Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 30th Jul 2015 at 5:19 AM
I wasn't able to play sims 2 on my computer when I had windows 8.1. I upgraded today and for the hell of it tried to launch sims 2; guess what? it worked! I nearly teared up when I saw it finally play! I don't know why I didn't work on 8.1 but it works on 10 for sure!
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#27 Old 30th Jul 2015 at 5:32 AM
My windows 7 works just fine and since some are saying Sims 1 and 2 doesn't work with windows 10 (though most I see say it does) I won't fix what isn't broken.

My Simblr
He/They
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 30th Jul 2015 at 5:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DJ.
I've successfully installed Windows 10 this morning. From my first testing, the game doesn't work.

Running the game straight after Windows 10 installed (you get to keep all files and programs, if you install through the desktop notification in Windows 7 (and Windows 8(.1) presumably)), nothing shows up on my desktop. If I go to task manager, I can see the program allocating around 25 MB of memory, and then just being there, doing nothing until it's killed.

After I tried troubleshooting compatibility (by selecting Windows 7 and Windows XP SP3 later on - both unsuccessful), the only change is that this time, the application allocates around 40 MB before starting to hang and do nothing.

By reporting this to Microsoft (I'm silly, I know) - the only thing they did is mark the application as incompatible. Clap clap.

(I guess I was being a bit too excited when it comes to installing Windows 10.)

EDIT: I'm guessing people who have bought the digital or store versions of expansion and stuff packs can try following this guide. It's about getting TS2 to work on Windows 8, and could work for Windows 10 users also.

However, I don't know what's up with TS2 Ultimate Collection users. I haven't opened my Origin yet (and I'm scared that if I delete TS2 and try to reinstall it, it will say it's an incompatible system).

I have no idea why it isn't working for you. It is playing perfectly for me after upgrading from W7 to W10. All I did was continue normally by using the shortcut on my desktop. I changed a grand total of 0 settings and it works. No compatibility mode or anything, it just works after upgrading for me.
Scholar
#29 Old 30th Jul 2015 at 5:30 PM
I still haven't had the notification (W8).

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Mad Poster
#30 Old 30th Jul 2015 at 5:40 PM
If no one can get it to work, I'm going to start looking for a buyable version of windows 7. I'll just keep putting on every computer I get till the end of my time, unless EA gets on the ball and does a real, honest to God, updated version of sims 2, instead of destroying the franchise.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Forum Resident
#31 Old 30th Jul 2015 at 6:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by smorbie1
If no one can get it to work, I'm going to start looking for a buyable version of windows 7. I'll just keep putting on every computer I get till the end of my time, unless EA gets on the ball and does a real, honest to God, updated version of sims 2, instead of destroying the franchise.

How long is it till the end of your time? It'll take longer than that for EA to do somehig right, if ever.

Good news: headed home to install windows 10. If it doesn't work with the desktop I haven't lost anything because that's been giving me red flashing walls and pink flashing hoods with UC ever since I upgraded to 8.1. In that case I'll keep my laptop (which works with UC even on 8.1) on 8.1 as long as I can.

Bad news: I'm half asleep and just want to PLAY when I get home. So I don't know when I will be able to test those games.

~Someday my prince will come... And he better not bring all his hood's character files with him.~
@)->----- Place this ASCII flower in your sig as a thank you to all of our amazing moderators at MTS!
TS3 vs. Your CPU: The Solution
Shameless plug for my fledgeling Simblr here
Test Subject
#32 Old 30th Jul 2015 at 7:32 PM
For those saying Sims 2 won't work on Windows 8.1 - I got Sims 2 to work on 8.1 with a lot of patience, I'll try and find the tutorial i used so whoever doesnt update to 10 but still want to play TS2 can play it.

Anyway, I should have Windows 10 by tomorrow (I set it to auto upgrade at 12:00 am mountain time) so I'll see if it will work.. I hope you guys are right about the Sims 2 working on Windows 10. >_<

(please ignore my username, I was 13 and stupid.
Mad Poster
#33 Old 30th Jul 2015 at 7:41 PM
Nessabee, let us know. Applesauce, keep me posted, please. I have UC so if your game continues to work, I'll upgrade. Did it just transfer over? Amandie, my love, I'm 57, so I really am hopeful I can play this game till I die. As for EA, I know that's whistling in the wind, but I wish it weren't.

EDIT: Maybe when we upgrade and report back, we should all say what version of the game and expansion packs we have.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Top Secret Researcher
#34 Old 30th Jul 2015 at 8:36 PM
Apparently there are issues with windows 10 if you have an Nvidia Graphics card...which I do. http://segmentnext.com/2015/07/29/s...s-10-right-now/

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#35 Old 30th Jul 2015 at 8:55 PM
How do I find out what my graphics card is?

Top Secret Researcher
#36 Old 30th Jul 2015 at 9:05 PM
I don't know if it's the same on all computers but I can find mine by going to computer from the start menu/system properties/device manager on the left side/display adapters

My Simblr
He/They
Alchemist
#37 Old 30th Jul 2015 at 9:32 PM
I'm still testing, but I have UC. I upgaded to 10 from 8.1. I did not do a clean install. Sims 2 ran. I used CAS to make a new family (since I heard that CAS crashed in Win 8 for some people. I'll update as I try more things. I also did some quick things in Simpe, which ran fine. And I plan to test the HCDU and hood checker.
Forum Resident
#38 Old 30th Jul 2015 at 10:30 PM Last edited by AmandieLove : 30th Jul 2015 at 10:41 PM.
I've got an nVidia graphics card on my laptop. The desktop has an even older ATI card that lacks support even under 8/8.1. TS2 runs, just not well, on it, hence why it's the guinea pig computer. (That and my mom really wants her start menu back!) However, since I'm upgrading from Windows 8 Pro on both PCs, I should be able to get the pro version and delay updates. But still no Windoze 10 for my laptop yet!!!

Anyway, dad is hogging the desktop with Craigslist, I just got home after a 5-hour drive, and storms may be coming, so I won't be able to upgrade tonight. I'm just gonna enjoy my games on my Windoze 10-free laptop.

~Someday my prince will come... And he better not bring all his hood's character files with him.~
@)->----- Place this ASCII flower in your sig as a thank you to all of our amazing moderators at MTS!
Mad Poster
#39 Old 31st Jul 2015 at 1:28 AM
I read a better take on the issue here:
http://simscommunity.info/2015/07/3...-on-windows-10/

They all appear to work on Win10, and even faster.

I'm (or rather my husband is) upgrading to a newer computer fairly soon-with only Win7. He sees nothing wrong with holding off on Win10, at least for the time being, because it will be available to both Win7 and Win 8 users for free for about a year.

Which will be enough time to figure out the most important bugs and MS will be able to correct them. They've already released a utility that stops the auto-updating that many did not like because it could not be turned off.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#40 Old 31st Jul 2015 at 1:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by applesauce58
smorbie1 just to let you know yes everything transferred over i still have all my family's and stuff.

Cool Beans! I'm going to give it another couple of days to see what everyone is getting, but it sounds positive. Thanks for letting me know :D

Lab Assistant
#41 Old 31st Jul 2015 at 2:38 AM
I was very scared for a while, as I already reserved my Windows 10 and thought I'd lose TS2 forever(thankfully I have TS3 to console me, but still... it's a classic), or at least until dad finally buys that Windows 7 computer I've been wanting(and since I asked him for it on March, it won't be happening any time soon). Since I easily got TS2: UC to work in Windows 8(both 8.0 and 8.1), I think it'll work just as well on Windows 10. I hope...
Forum Resident
#42 Old 31st Jul 2015 at 2:41 AM
My TS2 discs took a little fiddling with compatibility mode to work on Windows 8.1.

The TS2 UC worked right out of the box.... or rather 12+ hour download without any adjustment needed!

So I think my TS2 UC will work. I can't test now because although I reserved my update on the desktop it hasn't gave me the download and install option yet.

Meet Me In My Next Life
#43 Old 31st Jul 2015 at 10:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
I read a better take on the issue here:
http://simscommunity.info/2015/07/3...-on-windows-10/

They all appear to work on Win10, and even faster.

I'm (or rather my husband is) upgrading to a newer computer fairly soon-with only Win7. He sees nothing wrong with holding off on Win10, at least for the time being, because it will be available to both Win7 and Win 8 users for free for about a year.

Which will be enough time to figure out the most important bugs and MS will be able to correct them. They've already released a utility that stops the auto-updating that many did not like because it could not be turned off.

I read what was said there that Window 10 work on all of Sims game, to be honest I don't care what they say there, it may work on their own computer OS don't mean it will work on someone else computer.
No one computer system is the same, it depend on the "physical components" in ones computer, why do people feel that just because something is new they must jump on the ban wagon.
Why would anyone want to use a new system that is still in a "Beta" stage? I can see someone upgrading because they have an old computer OS, but if your system that you have already can play old and new games and not just the Sims games, if it work perfect like a clock why fix it.

I have a custom made computer that cost me a lot of money to have build made just for games ( HD 3D ) I have Window 7 I ask the tech person who build my computer at the computer store about Window 10.
He told me that Window 7 is one of the "Best" OS that Microsoft ever came up with and that Window 10 will have to climb hills to be as good as window 7 his last words to me is "hey You have a good computer and OS. don't upgrade".
He said people will have lots of problem with Window 10 and he was not a fan of it. ( he is a professional Tech person who job is building computer system. )

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Mad Poster
#44 Old 31st Jul 2015 at 12:19 PM
The only real problem is that some users (like me) have waited forever to upgrade to a newer version of Win-and it's going to be an adjustment for me to get used to Win7. I will adapt, but the physical components of the machine will be able to handle the game properly.

Windows 10 is supposedly the final build for MS, from what I've read. MS wants to keep it as long as possible and have everyone use it.

The final Win10 version that is now available is out of Beta stage..it is the official version.

My husband is also a professional computer tech, with a lot of mileage on the Windows stuff. He says to hold off, because updates for 7 will be available for at least another year. Might as well try to squeak by on them before upgrading to 10. He should know.

As for the Nvidia issue: it looks like there is a misconfiguration between MS and the Nvidia drivers, so one should keep an eye out for an update on those before truly switching to 10. This happens more often than not with new OS builds. I'm sure that both companies are trying to iron out the issues. Nvidia does not want to lose their market share, and MS is the biggest computer software company in the world..it's only sensible that they work together on this problem.

After all, this is a big thing for MS, and they don't want to make a mess of it.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Test Subject
#45 Old 31st Jul 2015 at 7:06 PM Last edited by jinola : 31st Jul 2015 at 8:09 PM.
Windowed mode doesn't work anymore, it just shows a white window. Full screen works fine.

Edit: Full screen locked up my entire computer. I own the disk version though, so I'll try to get UC by begging Origin support.

Edit2: If you have the disk version and a proof of purchase you can contact Origin support and they will give you UC for free.
Theorist
#46 Old 31st Jul 2015 at 9:01 PM Last edited by DJ. : 1st Aug 2015 at 3:15 PM.
Update on my issue: after I upgraded (to get Windows 10 for free), I did a clean reinstall by downloading the installation disc, inserting it during boot, wiping my hard drive. After installing all the drivers afterwards, the Origin, and the 10 GB game - it worked, alas.

So, TS2UC is in fact compatible with Windows 10. It's just Microsoft's elegant tacky 100% working upgrade process that fucks everything up, then (I've had Office 2007 broken too - when I'd minimize Word, it would take 30 seconds before it crashed. No game + no fanfic about game's characters = an afternoon spent reinstalling everything, that's for sure).

Meet Me In My Next Life
#47 Old 31st Jul 2015 at 9:48 PM Last edited by Simonut : 31st Jul 2015 at 10:06 PM.
@ Fran H I am sorry if I sound rude here, but if your husband is a professional tech, then why on earth did you need to know about the end in out of Window 10 OS ? When most pro- tech would have the answers as to how the system would work with old and new games, therefore you would have save yourself the time and effort of going through what you have already been through with trying to upgrading to a new system.

Most pro- tech people keep on top of the mechanic of things related to OS to save time and questions. Now my Tech person Mike is not just a Tech Professional that is just one title he carry he is an "University Graduate with a degree in Computer Science and Computer Engineering". As an older man Mike has had years of studying in this field that is his MO and why people come to him and his business, so in essence if he tell me to stick with Window 7 until it is no longer around then that what I am going to do, and not run all over the web for answers.

But everyone had to do what is best for them and what make them comfortable and happy if the game work perfect already with the OS you already have, then leave it or move on and upgrade. Whatever work for you.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Alchemist
#48 Old 31st Jul 2015 at 10:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
I'm still testing, but I have UC. I upgaded to 10 from 8.1. I did not do a clean install. Sims 2 ran. I used CAS to make a new family (since I heard that CAS crashed in Win 8 for some people. I'll update as I try more things. I also did some quick things in Simpe, which ran fine. And I plan to test the HCDU and hood checker.
All the programs worked just fine. I can't get Body Shop to open, but it didn't open before the upgrade either, so it could be an unrelated issue. The game used to stall for several minutes between clicking the icon and playing the loading cutscene. I don't have that issue anymore, after the upgrade. So far, I'm happier with 10 than I was with 8.1.
Field Researcher
#49 Old 31st Jul 2015 at 10:25 PM
I got no issues with TS2 on Windows 8.1 except for the shadows (but I'm using UC).

But my disks wouldn't work on it, so that's why I contacted EA.
Lab Assistant
#50 Old 1st Aug 2015 at 12:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AmandieLove
So I think my TS2 UC will work. I can't test now because although I reserved my update on the desktop it hasn't gave me the download and install option yet.

Same here. For whatever reason it didn't upgrade to 10. Not that I'm complaining though, it might be a tad difficult to upgrade.
Page 2 of 3