Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jul 2015 at 10:12 PM
Default Suggestion for monthly theme: Teen Male
I don't know where to put this, but I really want to suggest a monthly theme for the site.

Male teens have never gotten much love in the Sims. It's hard to find nice clothing for them, with pants that do NOT reach to their armpits, but it would also be nice to have say, cars that are perfect for a male teen (you know the type, 'rånebil' in Norwegian, 'raggare' in Swedish), cars that in a male teen's mind would pull girls. Or rooms with decoration or furniture that are perfect for a teen boy, like gaming computers with stickers all over. Even lots for teen boys. Like the gas station or gaming arcade where they hang with their friends, and I am sure your imagination is even better than mine.

Does this sound like a good idea? Or no?

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 5th Jul 2015 at 10:32 PM
I think it's rather sexist and stereotype-locked to think that male teen equals gamer, cars, gas station or gaming arcade. I get what you are saying, but I think it's sad when we take the stereotypes of our society and push it onto our Sims.

But hey, I can always make something pink and fluffy to counter all the stereotypical stuff testosterone-filled stuff, should it happen.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Jul 2015 at 10:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
I think it's rather sexist and stereotype-locked to think that male teen equals gamer, cars, gas station or gaming arcade. I get what you are saying, but I think it's sad when we take the stereotypes of our society and push it onto our Sims.

But hey, I can always make something pink and fluffy to counter all the stereotypical stuff testosterone-filled stuff, should it happen.

These were just suggestions to get the imagination rolling, you know?

Field Researcher
#4 Old 5th Jul 2015 at 10:55 PM
You have some good suggestions and I agree with you. I can never find anything good for my teen males
Field Researcher
#5 Old 5th Jul 2015 at 11:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt

I understand what you mean, but I'm 16 and male and trust me, it's all about getting laid and gaming lol.
As far as stereotyping goes, there should be a variety.
There should be stuff from nerdy teen guys to partying types. I, personally, am very flamboyant and find myself enjoying things that are considered "girly" by most people, playing Sims is a great example... sigh... How many times do I have to say that I just like building stuff in the game in order to not be called gay. Which I don't deny but that's a whole 'nother subject lol

I like the idea though, the teen males in my game are always quite heart-throbs or absolute nerds :D
Mad Poster
#6 Old 5th Jul 2015 at 11:42 PM
The males in my game have little clothing. I search everywhere but rarely find much I like.
It would be nice to see some old banged up cars too, which have been passed down from parents and older siblings, or beds that are missing legs but propped up with bricks, boxes etc. (A friend of mine use to hold his bed up with a lightsaber after someone jumped on his bed at a party).

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 12:09 AM
I would actually like a whole lot more male stereotypical stuff. Normal cargo shorts, baggy T shirts and short hair. It's already pretty easy to find converted female hair and skin tight clothing for teen males. I think that is the whole point of the thread, that masculine stuff is in short supply.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 12:42 AM
Yes, and the clothes that are available are SOOOO BOORING. There is middle ground between flamboyant and Kmart, but you just don't find it.

Bed with lightsaber for a leg, that is awesome! And the cars, in my day (dating myself here) all the teen boys dreamt about a tricked out Opel Manta. With racing stripes, of course.

Link Ninja
#9 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 1:24 AM
If you haven't seen misomoso sims' tumblr yet, there is a nice collection of teen male clothes. Just thought I'd leave the link here since it's relevant.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 1:28 AM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 6th Jul 2015 at 1:51 AM.
I have some really nice teen shorts, might have come from GOS. I'll load up bodyshop and see if it says who they are by.

They are by [Ja] and called Pinfish

Edit:Here https://www.mediafire.com/?whby5s8elj34c

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#12 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 2:25 AM
The themes are all planned out. The ideas are all from the member base from a poll/suggestion type thread a while back. We kinda flailed about the first go round since we didn't plan them all out. I would think stereotypical clothes would fit in with the around the world theme.

I'm sure when we run through the existing theme ideas we will put up a thread looking for more suggestions. But for now, lidi, msd, karen (and anyone I forgot) are doing a fab job.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 2:27 AM
I would say maxis clothes are both nice and hideous. No teen boy I know would wear socks with sandals and no men wear short cropped polo tops. In Australia at least boys wear on up tends to be slightly longer and larger overall then girls clothes in the same size and style. Eg My sons T-shirts are longer then the T-shirts my daughter had when she was that same size.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#14 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 2:42 AM
HL, I agree you are doing a great job. It just seems that no matter what the theme is, noone even thinks about those poor boys. And it's not just clothes, it's all across the board. So I figured if there was a special theme just for teen boys, it might make people take notice of them.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 2:54 AM
Even the GOS themes don't get much made for teen boys. When they do a younger group it's the teen girls that get things and in a male only theme it's the adults.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#16 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 3:09 AM
Nobody makes things for elders, either. (

Somebody should have a clothing drive with the theme: Everything except AF!

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#18 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 3:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charmful
If you haven't seen misomoso sims' tumblr yet, there is a nice collection of teen male clothes. Just thought I'd leave the link here since it's relevant.

Oh my, my downloads folder is going to get a whole lot bigger now. Thanks for the link

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Scholar
Original Poster
#19 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 3:59 AM
In my experience it is easier to find clothing for elders than for teen boys!
Not by much, but still...

Link Ninja
#20 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 4:15 AM Last edited by Charmful : 6th Jul 2015 at 7:49 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by SciBirg

I agree. I started converting adult male clothes to elder in SimPE just so I didn't start having wardrobe repeats in my elder male population.

EDIT: Wait, I think I read that wrong. I was saying it's harder to find elder male clothing...because it is. I've plundered through All About Style, which had a good amount but are there any other sites with elder clothes to peruse through? This is off topic. Sorry.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Mad Poster
#21 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 7:40 AM
I was going to say what Peni said. Especially elder males. Teen males have a lot more clothes imo - especially when it comes to tops (untucked) and bottoms than elder males.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 7:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SciBirg

Tell me how because my teen males have a lot more clothes than my elder males.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 7:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Nobody makes things for elders, either. (

Somebody should have a clothing drive with the theme: Everything except AF!

Look up CatOfEvilGenius' stuff. You will have so much elder stuff you don't know what to do with it. https://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=685127
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#24 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 8:05 AM
My teen males have very little, far less than my elders (CatOfEvilGenius is indeed good to the elder ladies) but then I don't use nude/painted on clothes, hardly ever use stompy boots and no photoskinned clothes. Even looking on the default data base doesn't help much as most of it are not things I would use.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#25 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 12:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
No teen boy I know would wear socks with sandals. . .
Well the teen boy that I know best does, but maybe that's not so surprising seeing he's Andrew Jones from Veronaville.

Actually I think Andrew is quite right. I tried wearing sandals the "fashionable" way without socks last week. The leather strap chafed on my foot and I ended up hardly able to walk. I nearly had to go to the chiropodist. So I've gone back to wearing my Sandals the same way as Andrew does -- with socks. But then I have to admit it's a very long time since I was a teen boy.

Andrew of course agrees with the plea that more clothes be made for teen male Sims. He's spent more Simoleons on clothes than any of the females in my game, including his sports star mum. (All of them Simoleons that she earned!) But Andrew's taste in clothes is highly idiosyncratic, and I doubt if he'd buy many of the clothes that other teenage guys like. He says he'd rather lead fashion than follow it!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Page 1 of 4