Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 12:03 AM
Default Do you have any special laws?
Do you have a set of laws your Sims have to follow in your game? Post them here!

Im my game there aren't really many laws. Here they are:
- The party juice and the bubble blower are considered "psychoactive substances", thus are illegal.
- The fire thingy (I don't know what it is called in the English version, but I'm talking about that pile of wood with the teddy bear under "Party" that burns) is illegal due to concerns about "safety" - actually, the object was a major part of a cult that opressed Sims for a long time (sort of like a KKK type of cult).
- No fighting in community lots.
- Known trash kickers will dress in clown outfits.

Of course, rules are there to be broken. My rebel teens have absolutely no problem getting drunk whilst setting fire to the poor teddy. Not that the police could do anything about it, I mean, they hang out in a place only they know.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#3 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 12:37 AM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 2nd Sep 2015 at 3:09 PM.
*Adult Sims with an unrelated Teen Sim must train the Teen Sim in whatever skills the Adults are trained in. (Roxas v. Pleasantview)

*Acts of God when filing life insurance claims are dealt with on a case-by-case basis to rule out foul play (Tobias Rich v. Oasis Valley)

*Family mausoleums must be maintained under the Organization of Apparitions Maintenance's code of conduct to prevent any deaths by scaring to death. (Nervous Subject v. Strangetown)

Landmark cases, I know, but great-grandfather Tobias was always on the run. Faking death was his specialty.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Theorist
#4 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 1:53 AM
-Youngest inherits*
-Younger takes the name of the elder at marriage, regardless of gender*
-Elixir of Life is illegal*

*Unless I'm playing a challenge with rules that dictate otherwise, or I don't feel like it at the moment.

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Mad Poster
#5 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 2:35 AM
Yes, but because I am a demonic and totalitarian overlord, my Sims are ignorant of many of my laws up until the moment they break them, at which point they are either punished, "disappeared," or "reeducated" in an appropriately Orwellian fashion. (or, you know, this might have something to do with my inability to plan out coherent stories beforehand, and having to rely on comic-book style logic to make my stories fit together)

Darkwood Hollow does have a few laws and social customs though- Vampires and Werewolves cannot be true citizens, and are limited to Criminal and Paranormal careers. The Davenport and Ivanovich families are immune from punishment (doctrine of sovereign immunity is in full force in this subhood), and while Sims can be introduced to magic as teenagers, they may not advance beyond magic skill level 6 before their senior year at the Stradivarius Academy of Magic (any Sims who don't attend this supernatural university are forever banned from achieving a higher magical skill.) Then, because it's my medieval/colonial hood, there's more commonplace historical laws- marriages must be sanctioned by the local church, primogeniture dictates inheritance, etc...

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Scholar
#6 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 2:39 AM
* Upon a sim's death, their house and money go to the next of kin who is living with them
* Upon inheritance, the next of kin is required to hand over a portion of the household funds to the deceased's other heirs
* If no next of kin is living with them, the house passes in the following ways:
** The house passes first and foremost to the favorite child, if said child is living in an partment or living in a house where they are not considered head of the family
** If the favorite has house, the eldest child inherits
** If the eldest has a house of their own, the house passes the next child who meets the condition
** If no children are living, it passes the eldest grandchild who meets the criteria
** If no direct heirs exist, it passes to siblings or nieces/nephews based on the above criteria
** If the homeowner lives no heirs and has no housemates, it returns to the community
* Businesses function the same way as houses inheritance wise.
* If a female is the heir to a notable family, her husband will take her surname upon marriage to continue the family name or they will combine their names.
* The above also aplies if said female is the last of her family name, unless she marries someone who is the last of their family as well.
* At birth, a child must bear its mother's surname, but from toddlerhood up, they may change their surname to that of their father if said father acknowledges them
Mad Poster
#7 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 3:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PanAm103
- The party juice

Which one is the party juice? The one with the big pineapple?
Field Researcher
#8 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 4:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Which one is the party juice? The one with the big pineapple?

The fruit punch object
In other words, yes, the big pineapple
Mad Poster
#9 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 9:15 AM
Do you have any special laws?

A constitution guaranteeing all my Sims "inalienable rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness".

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#10 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 10:02 AM
Two children per couple ONLY. EVER.

Sneaking in twins on the second pregnancy has consequences.

Every student has to do a paper every semester. They don't have to do anything else but they do have to do that.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Alchemist
#11 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 1:27 PM
'' Hey you seem nice have this super expensive TV ''

Nope. Give it away/sell it and delete the money. Oh, and my biggest rule, with no exceptions. A sim may kick my trashcan and have my grace, but if he or she comes back and kicks it again, risking my household of getting roaches, I use move_objects on and I lock that little devil inside a small room until they die of starvation.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 2:11 PM
Some of you seem to be talking about rules for play, and I don't think that's the same thing as laws at all. Rules are part of a playstyle, are exterior to the sims, and are enforced by player fiat. Laws are sim-centric, story-based structures which sims can violate and possibly get away with depending on how events work out in play. Freefalldreams's Veronaville is full of legal matters, including trials, detective investigations, corruption, and so on.

My sims get laws if I need them to explain something.

Because I'm doing an Uberhood Challenge in the Genderswapped Uberhood, the GSU has lots of oppressive laws that restrict the personal choices of the characters. It's the only way to explain, in story terms, why the protagonist is stuck following the challenge rules instead of taking logical steps to control his life. The Challenge requires that the protagonist have one baby with a premade in each neighborhood, so the first law is that birth control and abortion are illegal. Which on the face of it would mean that I'd have to try for baby every time sims woohoo; but I'm playing secondary families to a limited extent so that my protagonist (Rhett Hart) doesn't have the only kids who are growing in the entire megahood, and trying for baby every time would quickly overwhelm me. So in addition to "natural" birth control there's a thriving black market in rubbers, and every time I make Rhett knock somebody up I come up with some reason why he couldn't get them or the ones he could get were defective. I don't do pregnancy at University and universal abstinence isn't going to happen, so the three colleges have cultures that wink at the endemic rubber trafficking.

Since I'm playing with a male protagonist and the challenge rules require that he raise all the babies, the second law is that paternity testing is mandatory even for married women and babies are required to live with the father. But I wasn't prepared to take Penny's baby away from her, so the Paternity Police are only trained to use their equipment, not to understand its processes, and are possible to fool with a good line of technobabble, an alien hybrid, and some sleight-of-hand - voila, a baby by alien "parthenogenesis" even though Mom has green skin and pointed ears and the baby has S3 and round ears! This implies that the public schools are deficient in their science curricula, which goes along with outlawing birth control. And then I get to Riverblossom Hills where Jules O'Mackey is living with his mother rather than his father, so - in one of those complex and stupid legislative dodges that allows one law to undercut and even destroy the usefulness of another law (cf the entire US "child welfare" system) there's a procedure by which a man can wash his hands of his own children and legally abandon them and the wife he can't divorce. I wish I could say that this sort of stupidity has no basis in real life legal history. This has the knock-on advantage of making it impossible for Rhett to marry Gabby because she's legally still married to Alex Teatherton. And since Gabby's in education, the Universities are making up for winking at the rampant use of birth control among students by being very strict with their professors, who must present an appearance of absolute probity - so if Gabby wants to teach at the University level she can't openly shack up with Rhett, either. Meanwhile, I sort of accidentally let Rhett impregnate two other women in Riverblossom and the apartment I've already built him was straining at the seams at two - so I spin off a subplot in which Leona McGreggor, unwilling to share her baby with Gabby (who moved in with Rhett while pregnant and worked on her Masters degree, moving out when she got employed at the University), keeps her pregnancy a secret. As long as no one spots her while she's pregnant, or sees the kid once it's born, she keeps it, giving me a mini-challenge in the middle of the big one.

You see how it snowballs? Kids bring home friends from other neighborhoods - the Uberhood has a consolidated school system with all its infrastructure downtown, and the schoolbuses are shuttles to the bullet trains that take kids from the most distant reaches of the country to the same school. State-run bullet trains connect all the subhoods, with downtown as the hub, making it feasible for sims from Riverblossom Hills in the frozen north to come all the way to Viper Canyon in the baking hot south to kick trash cans or attend parties. And so on and so forth.

The laws make story sense of the rules and game mechanics.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#13 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 3:00 PM
The obvious; no murdering people, no rape, etc.
Though the game doesn't really have a feature to do these things... so... my sims just naturally don't do it.
I guess you could say 'every sim has to have a biological child' is a law, though my sims aren't aware of it. Carlos Contender (father of twin boys and another boy) isn't aware he has any children, and is about 3 days away from dying of old age, but he isn't running around trying to knock up a woman.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
#14 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 3:44 PM
I use to have all kinds of rules and laws but no more if its in the game and a sim wants to do it (in the wants panel) then they get to do it. (This could be considered a rule or law.)

I use to keep all sims alive and never let any die at all, not now I don't try to save them anymore and allow them to die as they see fit.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Mad Poster
#15 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 3:47 PM
Laws ? Doesn't the lawyers, mayors and superheroes take care of that ?
I have been thinking that it might be a good idea to send all my Sims for either military or police training - they were so depressed I gave up on that idea
Since I am building a new hood I might have to think up some laws....
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 7:45 PM
I am thinking about limiting how many Sims can be at the top of their career tracks -- only one mayor or education minister per town, for example.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 9:01 PM
If I get a second mayor/ education minister - I never have had that - I might move them to a subhood from now on! I think, though, a hood can have more than on mad scientist, doctor, lawyer and rock stars (plenty of all of those in the small town where I live )
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 9:12 PM
Yes, I do have some since I'm playing a kind of modern and not-modern (it does only makes sense in my mind) Monarchy.
to understand some things I just some-up my little story

There are three Royal families: The Swansons (Kings), The Shikorus (Kings) & The Shiwuna (Emperor).
The Swansons are the rulers of Royal Village (I started with that name and still have to change it), while the Shikorus and Shiwunas fight over Shikoru Island which led into the Shikoru Queen fleeing to the Swansons. They tolerated her until she started to claim part of their country together with her followers.
At the moment the olde Swansons King tries to keep peace by marrying the crown princes heir to the oldest daughter of the Shikoru Queen and her heir to the eldest daughter of crown prince of Swansons. So each kingdom will have a Swanson and a Shikoru on the throne. I just started to play the Shiwunas, which consist of the Emperor and his wife and his only daughter and heir who he wants to marry off as fast as possible.

- Every Royal and Noble will have to marry one of there own kind.
- Women always take the name of the husband, except she is the only heir to a title. If he is an heir too, he loses his status and the next in line will be the leader of his house.
- Men are before women in the line of succession (there nearly have been blood shed over it but since the oldest daughter of the Shikoru Queen is going to be a Queen by marriage she stopped her plans of killing her brother...but there are others who reach for the throne)
- Heirs of the Royal families are called crown prince/princess and there siblings prince or princess
- heirs of the noble families are called prince while there siblings are lords & ladies
- Male Royal bastards have the chance to marry into a high family but having to take the name of the wife, but it is more likely they marry a rich merchant/military/etc. daughter, female royal bastards (I only have one so far) are more likely to be married by a high born.
- Everyone goes to college since week 5 (The Swansons are sponsoring a scholar ship to their poor citizens)
- Farmers and other poor people usally have a lot of kids and don't reach the top of the career track
- Every royal/noble is in the Royalty career (I downloaded it in the German version but it is definitly on MTS )
- A King can take a mistress, a Queen can't (if she does and gets caught...you know how Anne Boleyn ended, right?)

Well you see: My sim world is hard and cruel, except you are a high born. Well my women start to take things into their own hands and there will be some killing in the next generations when the fight for titles and crowns gets worse with more and more potential heirs.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 10:55 PM
I'm planning to put together some kind of constitution for an up-coming neighborhood and then from that, add laws and such when necessary.
Field Researcher
#21 Old 3rd Sep 2015 at 4:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Two children per couple ONLY. EVER.

Sneaking in twins on the second pregnancy has consequences.

And if the second pregnancy results in twins due to completely random chance? (Warning: TV Tropes)

WARNING: Professional Lurker Alert!
Quote:
"Ew, trees [WooHoo-ing]."

-- "Oral Pollination", Not Always Right
Mad Poster
#22 Old 3rd Sep 2015 at 11:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Katerina Petrova
- Every Royal and Noble will have to marry one of their own kind.
- A King can take a mistress, a Queen can't (if she does and gets caught...you know how Anne Boleyn ended, right?)

Those are the kinds of rules that I can never resist breaking for the drama. XD
Field Researcher
#23 Old 3rd Sep 2015 at 11:58 AM
I got one but y'all are probably gonna hate me for it... I'll let you vote.
Top Secret Researcher
#24 Old 3rd Sep 2015 at 11:59 AM
The only "rule" I really have in any way is every Sim must have 1 (or more) offspring.
I just...I...I can't help it...they need nooboos to carry on their genes...and...stuff

My Simblr
He/They
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#25 Old 3rd Sep 2015 at 12:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by G-Mon
And if the second pregnancy results in twins due to completely random chance? (Warning: TV Tropes)

Lots of consequences

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Page 1 of 5