Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#26 Old 1st Mar 2017 at 1:36 AM
Not sure if I can call my storytelling 'hood the longest running in my game, since it's perma-Monday (so the school bus never arrives), but the 'hood has run quite well since 2007 or 2008.
Advertisement
Scholar
#27 Old 1st Mar 2017 at 3:20 AM
@rielynn71 The only cousins I have married are because one was adopted in and I just thought it was funny. I usually use SimBlender now to set family tags properly.

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Field Researcher
#28 Old 1st Mar 2017 at 5:22 AM
I had one accidental second cousin marriage and thought I'd be ok with it, since those families didn't interact. Then I began making a family tree to keep track and it started freaking me out, so now I mark all the cousins as related - 2nd, 3rd, once and twice removed as well as great aunts and uncles.

I also used SimPE to umarry the cousin-spouses, since they didn't have kids. It's still in their SWAF histories though, so I imagine sometimes they wake up from bad dreams that they married their cousin. XD

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis is a severely disabling neurological, cardiac and metabolic disease.
The Hummingbirds' Foundation for M.E. is fighting for patients to be given recognition and appropriate medical care.
Please visit hfme.org for more information.
Theorist
#29 Old 1st Mar 2017 at 7:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by rielynn71
I had one accidental second cousin marriage and thought I'd be ok with it, since those families didn't interact. Then I began making a family tree to keep track and it started freaking me out, so now I mark all the cousins as related - 2nd, 3rd, once and twice removed as well as great aunts and uncles.

I also used SimPE to umarry the cousin-spouses, since they didn't have kids. It's still in their SWAF histories though, so I imagine sometimes they wake up from bad dreams that they married their cousin. XD

I dunno I quite love Broke-Broke weddings whenever i run Pleasantview for a longer period. Since they start off as basically hicks it's kinda fun to have them "keeping it in the family" and imagine their second/third/whatever cousin marriages as "high class" events scored by banjo music.
Instructor
Original Poster
#30 Old 1st Mar 2017 at 2:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion
I dunno I quite love Broke-Broke weddings whenever i run Pleasantview for a longer period. Since they start off as basically hicks it's kinda fun to have them "keeping it in the family" and imagine their second/third/whatever cousin marriages as "high class" events scored by banjo music.

*sigh* Honey Boo Boo much?
Forum Resident
#32 Old 1st Mar 2017 at 6:22 PM
I tend to have one integrated 'hood with a self-imposed rule set that I play intensely for about 6 months before I move on to a new 'hood. At the same time, I have a couple of more casual 'hoods, usually in setups with smaller downloads folders. These get played only occasionally while my main 'hood gets hours/week. At about the 5 month mark with the integrated 'hood, I normally have an idea for a new 'hood and I let it sit in the back of my mind until something happens, such as a trip taking me away from home or a computer problem that affects my game. When I get back into my normal routine, I then start my new 'hood with the intention of playing both it and my old one. The new one gets almost all of my attention for a couple of months, but after that I try to pop into the old 'hood from time to time. If the two 'hoods are in separate game folders, the old hood generally survives a few more months. After about six months with the new 'hood, I again start another one, and the older 'hood gets left behind. I tend to alternate modern and fantasy-medieval setups, so only have one long-running 'hood of each type going at a time. I keep intending to go back to older 'hoods, but so far something has always prevented it.

My current medieval 'hood is my longest running one at seven months and the first born-in-game sims are just about ready for university. Last summer I got a new computer, and this is the only large 'hood I've got right now, though I do have an apocalypse challenge setup and a minimal cc hood for challenges and building. I do miss my old modern 'hood, but it didn't copy over to the new computer correctly. I've had ideas for a new modern 'hood for the last two months, but I want to get my download archive sorted out and carefully filter what I want to include in that setup before I start the hood. My cc archive had been spread across two computers and an external drive, so I've been consolidating it and organizing the files in a more consistent way. I have edited a terrain for use in the new 'hood and set up the templates as I think I want them, but haven't created the 'hood yet. I'm still puzzling over the download mix I want (ACR or not? and what recolours? which eyes?), and I need to adjust my lighting mod for a modern game (I'm using Gunmod's Radiance with Almighty Hat's World Lit by Fire right now).
Scholar
#33 Old 2nd Mar 2017 at 6:05 AM
My current longest-running hood is Sheffield, which I started last month! I seem to be rather hard on computers, and I don't transfer old games to new machines even if I have backups, so I started over in June with Strangetown and a BaCC, but they got corrupted by an issue with learning Fire Safety, so I finally got patched and got some mods (I may have been the longest-running pure vanilla player!) and started Sheffield.

The hood I played for the longest time was probably my very first Strangetown. I started out playing just Ajay Loner, then his son Cameron, then Cameron's kids, until Elizabeth flirted with Johnny Smith and got rebuffed because he was going steady with Ophelia. After that, I started playing the rest of the pre-mades, and it lasted long enough for Tank's grandson to marry his (Tank's) half-brother's daughter - reuniting the two branches of the Grunt family in true royal style, and bringing the entire fortune back into a single line.
Instructor
Original Poster
#34 Old 2nd Mar 2017 at 6:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BlueAlien
My current longest-running hood is Sheffield, which I started last month! I seem to be rather hard on computers, and I don't transfer old games to new machines even if I have backups, so I started over in June with Strangetown and a BaCC, but they got corrupted by an issue with learning Fire Safety, so I finally got patched and got some mods (I may have been the longest-running pure vanilla player!) and started Sheffield.

The hood I played for the longest time was probably my very first Strangetown. I started out playing just Ajay Loner, then his son Cameron, then Cameron's kids, until Elizabeth flirted with Johnny Smith and got rebuffed because he was going steady with Ophelia. After that, I started playing the rest of the pre-mades, and it lasted long enough for Tank's grandson to marry his (Tank's) half-brother's daughter - reuniting the two branches of the Grunt family in true royal style, and bringing the entire fortune back into a single line.

Haha, I feel as if I have to quit if too much drama exists in my game (regarding relationships and the like). I find it exhausting... Anyways, was your strange town corrupted any?
Quote:
I tend to have one integrated 'hood with a self-imposed rule set that I play intensely for about 6 months before I move on to a new 'hood. At the same time, I have a couple of more casual 'hoods, usually in setups with smaller downloads folders. These get played only occasionally while my main 'hood gets hours/week. At about the 5 month mark with the integrated 'hood, I normally have an idea for a new 'hood and I let it sit in the back of my mind until something happens, such as a trip taking me away from home or a computer problem that affects my game. When I get back into my normal routine, I then start my new 'hood with the intention of playing both it and my old one. The new one gets almost all of my attention for a couple of months, but after that I try to pop into the old 'hood from time to time. If the two 'hoods are in separate game folders, the old hood generally survives a few more months. After about six months with the new 'hood, I again start another one, and the older 'hood gets left behind. I tend to alternate modern and fantasy-medieval setups, so only have one long-running 'hood of each type going at a time. I keep intending to go back to older 'hoods, but so far something has always prevented it.

I honestly wish I could keep up with as many hoods as you do! I only have one large neighborhood-I guess I prefer to work on them one at a time! :D
Forum Resident
#35 Old 2nd Mar 2017 at 7:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Emperor Crat
I honestly wish I could keep up with as many hoods as you do! I only have one large neighborhood-I guess I prefer to work on them one at a time! :D

I think what I'm doing works out to 1 large 'hood at a time and I didn't mean to sound as if I was juggling a lot of them. When I start a new town, the older one is still there and I try to keep it up by visiting it now and again (once every 2-4 weeks), but my newest 'hood is always my most focused. I keep intending to go back to the older one intensely again when I get tired of the new (at that 6 month lag mark) but it's never worked out for me. Part of it is that I like creating new hoods and I can't keep more than 1 on the front burner and 1 on the back in my mind, despite keeping a set of notes on each sim and household for my intensive 'hoods. The 'hood on the back burner never seems to get moved to the front again, despite my best intentions.

My casual 'hoods aren't something I keep up with at all - no notes and very little awareness of the 'hood beyond the household I'm currently playing. They are just setups with particular download combinations that I open up for a bit to goof around in when I don't want to play my normal hood. In those 'hoods, I don't take the trouble to track the population or take any notes. For the most part, a household gets played for an evening and then never touched again in those throw-aways - a short term challenge in a minimal mod setup, for example. The exception to that is my apocalypse challenge hood, but for that town I'm paying more attention to the restrictions than to my sim - who's name I've again forgotten. I know he's just made friends with Benjamin Long, but I never thought to check what my founder his wife's names were while I was playing that hood a couple of days ago. I've got a couple of non-challenge households of bin sims, but they aren't being played in any sort of rotation with the challenge family - honestly, they are there mostly to provide zombies to make the challenge stranger.

I do think my casual 'hoods are what's helping my current medieval 'hood to survive longer than normal. They provide a quick break, but I'm choosing not to get so wrapped up in them that I don't go back to my main 'hood after a play session or two. That way, I've not been away from my main 'hood long enough to loose the connections to it, but I've also had a chance to have a change of play style and setting.
Instructor
Original Poster
#36 Old 2nd Mar 2017 at 2:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by stitching
I think what I'm doing works out to 1 large 'hood at a time and I didn't mean to sound as if I was juggling a lot of them. When I start a new town, the older one is still there and I try to keep it up by visiting it now and again (once every 2-4 weeks), but my newest 'hood is always my most focused. I keep intending to go back to the older one intensely again when I get tired of the new (at that 6 month lag mark) but it's never worked out for me. Part of it is that I like creating new hoods and I can't keep more than 1 on the front burner and 1 on the back in my mind, despite keeping a set of notes on each sim and household for my intensive 'hoods. The 'hood on the back burner never seems to get moved to the front again, despite my best intentions.

My casual 'hoods aren't something I keep up with at all - no notes and very little awareness of the 'hood beyond the household I'm currently playing. They are just setups with particular download combinations that I open up for a bit to goof around in when I don't want to play my normal hood. In those 'hoods, I don't take the trouble to track the population or take any notes. For the most part, a household gets played for an evening and then never touched again in those throw-aways - a short term challenge in a minimal mod setup, for example. The exception to that is my apocalypse challenge hood, but for that town I'm paying more attention to the restrictions than to my sim - who's name I've again forgotten. I know he's just made friends with Benjamin Long, but I never thought to check what my founder his wife's names were while I was playing that hood a couple of days ago. I've got a couple of non-challenge households of bin sims, but they aren't being played in any sort of rotation with the challenge family - honestly, they are there mostly to provide zombies to make the challenge stranger.

I do think my casual 'hoods are what's helping my current medieval 'hood to survive longer than normal. They provide a quick break, but I'm choosing not to get so wrapped up in them that I don't go back to my main 'hood after a play session or two. That way, I've not been away from my main 'hood long enough to loose the connections to it, but I've also had a chance to have a change of play style and setting.

I might try side 'hoods now, maybe just to take a break..
Scholar
#37 Old 2nd Mar 2017 at 8:38 PM
From about November... Pleasantview.

I haven't been playing much.
Instructor
Original Poster
#38 Old 2nd Mar 2017 at 11:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by alljoj
From about November... Pleasantview.

I haven't been playing much.

I can never seem to play Pleasantview for more than roughly 2 sim days-I'm not one for drama... Or at least, too much drama!
Scholar
#39 Old 3rd Mar 2017 at 1:29 AM
I think I live and breathe drama.

My current save added to the drama.

Help.
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 6th Mar 2017 at 12:34 AM
I've played all pre-made hoods for 10 years.

Sims 2 Rocks! :D
Mad Poster
#41 Old 6th Mar 2017 at 7:17 AM
You all inspired me to fire up my old hood and start fixing some of the problems with it I remembered what I was worried about - importing Elsewhere into Bon Voyage - but it seems not to have suffered.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Instructor
Original Poster
#42 Old 6th Mar 2017 at 10:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
You all inspired me to fire up my old hood and start fixing some of the problems with it I remembered what I was worried about - importing Elsewhere into Bon Voyage - but it seems not to have suffered.

That's great! Glad we inspired you! I hope you enjoy your old hood! Unfortunately, I deleted my OLDEST one due to severe corruption...
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 12th Mar 2017 at 11:02 PM
I have another save state of Veronaville I keep backups of which dates back to ~2005. It basically has just one big family in 3 generations, including 3 businesses of the grandfather.
I still remember how I ran into some stupid neighborhood corruption after restoring the files after a year of not playing, just to find 1 business and the youngest family lot missing from Veronaville. I posted for help on the old SimPE forums where someone quickly replied, sending over Mootilda to work out the issues I had - and with her help I could get rid of the nasty bugs. Thanks again, Mootilda, I wish you could read this nowadays...
Inventor
#44 Old 13th Mar 2017 at 3:41 PM
Longest Running Neighborhood? (Corrupted) Csonka Canon. I played that one for over two years. I probably could still let it run a bit longer, since I have copies of it stored and could try some repair here and there, but I moved on by now.
(Sidenote: However, you never know if I get nostalgic some day. )
The newest is Fayport. I play this one for a number of months now and like to exceed the two years. I'm not sure if that will happen, since I just use a custom version of the game itself and I read often those can be already 'wonky' from the start.
Field Researcher
#45 Old 13th Mar 2017 at 9:46 PM
I played Zentralia almost daily for the best part of four and a half years until it got corrupted over Christmas. Not unplayably uncorrupted, but one sim just kept disappearing whenever I started the rotation from scratch, even though I wasn't playing his house. This upset me so much I totally gafiated from Sims 2 for two months, which is why I haven't been posting here lately. Now drifting back into the game through my other hood, which I'm not so emotionally invested in.
Mad Poster
#46 Old 13th Mar 2017 at 11:24 PM
Since my computers keep dying and eating their entire hard drives, I don't have any saves from less recently than last year. But I'd consider how long in game I've been playing a hood far more important than how long irl. I've been playing this game off and on since it came out, but I've never played a hood properly synced before my most recent install. I think I've only ever seen one sim die of old age (Olive) and I've only ever manged to play two teens through uni and into adulthood (Ophelia and Johnny). I've always been wanting complex multi-generational family trees, so I've been keeping everything synced this time in hopes that I'll actually get to see that!

I currently have one hood I've played until partway into the first Winter! Yay! It only has two households. (That's my "Frontier Challenge" hood. One household is mine and the other is my husband's. They recently managed to unlock cellphones and can actually invite each other over.)

The "normal sized" hood, Four Corners/Bitville, is currently working its way through the first Fall (though a few households are still on that first day and haven't quite made it into Fall yet). There's been one wedding plus two additional engagements and I think a total of 6 babies born (including Fiona and Bailey's twins). Only major drama so far was when Warring caught Ashley cheating (they're so far the only divorce), but strangely everyone seems more excited to gossip about the time Sherman burned dinner!
Forum Resident
#47 Old 14th Mar 2017 at 12:24 AM
The current hood I'm playing has been going for 4 real years and about 14 sim generations. I did do more generations once, but with only one family, legacy-style in a different hood, and that didn't take anywhere near 4 years either.
Field Researcher
#48 Old 15th Mar 2017 at 1:23 AM
The longest was two years; the current one -- "Heron Hills" --- has been played for about a year and a half. Like European nobility, my sims have no problems marrying 2nd cousins. Besides, I love complicated family trees.

After starting with six single sims, the hood has grown organically to 30 households and 106 sims The oldest gen 4 kids are almost adults. Much of the 2nd gen has died, but lifespans vary so many of the survivors I expect to be around for a while yet.

It sucks when neighborhoods (inevitably?) die, but I also enjoy the starting over part, so there is always a silver lining. And like with neighbourhoods, gameplay also evolves, so I don't feel like I'm going backwards.
Field Researcher
#49 Old 15th Mar 2017 at 3:49 PM
My current 'hood Arid Texarcana has been around since summer 2015

❈ "Well, you know what they say: if you don't have anything nice to say about anybody, come sit by me!" ❈
– Clairee Belcher, "Steel Magnolias"
Page 2 of 2