Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Mar 2016 at 9:49 PM
Default gender
this thread is about which gender we play with (and/or create) in this game and/or the other versions.

me, I generally try to make both genders equal to each other; and generally play all playable characters/households.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 22nd Mar 2016 at 9:57 PM
I think I play slightly more males than females. Its almost an equal number, but still I prefer playing males than to females.
They seem more chill, at least the ones I have in my game!
Scholar
#3 Old 22nd Mar 2016 at 10:09 PM
When I started playing Sims 2, I tried both genders equally, and ran several 'normal' (whatever that may mean) households, as in married mixed-gender couples. However, in a few months, I found out that whereas a female will go on without complaint, even if three of her motives start failing, most males - even with exactly the same personality as their female counterparts - would stop and complain loudly, even if only one motive looks close to reaching the halfway point. Most male sims are p***ies.

As a result I play mostly lesbian couples now. With TJ's Preg4All and my own "P4A - Alien Trigger Override" as facilitators, they can have kids, provided one of them gets abducted at least once, or that they amass sufficient aspiration points to buy a gender switch token from my "Reward Catalog" mod for one of them. Any male kids they have, are played normally. But if they start to annoy me at any point (not all of them do), they may end up joining the Townie pool. I *do* have a few charming Romance males, though.

In many other games, I play mostly females too. Examples are Arcanum and Titan Quest. I prefer looking at the backside of a female avatar over watching a male's ass. Hehehe
Field Researcher
#4 Old 22nd Mar 2016 at 10:27 PM
The complainy-male-sim thing actually seems pretty realistic, BoilingOil.

My BACC for some reason has way more born in game male sims than females. I only manipulated it with one (admittedly largeish) family because I thought it would be hilarious for the single female romance sim to keep getting pregnant, oops, and end up raising a houseful of boys. She tried getting a boyfriend to help with the load but he got sick of her sleeping around and left, so she married a new guy who hasn't yet noticed that she keeps having other people's kids.

So sometimes for story purposes I'll manipulate genders but as far as gameplay I don't really care.

Sometimes my sims have really strong opinions about what gender of kid they want! But that's their problem, usually.
Link Ninja
#5 Old 22nd Mar 2016 at 11:01 PM
My hood is pretty equal across the playable sims as far as their gender, now all households may not be. A majority of them contain the 'nuclear' family but I have single sims, gay and lesbian sims and then the all girl dorms and all boy dorms which are fun to play a bunch of the same gender in different ways. The dorm girls go out in groups to the gym to gain body points, or go ice skating when winter hits and a bunch roll wants to go ice skating. The boys go out to the campus 'Pub crawl' which is a lot consisting of different types of bars and themes, or they have pool parties (they're dorm is lucky enough to have a pool), or invite the girls over and everyone starts a study group.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Forum Resident
#6 Old 22nd Mar 2016 at 11:33 PM
I love the lady sims because there are so many beautiful clothing options for them. Unfortunately, it just didn't work.

Each time I play an ordinary neighborhood, I got bored to tears. Even with decent storyline ideas, the normal relationships weren't interesting to me at all. So now I do all gay/yaoi pairings in my hood. All my playable sims in one hood are male and that's the oldest neighborhood I have. I got familiar with PregForAll (just like BoilingOil mentioned).

I do play with the ladies occasionally, but it's usually when I feel like dressing up my townies.

For my physical health, I can't eat cheesecake everyday.
For my mental health, I imagine eating cheesecake everyday.
It's a delicate balance.
Instructor
#7 Old 22nd Mar 2016 at 11:43 PM
I am a CC addict and most of the CC is for females, so in the past i mostly made females and paired them with a random townie, but lately i have installed a lot of male CC and playing with them.

I need a cigarette
Test Subject
#8 Old 22nd Mar 2016 at 11:52 PM
my hood started out with 4 males and 4 females 5-6 years ago, I dont have a prefered gender as I take what sims give me to play with, one time a family got 4 boys and I was like it would be nice if they get a girl, the 5th child was also a boy so it was jinxed and also their fate and I learned just to play with what offspring they give me
Alchemist
#9 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 12:38 AM
I try to keep things equal. If the hood shifts too heavily toward one gender, I'll make a few Sims in CAS to even things back out.
Scholar
#10 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 12:41 AM
I have better content and CC for girls than I do guys...it must be a Barbie thing lol I always loved Barbies and all the clothes and sets and little houses...so my Sims are an extension of that. The men end up...boring...like Ken .

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Scholar
#11 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 1:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by yellan
The complainy-male-sim thing actually seems pretty realistic, BoilingOil.

Oh, I'm sure you're right. But that doesn't mean I have to take that kind of crap in my game, hehehehe...

I'll have more reasons for not being very keen on the males. When a sim is doing pottery or flower arranging or sewing stuff, you'll hear them talk to themselves, right? I don't mind hearing the females, but most male voices sound like whiny wimps... grating voices á la Dr. Rodney McKay (eeeewww).

And, as I said: females are more pleasing (for me as a man) to look at. And indeed, also the CC thing... more interesting hairs and attire for the babes than for the dudes. Yeah, I'm a lil sexist that way, so sue me! LOL

(haha, Babes and Dudes. I once had a Romance male turned Grilled Cheese who ended up pregnant. He had twins - a boy and a girl - which he named Dude and Babe :-)
Field Researcher
#12 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 2:31 AM
Yeah, it was nice when they had that all about men theme here a while back to even things up a little bit.

Although, if they had as much awesome clothes and hairs for men as for women, my downloads folder would be twice as big, so there is that.

Totally know what you mean about the voices too... it doesn't bother me in Sims2 but I have an rpg on my tablet that I made a male and a female character cause balance or something, and I damn near nuked the male because his voice sounded so dorky and annoying.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 3:56 AM
I usually just play what the game gives me. I don't create Sims in CAS, my Sims are all the descendants of the Pleasantview pre-mades. Whenever a nooboo is born, whatever gender it is, is what I have. No exiting without saving, so if a Sim has eight boys in a row (I'm looking at you, Brandi Broke), then so be it. ACR decides who is gay or straight, not me.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 5:01 AM
Kynareth Valley is made up mostly of female sims that are lesbian or bi, so there's no male playables right now. The male sims of the town are going to be gay or bi, so there aren't going to be very many if any het households. I can make male sims just as beautiful if not even more beautiful than my female sims and sometimes a sim comes along that just feels like they'd be nonbinary, so it's all pretty much based on whatever I'm feeling gender politics-wise if they're not alien, which is a whole 'nother ball game in my game because of the specific ideas I have for the alien species that can even live with terrestrial sims and if they're trying to blend in or not.
So far in the hood, only girls have been born though.

My simblr
In the name of the Moon, i will right wrongs and triumph over evil, and that means YOU! ❤️
Forum Resident
#15 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 2:13 PM
I play with what the game gives me, and happily so. I don't feel like there's any difference between my male and female sims save for voices and looks. I would like a little more fun hairstyles for my guys, but that's not affecting how fun they are to play with for me.

I am Error.
Instructor
#16 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 2:35 PM
I wish they had selected another person to speak for the male adults. I used to hated it, so I always made sure they were always busy with their jobs or I made them die early, so I could play with their widows.
Nowadays I just ignore the male voice when he grows up into an adult. After that, they're most fine.
Instructor
#17 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 2:48 PM
For the first generation, it's usually an equal number of males and females in my game. After that, the game decides my gender ratio.
Theorist
#18 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 3:02 PM
When I primarily played the premade sims (which I just stopped doing this year), I would tend to play the females more often. However, now that I'm playing a new neighborhood consisting of only sims that I create (with the exception of the Maxis townies), things are more balanced between the female and male sims. Also, when I create additional townies (for added variety) it's done equally (4 females and 4 males at a time).

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Mad Poster
#19 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 4:50 PM
Huh, I never really think about it. I don't really play certain genders specifically. I usually play families - although I have to admit, I quite enjoy playing single male sims more than single female sims, usually I'm rushing to find the woman a man so they can have babies, but males are fertile for longer so it's not as much of a race. Which is good, I have a ridiculous amount of adult/teen males in my game right now and nowhere near as many females.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Field Researcher
#20 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 6:29 PM
I play a pretty balanced game for the most part, outside of any statistical clusters I run into.
Inventor
#21 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 10:28 PM
For about six months I've been playing a Tolkien 'Lord of the Rings' theme, following the plot as nearly as I can. Do you know how few female characters there are in 'Lord of the Rings'? There's Galadriel and Arwen; then you're stuck. I wonder why Tolkien did not write about females? When it came to making films of the novels, the film makers resorted to creating extra female characters, and fabricating occasions for them to appear. Luckily most of my elf babies have been males, but I had to run the birth of Elrond's sons three times, to make sure I got two males who could go orc hunting in time.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 10:47 PM
And Eowyn. How can you forget Eowyn?

Tolkien didn't write about women for the same centuries worth of sociocultural crap reasons other men don't write about women - it's far more interesting to think about the why he wrote the ones he did. Eowyn is specifically there because one of his daughters complained.

If the proportions aren't about 50/50 I feel uncomfortable. Although some of my favorite sims are male, I tend to have more sympathy for the female ones.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Alchemist
Original Poster
#23 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 11:40 PM Last edited by mdsb759 : 23rd Mar 2016 at 11:59 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by music2ologist
Do you know how few female characters there are in 'Lord of the Rings'? There's Galadriel and Arwen; then you're stuck.
actually there are several more females besides those 2. on-screen there are Rose and Lobellia; off-screen, Elanor and several recipients of Bilbo's gifts. and a number of characters are not named; at least some of those are female. and some other females are in the appendixes.
Silmarillion has a little bit more named females in it; Hobbit, I think less.
Guide to Middle-Earth and Tolkien Companion tell about all those and about several more.

edit:: in response to post #3, I tend to play opposite gender characters in non-Sims games; in the games where gender can be chosen; I am a male.
Inventor
#24 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 11:45 PM
I have got Eowyn - she was nursemaid to Elrond's sons while they were growing up; but she has turned out to be a dull and lifeless sim. The sons, on the other hand, are really exciting. Somehow, I don't know how, they grew up to have the slim bodybuilder physiques, and watching them shower was a lot of fun. Elladan is a dancer; his twin brother Elrohir is his father's heir and just breeds descendants. So far he has three, but has killed no orcs, to my knowledge.
Test Subject
#25 Old 25th Mar 2016 at 8:34 PM
I love playing as both genders on Sims. I literally see both of them as almost the same because they're the same thing just different voices/appaerance (at least from what i've seen) . I've never noticed the males complaining more than the females. Both genders in my game will complain if 1 of their motives goes way down. (or if they randomly get stuck out of nowhere as always lol)
Page 1 of 2