Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Apr 2016 at 6:48 AM
Default Inventory Problems
Something in one of my sim's inventory is crashing my game. I recently moved a sim from an apartment lot to a house. I put all the furniture, etc...in her inventory. When I go to empty that inventory and place the items in the game it crashes. I'm wondering is there a way to empty the sims' inventory without loading the game, like in SimPE? I'm guessing its probably an unfinished painting or something that is now borked by the move.

I could just ignore the inventory I suppose, but I would prefer to clear it out if possible.

Check out my simblr https://www.tumblr.com/blog/tbssimblr

Click the link, you know you want to. ;)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 24th Apr 2016 at 8:58 AM Last edited by gummilutt : 24th Apr 2016 at 9:10 AM.
Inventory items are found in the Sims memory panel, in SimPE. They'll be written in green text.

There are many different objects that dislike being placed in inventory, and tend to cause crashes if you do. Beds, and cars are the ones that come to mind right now, but there are more. Generally the kind of object that can have an owner and references the Sim.

EDIT: Took a picture to make it clearer.

You can get to memory in two ways. Start by opening the neighbourhood. Then you can use Sim Browser to open the Sim with the broken inventory items, and then under More-icon click Open memories. Or you can sort by Neighbourhood/memory (NGBH) in the Resource-tree section, click the Neighbourhood/Memory-line in Resource List section, and then use the drop down menu to select the household the Sim is living in.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 24th Apr 2016 at 9:11 AM
I had this happen to a sim, i ended up having to kill him sicne I did not know about this method.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 24th Apr 2016 at 11:11 AM
It's generally effective though you do need to be careful. I wouldn't delete stuff that way if I could still do it in game for instance.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Inventor
#5 Old 24th Apr 2016 at 12:38 PM
You could give this http://modthesims.info/d/228385 a try in game. Transfer it to some ( poor unsuspecting) townie you don't care about. I have no idea if it'll work for your problem, but it's great for the general purpose it was designed for. Should be a quick test too.

Shotgunning bland cucumbers since 1974
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 24th Apr 2016 at 1:57 PM
When I had this issue there was no way to remove things from inventory in game after the first few items. I hadn't tried the inventory vase though, but I tried to cook the fish-crash, tried to give gift-crash, deleted the cc furniture files that he had bought, still crashed. I bet the vase will crash as well, but it's worth a try.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 24th Apr 2016 at 5:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
Inventory items are found in the Sims memory panel, in SimPE. They'll be written in green text.

There are many different objects that dislike being placed in inventory, and tend to cause crashes if you do. Beds, and cars are the ones that come to mind right now, but there are more. Generally the kind of object that can have an owner and references the Sim.

EDIT: Took a picture to make it clearer.

You can get to memory in two ways. Start by opening the neighbourhood. Then you can use Sim Browser to open the Sim with the broken inventory items, and then under More-icon click Open memories. Or you can sort by Neighbourhood/memory (NGBH) in the Resource-tree section, click the Neighbourhood/Memory-line in Resource List section, and then use the drop down menu to select the household the Sim is living in.

Thanks Gummilit I'm gonna work on this today. My main concern is whether or not her husband's tombstone got sent to the cemetery after he died or if its sitting in her inventory....I'm reasonably certain I sent it to the cemetery, but I am not 100% and since I didn't feel like reloading the game after it crashed last night I couldn't check. If it's sitting in her inventory I will be needing this.

Jo&Sarah why not just let your afflicted sim live out his natural life span??

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 24th Apr 2016 at 10:36 PM
Because the corruption moved from his inventory and he started crashing the game when I opened his need panel. That's how corruption goes, it spreads.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 12:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Because the corruption moved from his inventory and he started crashing the game when I opened his need panel. That's how corruption goes, it spreads.

I was afraid you were gonna say that....

Mad Poster
#10 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 1:11 AM
One thing you can try before poking around in SimPE is to use the batbox. If it gives you the option to "Wipe corrupt memory," it will delete the bad memory, and nothing else. Since inventory items are in memory, it is possible for the code to recognize it as a corrupt memory - and in fact it seems likely that confusion over whether something is a memory or an inventory item is a possible form for corruption to take.

Right before I did the Night the Satellites Fell, I had this problem with Pollux Stacks - something in his inventory crashed every time I tried to open it. Which was a pain in the kiester because he was moving with a lot of useful and historic stuff in his inventory, and I couldn't tell which item was corrupt by looking at it, I just deleted every single thing. (And then he still had a jump bug, so after he got his wife pregnant and I destroyed Downtown, I had a satellite fall on him, too. I never did like him much, or think he was good enough for Ruby Gorey. But that's neither here nor there.)

Sometimes it's real obvious, though, like when you see "Kissed X for the first time" in inventory. Yes, I've seen that.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 1:20 AM
Back in my old game in the most corrupted hood I had sims with actual memories in their inventories. That hood was a real mess.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#12 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 5:21 AM
all right so the good news is her husband's tombstone is not in her inventory, the bad news is the batbox is not giving me the option to delete a corrupt memory. I'll assume that means there is no corrupt memory to delete and I'll have to use SimPE to clear inventory, something I am not exactly comfortable with. Still I guess SimPE is probably a better choice than the final solution.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#13 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 10:34 AM
Using the memory editor is easy though - though only delete what you can recognise. Any questions, please ask. There are a few of us here who have used the memory editor extensively.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 11:09 AM
I suppose this is obvious to experienced players, but do remember to make a backup of the 'hood before editing the inventory in SimPE!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Scholar
#15 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 2:23 PM
Absolutely! A simple deletion of anything - memory, token or object - is simple enough and shouldn't cause problems, generally. But a tiny slip-up is easily made, and you *are* working with a file-structure that no other programs besides the TS2 executable and SimPE can understand and work with. So if you mess it up, there is no possible way of restoring it, unless you have a backup!!!
Scholar
Original Poster
#16 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 4:19 PM
I've heard SimPE can take a really long time to load. I don't use it much and when I do I take out all the content that isn't relevant to what I am editing. Since I don't know what content i need to edit in this instance I am leaving it all in. I have 10.5GB of CC. It was loading quickly at first but the neighborhood has been at 1% for poly-tech for about 20 minutes now? does this sound right or do I have another problem?

and ofc I made a back-up.

Theorist
#17 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 4:24 PM
Maybe, try closing SimPE out and restarting it...if you have not done that already. Seems as if it's hanging on something.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Scholar
Original Poster
#18 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 5:18 PM

So I got SimPE opened and had a look at Lenise's inventory and memories There are several sections of green ellipses I'm assuming that these are the corrupted memories and the things that should be deleted. I compared the raw data tab for several different things in her memories. Memories had plenty of information, some furniture items that were clearly furniture had date under the raw data tab others did not. I'm assuming anything missing raw data is what is borked and should be removed???

Mad Poster
#19 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 5:31 PM
No, not necessarily. Those dots are things that SimPE don't recognize, but that doesn't mean they are corrupt. Custom memories appear as dots, and I would imagine custom objects might do so as well. Did you place any custom things in her inventory?

Scholar
Original Poster
#20 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 5:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
No, not necessarily. Those dots are things that SimPE don't recognize, but that doesn't mean they are corrupt. Custom memories appear as dots, and I would imagine custom objects might do so as well. Did you place any custom things in her inventory?

when they moved I put the furniture in her inventory and some of it would definitely have been custom furniture.

edit>they are also in green all the furniture and items like games plaque, a bowl of food were in green. no memories were in green at all.

Mad Poster
#21 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 6:18 PM
No, memories won't be green. Green signifies it's an object in the Sims inventory, black signifies memory. The dots are things SimPE can't recognize, because it's not in the game files. If you put custom objects in there, that's almost certainly what those dots are. It does not have anything to do with it being corrupt.

Scholar
Original Poster
#22 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 6:21 PM
So then it should be safe to just remove those items? I know it seems obvious, but this may as well be a complete reference for anyone else having this problem in the future.

Mad Poster
#23 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 6:40 PM
Yes, it ought to be safe. I can't promise that it's absolutely without a doubt safe, because I don't know what you have in your game. As far as I know only objects in inventory show up as green, and it's fine to delete those as long as the object itself is safe (no graves for example). But who knows what kind of weird CC there is out there that may deviate from the rule and dislike being deleted this way.

Scholar
Original Poster
#24 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 6:45 PM
like a moving bicycle or a pig or something? I don't have any of that stuff in my game. I had those items previously but when I started these neighborhoods I left that stuff out.

edit> everything in green removed. time for a quick test.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#25 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 6:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by A.G.Doren

So I got SimPE opened and had a look at Lenise's inventory and memories There are several sections of green ellipses I'm assuming that these are the corrupted memories and the things that should be deleted. I compared the raw data tab for several different things in her memories. Memories had plenty of information, some furniture items that were clearly furniture had date under the raw data tab others did not. I'm assuming anything missing raw data is what is borked and should be removed???

Nope - ellipses are just things SimPE doesn't have information for. Green indicates they are in inventory but it might just be a custom something SimPE can't identify.

Page 1 of 2