Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Nov 2015 at 1:51 PM
Default Do you remember your first time playing the Sims 3?
Hello, does anybody else remember the first time they played the Sims 3? I remember mine, it was Christmas Day last year, and I was so obsessed with getting the game. I was so happy when I got it ^^ When I played it, I had no clue what to do so after playing around for about two hours, my female sim had a baby. I tried to build a room. I took a screenshot of the glitch after, but I think my dad deleted it DX
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 11th Nov 2015 at 2:12 PM
My first time, which was with The Sims 3: Pets on Xbox, I stumbled through CAS making my first Sim ever, Ashley Komer, along with a kitten Calico named Cali. I think I made Cali a kitten just simply because I knew you couldn't make a kitten in the PC version. Anyway, so Ashley and Cali got plopped into an unfurnished version of one of the starters in Sugar Maple Cove, and I showed my lack of skills in furnishing the house by spending all my money on a bed, stuff for Cali, and an expensive couch. It didn't occur to me to sell the furniture and buy cheaper versions, and I eventually sold the windows for money, saying, "Meh. Windows are overrated." I think Ashley tried to become a journalist, but I don't remember her getting past level 2, because I didn't know what the "Writing" requirement was. Despite Ashley's financial troubles, she ended up adopting a baby girl named Christina. I remember being utterly confused as to why Ashley was unable to go to work afterwards, even if she got paid. I wanted her to go to work so she could get promoted and get more money that way. Also, when Christina had her birthday, she was one of my few sims that ever aged up naturally, simply because I didn't know where the birthday cake was. I eventually deleted the file and started over.

Ah, twelve-year-old me. So naive when it comes to Sims.

-sbugg
(If you're curious on how to pronounce my screen name, I pronounce it "ess-bug".)
Obsessed with the lives of virtual people who run to scream at fires since 2012.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 11th Nov 2015 at 3:17 PM
It took me a while to make the switch from Sims 2. I had such a complete game, modded just the way I liked it. I finally took the plunge and I found a medieval world by Auntielynds (Castle Keep). I literally gasped as I wandered through the world. It's what I'd been wanting ever since Sims 1. I still love the game and the open world, though getting to work just right can still be a PITA. It's a beautiful game. I now play it only with default replacements and mods, no other CC. It's definitely high maintenance, but I love it enough to take the time to fix and tweak it.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 11th Nov 2015 at 4:26 PM
Yes, I was in HS and I remember playing the leaked version during class (because I left my laptopr on all night to download the game, lol). Oh, the good old times...
Scholar
#6 Old 11th Nov 2015 at 4:44 PM
Well, being the sim addict I am, ever since TS1, of course I got TS3 right when it launched. But, as jmtmom said, it couldn't quite stand up to TS2 with all the EPs and CC it had already. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was a pretty good base game, but by then there was more stuff to do in TS2, so I eventually got back to that one.
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 11th Nov 2015 at 9:56 PM
Certainly I remember it - it was this June. I stayed up far too late having a blast. And figuring out what works like Sims 1 and 2, and what doesn't!
Mad Poster
#8 Old 11th Nov 2015 at 10:58 PM
Feb 2011. Patch 1.19 had just come out and the Outdoor Stuff pack too. Remember the first Sim one created, A YA male named Dirk Tavesal. Dirk had aspired to be a scientist at the science centre in SV, but fate was met when Mac N Cheese was left on the kitchen stove one night.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
#9 Old 12th Nov 2015 at 4:45 AM
Release day. I still remember how much I was surprised when I noticed that sims have individual books and ingredients and they could eat an apple from their inventory. Then of course all the plants you could grow. The guy I created Heinrich Hurst was my legacy starter and I got all the way until generation 8 with him. I discontinued this legacy just a few short months ago, and started a new hood where I didn't bring anybody from any of my old games with me.

My avatar Katrina is Heinrichs granddaughter generation 4.
Scholar
#10 Old 12th Nov 2015 at 5:24 AM
It was....January? I was overwhelmed by the open neighborhood function
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 12th Nov 2015 at 4:12 PM
It was 2011 & I got it for Christmas. I jumped straight from TS1 to TS3, so everything was really new and exciting. I would play it for hours upon hours. Got even worse when I learned how to mod
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 12th Nov 2015 at 8:32 PM
I remember getting the sims 3 August 2012, I remember the excitement I felt all day because I had to wait till evening to get it, I think I may have watched many Sim 3 videos before I bought it. I finished installing the game at a 11pm so I could only play it for an hour. Then the next morning the first thing I did was read the whole game manual that came with the game while sat in bed. After reading it I eagerly started playing it again. I can't remember the name of my first Sim but I kept making her pregnant because she kept having boys then after making her pregnant 5/6 times she still only had boys so I ended up going on Google to try to work out how to have a girl. Once I found out I started a new game, I made a female Sim called Chloe (brooks? can't remember the sure name, something like that though), I used the motherlode cheat and moved her into a modern house by the coast in sunset valley, I played with the sims for a few hours and she unexpectedly got burgled while at the spa and I actually thought the music playing was from the spa until I got a notification saying there's a burglar on the lot because I was new to the game this scared me and I was too frightened to play the game for 2 weeks before playing it again.

Life is like a rollercoaster. It has its ups and downs. But it's your choice to scream or enjoy the ride
Cottage feedback- would be greatly appreciated
Simple Holiday House - great for parties and relaxation
Instructor
#13 Old 13th Nov 2015 at 6:19 AM
I first got TS3 from the Humble Bundle so long ago. I was blown away by CASt, but I had a hard time appreciating CAS because it crashed constantly. I was unpatched and on my old computer; first family had a husband, wife, and toddler living in Bridgeport. One thing I remember is that the game ran so slow that the parents could never make it to the carpool in time and always missed work, and they always got stuck in the elevator which made it even worse. I also had no idea how the birthday cake worked, I was so used to the way TS2 cakes worked. I accidentally aged the mom up to adult instead of the toddler to child. I don't think I played that save afterward, pretty sure I got a new computer not too long after. CAS also crashed like crazy on the new one for a while; eventually my strategy was to build a face I liked as fast as possible and then dress the Sim in game, so I never had more than 1 active Sim in the beginning. I had to reinstall the game to fix this issue for good. My first experience in a WA world also quickly ended in staring at my desktop. Wasn't the best first experience because of all the issues I had, I wish I could go back and get a better first impression of the game.
#14 Old 13th Nov 2015 at 5:03 PM
Odd question, but you know what? I don't remember the first time I played the Sims 3. I remember thinking "I should get a computer game so I have something to do when I'm too tired to study", and I remember buying it as a download from Amazon... but don't remember the first time I played it. I remember the first time thinking "this game is taking up too much of my life, I'm addicted", tho'. Does that count?
Field Researcher
#15 Old 13th Nov 2015 at 5:11 PM
I remember the very first time I played Sims 3. My friend went to live in another city, and she came to my house to spend the vacations. She brought her laptop with Sims 3 installed (until then I just had heard about Sims games, but never played anyone of them). Then she showed me the game and I really like to play it. And in these weeks she was with my I played with her save and accidentaly got pregnant one of her sims (I didn't know the Woohoo and Try for baby difference!), and my friend got pissed off because of that.

I'm bad at finding CC on my own
My simblr
I'm shy and so I might take longer to reply you '-'
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 13th Nov 2015 at 6:44 PM
I played it with my sister and we played the single mom's household, later on I played on my own and I tried to get River's grades up when her mother set the house on fire and she was the one putting out the flames, quite funny really :D
Test Subject
#17 Old 24th Dec 2015 at 10:24 AM
I remember I was pissed. I was very pleased from 1 to 2. 3 seemed to be so game like. I got over it in time though.
Theorist
#18 Old 24th Dec 2015 at 3:40 PM Last edited by lisfyre : 24th Dec 2015 at 3:56 PM.
Launch day. I wasn't going to leave my beloved Sims 2 (I said I was going to hold out until the first EP... right) so hubby got his copy of Sims 3. I watched him play for a few hours, then he said go ahead and make your sim and play for a bit. So I did... and played and played... the next day he went and got me my copy.

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Theorist
#19 Old 24th Dec 2015 at 3:50 PM
I remember my first couple of sessions I think on launch day...
My self-sim looked kinda like George Micheal, which wasn't what I really envisaged. I remember almost puking when I realised there was no animations to enter cars...how could they do that??
I also remember accidentally deleting the town hall rabbit-hole, not knowing it was a single object, and staring at the screen like "wtf? have I borked my game?" until it dawned on me....oh innocent times.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Scholar
#20 Old 24th Dec 2015 at 8:13 PM
I had my daughter in July 2012 and was lonely and bored and sick. We were having trouble of just about every kind, marital, financial, health you name it. My mom gave me $50 as a gift and told me to do something for myself. I'd been seeing commercials for the Sims 3 and had enjoyed Sim City as a kid, so I bought the Sims 3 + Showtime package on Steam. I took off running with a couple, Seamus and Nell who wanted to be a rockstar and a vocal legend in Starlight Shores. I even managed to achieve their life goals and pop the top on their starter house to add an upstairs. I felt so proud of myself when I finally managed to get them together and married, but I didn't really know what to do and where to go from there since it seemed really ant-climactic to do the whole family thing with them. This game really helped me to pull myself out of the deep dark hole I'd been living in. When I get depressed, I find myself reaching for it again. I like to keep things light, I tend to play happy sims who have happy families who are kind and loving with each other.
One Minute Ninja'd
#21 Old 24th Dec 2015 at 9:16 PM
I got Sims 3 in July of 2009, about a month after release with a $50 gift card I received for taking some survey. I had been a longtime SimCity player, along with the original Sims, then Sims 2, but had drifted away from it for a while. What I remember most after firing it up were first, the fun of the open world of SV, and then my savior, CAST. No more recolors! Easy decorating a new build! I was sold with those features right there. I've had that game open on my home PC just about every day since.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 25th Dec 2015 at 2:38 AM
I got the game 6 months after the release day. I spent ages trying to figure out how to plant plans. Sims 1 and Sims 2 has the same way of doing it. I still vividly remember how frustrated I was when browsing through every catalog both in build and buy mode.

I remember with much more detail first time playing sims 2. Even the hair style and underwear I picked for my very first sim family members. I even remember putting the flamingo light on the first house I build and being amazed how pretty it looked.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 25th Dec 2015 at 3:43 AM
I pre-ordered the game and picked it up on the day of release. I was that excited to play it but turned out to be an underwhelming experience. I had my old Windows XP to thank for that. I stopped playing the Sims 3 after some serious malfunction and graphic issues (I'm talking some serious nightmare fuel with dark patches over my sims' eyes and mouth).Thank goodness for the laptop I got for my birthday a few years after. I might have never given the game another shot if it wasn't for that. My second first time playing was a hundred times better
Scholar
#24 Old 25th Dec 2015 at 8:18 PM
I really only bought Sims 3 out of disappointment with Sims Medieval. That was an okay game, although full of glitches and bugs untill it got patched, but I really wanted something I could build things with, plus the character creation was a bit limited. So I took the plunge and bought a limited edition that included Sims 3 and Late Night, and I bought World Adventures too since that, appart from the building, was what attracted me: I wanted my Sims to have adventures!

Well,, you know the feeling of disappointment when a game won't do the things you'd like it to do.This was long before I had internet, and I didn't even know it was possible to mod a game unless you were some hot shot hacker/programmer. And of course the game was bugged to hell: I gave up on WA when if found that most often I would send my sim off to China only to find that she'd disappeared somewhere in transit, or the player interface wasn't showing up properly. I lost a lot of sims that way!

Really I don't know why I kept on buying the EPs and SPs as they came out, I guess I was hoping EA would sort the shit out. And they did fix some stuff, only for something else to not work on the latest EP. For example(s) when I bought Seasons, the skating rinks didn't work, and with Into the Future there was a problem with the Time Portal.

It was all getting a little old, and I was getting bored with the whole thing, till I finally got on-line. Shortly after which I discovered MTS and other sites. I don't think I'll ever have the skills or the patience to write mods myself, but thank goodness for those who do! As I found mods that fixed some of the more annoying things in the game, and found others that allowed you to do some surprising things with it, I gradually got more interested in actually playing again.

So thanks all you modders! If it hadn't been for you all that money I spent would have been wasted.

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Instructor
#25 Old 27th Dec 2015 at 8:21 PM
2010, I think! I remember it being completely unplayable due to my computer being so old and rickety, and I hovered above rabbit holes for the longest time thinking the 'interior' would load and I'd be able to see what my sims were doing. I was like 11, though.
At some point I actually did get it to work, and I literally stayed up all night refurbishing my house. It was fun.
Page 1 of 2