Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Oct 2016 at 1:17 AM Last edited by TaijaT : 5th Oct 2016 at 6:14 PM.
Default How to improve my amish church? help wanted
I made this simple and modest lot for my own amish challenge without any use of mods. It was rejected. Interior got only 1 stars, otherwise it was ok. I have no clue for interior, how I could improve it drastically. I think it was supposed to be simple with amish style. Lot size is also small. If I make it bigger I could add more inside but what? Church is suitable for modest weddings with a violin and a serving table. I didn't add many pews, because the hall is so small.

Have anybody got any ideas for interior and why it got only 1 star? I wanted to make outside toilet only like in all my amish lots. Was that a problem? I could easily make this lot a bigger, but interior would still be a problem. I made interior wall the same as outside wall to make it look like modest. The wall is supposed to brick or cement, but to me it looks like a rough wood.

I didn't add anymore floors or rooms, because I didn't want sims to wander outside of the main hall. Maybe this will go unpublished them, because the idea is far too simple, but I don't want to change it too much. Real amish churches look even more simple inside. But that is not very realistic lot because I ended up decorating the outside and didn't find many suitable decorations inside.

Any help would be appreciated.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 7th Oct 2016 at 3:57 AM
I don't build in Sims 4, but I think your church is lovely. I think the problem is that since it is Amish, it needs to be simple, but since it's simple it doesn't seem unique enough for MTS. Here are some suggestions:

1. Add a basement with an area for wedding receptions and parties.
2. Add some architectural interest to the altar area, such as shown in the attached pictures.
3. Browse churches and chapels on MTS in TS2 and TS3 for inspiration.

You can PM the queue mod who reviewed your download for further clarification or send her the link to this thread.
Good luck!

Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Oct 2016 at 4:23 PM
Ok thanks for help, I'll try that if my second version is not enough..
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#4 Old 9th Oct 2016 at 1:38 AM
@TaijaT
From the Creator Guidelines: "The way the lot is built should be unique, interesting, and more than just a basic box with four walls and a roof. "
Your church *is* basically just 4 walls and a roof, so that's the "problem" here.

That said: I fully understand why your church is built the way it is. The second picture in attuned's post - adding angled walls behind the altar area - would help break up the boxiness. An area for receptions and parties could be added to one side (not as a basement as that wouldn't alter the boxiness any) would work and still keep the simple look you want. If you really don't want to add a bathroom to the interior, you could build a little bump-out on one side of the church for the toilet stalls instead of having them be separate from the church. (You could keep the entry door outside still.)

Since the way you decorate and furnish the lot can still be fairly plain and simple, the above suggestions shouldn't ruin the simple look you want this church to have.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Oct 2016 at 9:23 PM
Ok, thanks for the very helpful tips. I already tried the more complicated altar version, but I didn't like it myself, because the church shape needs to be reformed to make it more complicated, when I did it looked bulkier outside. I added the second floor too but I didn't make any reasonable use for it. It looked weird and creepy..lol. I hope this post is to use of others. But I understand what went wrong. The changes were hard to fit to my original idea. That is when you are not very disciplined or experienced builder. I don't know if I will try to change it anymore but I hope people get ideas. It still needs to be modified more, to make it realistic and still with the original idea.

To make reception area church would need to be crossshaped i think without it being bulky, but it would be completely different idea.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 11th Oct 2016 at 7:29 AM
Hi @TaijaT
I think if ever you can get away with a box, it is for a church. Many IRL churches ARE boxes. I know mine is. I attached a few pictures of "modified" boxes from my game. If you are still willing to work on your church, the first three pics are a box with just a bit of modification in the front. It still retains its simple design, but the roof becomes more interesting and the extra space is not so large that it changes the design. The final picture is a box with a modified roof. I put the side pieces on separately and then the top piece. It gives it a barn- like or more rustic look, without changing the inside at all. Perhaps something like this can work for you.

I have been building since Sims 1 was released. I started sharing my lots about 18 months ago. Building for upload means keeping other stuff in mind. Some of my favorite lots I keep just for me. Some of my lots on MTS I don't have in my game. When I build to upload here, I try to follow the guidelines and I consider whether others would be interested in the lot. I think, with some work, this lot can be acceptable to MTS. If you decide to keep it just for you, that's okay too. Good luck!
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 11th Oct 2016 at 11:33 AM Last edited by TaijaT : 11th Oct 2016 at 2:12 PM.
Nice looking lot.. Maybe I will try barn model too. I have a simple taste as a Finnish (maybe because I'm accustomed to). This may be off the topic, but I don't like how architecture usually in Finland is. There are many boxy soviet like ugly and boxy apartment building (only supposed to be practical even when they are not with a flat roof. Snow gathers on the roofs and has to be plowed separately so the roof won't collapse. But I like the wooden houses look here, but it is still very boxy here usually without any architectural detail even in the roofs. Only the different colors, windows and doors make houses their character and the little details.

I wanted to attach the picture of the typical nice looking Finnish house here.

I usually end up building very lazily in my own game, with only small details carefully designed. I haven't tried to put up any lots here before, because usually all my houses are too simple without any particular idea behind it. If I want to build more like central european, I must copy style directly from the other building guides. I am still working on this amish church, but it is now converted to a country church, not anymore amish. It ended up looking a bit like some wooden orthodox churches around here. I still don't like the shape, but it is getting better.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 14th Oct 2016 at 2:00 PM
After a really hard trial and error I managed to get my church finally approved. I made 2 versions, in a medium size and a small size lot. They still look quite different.

I like the more simple version in a tiny lot which is more original. I had to make it longer, so I could add the stairs upstairs. I didn't want to change the squarish shape of the church. That concluded the altar also. I made the altar a square, not round inset but it protruded off the outside wall, I had to cover it with a small roof piece. That wasn't perfect but nice. I had to make the second floor with walls so something like bathrooms would fit in there. Still I had to keep the original Finnish house shape in mind (as my inspiration). I think the result is a quite nice, I didn't have to make too many compromises.

Thanks so much for all your help!
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 15th Oct 2016 at 12:22 AM
@TaijaT
I am so happy that your lots were approved. I think you built two very usable and lovely lots!

The Finnish house you pictured would fit well in the New England section of the U.S., except it would probably be white. Even the stone retaining wall is the same. I like this style of architecture very much. Many of the houses in my game are of a similar style.