Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Functional Radiator

by K9DB Posted 26th Jan 2017 at 6:45 PM - Updated 2nd Oct 2020 at 1:10 AM by K9DB

103 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 75 Feedback Posts, 27 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 5
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 26th Jan 2017 at 7:03 PM
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Jan 2017 at 7:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
You have marked this requiring dine out, but say it came with Vampires? So, which is it?

Both I think, the radiator is from Vampires, but parts of the tuning are from Dine Out. Let me know if it works without.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#4 Old 26th Jan 2017 at 7:30 PM
You have marked this requiring dine out, but say it came with Vampires? So, which is it?

Oh! I see what you mean. I clicked both when uploading, but the vampires one disappeared. I tried to edit and add the requirement back, but it's not on the list?
Scholar
THANKS POST
#5 Old 26th Jan 2017 at 8:28 PM
Thank you for this! I had been using a deco one, but this will be so much better. Perfect for those cold Windenburg houses.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#6 Old 26th Jan 2017 at 8:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mendota
Thank you for this! I had been using a deco one, but this will be so much better. Perfect for those cold Windenburg houses.

Thanks! I like that it'll fit in any room too, hope it'll come in handy when seasons arrives. I'd never tried it, but according to the tuning, you can warm up your sim ray frozen sims too!
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#7 Old 26th Jan 2017 at 9:08 PM
This is exactly what the radiator did in TS2!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#8 Old 26th Jan 2017 at 9:47 PM
Thanks! This is lovely. <3
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#9 Old 26th Jan 2017 at 10:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by K9DB
Oh! I see what you mean. I clicked both when uploading, but the vampires one disappeared. I tried to edit and add the requirement back, but it's not on the list?

oops! That was my fault. I must have forgotten to save that page when I added it. All fixed so you should be able to add that in now. Thanks!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#10 Old 26th Jan 2017 at 11:25 PM
Wow how cool is this. I love it.
Test Subject
#11 Old 27th Jan 2017 at 1:37 AM
From a technical standpoint, radiators function by having a boiler (usually in the basement) that contains a large reservoir of water (usually treated with chemicals to keep it clean and improve heat transfer) and heated by either an electric heating coil or gas flame, similar to a water heater for the sink/bathtub/etc. Depending on the type of radiator, the hot water either turns to steam and rises into the radiators under its own pressure, or hot water itself is pumped through the radiators. Steam radiators are more common.
This being the case, it's rare for radiators to be able to be individually controlled, as they're usually all tied to the same boiler and run together, but the boiler itself can be remotely controlled, such as a by a thermostat in the house (or newer systems can be controlled via a smartphone app or remote that controls the thermostat)
There are portable radiators that often have oil inside instead of water and are heated by electrical coils. These can also be remotely controlled but aren't as effective as the whole house radiators.

That said, it sounds like your implementation is fairly realistic, as having the whole house turn on and off together on a schedule and being able to sit near them for relaxing heat is actually accurate. Radiators can be selectively turned off by closing the valve and blocking the steam/water from that unit, but it's usually impossible to turn only one on without having to close off all the others, which is usually discouraged due to the pressure from the boiler being intended to be spread across all the units in the house and could be hazardous to allow for only one or two units to be the only ones open.

Lastly, if you want to add the option for upgrade or repair, the following choices might be fitting:

Repair type: Spring a leak (maybe animate with steam or water spraying from the side/top, could create puddles)
Radiators are under a lot of pressure from super heated steam/water being pushed into them and it's possible for the relief vent to fail and shoot steam or water out of the top of the radiator. Repairs are relatively simple and might be classified as plumbing repairs (often you call a plumber to fix radiator systems), as the steam/water is dangerously hot, you might include a chance to be scalded if attempting the repair with low skill. This would be considered a burn, but might need a different debuff from a burn from fire. The debuff should probably not be life-threatening, but I suppose it could contribute to death of the Sim is already hurt by something else in a similar category.

Upgrade types:
Improved Relief Valve (Skill - Simple): When a radiator isn't running, the steam/water cools and falls back into the boiler. In its place is plain air. When the boiler turns on, this air needs a place to go so the steam/water can fill the radiator again and is forced out through the relief valve. By improving the efficiency of the valve, a radiator is better able to relieve excess pressure and is less likely to fail and may be able to heat up faster and more safely. (in-game effect: radiator breaks less often, doesn't leave a puddle when it does break?)
Improved Convection (Skill - Moderate): Radiators work by a process called convection, wherein the water in a boiler is heated and caused to rise, where the heat convects, or is passed on, to the metal body of the radiator and then out to the air, causing the water/steam to cool and drop back down into the boiler. Improving the heat transfer of the radiator by chemical treatment of the water and better quality metal in the radiator itself will allow the radiator to waste less energy and heat the room more quickly. (in-game effect: warmth buff improved and takes effect more quickly)
Unbreakable (Skill - High): Making a radiator system completely unbreakable is truly a "pipe dream" (pun intended), but as many items in The Sims can be made unbreakable, it stands to reason that this would be the final step in fully upgrading your radiator. (in-game effect: Radiator never breaks. Completing this upgrade makes Improved Relief Valve obsolete)
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#12 Old 27th Jan 2017 at 3:04 AM
Thank you so much!
I love this kind of small details.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#13 Old 27th Jan 2017 at 3:32 AM
Thanks
Test Subject
#14 Old 27th Jan 2017 at 5:32 PM

She said it uses the file from the heat lamp in Dine Out. So it uses both Dine Out and Vampires.

Please check out my Sims stories:

Conrad Legacy
Jensen Legacy
(will remain unfinished)
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#15 Old 28th Jan 2017 at 7:46 AM
Finally get my sims a functioning heater.
Thank you for the good work!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#16 Old 28th Jan 2017 at 2:22 PM
oops! That was my fault. I must have forgotten to save that page when I added it. All fixed so you should be able to add that in now. Thanks!

Hi @HugeLunatic , I can't seem to reapply the vampire requirement. It doesn't save changes and always ends up "unclicked" again?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#17 Old 28th Jan 2017 at 2:41 PM
@Ceetch Holy moly! You know a lot about radiators! Do you work with them or something? Even the internet couldn't give me that much good info, and it was definitely not this easy to understand! Thanks! I learnt something new!
There are no radiators where I live, no basements either, so no place for steam to rise into radiators. We have geysers (water heaters) but they're usually in the crawlspace in the roof (no attics either) or even outside.
I'm not really an expert in modding, it actually took me for a while to make this, I got stuck and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working until I realized what I was missing...duh! Only took me two days! LOL! I have lots of unfinished projects that still need work too, so for now, I think I'll leave the radiator as is. Your suggestions are well thought out though and if I get around to updating this mod they will fit in perfectly!
Thanks again!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#18 Old 28th Jan 2017 at 2:43 PM
Thanks for all the kindness everyone! Much appreciated
Test Subject
#19 Old 28th Jan 2017 at 6:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by K9DB
@Ceetch Holy moly! You know a lot about radiators! Do you work with them or something? Even the internet couldn't give me that much good info, and it was definitely not this easy to understand! Thanks! I learnt something new!
There are no radiators where I live, no basements either, so no place for steam to rise into radiators. We have geysers (water heaters) but they're usually in the crawlspace in the roof (no attics either) or even outside.
I'm not really an expert in modding, it actually took me for a while to make this, I got stuck and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working until I realized what I was missing...duh! Only took me two days! LOL! I have lots of unfinished projects that still need work too, so for now, I think I'll leave the radiator as is. Your suggestions are well thought out though and if I get around to updating this mod they will fit in perfectly!
Thanks again!

I used to live in a house that had an older radiator system and had to deal with the maintenance myself because my landlord never did. I did in fact experience failures and upgrades similar to what I mentioned in the post, where the relief valve failed and was shooting boiling hot steam out of the vent and leaving hot water on the floor and wall. The solution was a better relief valve and chemical treatment for the water in the boiler.
Test Subject
#20 Old 29th Jan 2017 at 9:03 AM
Typical modern radiators in the UK are the gas combi-boiler/hot water type - they might have a very small tank just to allow for the expansion of the hot water, there is no large reservoir. The same boiler provides hot water on demand to the taps too.

The hot water will have it's temperature set by the boiler, but each rad will mostly have both a stopcock on the way in and a thermostat on the way out. As our houses are small, often each radiator will have it's own dedicated water feed and so each radiator can be shut off or the amount of hot water running through turned down by it's built in thermostat.

Radiators also have a manual bleed valve at the top for trapped air to be vented out, which you'll know when to do when your radiator is only hot at the bottom and not the top.

Additionally, there will be a thermostat/timer in one of the living spaces where the household heating is turned on and off to maintain a set room temperature at the required times.

Like Ceetch, I rent too and I can't afford a plumber. ha ha
Test Subject
#21 Old 29th Jan 2017 at 5:58 PM
@Mevi does have a point. There's actually many different styles of radiators depending on when it was installed and the style of the space it is meant to heat. In the northeast US, they're usually steam radiators with a main boiler in the basement, but there can be many different styles.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#22 Old 29th Jan 2017 at 8:30 PM
@Mevi @Ceetch Thanks for the info guys! Wow, there's a lot more to these radiators than I thought! I read you can take an olden day radiator and they put a small electric heater in the side and they'll work great nowadays too, and they look great. Kinda wish they existed here in Namibia too!
My winter heating consists of a tiny, reeeeally old, electric heater, with glowing tubes that heat up. It has/had a "humidifier" which boiled water, but now just leaks. So I use a kettle for that next to it now, lol...that and wrapping up in blankets and jackets all day
Sounds like you both have a maxed out handiness skill Your radiators are lucky to have you!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#23 Old 30th Jan 2017 at 6:25 PM
Love it! I saw these and was instantly disappointed they weren't functional.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 5th Feb 2017 at 1:06 PM
Great job!

• Watch my Sims 4 Speed Builds & Let's Plays on YouTube.
  • Chat with me on Twitter. :)
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#25 Old 7th Feb 2017 at 9:04 AM
I would love have this functional radiator for TS3...
Page 1 of 5