Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#26 Old 27th Apr 2016 at 5:35 PM
Double posting because it's a new issue & almost two weeks later.

You know how you can set the "featured items" folder to write-access denied and not get any new files in there? And how if you don't do that you get like 200 files in there a session? With 1.69, this doesn't work anymore and you get north of 300 files: the most I got was in the 800s from a single 3 or 4-hour session. I think this factor may be why I'm having more frequent failed saves than I used to.

I was tempted to blame 1.69 for the fact that most of the collections I make or download don't show, but my research indicates it's the fault of certain store sets, which install undeletable collections that also cannot be moved farther down the cue when organizing collections: I suspect they are also suppressing the appearance of my collections. This is a major annoyance for my style of play, but I haven't found a solution.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 27th Apr 2016 at 5:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lucy kemnitzer
Double posting because it's a new issue & almost two weeks later.

You know how you can set the "featured items" folder to write-access denied and not get any new files in there? And how if you don't do that you get like 200 files in there a session? With 1.69, this doesn't work anymore and you get north of 300 files: the most I got was in the 800s from a single 3 or 4-hour session. I think this factor may be why I'm having more frequent failed saves than I used to.

I was tempted to blame 1.69 for the fact that most of the collections I make or download don't show, but my research indicates it's the fault of certain store sets, which install undeletable collections that also cannot be moved farther down the cue when organizing collections: I suspect they are also suppressing the appearance of my collections. This is a major annoyance for my style of play, but I haven't found a solution.

I've never had to do this and am still on 1.67 anyway, but some players have found that they can delete the Featured Items folder entirely, create a new text document (blank, it doesn't matter), call it "Featured Items" but then rename it without the usual .txt or whatever extension (must set the OS to reveal document extension names first), and place that into their game folder. Since of course the game cannot insert the spew of junk into what is really a document and not a folder, they find it gives up and moves on. Might doing that help?
Top Secret Researcher
#28 Old 27th Apr 2016 at 6:02 PM
Hey! I didn't know it was doing this? So, every time I start the game, even when I by-pass the launcher, it downloads 38 megs of advertising?
Instructor
#29 Old 27th Apr 2016 at 7:05 PM
so.. about this 1.69, is there a way or link I can get to download the installer (without have updating my game online through origin)? I mean like the 1.2gb Superpatch 1.67, once I've downloaded it.. I don't have to update it (patching the game) online, so I can just patch or repatch my TS3 or remove them altogether anytime I want, is there a Superpatch 1.69? I'd like to give it a try and like to know what its doing in comparison to 1.67, maybe there are some loopholes to find solutions..
Mad Poster
#30 Old 27th Apr 2016 at 7:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PapaEmy
so.. about this 1.69, is there a way or link I can get to download the installer (without have updating my game online through origin)? I mean like the 1.2gb Superpatch 1.67, once I've downloaded it.. I don't have to update it (patching the game) online, so I can just patch or repatch my TS3 or remove them altogether anytime I want, is there a Superpatch 1.69? I'd like to give it a try and like to know what its doing in comparison to 1.67, maybe there are some loopholes to find solutions..

Patch 1.69 is delivered strictly through Origin. There is no standalone or SuperPatch, as far as we all know. And it changes nothing about actual gameplay except for the way in which the game launches and which executable it uses to do so.
Scholar
Original Poster
#31 Old 27th Apr 2016 at 7:41 PM
Emmett, I don't know if it does it without the launcher. I was able to stop the featured items from showing up with a read-only folder when I had 1.67, but I could also bypass the launcher then, and I can't now. I'm going to try igazor's suggestion (I always have file extensions showing. I can't understand why I'm even given the option to hide them. What good is that? It's not like the extension names take up any amount of space, and they're useful).

Edit: PapaEmy, there is no advantage to having 1.69 that I can see. At best it is a minor inconvenience: it solves no problems in the game, it enhances nothing. It just creates little annoyances around game startup and maintenance. Be happy you aren't forced to have it!

The reason I keep adding to the thread isn't to advertise the patch or to slag on EA for inflicting this small irritation on those of us with newer copies of the game, etc., but to collect the observations I'm making and 1) figure out if each one is really a result of the patch and not a coincidence and 2)maybe find some workarounds to them so they are less irritating and 3) share those things so we can help each other.
Mad Poster
#32 Old 27th Apr 2016 at 7:44 PM
lol what *I* wonder is why people KEEP it that way? but oh well...

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Instructor
#33 Old 27th Apr 2016 at 8:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lucy kemnitzer
Edit: PapaEmy, there is no advantage to having 1.69 that I can see. At best it is a minor inconvenience: it solves no problems in the game, it enhances nothing. It just creates little annoyances around game startup and maintenance. Be happy you aren't forced to have it!

I know your point, but the purpose I was going to give it a try is to make comparisons to 1.67, I have 2 computers and spare HDD, so I can try it in my spare HDD, I heard that this 1.69 causing crashes, well that's obvious since the 1.69's purpose was to alters how the game is launched compare to 1.67, so I think if someone had nocd mod that can trigger the crash, or if someone trying to by-pass the launcher by executing the TS3W.exe instead, that also can trigger the game with 1.69 to crash..

But what I'd like to know is, if the 1.69 is more causing the game to lags/freeze? Or is it make the gameplay performs better compare to 1.67? Is the game (without any mods) with 1.69 installed lags/freeze? I'd like to know what if I only have BG installed and patched to 1.69, compares to BG only patched to 1.67 and compares it to BG only without any patch at all. I know we won't have 100% free of lags/freezes because the nature of the game, even if someone have BG only and didn't patch it to any patch at all, eventually he/she will have some lags/freezes when the world is more crowded and complex as is grows, I'd like to know what does it do to the rest of the previous patches, and what does it brings to the gameplay in particular..

But as Igazor mentioned it above, and you also mentioned it above, then I think there's no point getting the 1.69 if its only changes were to changes how the game launched, but this of course.. in some way or another will affect with some mods we already have in my opinion..
Scholar
Original Poster
#34 Old 27th Apr 2016 at 9:27 PM
IF the patch has any effect on how the game plays, I think it might be for the worse. That may be the reason that there is so much pressure now to only play with a couple of expansions. I can't prove anything, because I'm on a different computer and while my new one has good specs, the old one was specifically meant for gaming. So while I am having more trouble keeping the game from crashing now than I used to, I hesitate to say the patch has anything to do with it. I'm more inclined to think that the patch has no real effect beyond the behavior of the launcher, though I have a wee voice in my head suggesting that maybe--just perhaps--possibly, the stability of the game has been impacted by those darn files being downloaded while the launcher is open when I'm playing.

But please don't go round saying that Lucy says that the patch crashes the game all the time, because I don't know any such thing.
Page 2 of 2