Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#51 Old 27th Nov 2016 at 12:18 PM
How do we know they aren't talking about NPC's? Bartenders, bus drivers etc.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Advertisement
Scholar
#52 Old 27th Nov 2016 at 12:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
How do we know they aren't talking about NPC's? Bartenders, bus drivers etc.

Because of the following, perhaps?

Quote: Originally posted by lukas11xxf
  • Will npc households turn into life states?

NPC Households? Which are these? The only households that I can imagine there, do not contain ANY NPCs.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#53 Old 27th Nov 2016 at 1:10 PM
I saw that and thought the person must be a sims 3 player and doesn't know NPC's are not a household. I think we need some clarification by lukas11xxf.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#54 Old 27th Nov 2016 at 3:11 PM
You might be right, Jo. But if they didn't know how things work in Sims 2, should they be making assumptions about what needs to change?
Of course, I will agree that this is an open forum. So any input is valued. But attempting to judge Sims 2 according to Sims 3 definitions is impractical, if not inappropriate.

At any rate, let @Orphalesion's (and mine) response be an attempt at correcting their (possible) misconception, if it was that. And otherwise, I agree, we need more input from @lukas11xxf as to what they intended with their suggestion.
Forum Resident
#55 Old 27th Nov 2016 at 8:12 PM
I would tweak OFB specifically so that businesses have bills just like households. Real businesses have overhead expenses beyond the costs of inventory. I never liked that my venue businesses had no costs at all. I also wish OFB had added a better P&L panel and that you could go back to the first day if you wanted, not just the five most recent days on a rolling basis.

Seasons should have longer days in summer, shorter in winter, and maybe a player toggle to allow DST.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#56 Old 27th Nov 2016 at 10:20 PM
You can toggle days with the simwardrobe weather jar. Only you have to set it at each house. There is also weather type mods for differing season length. An in game toggle under a weather button would be nice so it could be easily set hood wide and changed at any time.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#57 Old 27th Nov 2016 at 10:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BoilingOil
Because of the following, perhaps?

NPC Households? Which are these? The only households that I can imagine there, do not contain ANY NPCs.

Meant the one's that aren't currently played. Didn't know any better term... sorry.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#58 Old 27th Nov 2016 at 11:02 PM
I seen on a wiki that there is phoning service on the TS2 console for a Therapist where you can ask him/her to change wants&fears. Would been awesome if this came to pc, with the exception that it would require payment and the targeted sim must have red aspiratation bar or else it will go to a failure.

Having a party option to "Throw a funeral" (sims gather around the recently died sim, dressed in formal black suits/attire).
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#59 Old 27th Nov 2016 at 11:07 PM
NPC's are sims the game makes for specific roles. So paper boy/girl. mail person, bus driver, bartender, maid, nanny etc. They perform some services. Some you can move in and change to playables.

Townies are sims without any specific role, just sims that walk by, fill community lots. They can all be moved in and changed into playables.

Downtownies are the same as townies but come when a downtown is attached. They tend to come with more money and better jobs. Downtown also contains some new NPC's such as Mrs Crumplebottom and Grand Vampires. You never move in Crumplebut, she's an object and doing so will fry your installation.

Dormies are young adult sims generated by a UNI template who fill up dorms. You need a mod for them to show up at shops outside of a UNI. They can also be moved in and made playable, moving them in will age them to an adult if they are being moved to a regualr hood.

Pre-Mades are those sims either in the bin or in a house that EA made.

Playables are the pre-mades as well as sims you create or download. You can load up their house and play them. When you play another house the first playables are still playables. They can form relationships not directed by you on community lots or on your home business lot.
They can also have things happen to them. In one household I had been trying hard to get a sim turned into a werewolf, he was friends with a leader of the pack he just needed to be nibbled. I went to play the next house and he was there when the leader of the pack showed up and he got nibbled while not being controlled, so yes sims can change life states while not being controlled.
They won't age or marry or change jobs or anything else though, that is all controlled by the player.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#60 Old 27th Nov 2016 at 11:43 PM
Quote:
Having a party option to "Throw a funeral" (sims gather around the recently died sim, dressed in formal black suits/attire).

Actually, this is one that I doubt EA developers would have done. After all, the game is about life, not death, and they're really specific about that when Grim shows up and empties a house.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#61 Old 28th Nov 2016 at 3:02 AM
Death is part of life. I think it would be nice to have funerals. It would certainly be better than sims crying over the new grave for a minute or two and then pillowfighting or playing kicky bag like nothing happened.
Theorist
#62 Old 28th Nov 2016 at 3:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
Death is part of life. I think it would be nice to have funerals. It would certainly be better than sims crying over the new grave for a minute or two and then pillowfighting or playing kicky bag like nothing happened.

^ Agreed, I also think that the "Sims is a Life Simulator not a Death Simulator" bit from the grimmy text is a tongue-in-cheek remark, rather than a serious statement about the design philosophy behind Sims 2 (all of the Grim Reaper pop ups are humourous, one of them is even a dating profile!)

A funeral or a wake would be a nice addition. Maybe with a certain chance that Grimmy shows up to hold an eulogy (maybe only with Sims that have escaped death before?)
Mad Poster
#63 Old 28th Nov 2016 at 4:06 AM
Cathair2005 was working on a modded lectern for funeral "parties", but it appears that he either never finished it or it was never updated for later EPs (maybe both?). The link to his "funeral project" goes to an inactive googlepages site with bad links.

http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=237727
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#64 Old 28th Nov 2016 at 12:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
NPC's are sims the game makes for specific roles. So paper boy/girl. mail person, bus driver, bartender, maid, nanny etc. They perform some services. Some you can move in and change to playables.

Townies are sims without any specific role, just sims that walk by, fill community lots. They can all be moved in and changed into playables.

Downtownies are the same as townies but come when a downtown is attached. They tend to come with more money and better jobs. Downtown also contains some new NPC's such as Mrs Crumplebottom and Grand Vampires. You never move in Crumplebut, she's an object and doing so will fry your installation.

Dormies are young adult sims generated by a UNI template who fill up dorms. You need a mod for them to show up at shops outside of a UNI. They can also be moved in and made playable, moving them in will age them to an adult if they are being moved to a regualr hood.

Pre-Mades are those sims either in the bin or in a house that EA made.

Playables are the pre-mades as well as sims you create or download. You can load up their house and play them. When you play another house the first playables are still playables. They can form relationships not directed by you on community lots or on your home business lot.
They can also have things happen to them. In one household I had been trying hard to get a sim turned into a werewolf, he was friends with a leader of the pack he just needed to be nibbled. I went to play the next house and he was there when the leader of the pack showed up and he got nibbled while not being controlled, so yes sims can change life states while not being controlled.
They won't age or marry or change jobs or anything else though, that is all controlled by the player.

Thank, but I already knew what all of these terms meant. Thought, props for creatin as newbies might need to look at this and get some sense of the game's glossary
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#65 Old 28th Nov 2016 at 12:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
Actually, this is one that I doubt EA developers would have done. After all, the game is about life, not death, and they're really specific about that when Grim shows up and empties a house.

But TS3 has it.
Test Subject
#66 Old 28th Nov 2016 at 7:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SIMposiast
I would tweak OFB specifically so that businesses have bills just like households. Real businesses have overhead expenses beyond the costs of inventory. I never liked that my venue businesses had no costs at all. I also wish OFB had added a better P&L panel and that you could go back to the first day if you wanted, not just the five most recent days on a rolling basis.

Yes, there's generally too much money given to the sims, and the prices too are ridiculously low. I wish there was some kind of inflation or a more realistic economics system in the game. The real spoiler is that 20,000 given to a sim who's moving out to sim bin.
Scholar
#67 Old 28th Nov 2016 at 10:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AM_Ilmeinen
Yes, there's generally too much money given to the sims, and the prices too are ridiculously low. I wish there was some kind of inflation or a more realistic economics system in the game. The real spoiler is that 20,000 given to a sim who's moving out to sim bin.

With Pescado's no20khandouts.package, sims moving out into the bin do NOT get a free 20k

Quote:
no20Khandouts.package

Eliminates the magic 20K handout when a sim moves out or graduates from college. A sim moving out will simply take a proportional split of the cash reserves of the current family. No more. No such thing as a free lunch. If a sim family breaks up, the sim being booted out will take the minimum amount to afford a lot, 3K, from the treasury if available. Otherwise, he gets whatever is left. If that's not enough to afford even the odd 2x2 lot....too bad! Life's a bitch and then you're raped by wild boars!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#68 Old 28th Nov 2016 at 11:09 PM
You can also use halved wages and or higher bills. Or take out a loan on Monique's computer and have your sims hit by high interest rates. I'm sure there are other mods around to keep your sims dirt poor, most of mine are!

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#69 Old 30th Nov 2016 at 5:11 PM
Here are my thoughts, based on my previous gameplay.

Toddlers that don't learn toddler skills by the time they age up don't automatically get on their feet, use the bathroom; and talk, the social worker takes them to a remedial skills facility at $1,000 and one day per skill. If the parent doesn't have the money they get taken away.

Different wants/fears. I thought it was strange that there are fears and bad memories for "D" grades but not "F" grades unless the social worker comes or a teen is fired from a teen job. Or that there aren't any drawbacks from using Elixir of Life indefinitely, maybe the Sim really wants to become an adult or elder.

I'll agree the budget screen was very useful in the Sims 1, it was much easier to see if a household was going broke before they actually did so.

While on the topic, my suggestion would have been a more realistic job-hunting system. I always found it strange that an entry-level job was always available every day of the week, and any Sim could have it by clicking 'take job.' Instead, it would set up an interview for the job the Sim would need to attend later in the week and success would depend on skills, their mood, and 'who else applied.' If the Sim goes broke in the meantime and/or has high skills, formal attire, and a good mood but a popup appears that someone else got the job; that's life.

I thought the networking aspect of Apartment Life was a step in the right direction since it involves meeting someone and getting to know them, where then every so often they say 'you interested in (this job)?' I've honestly never played Open for Business which focuses on Sims opening their own businesses if I'm not mistaken.

Also, actually homeless Sims (not just the Sim bin).
Field Researcher
#70 Old 30th Nov 2016 at 5:47 PM

Or indeed congratulating each other. "Well done, Grandma, you've managed to become a widow!"

Or woohoo, of course, though I suppose that could be considered therapeutic.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#71 Old 30th Nov 2016 at 7:54 PM
Employees shouldn't be signed up in the "Employee" career. It just breaks the immersion where work hours don't match and the title of it is so vague. For instance, I have a sim employed in my restaurant lot as a chef, and when I switch to that sim household to be playable, I would want to have him apply to the Culinary career and have it display like that.

Sims working in specific career should unlock them special relative interactions or traits when reaching certain level of it. For example, how we have in TS3, where sims that are doctors can indentify pregnant's baby gender? Something like that (thinking of sims in law enforcement should be able to beat burglars up, slackers earning simoleans while using dj booth while as Party D.J. or "edit video" on a computer as The Video Editor, ect.).

Downtown or Business Distric (latter would fit better I think) has bus replaced over taxi, along with the telephone booth with the bus stop and a bench.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#72 Old 30th Nov 2016 at 9:24 PM
Mods can help.
A doctor can use a pregnancy test to test for pregnancy (nobody can predict gender in the sims, that doesn't get chosen until birth)
Have an officer use the fight burglar mod.
You can use cc bus stops.

The employee career is annoying and my chef is in the same boat. You can download a mod which enables different work schedules to make it closer to reality.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#73 Old 2nd Dec 2016 at 10:39 PM
In the original game, Sims slowed down when you moused over them, making them easier to click. I would definitely bring that feature back.
Mad Poster
#74 Old 3rd Dec 2016 at 2:14 AM
In the original game, sims were sorted in the relationship panel by proximity. Sims that were on the same lot would show up at the head of the list. Sims 2 also has this.

What Sims 2 never got was the feature where, if you then right-clicked on the portrait of a non-playable sim who was on the same lot, the camera would then zoom in to that sim's location. I know of at least one modded object that does something similar to this, but it would have been nice if it had been part of the game.
Scholar
#75 Old 3rd Dec 2016 at 4:27 PM
What Sims 2 never got was the feature where, if you then right-clicked on the portrait of a non-playable sim who was on the same lot, the camera would then zoom in to that sim's location.

I cannot imagine what you mean by that.

The only non-playable sims whose portraits are shown in the UI, are babies and pets. And right-clicking their portraits works like all others. At least on my system.

All other non-playables on a lot are not members of the household, and therefor not shown in the UI at all. Only in the relationships panel. And it makes sense that right-clicking THERE does not zoom the camera in on anyone.
Page 3 of 4