Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Feb 2017 at 6:05 PM Last edited by peevpee : 6th Nov 2017 at 6:58 PM.
Default Is this the End of Sims 2?
I have not been on MTS in over 5 months... So it was a surprise to see this thread pop up.

"Woah! this thread has been brought back from the underworld too many times"

So to recap:
> I initially thought that the Sims 2 community was dying
> I was convinced otherwise by this forum.

Though, feel free to voice whatever your opinion is on the matter.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 8th Feb 2017 at 6:21 PM Last edited by noiceonebruh : 12th Feb 2017 at 12:11 PM.
Never gonna give you up (SIMS 2), never gonna let you down (SIMS 2)
Never gonna run around and desert you (for Sims 3/4)
Never gonna make you cry (SIMS 2), never gonna say goodbye (SIMS 2)
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you (SIMS 2)

Mad Poster
#3 Old 8th Feb 2017 at 6:53 PM
Considering the UC swept a lot of people our (TS2's) way, I think there's a good chance TS2 will last for several more years, depending on whether Origin stays up and running, that is.
Instructor
#4 Old 8th Feb 2017 at 7:08 PM
There are lots of people visiting this TS2 forum. There are still creators for TS2.
TS2 is such a (fairly) complete game, I think it will last at least some more years.
Instructor
#5 Old 8th Feb 2017 at 9:32 PM
As long as there are people playing it, I can't say 'it's the end'.

** This can be applied to other good old games...
Mad Poster
#6 Old 8th Feb 2017 at 9:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by peevpee
Though what happens when we inevitably give up Sims 2 to make way for life outside Pleasantview

I don't know about you, but I intend on playing this game for the rest of my life

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
#7 Old 8th Feb 2017 at 10:06 PM
Since there are still people new enough to the Sims 2 community to come onto this board and broach this subject again, I'm gonna say - no. Not this time, and not the last 50 times either. Why should it be? People are still playing Asteroids, for pity's sake, a game without a tenth of potential.

And what difference does it make, anyway? As long as people are playing games that please them, it doesn't much matter what those games are, or how many other people play them.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#8 Old 8th Feb 2017 at 10:12 PM
The end?
When UC is still being given away by Origin for free when players ask nicely?
When Origin knows that they need to keep us happy so that we can sign in once in a while and perhaps fall for something they want to sell?
The end?
More like a beginning - especially for players who never had all the expansions or stuff packs before!!!!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 8th Feb 2017 at 10:36 PM
O_o Us sims 2 players are alive and well thank you (okay so I am not actually well; I have been coughing up green muck for days but apart from me drowning over here in green bog) my game and me are very much alive.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#10 Old 8th Feb 2017 at 10:50 PM Last edited by gummilutt : 9th Feb 2017 at 12:34 AM.
I mean no harm to OP, but few things have the ability to annoy me so quickly as the never ending "Is TS2 even alive?" and "Is TS2 going to die?" posts. It takes literally two minutes of research in the very place you are asking the question to get your answer.

I get that this OP meant more of a "will there be new generations after us" and not an immediate is it dead now, but still gets my goat. Considering the active ages of the people here ranges from 13 to 80+ 75+, I'd say it's an irrelevant question for the next 70 years.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 8th Feb 2017 at 11:01 PM
Why should fans "inevitably" give up ?
I'm a new Sims 2 fan, I come from TS3 and thought about buying TS2 for a long time, and it's TS4 that finished convincing me to do it ! And I'm not alone, I've met other people who did the same. This is evidence that this game still gains new fans all the time.
And wait something like 10 more years... The Sims 2 will start being called retro. Its original public will be even more nostalgic and faithful to it. And it will gain younger fans who think that retro is cool.
Even in 20 years, the Sims 2 won't have such a large public simply because of compatibility issues that will make playing it more complicated (just like with TS1 right now), but I'd bet a lot of money that it will be far from dead. It will be a classic. Some games are meant to never die.
Theorist
#12 Old 8th Feb 2017 at 11:09 PM
Isn't this a little bit overly dramatic? Or is there some end times prophecy for SIms 2 I am not aware of? Does it involve a giant Bella Goth standing on the moon, clothed in the sun?

Last time I walked into a game store they still had Sims 2 and it's expansions there, seems pretty alive to me.
Scholar
#13 Old 8th Feb 2017 at 11:24 PM
Recently out of curiosity I’ve been comparing the amount of people viewing the discussion boards here, and the pattern seems to be TS3>TS2>TS4>TS1. So if more people are interested in discussing TS2 instead of new shiny TS4, I don’t think it’s going to be forgotten. TS2 has very active modding/creating community, there are plenty of new things uploaded everyday in various places (even on this very site), and it doesn’t seem it’s going to stop anytime soon. If Nintendo games from 80s/90s can get new players (me), why not TS2? Especially given that these days it’s still far from retro considering its possibilities and and its looks with mods and CC.

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Mad Poster
#14 Old 8th Feb 2017 at 11:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
I get that this OP meant more of a "will there be new generations after us" and not an immediate is it dead now, but still gets my goat. Considering the active ages of the people here ranges from 13 to 80+, I'd say it's an irrelevant question for the next 70 years.

80+, really?! I hope that I'm still playing TS2 when I'm 80+!

(Just another 50 years to go!)
Field Researcher
#15 Old 8th Feb 2017 at 11:26 PM
My sims are still having babies left and right, and like another poster stated, this game has gained a lot of fans over the last few years even during TS3 and TS4. This game isn't losing a huge momentum any time soon. I'll play it later on today even...
Scholar
#16 Old 8th Feb 2017 at 11:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Candyd
Even in 20 years, the Sims 2 won't have such a large public simply because of compatibility issues that will make playing it more complicated (just like with TS1 right now), but I'd bet a lot of money that it will be far from dead. It will be a classic. Some games are meant to never die.

Well, all that takes is building a compatible computer. Which can be done, I think. You can build computers with older operating systems and customize them to handle older games. My grandparents have an old Gateway desktop still truckin' on Windows 98 and I could play my beloved Need For Speed games on it as well as some old arcade games. .

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Meet Me In My Next Life
#17 Old 8th Feb 2017 at 11:45 PM
Dear friend of my who is also a member here ( Simsane ) took a very long break from playing the Sims 2. I am always asking her when will she come back.
And to let me buy from her one of her EPs that I do not have since she not playing any more. She told me she saving all her Sims 2 EPs for her grandchild to have and play the Sims.

All I could do was "Crack Up And Laugh" because her grandchild is "Two Year Old" hahaha so I am thinking maybe the Sims 2 will never get old I am counting her age up to when she get old enough to play.
Lol count down 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 lmao how many years is that for the Sims 2 new generation ?

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Mad Poster
#18 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 12:10 AM
For my part, if I am able, I fully intend to play The Sims 2 until the Grim Reaper comes for me. There are Sims in my game whom I love so much, that I never want to be parted from them.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 12:14 AM
I will never abandon my Sims, never.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 12:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lauratje86
80+, really?! I hope that I'm still playing TS2 when I'm 80+!

(Just another 50 years to go!)

No, my bad. I remembered the age wrong. Oldest I know about was 76 back in March 2016.

Maxons age poll and thread where members post their ages.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Instructor
#21 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 12:50 AM
Sims 2 may be done for you but never for me! I just came from Sims 4 to enjoy this game, and I'm glad I did! I won't be going back either! Sims 2 is chock full of beauty and complexity absent in latter iterations. I never cared about, or got attached to my Sims 4 sims, but I have with my Sim 2 sims.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 1:04 AM
I don't think so. I play the BASE GAME on my laptop and still stay hooked for hours. And I've been playing the same save for almost a year now (which is my personal record by the way) so I'm very attached to my characters and won't be letting them go anytime soon.

Also, TS2 forums and downloads are still very active, so there's that
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#23 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 1:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
I mean no harm to OP, but few things have the ability to annoy me so quickly as the never ending "Is TS2 even alive?" and "Is TS2 going to die?" posts. It takes literally two minutes of research in the very place you are asking the question to get your answer.

I get that this OP meant more of a "will there be new generations after us" and not an immediate is it dead now, but still gets my goat. Considering the active ages of the people here ranges from 13 to 80+ 75+, I'd say it's an irrelevant question for the next 70 years.

I will just ditto all of that.

I also find it ironic that this type of post gets posted on one of the most active sims 2 sites. I mean does it look dead?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#24 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 1:47 AM
I'm sick of this topic being brought up again and again. And shockingly TS2 has not died between bringings up.

You'd expect a topic like this to be brought up if the game was almost dead and I really don't think that's the case. Maybe the OP is from EA and is trying to figure out if there's any chance of making us switch to TS4.
Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 1:54 AM Last edited by billielith : 9th Feb 2017 at 2:07 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I will just ditto all of that.

I also find it ironic that this type of post gets posted on one of the most active sims 2 sites. I mean does it look dead?
Hmm, yeah. I guess I have been among the annoyances, I remember asking that question a few times in the last years, lol.

I suppose I spend a lot of time sleeping under rocks, but I didn't realize we were so many to still stick to this version (Sims 2). I keep feeling like I am out of date still playing/creating it.

Whenever I show my creations to non-players, I always get the same question "But isn't there a Sims 3 or even Sims 4? Why do you still create for such an old game? What is the gain?" - I just like Sims 2 better. Creating and sharing makes me happy. I am glad that I am not the only one.

In 2008 an art teacher crushed my confidence in my artistic abilities. Here, having people appreciating my little things is one of the rare things that help me heal from it - I am still on the process of healing from it, I haven't yet recovered the confidence I had "before that teacher", but every little artistic thing I share here helps me progress.

If Sims 2 had to die, I suppose I could start over, go through a ton of tutorials again, and start creating for the newer game. But I'll doubt I'll want to, or find the freetime.

What I am trying to say is that I am glad that we all keep Sims 2 alive, players and creators. We rule!

I know I can't do it, but I'm still going to do it. - M. C. Escher
Page 1 of 13