Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 9:45 PM
Default Project Ü: My idea of a Life Sim
In past year or so, since the release of The Sims 4, I have grown tired of EULAs, DLCs, point systems, lackluster quality in programming.

About the time of my birthday in 2014, I got to work on an idea for a LGBTX-friendly, well-thought-out competitor that will not shill to the ideas I mentioned in the first paragraph.

Yesterday, I picked up steam after a 10 month inspiration drought and call the project "Ü", as this can be a self-insert into a world you can dream of.

I will strive to cram the discs full of themes that normally don't come up, like anime situations. But at the base game it will be mundane and fit the average expectations.

When you start the game, the town is empty. A climate of a temperate rainforest is set, so seasons and weather are basegame. It's up to you to set the buildings and populate the town with the Ü Maker, which can make families up to 16 people strong. However, apartments have a maximum occupancy of 5 people per family.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 10:05 PM
Project Ooh?

What do you mean by anime situations?

I assume you already read the other main thread in this sub-forum, so you probably found the link to the other thread. What do you think about adding farming - or, more specifically, ranching?

My MTS writing group, The Story Board
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 10:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by hugbug993
Project Ooh?

What do you mean by anime situations?

I assume you already read the other main thread in this sub-forum, so you probably found the link to the other thread. What do you think about adding farming - or, more specifically, ranching?

Anime situations, like magical girls and legendary curses and other iconic plot points. It would make it fun to see the curses.

I absolutely LOVE farming and ranching in games. It will go in the game. I was a big Harvest Moon fan when the GameCube was the in thing!

Actually, I didn't read the thread thoroughly, but the Ü is more of a You sound.

Still, I have tons of ideas that I will reveal over time.

This could be the next Kickstarter success.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 10:43 PM
That could be an interesting supernatural-type expansion, or even just a Japanese expansion with things like death spirits specifically for the people with Japanese culture or other things from there. Hm. Maybe my cousins would know more, since they've been to Japan and are fluent in the language, but I've barely dabbled into anime.

The Ü with an umlaut is a near-close near-front rounded vowel, pronounced like in Über. More of an "ooh" sound than a "you" sound. I can't think of a diacritic that would give it a "you" sound off the top of my head, but I'll look.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 10:51 PM
Project Ü: Tokyo-A-Go-Go, Baby...

I can at least credit you and your cousins for contributions. I have a vast expanse of knowledge on youkai and recently in the past year, the Noppera-bou became trendy in America, due in no small part to Monster High.

My knowledge on Japanese culture, both anime and traditional is not going to waste on this pack.

The Ü sounds like you when in words like Müller.

Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 11:17 PM
I'm not entirely sure if I can get them in to help. They're kind of estranged from the rest of the family due to their parents and I haven't talked to them in years, except for birthday wishes.

Where have you heard it pronounced like that? In any event, it's not in one of those words. I mean, an I isn't pronounced "ih" just because it's that way in "fish".

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 1:04 AM
I'm not entirely sure if I can get them in to help. They're kind of estranged from the rest of the family due to their parents and I haven't talked to them in years, except for birthday wishes.

Where have you heard it pronounced like that? In any event, it's not in one of those words. I mean, an I isn't pronounced "ih" just because it's that way in "fish".

Sorry about the family.

I had taken a semester of German and that particular character was denoted as having a "you" sound.

Can we please end the arguments on the pronunciation of Ü? This back and forth should be an agreement to disagree!

In any case, I'm converting my paper notes into digital ones to be printed at the library.

Field Researcher
#8 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 1:46 AM
This sounds interesting, I would like to see this come to life!

I am MOHAAPlayer on Discord
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 2:23 AM
In the past 24 hours, I came up with the basic pitch bible chapters.

I had also decided to make this an Open-source project. In other words, I want to undo the vicious cycle EA created with their lust for money and offer this for free.

But I can't do this alone. I will need everyone's help. I have no programming or coding skills, but I have intermediate visual art and design skills that may be of some value and a sharp encyclopedic mind on various life subjects.

Forum Resident
#10 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 4:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PANDAQUEEN
In the past 24 hours, I came up with the basic pitch bible chapters.

I had also decided to make this an Open-source project. In other words, I want to undo the vicious cycle EA created with their lust for money and offer this for free.

But I can't do this alone. I will need everyone's help. I have no programming or coding skills, but I have intermediate visual art and design skills that may be of some value and a sharp encyclopedic mind on various life subjects.

As I stated in the other life sim thread, recently I've been learning C# and Unity so I can topple the monopoly of EA on the life sim genre. As you can see from my avatar, that Get Together presentation affected me deeply. However, one person would not be enough. We need at least a few other programmers to make this dream a reality.

In Tropico 4 terms, Hint. Get a few other programmers on the project with your charismatic skill.
Forum Resident
#11 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 10:47 AM Last edited by Delphy : 9th Sep 2015 at 1:49 PM. Reason: Removed forum advertisment link
Double post since this is my idea.

An idea which I thought for a life sim, is that your character speaks to you! They still speak a gibberish language when talking to each other, but when they talk to you, it's in whatever language you selected.

Anyway, the idea, so just like in Tropico 4, is that there are quests/things you can do to advance your character! For example, a "I want to get Promoted" quest pops up on the right side of the screen. This gives the player the feeling of being their character.

Quest Name: I want to get Promoted! (Part 1 of 2)

Character Name: (With voiceover) Being a (job.name) is nice and all but I want to get to the next level. First, I have to make sure to go to my job in a good mood everyday, satisfy my job requirements, and most importantly, have a good relationship with my boss and coworkers!

Task: Be Promoted!
Reward: +20 happiness.

I want to get Promoted! (Part 2 of 2)
Character Name: Uh oh! Although I'm being considered for a promotion, my coworkers seem to be doing better than me. All I have to do to be chosen over the other sad fellows is to advance my skills even further. I'm surely on my way to the top!

Task: Level up your skills!
Reward: A promotion!

---------------------------------------------------
I'm feeling excited to learn a new skill!

Character Name: Do you feel that (Player.name)? It's my excitement toward learning a new skill!

Task: Level up in a skill!

Reward: 250 Money!
-----------------------------------------------------
And more life changing ones....

I want to get married to (Significantother.name)!

She/He is the love of my life, I want to to get married in a happy wedding to him/her. Please, oh please, player! I can't do this without you!
Task: Get Married!

Reward: 5% longer life
Mad Poster
#12 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 6:35 PM
Need any 3D Modelers for the project? When my new PC arrives later in the week I'm going to try and continue pursuing my interest in 3D Modeling that I had to put on hold since 2010 due to other circumstances, and something like this would give me a great reason to further my education on the matter.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 6:35 PM
@simmythesim
First, this wasn't your idea to begin with.
Second, I feel impinged that you say this was your idea.
Third, if you want to promote your board, do so under your signature, like I did.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#14 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 6:38 PM
@HarVee

Definitely need modelers...I'll keep tabs as I continue fleshing out the game.

Forum Resident
#15 Old 21st Aug 2015 at 3:20 AM
@simmythesim
First, this wasn't your idea to begin with.
Second, I feel impinged that you say this was your idea.
Third, if you want to promote your board, do so under your signature, like I did.

Whoops! Not to get on anyone's bad side, not the whole idea is mine, just the "sim talks to you" idea, also, I didn't know there was already a board for this project, my apologies.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#16 Old 21st Aug 2015 at 5:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmythesim
Whoops! Not to get on anyone's bad side, not the whole idea is mine, just the "sim talks to you" idea, also, I didn't know there was already a board for this project, my apologies.

I prefer the only 4th wall breaks are when they stare at the screen like in The Sims 2.

Mad Poster
#17 Old 21st Aug 2015 at 1:52 PM
I agree with that @PANDAQUEEN, when a virtual character talks to you personally or purposefully stares at the camera, It creates an 'uncanny valley' effect, and with the visuals of today characters are as detailed as ever which furthers this effect. If you want people to enjoy playing the game, the best way to do so is to immerse them as much as possible, and having the uncanny valley effect does nothing to accomplish that.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Forum Resident
#18 Old 22nd Aug 2015 at 10:04 AM Last edited by simmythesim : 22nd Aug 2015 at 1:40 PM.
Hey guys, I've made some starting progress with my noob unity and C# skills, I managed to make a basic career system working, it's very basic, I've gotten disappearing to work and returning from work working. No earning money and promotions yet, though.
Edit: I've gotten earning money to actually work! Here is my code, which since I'm a noob, could probably be improved further.

EDIT 2:
I've also gotten different careers and levels to work!
Here is the new new code.

And here is how it actually looks like in game.
Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 22nd Aug 2015 at 8:26 PM
Not sure it's a good idea to use Unity. I have a lot of trouble with Unity-based games, and I know others have as well. It often doesn't come up after multiple tries.

Forum Resident
#20 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 6:05 AM
Not sure it's a good idea to use Unity. I have a lot of trouble with Unity-based games, and I know others have as well. It often doesn't come up after multiple tries.

Well, there aren't any other notable engines other than Unreal 4 and Unity, and Unreal costs, I think 15 dollars per month? So unfortunately, we're stuck with Unity for now.
Making a new game engine like what EA does for The Sims, is currently impossible due to the amount of effort that goes into an engine.

EDIT: Checked the Unreal Engine 4 website, apparently it's free now, however, I've heard that UE4 has a steep learning curve. Regardless, I'll research into it, now that's it's free.
Forum Resident
#21 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 1:14 PM Last edited by simmythesim : 24th Aug 2015 at 11:28 AM.
double post since this is another quickie video showing the small progress I've made.
Video
- there are now promotions!
- there is now a job performance meter!
- a new notification is shown if your cym is promoted.
EDIT: Since posting so many posts for my progress on the game is a bit too much, it's now confined to this post!
August 24, 2015
What I did today was that I made a working button that appears wherever you click on the screen! It works properly, although I have no idea how I managed to get it working.
I also managed to get days working. No day and night cycle so far though.
The game now calculates the current minute of the hour correctly.
The game now calculates the current hour correctly.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 11:19 AM
> LGBTX-friendly

I like progressive rights et cetera, I have quite a few gay Sims, but I don't want trisexual pangender shitlord stuff going on in my game. I assume that would be optional?

> anime situations

Optional please! I want a life simulation, not The Sims. Just give me a bigger Bridgeport without occults and wacky animations and I'm 100% satisfied.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Forum Resident
#23 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 11:31 AM
Another suggestion here:
Animations and models take a LOT of effort, so why not go back to TS1 era where things didn't need to be as detailed and the camera is limited to certain rotations and zooms? This will reduce the effort needed for the game.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 12:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmythesim
Another suggestion here:
Animations and models take a LOT of effort, so why not go back to TS1 era where things didn't need to be as detailed and the camera is limited to certain rotations and zooms? This will reduce the effort needed for the game.

What's a life simulator if you can't step in and admire your world for a while? Call me crazy, but I wouldn't settle for anything less than TS3.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Forum Resident
#25 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 12:36 PM
In past year or so, since the release of The Sims 4, I have grown tired of EULAs, DLCs, point systems, lackluster quality in programming.

About the time of my birthday in 2014, I got to work on an idea for a LGBTX-friendly, well-thought-out competitor that will not shill to the ideas I mentioned in the first paragraph.

Yesterday, I picked up steam after a 10 month inspiration drought and call the project "Ü", as this can be a self-insert into a world you can dream of.

I will strive to cram the discs full of themes that normally don't come up, like anime situations. But at the base game it will be mundane and fit the average expectations.

When you start the game, the town is empty. A climate of a temperate rainforest is set, so seasons and weather are basegame. It's up to you to set the buildings and populate the town with the Ü Maker, which can make families up to 16 people strong. However, apartments have a maximum occupancy of 5 people per family.

Uh, since the people at the Doomsayers Den have convinced me, I have to say that I quit this project, first off, why,

", I got to work on an idea for a LGBTX-friendly, well-thought-out competitor..:" As if The Sims isn't an LGBT friendly game, except for TS1, all sims games have had gay marriage and even TS1 had the possibility for romance toward the same gender.

Second reason, "I will strive to cram the discs full of themes that normally don't come up, like anime situations. "
No, just no. Themes I would like to see in a life simulation game is in little amounts depression, murder, things you wouldn't see from The Sims, not superheroes.

Third reason. "When you start the game, the town is empty..."
This is such a horrible idea, the reason why there are premades in the first place is so that the uncreative player can start playing immediately,

Page 1 of 2