Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
#26 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 4:01 PM
I always have them throw it out and remake the meal, even if household funds are low and the fridge nearly empty. It grosses me out to see sims eating burned or spoiled food.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#27 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 4:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Goldenbtrfly
I toss it UNLESS it is a poor neighborhood or the last food stock in the fridge. I don't know if it's still a thing present in the game, as I haven't seen it in a while. I know it's a low chance, but it's still a chance!

Food Poisoning
Symptoms - Vomiting, nausea
Fatal? Yes
Contagious? No
There is a 5% chance any time a Sim eats spoiled or burned food that the Sim will get food poisoning. This can occur if food spoils while a Sim is eating it, or if sloppy Sims eat out of the rubbish bin.

They can die from eating burnt food?

My Simblr
He/They
Inventor
#28 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 5:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wickedjr89
They can die from eating burnt food?

I think that's about spoiled food.
My sims don't eat spoiled food. Even when they try, I stop them.
And yes, I did read burned food was mentioned also, but although my sims eat burned food all the freaking time, they never died from it.
Top Secret Researcher
#29 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 5:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mirjampenning
I think that's about spoiled food.
My sims don't eat spoiled food. Even when they try, I stop them.
And yes, I did read burned food was mentioned also, but although my sims eat burned food all the freaking time, they never died from it.

Yeah. I've seen sims get food poisoning...always because the food spoiled while they were eating it though my Sims have never died from it but they don't eat spoiled food often and the chance is apparently low, only when I don't catch it in time do they eat spoiled food. I may be cruel enough to make them eat burned food but not spoiled I've never seen them get food poisoning from burnt food to my knowledge..just gag at eating it to which I just always tell them "you burnt it, you eat it"

My Simblr
He/They
Top Secret Researcher
#30 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 8:35 PM
Yeah. I've seen sims get food poisoning...always because the food spoiled while they were eating it though my Sims have never died from it but they don't eat spoiled food often and the chance is apparently low, only when I don't catch it in time do they eat spoiled food. I may be cruel enough to make them eat burned food but not spoiled I've never seen them get food poisoning from burnt food to my knowledge..just gag at eating it to which I just always tell them "you burnt it, you eat it"

I have seen food poisoning from eating the burned food, but it's rare. I haven't seen a Sim die from it though, but then again when someone gets sick, I'm fairly good about making sure they get rest to recover.
Top Secret Researcher
#31 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 8:43 PM
I have seen food poisoning from eating the burned food, but it's rare. I haven't seen a Sim die from it though, but then again when someone gets sick, I'm fairly good about making sure they get rest to recover.

Ah. I believe I have a mod for less chance of burned food too. It doesn't make the chance 0% so my Sims still burn food sometimes but not that often. Well if a Sim of mine dies...I can always bring them back as a zombie. I swear I love my pixels..... Though I do see how it makes sense to only make them eat it if say they are poor or about to starve to death, or something of that nature. Maybe i'll try to remember that.

I've never had a Sim die of the flu either but I know they can. As soon as I see a sim is sick i'm on top of them to make sure they get better and don't spread it around to every other Sim.

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#32 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 8:52 PM
They eat it! but they probably won't put the leftovers in the fridge.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
#33 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 9:02 PM
Obviously, if my sims are composting the burned food, it's not actually "going to waste."
And irl it really depends on how burned something is for if I'll still eat it. If I can scrape/pick the burned bits off, I'll eat it. Otherwise, no.
Inventor
#34 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 10:44 PM
As soon as I see a sim is sick i'm on top of them to make sure they get better and don't spread it around to every other Sim.

That's how I'm like, being an overbearing mother to whoever gets sick and will keep an eye on them until they fully recover.

During my short experience playing my base game's hard copy, I had a Sim fall ill twice after returning from work. Immediately, I would tend to their bladder and hygiene, have them grab a snack if they're a tad famished, and send them straight to bed afterward. Even when they get up to cough or sneeze (although coughing would normally mean recovery), I force them back to bed. When they're not tired, I'll have them relax and watch some television (which would be the same TV I pulled from the living room). Within a few hours, the Sim was fully well again, even before their normal bedtime.

I never experienced any Sims with the flu either, but I always make sure the trash is disposed of properly before the vermin ever emerge.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#35 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 10:50 PM
I use a mod so that they don't leave the stove while cooking, that helps.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#36 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 10:56 PM
I leave them for my imprisoned slaves to eat it.
Mad Poster
#37 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 11:57 PM
I make them throw it out, compost and then try to cook it again until they get it good.
I do not see the point in punishing them for learning. This is how the game works. Either accidental (random for no particular reason) either because they are fairly new at cooking. Whatever the reason might be, I don't let them eat it.
Food poisoning is one of my fear as well, as mentioned before. I do not have mods that keeps them from burning food, but I have one that make any illness much worst..so i take no chances. And it also gross me out to see it.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Scholar
#38 Old 18th Mar 2017 at 11:46 AM
If they have low Cooking points I make them eat it, but if they are skilled over 5 I make them redo the meal.

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Inventor
#39 Old 18th Mar 2017 at 2:02 PM
only when I don't catch it in time do they eat spoiled food. I may be cruel enough to make them eat burned food but not spoiled I've never seen them get food poisoning from burnt food to my knowledge..

One might slip through in my hood as well. You can't keep an eye on them all 24/7
I don't think it's cruel to let them or force them to eat the food they burned. Nothing happens to them because of it, only maybe a not so nice dinner. Well, I don't care. That's life.
Also pretty sure that none of my sims ever got food poisening from eating burned food. I wonder if that 5% is calculated too high?

I swear I love my pixels.....
As soon as I see a sim is sick i'm on top of them to make sure they get better and don't spread it around to every other Sim.

Well, I wish them the best too. I don't think I wish them ill-will because they have to eat the burned food, lol.
When they do get sick, the flu or a cold, I'm on top of it as well. Mainly for the sole purpose of preventing it from spreading.
Mad Poster
#40 Old 18th Mar 2017 at 3:08 PM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 18th Mar 2017 at 3:59 PM. Reason: silly typos!!
I generally let them eat it, unless it looks very unappetising. But I may re-assess what I do in the light of this thread, since I see so many people get them to throw it out and cook it again. I generally consider myself kinder to my Sims than most players, so I'm a bit embarrassed! In this respect other people are being kinder to my Sims than I am! Perhaps my problem is that generally, if I burn food, I eat it. Only if I burn it very badly do I throw it away. I know it's supposed to be carcinogenic now, but I usually just take a chance -- after all I shouldn't have burnt it. I hate wasting food -- even in The Sims. I think I may have to consult my Sims about this one. If they really hate eating this burnt food and they're not too sorely pressed for time or money, I'll maybe let them throw it away and make fresh, even though, in the same circumstances I'm sure I'd just eat it myself. (Actually there are some kinds of food that I like nearly, but not quite, burnt.)
That's interesting. The (wikia) wiki used to say (and maybe still does) that Sims could get food poisoning from burnt food. For that reason, for a while I did get my Sims to throw away their burnt food. But the general consensus on this forum seemed to be that they only got food poisoning from food that had gone bad. So I let them eat it again. Myself I think I've only see them get food poisoning from gone-off food, but sometimes I'm not sure how they've got it. I'm generally a very careful player, but I don't see everything they do! If they do get ill, then they get thoroughly mollycoddled until they're better again. No work or school. Lots of bed rest. If they're not in bed then they're in comfy armchairs and sofas, and they only have to stand up to go to the toilet or to eat.

My Sims only occasionally burn food, as they have a lot of mods to help them. In additions to Squinge's No more fires mod, I have a less burning food with cooking skill mod (NoBurningFoodHighLevel.package), and a dontwalkawaywhilecooking mod. Moreover the community skilling mod I use (by Squinge) means that all Sims gain skill for any cooking they do on any lot. As a result Katey Ross, my dorm cafeteria cook currently has 9.50 cooking points. So I haven't seen any disasters in my dorm cafeterias. In fact I wish, with all that cooking skill, Katey would be a bit more adventurous in the food she cooks for the students.

I wish the dontwalkawaywhilecooking mod worked an me as well as on my Sims, and then I wouldn't burn so much food myself. Far too often I walk out of the kitchen to go to my computer to read the latest posts on MTS!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Inventor
#41 Old 18th Mar 2017 at 3:25 PM
It's interesting how burned food can cause sickness, but I suppose certain food in real life can do that as well. Then on the other hand, I'm sure we have enjoyed or at least tolerated some foods being burnt.
Mad Poster
#42 Old 18th Mar 2017 at 5:17 PM
This thread is reminding me of something. Do your guys' Sims eat spoiled food? Mine sit down to do so, but the interaction falls out of queue before they start eating. I've assumed I have a mod that stops them and haven't bothered figuring out which one, but I'd kind of like that option out there for desperate Sims, so now I'm wondering if it's vanilla or if I do have a mod I should track down.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Mad Poster
#43 Old 18th Mar 2017 at 5:22 PM
Maybe it,s the noeatcrap..
http://cyjon.net/node/248

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Scholar
#44 Old 18th Mar 2017 at 6:31 PM
In 8 times of 10 I let them eat it. So far nobody have become sick from it. Sure, they do gag and make other noises but that's all. the only sim I have seen sick after eating was the local slob but she did, on the other hand, eat out of the trachcan. I can not recall now what she did, if she did lock a little sick and puked or just spit it out but that's not important. (She lives whit a family no so she gets frech food instead)

How do you compost the spoiled food? It must be a mod or did I miss anything? (Just interested).
Instructor
#45 Old 18th Mar 2017 at 6:54 PM
If a sim burns their food, the wretch has to eat it! It's their fault-not mine. They're the incompetent ones!
Mad Poster
#46 Old 18th Mar 2017 at 7:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Emperor Crat
If a sim burns their food, the wretch has to eat it! It's their fault-not mine. They're the incompetent ones!
I won't try that argument with my Sims, 'coz I'd only lose if I did. I burn my food (and then eat it) far more often than my Sims do! So it would only be too obvious who the incompetent cook round here is! Especially if I'm up again Katey Ross (my dorm cook). She never burns anything!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Inventor
#47 Old 18th Mar 2017 at 8:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
This thread is reminding me of something. Do your guys' Sims eat spoiled food? Mine sit down to do so, but the interaction falls out of queue before they start eating. I've assumed I have a mod that stops them and haven't bothered figuring out which one, but I'd kind of like that option out there for desperate Sims, so now I'm wondering if it's vanilla or if I do have a mod I should track down.

Pescado's noeatcrap is probably the culprit. For some reason, it allows sims to queue up the action to eat, even though they won't follow through. If you want your very Sloppy or very hungry sims to have the option to eat spoiled food (while stopping most other sims), I suggest Cyjon's version (that Rosebine linked) along with Cyjon's No Spoiled Food (linked on the Cyjon noeatcrap page). The nice thing about Cyjon's version is it stops the action from queuing in the first place for sims who won't complete the action of eating. Any sim that is Neat enough and not starving won't even look at the food (except maybe to clean it up). But if the sim is Sloppy enough or starving, they'll be allowed to queue the action and actually eat the food.
Mad Poster
#48 Old 18th Mar 2017 at 8:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
Do your guys' Sims eat spoiled food? Mine sit down to do so, but the interaction falls out of queue before they start eating. I've assumed I have a mod that stops them and haven't bothered figuring out which one, but I'd kind of like that option out there for desperate Sims, so now I'm wondering if it's vanilla or if I do have a mod I should track down.

It sounds like you have the noeatcrap from MATY. I recently replaced it with Cyjon's version since I liked the features of his better. With the MATY one, they still sit down to eat it but then realize it's spoiled and look off into the distance. With Cyjon's, they realize it's spoiled from a distance so they don't even route towards it. There are a few other minor differences as well, but that's the one that sold me on Cyjon's.

Quote: Originally posted by Mrmo
How do you compost the spoiled food?

You throw the food in the trash and then "compost contents" on the trash. This requires that no dishwasher or sink be available or they'll dump it there instead. No mods technically required, but I do use nobathroomdishes so I can have bathroom sinks and they'll still throw dishes in the trash. (Note: that's probably not the intended purpose of nobathroomdishes.)
Mad Poster
#49 Old 18th Mar 2017 at 8:48 PM
Food should not be wasted, I agree. Burning it is wasting it Destroying the flavours and the taste of any meal. And unhealthy too. I may prefer to make my Sim sit down and study a bit more cooking, but he or she will eat cereal if necessary. No burnt food - ever. And no spoiled food either, if I can help it (cleaned up quickly in my game, I seldom see spoiled food except on community lots, where my neat Sims will clean it up anyway, hopefully before one of my playables that I am not controlling have a go at it).
Mad Poster
#50 Old 18th Mar 2017 at 9:24 PM
I sound a lot of cheaty but I installed Dizzy's
pizza-stays-fresh and leftover-hack2
and Simsky's(MTS) durable food
so my sims never see spoiled food and don't spend a lot of simoleons on food to throw away.
In my game there is no waste money on food.
Of course sims will burn food and sometimes set fire in the kitchen, even then "You can eat it, you will eat it!"
Page 2 of 3