Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Oct 2015 at 1:58 AM
Default I just need to ask. How do you play without CC?
How can someone play without CC, i have the full respect for you and i really want to play without CC too, and i have tried. I have deleted my CC many times but i can't i always end up downloading it all over again. And the worst part is how much time i spend downloading it, and the time i spend deciding whose retextures to use, or trying to find out what mod caused the trouble , and how much more time spend loading the game cuz of it, i just wish i could stop but i feel like CC addict

I need a cigarette
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 11th Oct 2015 at 2:09 AM
Why do you want to play without cc? It doesn't make you a better or worse person if you use cc or not, in any sims game. Sims 2 I have 20Gigs in my old game and about 12Gigs in my new one. Sims 3, which I no longer play I had only about 20 files, but that was only because my computer or the game simply could not handle it. Lipstick looked like a blurred mess. So that is one reason. If you like cc, if your computer can handle it, enjoy it. It's free and non harmful unlike being addicted to anything else.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#3 Old 11th Oct 2015 at 2:42 AM
If you enjoy CC, use it. I did for quite a while. I could not play sims 1 or 2 without it. At first, I used a lot in sims 3. I kept having computer problems though, and I never knew when to stop. Once the series was finished and I got a lot of store stuff, I found I didn't need as much. I still use default replacements and NRAAS, but nothing else. The CAST system makes the difference for me.

Sims 4 is certainly unplayable without CC
Theorist
#4 Old 11th Oct 2015 at 5:21 AM
Not since shortly after starting the original game have I really wanted to play without CC. Of course when Sims 3 came out and there wasn't any it didn't feel nearly as empty as TS2 did simply because of CASt. Right now I'm collecting some stuff from the store (earning points from ads, mainly) and that will probably fill most of the desire I have for alternate content. To my mind, even stuff from the store is CC (just created by the devs, not individuals) so despite not using a lot of player created content I'll still end up with a considerable amount of stuff nonetheless.

More to the original question of how do people play without it, down through my Simming years I've seen a lot of different types of players. Some just aren't all that into decorating up Sims' homes or having a bunch of choices for them to wear. They go mostly go for functional. Shoot, way back in the day I saw some screenshots of what I affectionately call bean counters' houses and to me they were as drab and boring as anything but their efficiency was top-notch and that's what made those players happy. I like function but I also like form and the more curvy intricate lines and colors, the better.
Alchemist
#5 Old 11th Oct 2015 at 10:33 AM
I wouldn't even play the game without CC. What a horrible thought. That's why I couldn't play the base game at first when it was released; without CC it was simply unbearable. Currently I have 1497 package files in my Mods folder (4.81 gigs) and I couldn't be happier.
Instructor
#6 Old 11th Oct 2015 at 11:03 AM
Most of my cc are decor items or make up that I specifically looked for, so no I could not play the game without them. I actually prefer EA clothes and hairs so I have very few cc clothes.
Alchemist
#7 Old 11th Oct 2015 at 12:27 PM
I'd happily play without mods and CC if my game wouldn't kill itself after 5 weeks, and if my Sims didn't all end up looking the same.
And just for the record: your game = your business. Nobody but you should care if you play with CC or not

I played vanilla when TS3 came out and a bit past WA. Looking back, I was on the verge of quitting it when WA came out, because there wasn't much to do and there were only so many ways you could mix and recolor hair, clothes and furniture to get reasonable combinations. I much prefer hoarding CC in case I ever want to play a specific theme (mostly modern or medieval), than relying on the incomplete sets that EA provides. So far I've played two medieval-themed legacies, with different furniture and CAS items in each. If I had to rely on EA content, I'd end up dressing all my Sims in the same clothes.

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 11th Oct 2015 at 12:49 PM
It's like 2 games for the price of one! And when you get so good at the sims that you can put any restrictions on yourself and still have them millionaires in a few days it's nice to have the challenging game of working out what broke everything this time! Or that's what I tell myself when I look at how much of my life I have wasted modding these games since TS2 came out!

More seriously just be a little stricter with yourself. I'm sure you've noticed you use some things and tend to ignore others. For example I had all the stuff to kit out a hospital (or several unique hospitals) - did I ever build a hospital? In all honesty was I ever going to? Every time I restarted "with only the basics this time" I installed all that stuff again and again and I never ever used it. How ridiculous! If I ever do want it, it's all still out there, or you can keep them as uninstalled backups if you're worried they won't be. On the other hand I tried to play without my cute custom mailboxes and it was rubbish and I had to quit and install them straight away. I'm sure you could separate these two categories with a little thought and the less there is installed the less time it takes to do the bloody half and half thing (even more fun when you get to the end and everything's clean because it's a conflict between 2 working items........)

Every download spree, put it all in a holding folder. When you've finished, ask if you can even remember what these things are you downloaded. If yes and you still want them strip out every object you won't use. Don't want that as a child hair? Don't want the lamp from that set? GET RID. If this is too much effort, you don't actually want them very much, so delete! Then finally ask if installing each item is really worth the risk of a complete fresh start AGAIN. That keeps it all smaller and easier to deal with
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#9 Old 11th Oct 2015 at 1:00 PM
I can play without CC objects/ CAS, but not so much without mods! Although my Sims 1 game is completely vanilla at the moment.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 11th Oct 2015 at 1:05 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 11th Oct 2015 at 2:07 PM.
Whether or not you want to use CC is a personal choice. Some people just happen to like a vanilla game, or perhaps they have other reasons, like little to no disc space, or their computer can barely handle the game, let alone several GBs worth of CC.

I wouldn't like to play without CC in TS2 for storytelling, but I often play with little CC when testing CC items I've made. I've also played without anything but some mods and a few clothing items in TS3, mainly because I felt I could make do with the CASt tool.

The games are really full games without CC. There are fery few CC items that add anything to the game that isn't already in it, except for the visual part.

When you think about it, we're actually pretty spoiled for the amount and quality of CC now. Back in 2004 when TS2 first came out, the CC people made tended to look very bad by today's standards, and the quality was so-and-so. But now we've dug deeper into the games and found ways to make them do things they weren't really programmed to do. The quality of the 'simple' CC like Bodyshop items is much higher too. More people have learned to make meshes, and no longer use Paint as their texturing tool.

I think the question is a bit like "why have plain vanilla ice cream, when you can have vanilla ice cream with sprinkles and chocolate sauce?" Some people just happen to not like chocolate sauce (CC), and don't care much for sprinkles (mods). Some like one, others like both. And some happen to be allergic (their machine can't handle it, and throws errors).
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 11th Oct 2015 at 1:18 PM
Well thanks, i love CC but makes my game load slower but i still won't survive without it

I need a cigarette
Theorist
#12 Old 11th Oct 2015 at 1:53 PM Last edited by HCAC : 11th Oct 2015 at 2:08 PM.
I think the reason The Sims is still going as a game series is because of the generous mods and CC made by fellow players. I cannot play without CC or mods.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Forum Resident
#13 Old 11th Oct 2015 at 7:04 PM
Sims 2 always ends up with a bajillion CC in it, but my Sims 3 is always at like 0. I just don't need it. The only CC I download for TS3 is Mods, and I only get the fixers (like Overwatch). Oh, and I downloaded an empty Isla Paradiso or whatever it's called because I want to design my own Islo Paradiso. Sims 3 is very customizable with Create-A-Style so you really can live without it. It's easier if you have a lot of expansions, however. I look at certain CC - yes, it is beautiful - and I just think less space on my laptop. Some, if not a lot, of Sims 3 EP items and SP items are so cute it doesn't matter I don't have a million clothing items. I just like what I have. I think that as long as you have Late Night, University Life, and Island Paradise - you can probably survive without CC, haha.

I ramble a lot, and get confused easily, so my apologies to you in advance.
Theorist
#14 Old 11th Oct 2015 at 8:24 PM Last edited by lisfyre : 11th Oct 2015 at 8:40 PM.
In Sims 2, I kept my CC to 5GBs and under. This time around, I'm more picky about what CC to throw in there. I've recently started playing TS2 again and after the "newness" of playing it wore off I had to bring in CC - skins, makeup, clothes, build/buy, cars - furniture, deco - I look for "slaved" items so I won't have TOO many of the same thing in a kajillion recolours. Slowly but surely I'm getting it all back. Of course I have a better computer now than back in the day so I think I can have more With my new puter, my TS2 loads up in under a minute so far - of course I only have 2GB of CC ... so far

In TS3, depending on the game I'm playing, I have different CC in it but 1 thing is constant on all of them makeup, skins and hair is a MUST. I play 5 different games and the largest one with CC (store and 3rd party) is my CHallenges game with 12GB. My Legacy has 5GB, Play has 8GB, my EA Store CC only game has 3 GB, and Vanilla has none My Challenges game loads up in about 7 minutes and the rest in 5 or under.

As many have pointed out, CC is a personal choice. Personally, I can't play without them. It's your game, play it the way you want to

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Scholar
#15 Old 11th Oct 2015 at 9:17 PM
With the NRaas Debug Enabler and VelocityGrass' SOMPA mod, I have no real need for CC in Sims 3, anymore.
I just use whatever objects are available, and make them look different.

But if you're talking about mods, NO WAY could I never play the game without mods. Praise Twallan.
Scholar
#16 Old 11th Oct 2015 at 9:32 PM
i have no mods..no 3rd party CC at all...tons of store stuff but thats it...got tired in the beginning...when pets came out...of making sure it was
made after pets...then i just got tired of making sure mods were updated with every patch...enough was enough...
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 11th Oct 2015 at 11:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Alpal425
Sims 2 always ends up with a bajillion CC in it, but my Sims 3 is always at like 0. I just don't need it. The only CC I download for TS3 is Mods, and I only get the fixers (like Overwatch). Oh, and I downloaded an empty Isla Paradiso or whatever it's called because I want to design my own Islo Paradiso. Sims 3 is very customizable with Create-A-Style so you really can live without it. It's easier if you have a lot of expansions, however. I look at certain CC - yes, it is beautiful - and I just think less space on my laptop. Some, if not a lot, of Sims 3 EP items and SP items are so cute it doesn't matter I don't have a million clothing items. I just like what I have. I think that as long as you have Late Night, University Life, and Island Paradise - you can probably survive without CC, haha.

I'm exactly like this too. I don't use any CC at all in TS3; I don't feel like I need it. I use items from the store if I can get them with free Simpoints, and I add in mods if I feel like it would fix something that really needs fixing, but that's it. TS2, on the other hand, is completely different. I trimmed down my Downloads of all the essentials and it looks so tiny with only 1.7 GB of stuff.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 16th Oct 2015 at 1:36 PM
I used to play TS2 without Mods and CC I created in bodyshop.I use tons of Mods and CC for TS3 because it's actually unplayable without the Mods.I've had towns get so badly glitched out that I had to stop playing that game after the EA bug-fest ruined the game on me.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 16th Oct 2015 at 2:48 PM
I play with minimal custom content (just a few mods) and I know the game runs faster with the less you download. The good performance of the game is enough for me not to want to download a lot of CC, plus the fact it takes up gb on my harddrive. I don't have room to spare, I need it for my other games
Theorist
#20 Old 16th Oct 2015 at 8:25 PM
Ah yeah, the old hard-drive space is an issue thing. I always ran up against that with TS2 but then again I was playing it on something like an 80-gig drive and if it was over half-full it would drag my computer way down. I do not have that problem now, though, because I have a 500-gig HD and it still has 300 gigs empty. And I have quite a few other games on here including SC4 with at least a gig's worth of mods and Minecraft with who knows how many mods in it, Cities Skylines with a few mods, and a bunch of other stuff.

As far as the number of mods go I used a lot more for TS2 than I do for TS3 but some of the ones I use for TS3 are the really big ones like MC and Twallan's SP. The only thing similar I had for TS2 was Insimenator. I don't find I need nearly as many mods for eliminating annoyances for TS3 as I did for TS2.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 16th Oct 2015 at 11:37 PM
500gb is a huge hard drive! My main one is currently 149gb, with 81gb used.
Alchemist
#22 Old 18th Oct 2015 at 2:29 AM
u___u;;; For me, as far as CC is concerned, one thing leads to another. I might think "I need better skins", and then I'll go to put makeup on my sim, and decide I need better makeup. Then their skin/faces will be gorgeous, but not their hair. So I go download hair. Now everything but their clothing is bomb, and now I need clothing so they look good all around.
Oddly enough, I have no issues with keeping to the buy mode/build mode styles that come with the given expansions, but then, I'm also not much of a builder or home designer. My focus is more on the sims themselves, and holy crapbaskets I couldn't have sims I enjoy today without fixing some of EA's terrible decisions. (Horses with 2 sided manes? WAT?? And story progression...don't even get me started....)

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Scholar
#23 Old 18th Oct 2015 at 6:53 PM
Eh, I don't even need CC to get me ideas like I need more CC. I'd watch some LP and go, "squee, I want that haircut!" Then I'm like, dang, it doesn't fit her face. Time to google for another.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 20th Jan 2016 at 5:56 AM
I could play without CC, and I did when I first began playing the game and had a great time with it. That was around 2011, and I had a low-end computer that wasn't at all geared towards gaming at all. But I was stubborn, and wanted to play on that computer anyway. Now, I have at least 25,000 CC items for the Sims 3 alone, about 80,000 for the Sims 2, and about 15,000 for the Sims 4. I like to achieve specific looks for my Sims and their homes, so I can't imagine playing without CC for long.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 20th Jan 2016 at 8:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by christmas fear
500gb is a huge hard drive! My main one is currently 149gb, with 81gb used.

3TB is huge.

In all seriousness, The Sims series without CC be like basic package of an automobile. It gets you from point A to B, yes, but lacks customize-able performance settings, blue-tooth connectivity, and heated seats for your buttocks during the winter.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Page 1 of 2