Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#26 Old 29th May 2016 at 7:12 AM
I often have a Cowplant in my dorms, I find it keeps everyone on their toes and it's always good to shake up the Dormie pool every so often. I never direct anyone near it, but if a passing Dormie happens to wander over that way, well, c'est la vie. Or c'est la mort, I guess.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 29th May 2016 at 7:51 AM
I've sometimes toyed with the idea of keeping a pet Cowplant. But ... intending to feed it often enough that it doesn't eat passers-by, which is probably weird. XD
Theorist
#28 Old 29th May 2016 at 3:47 PM
I had a Cowplant once when I was playing a Legacy back in the days. It was fenced without a gate.
I don' recall if I ever had a sim eaten by it.
Mad Poster
#29 Old 29th May 2016 at 5:05 PM
I never feed my cowplant unless there's a visitor on the lot I don't want to die. The cake comes out after a certain amount of time that the plant goes unfed. It's like if you don't feed it, it fends for itself.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Theorist
#30 Old 29th May 2016 at 10:34 PM
I don't really like playing apocalypse-themed stories, but I did ponder one afternoon about what I'd pull off as an apocalypse on Felicity Island. The general idea was that there were two secret projects at the Research Base: the quest for the holy grail, and developing a plant-carnivore hybrid that eats something much bigger than insects. Goopy, the new guy that had arrived there just about two months before the projects were terminated, felt truly excited that he would get a chance to work on the hybrid. He couldn't have felt more sad when he heard the news about the projects' cancellation because the company had run out of funding. He snuck into the lab the night before the staff's departure, stuck a few seeds into a couple of vials and put them in the back pocket of his pants. When he got to his room, he felt tired, so he took off his pants and went to sleep. The next morning, as the chopper came to pick the researchers up, Goopy slipped as he was trying to board the vehicle. Being rather absent-minded, he forgot that the vials were in his pocket in the first place, and didn't notice that he dropped one of them. The worst part - the vial broke.

A few months later, shaman Amanaki was visiting the far stretches of the Grasslands in search for some herbs, when he found a massive monsteresque creature, with a bovine-like head, but supported on a stem. It stuck out a big, sweet-looking cake out of its stinky mouth. Amanaki despised sweet foods, but was nonetheless fascinated by the plant-animal thing. He tried bringing it some food, such as a dead animal, and the cowplant seemed to like it.

This is the part where I had to get back to studying, but I did manage to work out an ending. In short, misplacing the Staff of Tuzu, according to this, wouldn't have been the only reason why Sims of Felicity Island had disliked Amanaki.
Test Subject
#31 Old 29th May 2016 at 10:40 PM
There's always the pygmy variant: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=87495
Mad Poster
#32 Old 30th May 2016 at 6:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
I've sometimes toyed with the idea of keeping a pet Cowplant. But ... intending to feed it often enough that it doesn't eat passers-by, which is probably weird. XD

I used to do this at the Secret Societies in my old University campuses - put a gate in the fence around the Cowplant, but then lock it so no sims could get at it. Not necessarily weird, but certainly pointless.
Mad Poster
#33 Old 30th May 2016 at 3:40 PM
I had one once and kept feeding it to save the Sims. So I doubt if I will have one again soon, because I will feed it all the time again - I hate Sims dying and am definitely not ready for Sims being eaten.
Mad Poster
#34 Old 30th May 2016 at 4:35 PM
Oh come on, nudge some of those twins over there and let nature take its course :D

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Inventor
#35 Old 30th May 2016 at 4:39 PM
In the secret society the cowplant has two uses: killing off sims so ugly that I will never want to play them, to fill the graveyard so knowledge sims can be scared; and killing sims I really want to play. Secret society members who die are immediately replaced by new ones. By progressively killing off the ugly, eventually all the secret society members will be beautiful. Now and then a secret society member will come by looking really fascinating. I use the simblender to make that member selectable, then unlock the gate and and command: Grab Cake. Then my playable sim can phone the Grim Reaper, and pay ten thousand simoleons of secret society money (which I keep topped up with motherlode) to resurrect a new playable sim.

Sadly, drinking the cow's milk at the secret society does not extend life at all. On a residential lot it will confer five more days of life. I have sometimes had real villains use them for that purpose: unlock the gate, greet an obnoxious townie, then wander off, whistling nonchalantly. I have never bothered to feed the cowplant, and it has never died of starvation.
Mad Poster
#36 Old 30th May 2016 at 5:37 PM
Now that may just be a great idea, smorbie1 :D
Top Secret Researcher
#37 Old 4th Jun 2016 at 4:44 AM
I have two or three cowplants in one of my neighbourhoods. Sometimes I go back to play a household, to see a gravestone next to it - another townie gone, which is ok by me. I have used it a couple of times to kill off some Sims I got bored with, and used the resultant milk to make a Sim younger. The vampire family has one - it seemed appropriate, somehow.
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 4th Jun 2016 at 5:25 PM
I don't have any yet, but I'm playing a Test of Time challenge, and thinking to add the cowplant to all households during gen03 (last generation of Prehistory). It will be an avatar of the sims' goddess, and they will have to make sacrifices to it (feed it) or risk the goddess' ire...

Questions (I've never really played with a cowplant before): If left unfed, will the cowplant attract playable sims of the household, or just passerbys? If it's the latter, is there a mod out there to get rid of playable sims' immunity to the cake?
Scholar
#39 Old 4th Jun 2016 at 5:43 PM
It will only attract controllable sims and *greeted* visitors/walkbys. At least in *my* game, people who have not been greeted, seem unable to interact with it.

And there are mods to change the target group a little. Pescado's darwincowplant mod makes it so that only non-playables are on the menu. And it will not consume the smarter ones, or the very stinky ones.
Inventor
#40 Old 4th Jun 2016 at 6:01 PM
The cowplant will eat anybody with the right to be on the lot: nanny, gardener, maid, townie, resident - it's not picky. There is a deep-sea fish that holds out a light on the end of a tendril dangling in front of its mouth, to lure prey. The cowplant extrudes its lure only when it is hungry. If fed regularly, it will not put out the cake; that is a hunger device. You can control the cowplant action by locking the gate for all sims. Just unlock it when you want someone dead.

Come to think of it, I have seen a sim with many body points resist the cowplant attack. He just pushes the snout away.
Mad Poster
#41 Old 4th Jun 2016 at 6:20 PM
Well, on the wiki it says that the Cowplant won't eat sims that are stinky because of low hygiene, so this part has nothing to do with Pescado.
Someone told me though, that the cowplant "handing" the cake right after being fed the leg of lamb, was a bug..and a mod fixes it. Anyone knows where i could find that mod?
It has lead me to think wrong about that beast...
Edit :
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
The cow is fed to produce the cake, unfed the cow won't produce cake at all.

Where does that info comes from, Jo?
I had 5 disagree on my post, saying exactly that..
Can someone be clear about this please?

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Scholar
#42 Old 4th Jun 2016 at 8:14 PM
You're right, @Rosebine; it makes absolutely no sense the way Jo tells it. I wonder who told her that incredibly silly fish story...

The Cowplant only puts out the cake when he is hungry, because that's how he attracts victims. But if you keep him fed - at least one $35 piece leg of lamb every twelve hours - then he will never go hungry, and keep the cake to himself.
Mad Poster
#43 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 12:40 PM
The cake comes out when the plant is hungry. If fed regularly when the cake appears, the plant will not feed on its own. But the cake is part of the hunger mechanism. Your feeding it does not cause the cake to appear, it will cause it to disappear.

Mad Poster
#44 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 12:47 PM
Thank you both.
So, if in my game, it shows the cake right after i feed it...each and every time, *I* have a problem?
And so..I will re-ask...what is the fix for this?

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#45 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 1:42 PM
^ Well that how it's always worked for me. O_O

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#46 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 3:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
Thank you both.
So, if in my game, it shows the cake right after i feed it...each and every time, *I* have a problem?
And so..I will re-ask...what is the fix for this?

If I knew what mod that would be, I'd tell you right away... Could you not ask the person who told you that in the first place? If they know that there's a mod for it, maybe they also know what it's called and where to get it...

But in the meantime, I'll have a look around...
Mad Poster
#47 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 4:33 PM
I think what Jo is saying is that a new cowplant doesn't put out a cake or eat Sims until it's been fed once, but once it's been fed once (with a leg of lamb) it will put out the cake after 12 hours, and from then on, until the end of the universe, it will keep on expecting a leg of lamb every 12 hours, or else it will eat any Sim that comes near and takes the cake. If you like, according to this theory, feeding the cowplant for the first time is what activates the Sim-eating behaviour. Whether this theory is true or is just an old Sims' wives' story I have no idea. I have certainly read it before, but it might have just been in a previous post of Jo's. I most certainly shall not be doing any experiments to find out for myself -- not ever! -- none of my Sims are expendable!

As far as I an concerned this whole cowplant thing is a lot of bull! What with cowplants and cow mascots, just what do Maxis have against our bovine friends? IMHO cows are comparatively gentle big beasts that we abuse by first taking their calves, and then taking their milk that was intended to feed their calves. So why malign them in this way? I wonder if Will Wright had some bad experience with a cow when he was a child.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Top Secret Researcher
#48 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 5:02 PM
I have a cowplant that's never once been fed and it's got its cake-tongue dangling out and ready.

Trans Rights Are Human Rights

Be careful who you hate; it may be someone you love.
=^..^=
Mad Poster
#49 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 5:13 PM

For me too...

Quote: Originally posted by BoilingOil
...Could you not ask the person who told you that in the first place? If they know that there's a mod for it, maybe they also know what it's called and where to get it...

But in the meantime, I'll have a look around...

Quote: Originally posted by DezzyBoo
@Rosebine Glitch. Idk what fixes it, but that doesn't happen to me anymore..

If DezzyBoo knew/remembered he/she would have been able to tell..
But thank you BO for trying to help.
In the meantime, I'll go do some more testing..making sure I did not hallucinated all those times...Since AndrewGloria won't DO it! lol

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#50 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 6:36 PM
You know, it's just struck me - 'the cake is a lie' (and was so a long time before Portal).

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Page 2 of 3