at 1:25 PM
Using my middle name (which is what everyone calls me by, anyway)
My name today would be Emma.
In previous decades I would have been: Emily, Jessica, Jennifer, and Linda.

But most of the time, it would have been: Mary.

It was one of the most (if not the most) popular names in the US for naming girls.

But if I had used my proper first name, forget it! It was the 96th most popular name.

I'll take first place, thank you very much.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#27 Old 20th May 2015 at 1:33 PM
Thought I better check out this thread, lol it wasn't what i thought it was.

So I gave it a whirl and apparently I am Ariel?

In the 1990's it would have been Latoya? I'm glad I'm old!

I find it hard to believe that Joanne was in 131st place in 1966 since I went to school with two other Joanne's, aJohanna and a Joanna (perhaps that generator only reflects the US) One of my friends is called Leeanne and my sil is Deanne. obviously the somethingAnne was popular at one time.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#28 Old 20th May 2015 at 5:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
Honoka - When I was a kid I had one of the barbie doll little sister dolls, called Chelsea. Would have been late 90s. I thought it was the most sophisticated name. If I'd got pregnant at 13 or something, I might have named a kid Chelsea. I also like a lot of the others, including Autumn - your parents must share my taste in names XD

Names come back into fashion in cycles. 1890s names are very "in" because it's three generations back. The 1920s-50s names all sound like old people, 60s-90s all sound dated. You must have a name in the top 100.

Yes, my name was 70th most popular name in the year 1992. My best friend and me share the same name, that's funny. :D
Mad Poster
#30 Old 20th May 2015 at 8:34 PM
I've been using this tool for years. It's very helpful

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Forum Resident
#31 Old 20th May 2015 at 8:54 PM
My stupid boys name was the 255th most popular in 1969.... Who could imagine there was so many other stupid parents apart from mine. Damn hippie parents trying to be cool, and mixing things up and giving their girl children identity problems. Might have seemed cool then, but it just caused a ton of misunderstandings, identity issues, and inappropriate jokes from very unfunny men... sigh.. "hey, you don't look like no boy" (man stares creepily at your bits)

But hey, equivalent is 1990 is cool, me favourite name anastasia
And I love Eve from 1910
1930, I'd be cool and mysterious Gilda
1900 Claudie, and 1820's Savannah, I don't mind at all.. They sound classy and original. Think that's what my mum was aiming for.

Tell the truth, every equivalent name on my list is really kinda cool.. Just call me Robbie (1960), guess they would have had problems too, glad I'm not alone.
Mad Poster
#32 Old 20th May 2015 at 9:05 PM
The generator is based on US Social Security data, Jo, so, yeah - US and US territory/expat births only. I don't know if it includes retroactive data from immigrant citizens, but even if it did, the signal would be swamped by the overwhelming noise of the citizen birthrate.

A worldwide database would be interesting (watch as Asian fashion trends stomp all over American ones!) but monumentally difficult to put together, requiring the cooperation of so many governments! Somebody should pitch it to the UN, just for grins.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#33 Old 20th May 2015 at 10:30 PM
I need an Australian or a British (seeing my parents are British) generator. Growing up I felt I had the most boring common name and when I was about 10 I wanted to be Michelle or Sharron. I used to say I would change it when I was an adult. When I reached my teens I stared calling myself Jo and everyone but my parents took that on. I never did change it and I'm glad, I think my name is a snap shot of the 1960's and I like Jo as a name. Everyone calls me that-except the parents, but they are in their 80's so I don't expect them too.

Keeping on topic I did dh, Steven was the 14th most popular boys name in 1965! Today he would be Aiden. That's not bad at all.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 21st May 2015 at 6:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I need an Australian or a British (seeing my parents are British) generator. Growing up I felt I had the most boring common name and when I was about 10 I wanted to be Michelle or Sharron. I used to say I would change it when I was an adult. When I reached my teens I stared calling myself Jo and everyone but my parents took that on. I never did change it and I'm glad, I think my name is a snap shot of the 1960's and I like Jo as a name. Everyone calls me that-except the parents, but they are in their 80's so I don't expect them too.

Keeping on topic I did dh, Steven was the 14th most popular boys name in 1965! Today he would be Aiden. That's not bad at all.

LOL! I'm a Michelle. I don't mind the name, but it was a pretty "boring, common" name when I was growing up, haha. It was the third most common name the year I was born, and I went to school with loads of other Michelles. I'm not sure if the difference is that I was born almost a decade after you or that I'm in the United States.

The results I got (for 3rd most common name) were:

Today: Sophia
2000s: Ashley
1990s: Brittany
1980s: Melissa
1970s: Angela
1960s: Linda
1950s: Barbara
1940s: Patricia
1930s: Dorothy
1920s: Helen
1910s: Margaret
1900s: Anna
1890s: Elizabeth
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#35 Old 21st May 2015 at 6:54 AM
Isn't that always the way with kids though? Your friends and classmates names are always way more exiting than your own.

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#36 Old 21st May 2015 at 8:19 AM
Well For 1920s I got the name Elder,
who would name their kid Elder are they expecting a quick death? had one too many drinks? trying too hard to be unique?
I need a Canadian version of this
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 21st May 2015 at 12:10 PM
My name is Nicholas (Nick for short), I don't really like my name since it's quite common.

The results for 8th most popular male baby names:

Today: Alexander
2000s: Brandon
1990s: Justin
1980s: Brian
1970s: Scott
1960s: Steven
1950s: Charles
1940s: Donald
1930s: George
1920s: Frank
1910s: Willie
1900s: Frank
1890s: Henry
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#38 Old 21st May 2015 at 1:11 PM
Yeah, unfortunately British name data only goes back to about 1996 or something, at least the ones you can access online. Presumably they have the names listed somewhere. So this is US based. Trends are quite different. I was born in 1988, but while my name was the 9th most popular in 1996 in Britain, it was 88th most popular in the US in that year.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Scholar
#39 Old 21st May 2015 at 5:07 PM
I usually go by my second name, but there were no results for it, so I tried my first name instead:

My name today would be
Lilly
My 2000s name is
Guadalupe
My 1990s name is
Cara
My 1980s name is
Kelley
My 1970s name is
Christie
My 1960s name is
Cheri
My 1950s name is
Iris
My 1940s name is
Bettye
My 1930s name is
Winifred
My 1920s name is
Leola
My 1910s name is
Amanda
My 1900s name is
Birdie
My 1890s name is
Adelaide

Nah, didn't like any of those. So I Americanized my second name and got:

My name today would be
Jocelyn
My 2000s name is
Cierra
My 1990s name is
Carmen
My 1980s name is
Leigh
My 1970s name is
Sheryl
My 1960s name is
June
My 1950s name is
Melinda
My 1940s name is
Violet
My 1930s name is
Angelina
My 1920s name is
Adele
My 1910s name is
Dorothea
My 1900s name is
Augusta
My 1890s name is
Cornelia

MUCH better!

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
#40 Old 22nd May 2015 at 1:27 AM
So I was messing around with it and once I got Adolph O_O
Instructor
#41 Old 22nd May 2015 at 7:28 AM
Today : Athena (if only I had the personality to hold up to that kick ass name)
2000s: Mikaela
1990s: Suzanne
1980s: Bobbi
1970s: Cathleen
1960s: Kathi
1950s: Mamie
1940s: Cecile
1930s: Tommie
1920s: Althea
1910s: Verda
1900s: Fanny (...I would change my name before going to England)
1890s: Lilla

EDIT: I take it back, I'll totally rock Suzanne
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#42 Old 22nd May 2015 at 8:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rinchan7
1900s: Fanny (...I would change my name before going to England)

Or here in Australia...

~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#43 Old 22nd May 2015 at 9:15 AM
So, I tried mine. My now name is Genesis, apparently (though like joandsarah I really need an Australian and/or British version).

The really bizzare one is my 1940s name: Willie. I'm female. I have no idea how that was a popular female name in the 1940s but apparently American parents at the time were crazy and there are lots of elderly women called Willie wandering around.

And then I tried my middle name...and the 1910s and 1960s equivalent of that is Kitty, the nickname for my first name that I use here! So that was a surprise.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#44 Old 22nd May 2015 at 9:51 AM
Maybe it's short for Willamina or something.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
#45 Old 22nd May 2015 at 10:29 AM
Now: Asha, this sounds like an edgy 2hip emo name honestly...
2000's: Hanah, which reminds me of this girl I knew in grade school named Savannah.
1990's: Deonna, which sounds sooo 90's.
1980's: Cicely, which I actually really like.
1970's: Lavette, which is just :lovestruc
1960's: Mitzie, which sounds like Mimzy??
1950's: Luanna, also an edgy rainbow sparkles name.
1940's: Luetta, very retro, I likey!
1930's: Venus, which I really love! Cool I got my favorite name so far from the most interesting time period.
1920's: Wilmur, apparently I'm the next incarnation of Wilbur...
1910's: Ura, never heard of that one before!
1900's: Robena, cast me in "Meet The Robenas"
1890's: Senie, which is kind of cute!

Also my poor excuse for a name is not anywhere on the popularity chart!
Mad Poster
#46 Old 22nd May 2015 at 1:52 PM
Actually we go through phases where naming kids after the opposite-sex parent is fashionable. Generally boys get the mother's maiden name, and girls get feminized versions of the father's name. The popularity of the various ways of feminizing a name changes over time. Using the diminutive version of the name with ie (hence Willie, Bobbie, Billie), and using the full name with an a suffix (Johnna, Willa, Michaela), slapping on the diminutive "etta," (Henrietta, Georgette), and adding ine/ina (Geraldine, Ernestine, Wilhelmina, Georgiana) are all variations that you'll see clustered in chronologies. A lot of now-established girls' names started this way, like every female variant of "John" ever.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
#47 Old 22nd May 2015 at 2:36 PM
My name was the 20th most popular when I was born. Then again, I meet a lot of people with the same name, and I'm named after my father, so yeah.

Today - Anthony
2000s - Thomas
1990s (when I was born) - Brian
1980s - Scott
1970s - Gary
1960s - Dennis
1950s - Frank
1940s - Willie
1930s - Albert
1920s - Louis
1910s - Charlie
1900s - Richard
1890s - Earl

Changing my name from William to Billy, I get all kinds of "different" names like Ignacio, Barney, and Ramiro.
Field Researcher
#48 Old 22nd May 2015 at 11:56 PM
Today: Chloe- I like it.
2000s: Nicole
1990s: Sara- I grew up living next to a girl named Sara who was about my age.
1980s: Shannon
1970s: Sharon
1960s: Janet
1950s: Martha- I can't decide whether I think this name is frumpy (no offense to anyone named Martha) or is due for a comeback soon.
1940s: Frances
1930s: Phyllis- I wanted to find a funny clip of Phyllis Lindstrom from The Mary Tyler Moore show to post here, but I couldn't. So, if you don't know her, just... no no no.
1920s: Edna- all I can think of is Edna Krabappel on The Simpsons.
1910s: Gertrude- I don't mind the nickname Trudy, but no.
1900s: Myrtle- no thank you.
1890s: Louise- I kinda like this one....

Hey- if you said something to me in a post and I didn't write back, I'm sorry. Sometimes I don't feel good enough to post and by the time I'm able to the thread's old enough that I feel kind of weird about bumping it just to post one or two sentences. So please don't take it personally! :)
Mad Poster
#49 Old 23rd May 2015 at 12:03 AM
No, no, think Edna la Mode! And Phyllis Diller was awesome.

Field Researcher
#50 Old 23rd May 2015 at 12:15 AM
But then I'd have to have a husband named Fang....

Hey- if you said something to me in a post and I didn't write back, I'm sorry. Sometimes I don't feel good enough to post and by the time I'm able to the thread's old enough that I feel kind of weird about bumping it just to post one or two sentences. So please don't take it personally! :)
Page 2 of 3