Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#26 Old 12th Jul 2015 at 8:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Katya Stevens
Yup, TS2's adoption system works on a "last in, first out" system -- the devs (or whoever) thought that if a player lost some kids to social services, they'd want to get them back at the earliest opportunity.

Where does this belief that ACR just leads to a cheating mess come from? I love it because it allows me to autonomise romance (as it says in the name), allows me to be hands-off on directing when a sim will have children, randomising gender preference, check on a sim's One sim, check their fertility and risky woohoo percentage, and everything is customisable. Want a bunch of sims loyal to their spouses? That can be set. Want a bunch of sims who don't care that their SO is sleeping with half the town? That can be set. The only households that have had ruined relationships have been romance sims, and that's because I've let them.

Yeah, ACR definitely doesn't make all of my sims cheaters. I have it set so that it does happen slightly more often than I would expect or would have initiated on my own, but for the most part in my game the cheaters end up being young sims (teen or YA) or romance sims, with some other not so scrupulous sims thrown in too. Some of my sims actively resist cheating, like rejecting another sim who tries to flirt with them or kiss them. I like that some of my sims will reciprocate while others will refuse to cheat on their spouse.

I also love the gender preference randomizing, and seeing who the sim's One is. Knowing who the sim is most in love with at the moment helps me determine who to go after if they roll kiss/woohoo/fall in love wants that are not sim specific, and they're not in a relationship. I also love messing with Risky Woohoo, I have it set up so each sim has a different percentage chance of getting pregnant by accident based on aspiration and level of sloppiness. It balances out in my game, since I set it so only married couples can try for baby. This way, my romance and pleasure sims have a higher chance of getting pregnant by accident (unless they're really neat), so that they have a kid or more even if they never get married. Family sims also have higher odds, but will usually try to get married after getting pregnant.

It definitely puts my sims' day to day romantic activities slightly out of my hands, but I like it because it feels as though the sims are making their own choices. And plus, back when I controlled it all I made my sims have too many babies
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#27 Old 12th Jul 2015 at 10:23 PM
Sorry, I guess I've been misled then; I've only heard people say things like "I let ACR do the cheating part for me" and "I like the randomness of it; one day you are happily married, the next you're a playboy".
I do like the randomizing of sexual orientations though. Now that, I believe, I would love.
Theorist
#28 Old 12th Jul 2015 at 10:49 PM Last edited by esmeiolanthe : 13th Jul 2015 at 12:10 AM.
Sim Blender will also randomize orientations, and I use that function all the time -- I love it.

I won't touch ACR with a ten-foot pole because 1) it is a big, unwieldy mod that conflicts with things and has to be removed with extreme care and a lot of work, 2) it has no not-already-in-game features that I want besides orientation randomization (which I can get elsewhere), 3) it's a lot of work to get set up the way you want is (as Jojoa77 described), 4) if you miss even one thing when setting up, you'll get effects that I Absolutely Do Not Want (such as cheating without my express direction to do so). My sims can pick out The One on their own without me -- I had one couple do that when I had only base game and Uni! As long as a sim has a gender preference, they'll go ahead and interact in the background on community lots without me. Birth control is simply choosing regular woohoo over try for baby. If I want a random element of do-they-conceive-or-not, I've got a set of gaming dice, or I could download Risky Woohoo, which would give me just that one feature, plus there's a certain randomness built in to the vanilla game. I don't like the idea of booty calls in real life, and I don't want them in my game either, but if I did want them, it's called "Invite _____ Over" on the telephone. All it takes is a little imagination and interpretation.

You're not going to persuade me to install ACR, or to agree that it's a freaking awesome mod. If you like it, fantastic -- it can be freaking awesome to you and anathema to me and it's all good. I have made a point of saying this repeatedly, and I actually do mean it. But please extend me the same courtesy and don't treat me like I'm an idiot for playing my game in the way that is fun for me instead of the way that's fun for you.

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Field Researcher
#29 Old 12th Jul 2015 at 10:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by esmeiolanthe
Sim Blender will also randomize orientations, and I use that function all the time -- I love it.

I won't touch ACR with a ten-foot pole because 1) it is a big, unwieldy mod that conflicts with things and has to be removed with extreme care and a lot of work, 2) it has no not-already-in-game features that I want besides orientation randomization (which I can get elsewhere), 3) it's a lot of work to get set up the way you want is (as Joja77 described), 4) if you miss even one thing when setting up, you'll get effects that I Absolutely Do Not Want (such as cheating without my express direction to do so). My sims can pick out The One on their own without me -- I had one couple do that when I had only base game and Uni! As long as a sim has a gender preference, they'll go ahead and interact in the background on community lots without me. Birth control is simply choosing regular woohoo over try for baby. If I want a random element of do-they-conceive-or-not, I've got a set of gaming dice, or I could download Risky Woohoo, which would give me just that one feature, plus there's a certain randomness built in to the vanilla game. I don't like the idea of booty calls in real life, and I don't want them in my game either, but if I did want them, it's called "Invite _____ Over" on the telephone. All it takes is a little imagination and interpretation.

You're not going to persuade me to install ACR, or to agree that it's a freaking awesome mod. If you like it, fantastic -- it can be freaking awesome to you and anathema to me and it's all good. I have made a point of saying this repeatedly, and I actually do mean it. But please extend me the same courtesy and don't treat me like I'm an idiot for playing my game in the way that is fun for me instead of the way that's fun for you.

I've actually just discovered Sim Blender! I seriously have no idea how I have lived my life up until now 😂 Sim Blender adds so much.
I agree with you on the whole complexity subject; I can't use a lot of features that Twallan's mods have to offer for Sims 3, because it's all so confusing. Maybe I'm just slow, I don't know 😄
Different strokes for different folks is the key here. I personally am not interested in running brothels, do booty calls or anything promiscuous like that, but I have no problem if that's your cup of tea 😛
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#30 Old 12th Jul 2015 at 11:13 PM
I don't have ACR. I don't want cheating or booty calls or autonomous trying for babies. I don't want soap opera type drama all around. I see no point in setting up a huge mod unless I want all or most of the mod. I have Romance mod, Adults go steady, Risky woohoo and the Trips and Quads mod which is plenty enough for me. Romance is a very low priority of mine except when a sim is actively looking for a partner and then I am more interested in hooking up sims that I feel will blend well genetically and get along well day to day. They have free will on and plenty enough opportunities to flirt and kiss if they want to. Lol I prefer that they do that as they can't get pregnant from kissing. I have had at least 4-5 unplanned babies from Risky Woohoo in this new hood so far. Wasn't so bad in the old hood but the hosues here are really tiny. I even had a married sim bound up a flight of stairs to randomly kiss another married sim who was baby sitting at another sims house; that was quite enough drama for me!

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#31 Old 12th Jul 2015 at 11:57 PM
I love how many mods exist for this game, because they allow everyone to play exactly how they want to!! I'm still constantly seeking out new mods, or removing ones I downloaded, in order to make my game closer and closer to the perfect set up for me.

I was almost ready to get rid of ACR right after I installed it, when a YA Family sim autonomously woohooed three sims in a row, including two sisters who then got angry at each other. But then I realized I had an old version, and learned what settings to change to make it fit better with my game play. I can definitely see why it would not be a mod for everyone! It does require a lot of set up to make it fit someone's individual needs, and it's probably not worth it if you only want a few features.

I'm sorry if I've offended anyone or implied that everyone should the play the same way I do, because I definitely don't feel that way. I like reading about everyone's diverse games on here!!
Field Researcher
#32 Old 13th Jul 2015 at 12:02 AM
I've never actually wanted the triplets/quadruplets mod, my neighbourhoods are fairly small and the odds of triplets and quadruplets being born are minuscule.
How does Risky Woohoo differ from normal Woohoo? Apart from the fact that Risky Woohoo carries a chance of conception, does it have any benefits to it?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#33 Old 13th Jul 2015 at 12:06 AM
None of this offends me. People should play their game however they like. The only time I get annoyed is when a new player is asking for essential mods and ACR gets mentioned numerous time. ACR is a game play mod not an essential mod. Essential mods are to stop the game from exploding.

Now with the Trips and Quads mod, people that don't have it probably think (from peoples comments about it) that you have no control, but you do. When someone complains about those trips they just had, well it's because they clicked randomize. Perhaps it's because they have rules they set down which say they must use randomize, but rest assured those trips don't just happen if you really don't want them. At a birth you have a pop up asking do you want to randomize the number of babies, set the number or keep the original number. So if you wanted you could turn that twin pregnancy into a single or that single into a twin, a trip or a quad. When you click randomize you don't know how many you will get, but the default settings are such that you will probably get one or two. You can tweak the settings.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#34 Old 13th Jul 2015 at 12:09 AM
@Jojoa77 Upon a reread when I feel a bit calmer, I notice that I both conflated you with Katya AND spelled your name wrong. I apologize for both of those things! And I 100% agree that the best thing about this game is how it can be played so many different ways and be so much fun to so many different people.

@joandsarah77 I agree with your definition of "essential mods" as well. And thank you for the explanation of Trips And Quads! I don't think I'd seen it set out that clearly before. I mean, I hadn't gone looking, but still...

@kasparlaks In the vanilla game, a sim can only get pregnant if you deliberately choose Try For Baby. Sometimes they don't get pregnant even if you do choose that option, but they will never get pregnant from ordinary Woohoo. Risky Woohoo adds a chance that your sim will get pregnant even if you choose ordinary Woohoo instead of Try For Baby. You might consider that a benefit, or you might not, but that's the only function of the mod.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#35 Old 13th Jul 2015 at 12:13 AM
I missed the second question.

Also just adding, another feature of Trips and Quads is it asks you which parent will stay home. It does not have to be the mother, you can pick the father. I love that feature. So indeed you could use the Trip and Quad mod in the opposite way, to ensure you never have more than one baby and as a father paternity leave mod.

Risky Woohoo carries the chance of pregnancy and that is it.

~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#36 Old 13th Jul 2015 at 12:16 AM
Trips and Quads allows stay-at-home dads? Now that actually makes it sound interesting! Are there any other mods that do that, or only the one?

Instructor
Original Poster
#37 Old 13th Jul 2015 at 12:19 AM
I love the Triplets and Quads mod!! Though I recently reduced the default settings so less of my sims have triplets and quads, but that only makes it more fun and surprising when they do happen! Can you tell that my hoods are perpetually headed towards over-population? I can't just stop letting my sims have lots and lots of babies

I'm mean and make my sims go straight back to work after having a baby, so I usually just pick a random parent to get the extra vacation days.
Mad Poster
#38 Old 13th Jul 2015 at 3:54 AM
First, I've wanted that memory tool for ever. (You can look on the hacks you'd like to see thread if you want proof.) I bet all the custom neighborhood makers need it badly.

On the subject of adoption and ACR, one way I get babies for adoption is by risky woohoo. If neither parent is ready to be a parent, the baby goes up for adoption. (There is no abortion in my neighborhoods. All babies are wanted by some sim.)

I like to have a playable orphanage, and I like to keep the memories the babies/toddlers/children get there: learned to study from caretaker, got potty trained by caretaker, etc. So I use the SimBlender. I like the idea of the social worker, and if I ever find a mod that blocks the memory wipe feature, then I'll go back to putting the youngster in question up for adoption with the teleporter cat and having him delivered by the social worker. I just don't like that a child who has been in the orphanage since infancy and has all sorts of memories of it looses them all upon adoption. Since I can quash any romantic interactions with ACR's friendzone, I don't worry about kids falling in love with their parents. I try to keep sibling groups together, when I have them, so I don't have that as a worry.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#39 Old 13th Jul 2015 at 4:42 AM
I think when I finally get an orphanage for Coral Bay that I might do that method of adoption instead, as I don't really like how they loose all their memories.

I don't know if there is another mod that let's the dads stay home, for me it's worth using it just for that.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#40 Old 13th Jul 2015 at 5:01 AM
The one thing that annoys me with my orphanage is that my caretakers, both Family sims, constantly roll the 'have baby' want and never roll wants for the kids under their care.
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 13th Jul 2015 at 6:23 AM
Joandsarah77, the triplets and quads mod has two versions...one of them is random only. Possibly the people that think you have no control only heard about that version?

They should use The Sims 2 in psychology....it could work wonders.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#42 Old 13th Jul 2015 at 6:48 AM
They must be using a very, very old version since version 3.1 has been out since 2008. http://www.simbology.com/smf/index.php?topic=18.0

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 13th Jul 2015 at 7:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
They must be using a very, very old version since version 3.1 has been out since 2008. http://www.simbology.com/smf/index.php?topic=18.0

Maybe people downloaded the random only version on accident and didn't bother to read the text? A lot of people don't read all the info....and they should.

They should use The Sims 2 in psychology....it could work wonders.
Field Researcher
#44 Old 13th Jul 2015 at 12:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bloodstained_black_lace
Maybe people downloaded the random only version on accident and didn't bother to read the text? A lot of people don't read all the info....and they should.

Or people just love to complain a lot. I like the idea of randomosity, and set the chances super low... so when it did happen, I was rather shocked because I neglected to take the 'what is there are more than two' into account. For many people, the shock that this unexpected curveball generates expresses itself in whining and complaints, plus, people may exaggerate their disbelief on purpose for comical proportions.... although I know that secretly they take delight in frazzling themselves, and so are overjoyed to have a surprise challenge added to their game.

I'm a young adult in poor health, trying to heal enough to complete my goals.
This is the song that never ends ~ It goes on and on my friends ~
my first ToT Challenge (which is actually indefinitely hiatus, I'm in a different TOT hood now)
Mad Poster
#45 Old 13th Jul 2015 at 2:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
The one thing that annoys me with my orphanage is that my caretakers, both Family sims, constantly roll the 'have baby' want and never roll wants for the kids under their care.

I made that mistake too, when creating my orphanage. Then I read a thread on the topic here, and realized popularity is a much better aspiration for the caretakers, since they are more likely to roll wants to interact with the other Sims.

Thanks jo for sharing that trips/quads do that. It's been bugging me that it's always the mother who is given time off, so it'll be well worth getting it just to have the option of giving it to the dad

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Instructor
#46 Old 13th Jul 2015 at 2:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
to have the option of giving it to the dad

Just to clarify, it has to be the biological father of the child(ren), not just the partner of the mother.

Lab Assistant
#47 Old 13th Jul 2015 at 4:05 PM
Well this thread has been very useful!

I've always been a bit confused on how I should go about trying to play an orphanage. Just wanted to peek in and say thanks, all, for the tips!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#48 Old 30th Jul 2015 at 5:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nottakenaway
http://simmanipulator.forumotion.co...ory-manipulator
Googled it because I wanted it for myself, too. Eventually I found a link in a link to that link. :p

Thanks @Nottakenaway I only just now saw your reply.

~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#49 Old 30th Jul 2015 at 12:00 PM
I haven't had any Sims adopt for a long time. They have enough kids of their own. Sometimes I get a Sim to adopt their own illegitimate child if it's been taken away from the mother by the social worker.
Page 2 of 2