Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st May 2016 at 9:14 AM
Default What happened to Carl's Sims 3 Guide?
I used to go to that website for gameplay tips. But it's been offline for a while.

At first, I thought they were going to fix that problem. But it's been over a week and the site is still offline.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 21st May 2016 at 11:36 AM Last edited by cameranutz2 : 21st May 2016 at 11:51 AM.
Works fine for me...

http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/

If the link above doesn't work for you, try clearing your browser's cookies & cache and see if that helps.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st May 2016 at 1:51 PM
Ok, I cleared the cache and cookies. And it still doesn't work.

And you're not gonna believe this ... but after clearing the cache, I can't even post a reply to THIS thread using Firefox anymore! I have to come onto sucky-ass Internet Explorer to post this here reply.

While we're at it, I should point out that Carls Sims 3 Guide doesn't load for me, no matter which browser I use. Firefox, IE, or Chrome, it doesn't matter. Even in a Firefox private window, in every scenario, the site just takes too long to respond.

The only way I get to even so much as the home page is if I use Google Webcache.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ms-3-guide.com/

And even then ... the page looks like crap! It's not organized in any kind of user-friendly manner. Picture if you went into "view" on your Firefox browser, selected "Page Style > No Style." That's what the webcache version of the site looks like. How am I supposed to find anything on there?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 21st May 2016 at 1:52 PM
Hey, do you think you could ask those guys if I was banned for something? My username there is acerthorn. Maybe I said something without realizing it, and if I did, and that's why I can't access the site ... could you tell them that I'd like the opportunity to apologize?

The last post I made there was in a thread where I complained about the load screens freezing up every time I tried to enroll in University. The mod who was replying in that thread seemed really helpful to my plight, even offering her email address so I could send her my save file to look at. So, if I was banned, that's a real shocker.

And even if I was ... I think it's kind of a dick move to block me from accessing the guide section, as opposed to merely the forum.
Site Helper
#5 Old 21st May 2016 at 3:57 PM
I haven't really been to that forum, but from the few times I've been there, I haven't gotten the impression that they are that unkind.

I would suspect the problem lies at your end somehow, especially if you are now having problems with MTS and Firefox.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 21st May 2016 at 8:53 PM
Works for me.
Inventor
#7 Old 21st May 2016 at 10:28 PM
Works for me as well.

The Darkdusk Legacy has ended. Read the whole thing!
The Nightmagic Legacy has ended. Read the whole thing!
Last of Her Kind has ended thanks to a dead computer.
Test Subject
#8 Old 21st May 2016 at 11:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by stebbinsd
Ok, I cleared the cache and cookies. And it still doesn't work.

And you're not gonna believe this ... but after clearing the cache, I can't even post a reply to THIS thread using Firefox anymore! I have to come onto sucky-ass Internet Explorer to post this here reply.

While we're at it, I should point out that Carls Sims 3 Guide doesn't load for me, no matter which browser I use. Firefox, IE, or Chrome, it doesn't matter. Even in a Firefox private window, in every scenario, the site just takes too long to respond.

The only way I get to even so much as the home page is if I use Google Webcache.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ms-3-guide.com/

And even then ... the page looks like crap! It's not organized in any kind of user-friendly manner. Picture if you went into "view" on your Firefox browser, selected "Page Style > No Style." That's what the webcache version of the site looks like. How am I supposed to find anything on there?

I just wanted to say that the same thing happened to me a few weeks ago when trying to load MTS in Firefox. It would only load properly in internet explorer, which I was not happy about either. There were some sites that wouldn't load in any browser, though I can't remember if Carl's was one of them.

I can access both sites now in Firefox just fine (user-unfriendly layout gone), but I had to play around with my antivirus and browser settings for a while and there wasn't one particular thing I did that seemed to fix it, rather a bunch of smaller things (sorry I can't be more helpful.)
Instructor
#9 Old 22nd May 2016 at 12:53 AM
Carl's Guide and the Sims Wikia both cause me problems in Chrome because of all the ads. I have to make sure I only have a few of those pages open at once or they all crash.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 22nd May 2016 at 3:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JessiL
Carl's Guide and the Sims Wikia both cause me problems in Chrome because of all the ads.

And website owners are wondering why more and more people are using ad blockers....

Full disclosure: I do use Adblock Plus, though I do have it set to allow ads on certain sites, including MTS. That said, I do tend to block ads on (some of) those sites again if I get a rash of especially obnoxious ads on them.

WARNING: Professional Lurker Alert!
Quote:
"Ew, trees [WooHoo-ing]."

-- "Oral Pollination", Not Always Right
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 22nd May 2016 at 11:23 PM
Chances are that one of the servers your signal goes through to reach that website has had a hardware failure, not big enough to crash the server as you would be automatically rerouted, but enough to cause a bottleneck stopping most traffic from going through it.

A proxy or VPN is probably your only way to get there until the server gets fixed, and that could take weeks or even months depending on how quickly they realize something is wrong with it.