Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Nov 2015 at 12:50 PM Last edited by HWBandit : 13th Nov 2015 at 5:20 PM.
Default 3 Reasons to AVOID new patch - 10% performance reduction!
So call it unlucky but I re-installed the Sims 3 today as I also reinstalled my computer and ended up downloading the "new" version of the Sims 3 launcher.

Well this turned out to be a horrible idea for 3 reasons. Reasons why YOU should avoid the new patch too.

1. Every time you want to play the Sims 3 you NOW need to login and have the launcher PLUS origin running in the background.

This means launching the Sims 3 has turned into a 3 step process from a 1 step. (I feel there is a joke here somewhere...)

aka Launch and login to origin - launch sims 3 launcher - launch sims 3.

EDIT: You CAN close the Sims 3 launcher after the game launches - however Origin can't be closed (unless you do it via forced task manager). If you force close origin it will reload itself for a few seconds after you exit the game - so I'm not sure what actually effects this will have (force closing origin) on the sim3.exe file in-game since its clearly doing more then just launching the game. I've also noticed the Sims 3 launcher sometimes closes itself and other times stays open. Not sure why so random.

2. The new launcher will DESELECT ALL my expansions/packs when I load it when I make any changes to my Sims 3 doc folder - meaning if I don't recheck them the game would load without them - a nightmare of epic "save" proportions waiting to happen. I now need to check this tab EVERY TIME I launch the game. (so actually a 4 step process to play the game...)

EDIT: This is directly related to deleting cache files, updating mods and sometimes (this is random) removing/adding store content. Doing so WILL uncheck all your expansions/packs in the launcher.

I REPEAT DELETING CACHE FILES WILL UNCHECK ALL YOUR EXPANSIONS/STUFF PACKS in the launcher. Make sure you recheck them!

3. Performance issues. This is a big one that directly effects the Sims 3 performance and goes back to reason 1. Origin and the Launcher now sit open in the background (though the launcher sometimes closes - sometimes doesnt) and don't they leave a small memory footprint as they are constantly "working' in the background (such as downloading thousands upon thousands of thumbnails that will fill your FeaturedItems folder and origin constantly calling home).

EDIT: So there might be more to this performance issue, after some trial and error it appears Origin is well and truly encoded into the new TS3.exe beyond just acting as a launcher (which the game runs from now - NOT TS3W.exe like it used to. Now TS3W launches the launcher) as Origin calls home to origin during and AFTER game play.

If you can play disconnected I HIGHLY advise it regardless.

EDIT: I've also noticed if you login to origin offline and load Sims 3 - Origin might crash after exiting the game. FUN!

Unlike the Sims 4, the Sims 3 was not built to work well with Origin and more so the Sims 3 is not optimized well - meaning any further layers on the basegame resource draw just slows things down.

IF you can avoid downloading the new patch I advice doing so at all costs, unfortunately if you just bought the Sims 3 or reinstalled it from Origin you will be stuck with it.

I originally posted this on the official forums, but thought it was worth sharing here.
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 13th Nov 2015 at 12:55 PM
I didnt know at the time it was a patch. How do by get rid of it? I dont want it messing with any of my mods.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 13th Nov 2015 at 2:27 PM
Does it work to go to task manager and close origin while you have ts3 open?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Nov 2015 at 2:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by christmas fear
Does it work to go to task manager and close origin while you have ts3 open?

Regards the launcher, you CAN close the Sims 3 launcher after the game launches - however Origin can't be closed (unless you do it via forced task manager). If you force close origin it will reload itself for a few seconds after you exit the game - so I'm not sure what actually effects this will have (force closing origin) on the sim3.exe file in-game since its clearly doing more then just launching the game. I've also noticed the Sims 3 launcher sometimes closes itself and other times stays open. Not sure why so random.
Alchemist
#6 Old 13th Nov 2015 at 3:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HWBandit
1. Every time you want to play the Sims 3 you NOW need to login and have the launcher PLUS origin running in the background.

Aw HELL naw.

If you force close origin it will reload itself for a few seconds after you exit the game

Last time this happened to me, it was with a nasty virus that took hours to remove. Comparison is obvious.

2. The new launcher will DESELECT ALL my expansions/packs when I load it when I make any changes to my Sims 3 doc folder

OK so this patch improves the game...by making sure you can't play the game. Got it.

Thanks for taking one for the team, @HWBandit . Sorry to hear about all the headache and having to reinstall it, but it's very much appreciated to know of EA's biggest fuckup in regards to TS3.

One question: does this change the patch number of the basegame i.e. higher than 1.67?

Edit: they broke CAW too (again?). This is getting more and more hilarious by the minute (not for the folks who updated tho, my condolences).

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
#7 Old 13th Nov 2015 at 4:59 PM
Why is EA/Origin waging war on Sims 3 users and trying to corrupt their games and beak CAW?

Don't do this update. It's evil.
Test Subject
#8 Old 13th Nov 2015 at 5:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by stuart-grey
Why is EA/Origin waging war on Sims 3 users and trying to corrupt their games and beak CAW?

Don't do this update. It's evil.

sims 4 isn't selling as well as they thought - need to force them sims3 bitter clingers into it!.
Test Subject
#9 Old 13th Nov 2015 at 5:42 PM
Up until today, once I have launched my Sims 3, I then turn off my BT Hub, and my game works ok. I have just posted this earlier today, hopefully it might be helpful.

Just started playing my Sims 3 today, as you know you have to be on line to start playing, as you've to go via your Origin account. Anyway Origin have today changed their "start up". At first it seemed you now have to buy all your expansion packs etc from Origin, although you might already own your expansions packs etc. After several minutes I realised what to do, select all of your expansion packs etc which are already installed on your pc, then select the "play button", then your game will start with no problems. But you can easily end up re-installing all of your previous expansion packs etc from Origin, this to me, is Origin trying to "Rip-Off" people.

One final thing, since today, all of my previously saved games haven't been working correctly, which could be due to Origin changing things, so I've un-installed my Sims 3 and all of my expansion packs etc, and re-installed them all again.
Theorist
#10 Old 13th Nov 2015 at 6:00 PM
I don't want some company deciding what to do with a game I paid for--they have no right to stick programs or bloatware in my game. They should not be messing around with how my game works on MY machine. I should NOT have to connect to another machine before I can play my game. The day Origin got involved with The Sims the whole game changed.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
#11 Old 13th Nov 2015 at 6:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MartiniMan1069
Up until today, once I have launched my Sims 3, I then turn off my BT Hub, and my game works ok. I have just posted this earlier today, hopefully it might be helpful.

Just started playing my Sims 3 today, as you know you have to be on line to start playing, as you've to go via your Origin account. Anyway Origin have today changed their "start up". At first it seemed you now have to buy all your expansion packs etc from Origin, although you might already own your expansions packs etc. After several minutes I realised what to do, select all of your expansion packs etc which are already installed on your pc, then select the "play button", then your game will start with no problems. But you can easily end up re-installing all of your previous expansion packs etc from Origin, this to me, is Origin trying to "Rip-Off" people.

One final thing, since today, all of my previously saved games haven't been working correctly, which could be due to Origin changing things, so I've un-installed my Sims 3 and all of my expansion packs etc, and re-installed them all again.

My game is messed up too! Started yesterday. I get game freeze. I've gone for months without game freeze.
Test Subject
#13 Old 13th Nov 2015 at 9:32 PM
Okay, I have downloaded the superpatch. Now what? Is there any way at all to undo the update? I have the base game disc but most of my EP's are from Origin.
Scholar
#15 Old 13th Nov 2015 at 11:30 PM
Yep, definitely not going to download the new patch
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 14th Nov 2015 at 12:12 AM
Lol my sims 3 game is working better than it has ever had with a crapton of mods and no crashing thanks to all these things that spot corrupted files, the new patch would wreck things anyway
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 14th Nov 2015 at 12:14 AM Last edited by Mayor-Of-Mustard : 14th Nov 2015 at 1:42 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by BlaGGeR
sims 4 isn't selling as well as they thought - need to force them sims3 bitter clingers into it!.

That's cause Sims 4 is lacking more than half of what Sims 3 had in a base game

The only thing Sims 4 did better than sims 3 was CAS, Build Mode and the interactions.

The careers are even more of a turn off with HAVING to do certain tasks or you get fired/demoted. It felt like a boring chore, getting a job in TS4.

(sorry for double posting, i don't know if that is allowed or not)

EDIT: OH SH** I THINK ORIGIN UPDATED THE PATCH ON ITS OWN BECAUSE MY GRAPHICS SETTINGS ARE ALL RESET SAME GOES WITH INTERACTIVE LOADING SCREENS RIP SIMS 3

SECOND EDIT: ALL MY FILES ARE CORRUPTED AND THE GAME IS SUPER BUGGY. THANKS EA
#18 Old 14th Nov 2015 at 2:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mayor-Of-Mustard
That's cause Sims 4 is lacking more than half of what Sims 3 had in a base game

The only thing Sims 4 did better than sims 3 was CAS, Build Mode and the interactions.

The careers are even more of a turn off with HAVING to do certain tasks or you get fired/demoted. It felt like a boring chore, getting a job in TS4.

(sorry for double posting, i don't know if that is allowed or not)

EDIT: OH SH** I THINK ORIGIN UPDATED THE PATCH ON ITS OWN BECAUSE MY GRAPHICS SETTINGS ARE ALL RESET SAME GOES WITH INTERACTIVE LOADING SCREENS RIP SIMS 3

SECOND EDIT: ALL MY FILES ARE CORRUPTED AND THE GAME IS SUPER BUGGY. THANKS EA

That's what I'm hearing... people who get the patch have buggy games. This is really unethical of EA. I mean, really, really unethical.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 14th Nov 2015 at 2:56 AM
Weird... I loaded the game earlier and had no new issues. (Even though Origin patched the game without asking me...thanks for that.) The only issue I had was where the game reported a conflict with AwesomeMod, but the game loaded nonetheless. I had to switch from windowed mode to fullscreen mode and then back to get the game to run smoothly, but I've had to do that for a month (and I didn't play the game any earlier for months). I didn't try the AGS-like thing, because my main town uses stuff from all the EPs I have currently installed. Maybe my game's fine because I actually use Origin, and in fact have sevaral EPs installed through the program. I've always had to use Origin to play the game. I never bothered trying to bypass the launcher/Origin or any of that stuff after I reinstalled my game a few months ago. I put up with the launcher being buggy, and just clicked Play before it barfed script errors at me. If anything, the launcher seems to run better on my system (Windows 10). Also, I never used CAW, so the patch somehow breaking CAW doesn't affect me. I just wanted to post this so that people knew that there are people out there who didn't run into issues with their game.

I wish the best of luck to those who are having issues. Many of us play The Sims 3 to have fun and relax, and having your game borked by a patch is not fun and is not relaxing.

-sbugg
(If you're curious on how to pronounce my screen name, I pronounce it "ess-bug".)
Obsessed with the lives of virtual people who run to scream at fires since 2012.
Field Researcher
#20 Old 14th Nov 2015 at 3:00 AM Last edited by weerbesu : 14th Nov 2015 at 4:23 AM.
Lol @ 10% performance reduction. While you're at it why not just tell us there's a 50% performance reduction. People would be just as eager to believe it.

ΔΤΔ
Scholar
#22 Old 14th Nov 2015 at 6:01 AM Last edited by Elynda : 14th Nov 2015 at 12:14 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
People, I really do mean it when I said download the super patch. You will notice the link I provided is from an EA site, the super patch is on an EA server. Chances are they will remove this patch soon, to force everyone on the new Origin spywarez patch.

Thanks for the heads up on that. I just downloaded it and put it on my external drive. I've been happily playing the Sims since loooong before I got on line. I only GOT on line so I could download mods and CC. Thanks largely to MTS and Nraas I've finally got Sims3 playing just how I want it, I should hate the thought of ever having to reinstall and not being able to get it back that way!

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#23 Old 14th Nov 2015 at 11:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Maybe Moderator Don can ban this guy. He's been trolling all over the TS4 forum, now he's infecting here.

I'm pretty sure he works for EA.
Actually, Moderator Don is still the lowest of the low and cannot ban users just like that. He's not Tinkerbell.
And as regards the trolling: well, I am looking very intensely on the "trolling" post and so far it hasn't transformed into anything big and monstrous. May I suggest to simply ignore it for the time, just like I learned to ignore things in the TS4 section?
Test Subject
#24 Old 14th Nov 2015 at 2:03 PM
While we are discussing updates - and this may be appropriate - whenever my graphics card gets updated, everything in configuration is reset to the defaults. I have to change the video settings, audio (huh?), capture time, shop mode, et al. I know this is not related to Origin, but thought everyone should know that the slightest changes to your PC seems to upset Sims 3. I have an eVGA (NVIDIA) GTX 760 which gets updated frequently - seems like every couple of weeks - and every time, it resets my sims game.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#25 Old 14th Nov 2015 at 2:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Chili46
While we are discussing updates - and this may be appropriate - whenever my graphics card gets updated, everything in configuration is reset to the defaults. I have to change the video settings, audio (huh?), capture time, shop mode, et al. I know this is not related to Origin, but thought everyone should know that the slightest changes to your PC seems to upset Sims 3. I have an eVGA (NVIDIA) GTX 760 which gets updated frequently - seems like every couple of weeks - and every time, it resets my sims game.
There's a quick way to fix this with regard to the graphics and general settings. Make a copy of options.ini and place it outside your The Sims user folder before you start the game after updating drivers. Then start the game with the updated drivers. Quit it again and go into the new options.ini. Look for a line that says something like "device" and copy these numbers and paste them into your old options.ini. Save and replace the new options.ini file with the one you just made. This should restore your settings. This device line gets updated every time you update drivers with the new driver number and seems to tell the game that the whole options.ini file is new.
Page 1 of 3