Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Feb 2016 at 4:14 PM Last edited by MW_thesism3 : 16th Feb 2016 at 12:04 AM.
Default Bankenshima (Japanese world) - BUILDERS NEEDED!

This is Bankenshima, the first CAW world that I post here (I paused another project, Cosmópolis [thread later!]). This project is a huge city and I need builders to finish this world!

World's Description:
"Located near Chikuka Island in Nipan, this huge and gorgeous city is (a bit) pleasant and peaceful during day and vibrant and electric at night. You can walk around the streets of Kyushigai district, visit the great city’s Castle, relax in the thermal pools in the foot of Mound Koniide or even live in the calm Seichishima suburbs. This city also has a great educational system and good Jobs. What you want to do here?"

Notes:
- 125 lots, including 2 dive lots and (futurally) 2 docks and a secret Tomb lot
- This world is principally based in Osaka, Nagoya and some japanese suburbs, with a bit of Shangai and even San Francisco
- At this moment, it's a Town world (futurally a City world)
- The story of this world is in the later 1980s (in 1988, exactly), so the technology will be restrict (use tubular televisions and beige computers)!
- Great part of the lots are unfinished, because it's a Builders Version!
- Not all recolors and generators at this moment
- Currently using a modified version of Clear & Bright weather mod (by jje1000) with the University's weather colors

Your tasks:
- Test the world for routing and lag
- Find any other issues
- Finish up lots; I will credit you for your hard work!
- Take pictures. Tag as #bankenshima or #ts3 bankenshima for easy following! (but just if you want)

Requirements:
-Base Game and all EPs (including ITF)
-Decades(70s/80s/90s) SP
-No CC
-No Store content

Pictures:

DOWNLOAD HERE!

Also, thanks to @nilxis and @jje1000 for some recolors! :D
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 15th Feb 2016 at 10:25 PM
Looking good- I think that the world needs to be much denser and more layered- maybe with seawalls surrounding the city area and things like canals and more retaining walls.
Like this:

Even in the suburbs:

You should try making some custom world objects to put into the world! Try adding the monorail tizerist uploaded: http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=572006.

Do you have an overview picture of the world?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Feb 2016 at 11:14 PM
Default Guide Maps for constuction
Map A:

- 1 will be a Buddhist temple. Make a Pagoda with a big lake. Use lots of red, black, gold and white.
- Build shells for 2, 3, 5, 11, 14-16. A mix of japanese traditonal and modern architectures.
- 4 may be a criminal (Yakuza) hideout.
- 5 will be a Kabuki-styled theater.
- 6 may be a fire depertment. Use Edwardian architecture.
- 7 may be a public market. Use Art Deco.
- Finish the shells of lots 8 and 9.
- 10 may be an art gallery, based in the Osaka Municipal Museum of Fine Arts
- 12 will be an amusement park (Luna park-styled). Make based in the former Shinsekai Luna Park .
- 13 will be a University lot. Make it based in the Osaka City University

Map B:

- 17 will be a Shinto temple. It may work as an Academy.
- For 18, just change the interior.
- Build a skyscraper in 19. Modern.
- For 20, just the interior. Make it based in the Urakami Cathedral in Nagasaki
- 21 is a school. It just needs to finish the lanscaping and a running track.
- Build shells for 22 and 23. Also, a mix of japanese traditional and modern.
- Make 23 as University dorms.

Map C:

- Build two different pavilions on 24. Futuristic, based in the Universal Expo of 1970. This lot will work as a Seasons Festival lot.
- 25 will be an Exlusive Lounge. Futuristic outside, groovy inside. You are allowed to use the Erutuf's shell.
- 26-29 and 33 may be apartment lots. Post-modern, classy and expansive.
- 30 may be a salon. Post-modern.
- 31 will be a classy resort. Modern.
- 32 will be some shells for some RHs. Modern.

Map D:

- Build some small suburban houses (between 2 and 6 per lot). Japanese traditional and modern architecture.
- Use the small blue-roofed house as an inspiration for the interiors.

Map E:

- Also, small suburban houses (between 2 and 6 per lot). Japanese traditional houses.
- 47 may be a consignment store.
- 52 will be a Base lot (guest house).

Map F:

- 53 needs to look like a modern factory outside and inside. For the basement, something based on the Willy Wonka's chocolate factory. It will be a Tomb lot.
- For 54 and 56, just finish with some containers and car parkings. Use the textures of the criminal hideout's containers.
- 55 may be an industrial apartmet lot.

Map G:

- 57 will be a junkyard. It's easy!
- Shell buidings for 58-67. A mix of abandone 60s modern apartments and slums (wood, corrugated metal and newspaper)

Map H:

- 68 to 71: Art Deco.
- 72 to 74: Modern.
- 68 will be a resort. based on the old Imperial Hotel in Tokyo .
- 70 will be a lounge.
- 71 will be a really classy gym.
- 69, 73 and 74: The indoor needs to be more "80s-ish", very classy!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 15th Feb 2016 at 11:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
Looking good- I think that the world needs to be much denser and more layered- maybe with seawalls surrounding the city area and things like canals and more retaining walls.

You should try making some custom world objects to put into the world! Try adding the monorail tizerist uploaded.

Do you have an overview picture of the world?

I may not use CC in this world. The world will be dense, but the story is in 1988, so less tall buildings. Nice idea, though!
Mad Poster
#5 Old 15th Feb 2016 at 11:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MW_thesism3
I may not use CC in this world. The world will be dense, but the story is in 1988, so less tall buildings. Nice idea, though!

Japan was already that dense way back in the 80s, starting even from the 60s.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 15th Feb 2016 at 11:51 PM
Japan was already that dense way back in the 80s, starting even from the 60s.

Did U thind that's a good idea increase the lot number?
Mad Poster
#7 Old 16th Feb 2016 at 2:03 AM
Keep your lot count the same, but I would suggest using more objects to create the sensation of a more-built up world.

For example, you could integrate the subway system into a series of railway tracks that loop around the island, and have tons of overpasses like this all around the city area.

Another instance could be creating canals around the world.

And using different elevations for lots.

These will help spread your lots out in the world- and help make it feel bigger without increasing the lot count. A good example is Bridgeport- it only has around 100 lots, but they use a lot of objects that help break up your line of sight and make the city feel much larger than it really is.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 16th Feb 2016 at 12:44 PM Last edited by MW_thesism3 : 16th Feb 2016 at 3:44 PM.
Really liked these ideas! I can do this using the Ambitions trails and the ITF zephyr's columns or the WA train bridge.
Test Subject
#9 Old 17th Feb 2016 at 1:02 PM
I like the buildings you've made, like the distressed concrete apartments and the more traditional houses. I feel that some of the brick buildings look a little out of place and too Western, like the town hall rabbit hole and the building in the fourth image down (the one with the statues outside). The town hall especially would look better if you built something more modern with the rabbithole in the basement or use rabbithole rugs. Here are some images of Japanese town halls.

Also, can I ask why you're planning to use Edwardian architecture for the fire station? Are you basing it on a real life Japanese fire station? It's not a building style I recall seeing in Japan.
Theorist
#10 Old 17th Feb 2016 at 3:29 PM
Looking good. It does look rather European in places though, it's true. But still it's impressive.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Mad Poster
#11 Old 17th Feb 2016 at 3:38 PM
Really liked these ideas! I can do this using the Ambitions trails and the ITF zephyr's columns or the WA train bridge.

Yeah one thing about Japan is the crazy amount of infrastructure around there. There should be more concrete than trees in most downtown places!

Quote: Originally posted by Rowanrower
I like the buildings you've made, like the distressed concrete apartments and the more traditional houses. I feel that some of the brick buildings look a little out of place and too Western, like the town hall rabbit hole and the building in the fourth image down (the one with the statues outside).

Japan actually does have a few Edwardian buildings around from the Meiji era, but most of them have been torn down. I.e.

I would suggest recoloring the city hall and replacing all other brick buildings with modern concrete ones.
Test Subject
#12 Old 17th Feb 2016 at 5:09 PM
Yeah one thing about Japan is the crazy amount of infrastructure around there. There should be more concrete than trees in most downtown places!

Japan actually does have a few Edwardian buildings around from the Meiji era, but most of them have been torn down. I.e.

I would suggest recoloring the city hall and replacing all other brick buildings with modern concrete ones.

Interesting! I stayed in Japan for a year but I never saw anything like that. There must not be very many left. There don't seem to be that many old buildings left around in Japan, which makes sense due to the earthquakes -- I can't image big brick buildings are very practical for that.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 17th Feb 2016 at 6:35 PM

I made this building for Kyushigai district (RH recolor not done). It's based on the Osaka City Public Hall (an events center). It will be the city's Opera House.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 17th Feb 2016 at 7:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rowanrower
I like the buildings you've made, like the distressed concrete apartments and the more traditional houses. I feel that some of the brick buildings look a little out of place and too Western, like the town hall rabbit hole and the building in the fourth image down (the one with the statues outside). The town hall especially would look better if you built something more modern with the rabbithole in the basement or use rabbithole rugs. Here are some images of Japanese town halls.

Also, can I ask why you're planning to use Edwardian architecture for the fire station? Are you basing it on a real life Japanese fire station? It's not a building style I recall seeing in Japan.

I had the idea to mix the old Manchester Fire Department and the Matsuya Dept. Store in Tokyo. But you can make it based on the Tokyo Fire Department's main building, it'll look much better! Do you want to build it?

Also, the building in the fourth picture is based on the Urakami Cathedral in Nagasaki.
Test Subject
#15 Old 17th Feb 2016 at 8:48 PM
I had the idea to mix the old Manchester Fire Department and the Matsuya Dept. Store in Tokyo. But you can make it based on the Tokyo Fire Department's main building, it'll look much better! Do you want to build it?

Also, the building in the fourth picture is based on the Urakami Cathedral in Nagasaki.

I see. I think the style of the Manchester Fire Department just looks too English to fit in to a modern Japanese city. The Matsuya Department store is a little less ornate but clearly European inspired but I'm not it would fit for a practical building like a fire station. All the Japanese fire station images I can find on google are basically modern concrete slabs - not very pretty but it's the style I'm used to in Japan.

And sorry but I don't think I can make it. I'm only a beginning builder and I don't think I'd be able to make anything good. Sorry
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 18th Feb 2016 at 2:51 AM
Does anyone want to build for this world? If u want, say to me what one(s) you choose.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 20th Feb 2016 at 2:50 PM
For anyone who wants to edit some lots, here are some pics of (almost) finished shells for Kyushigai district.
Tell me what lot you want to edit and I will upload its shell base!

A4 (Yakuza hideout):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4...iew?usp=sharing

A5 (Kabuki theater house):

A6 (fire department):

A14 (apartment lot):
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 26th Feb 2016 at 2:23 AM
I'm a bit fustrated because (aparently) no one wants to build for Bankenshima (One of the intentions to post this version were for people help me to finish thius project).

Well, I gave some advances.

Kyushigai district ==> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4...iew?usp=sharing
Nyushiti district ===> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4...iew?usp=sharing

Mayor's mansion ===> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4...iew?usp=sharing
==> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4...iew?usp=sharing
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 26th Feb 2016 at 4:51 PM
I think people are just busy And it is a very new thread, so I'm sure some will offer it eventually
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 26th Feb 2016 at 8:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by baskerwil
I think people are just busy And it is a very new thread, so I'm sure some will offer it eventually

Okay, then!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 18th Mar 2016 at 2:09 AM
A little upgrade in Bankenshima:

Okaneshima district. A disco club, a Spa/Books RH with a gym, Taitei Hotel (a resort - unfinished) and two unfinished houses.

Changed the Theater lot. I did it to make the world much more dense.

The Golden Temple. Based in the Goled Pavilion in Kyoto .

The University in the middle of many skyscrapers.

The City Hall is now externally done!

An verview of Kyushigai and Okeneshima from Mound Koniide.

See more at my Tumblr!
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 18th Mar 2016 at 9:22 AM
A little upgrade in Bankenshima:

Okaneshima district. A disco club, a Spa/Books RH with a gym, Taitei Hotel (a resort - unfinished) and two unfinished houses.

Changed the Theater lot. I did it to make the world much more dense.

The Golden Temple. Based in the Goled Pavilion in Kyoto .

The University in the middle of many skyscrapers.

The City Hall is now externally done!

An verview of Kyushigai and Okeneshima from Mound Koniide.

See more at my Tumblr!

Looks great!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 2nd Oct 2016 at 8:42 PM
Back to work in Bankenshima!

I've stopped for a while 'cause I were finishing the first version of Cosmópolis (that I were working for two years!)

I've changed the City Chambling for a bigger one.

I've found some pictures of some japanese city halls built in the early 20th Century (mainly Taishō and early Shōwa periods). Some common traits of these city halls is the really tall tower in the central block, two or more periferical blocks, mainly Art Deco-ish architecture, ornamented entries and sometimes a copper dome.

Some more little progress
Instructor
#24 Old 3rd Oct 2016 at 10:21 AM
I am using Ocean View found here: http://createaworldblog.tumblr.com/ and editing the lots to make it a small Japan island essentially representing cities and countryside in one small place (as I would use many worlds representing different places in the world in my gameplay, so have to keep worlds small to prevent bloating up the game) So far progress is good thanks to inspirations ) And my suggestions go like this:
- Currently it looks too European. Go for grey, white concrete walls (without too much complex building structure). Textures on wall can make the buildings not like boxes
- If you have Roaring Heights the faux skyscraper tops can help create that kind of Japanese feeling
- Agree that concrete is abundant in Japan. Add in more parking lots as they make it look realistic. Vending machines also.
- Add in a big park because that's very common in Japan (like the greening is concentrated there)
- If possible should have some more reclaiming walls because reclamation is common I believe
- I built a Japanese castle and so you might want to think of adding one too, right now traditional buildings seem few
Mad Poster
#25 Old 7th Oct 2016 at 3:58 PM
The world's looking good, but I'm not getting Japanese vibes. It doesn't look Japanese enough, it's not dense enough. Needs more concrete etc.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Page 1 of 3