Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#51 Old 17th Apr 2017 at 6:00 AM
Girl's reaction over how plantsims look is pretty much identical to mine:

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
Advertisement
Theorist
#52 Old 17th Apr 2017 at 1:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by spidergirl79
Well I like it better than seeing all my sims dressed up for day of the dead. I prefer non-religious events.

And I'd prefer no events at all, because EA has no business deciding when I want to play what.

Quote: Originally posted by drake_mccarty
for the people at Maxis it's "just the beginning! There's so much in store!"

There's more? Are we never gonna get Sims 5? I'm still holding on to the hope that it might be a worthwhile game (for me) again.

Or better yet, just give me a Sims 2 remaster.
Test Subject
#53 Old 17th Apr 2017 at 3:15 PM
I hate that they did not change the hair or gave us some more options for the outfits. There are more mods coming out that allow plantsims to stay plantsims etc. but I think they did a poor job on the whole bringing back the plant sims thing.

◊☆кαмιℓє257☆◊
Lab Assistant
#54 Old 17th Apr 2017 at 5:50 PM
I kind of liked Plantsims in The Sims 2, but then again, that was when EA put thought into the Sims. Now, it's just a bunch of streamlined "content" with a nice facade, but severely lacking in depth.
Mad Poster
#55 Old 17th Apr 2017 at 7:26 PM
But... TACTILE!

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Scholar
#56 Old 17th Apr 2017 at 11:35 PM
I mean c'mon! Who wouldn't want to turn their sim into the jolly green giant????

Ho ho ho! Green Giant! LMFAO!

Also, I like this challenge for gardener aspiring sims and also for this sim pictured, who is a scientist, its a perfect challenge.
Instructor
Original Poster
#57 Old 18th Apr 2017 at 1:44 AM
I like this challenge for gardener aspiring sims and also for this sim pictured, who is a scientist, its a perfect challenge.

*thinks back to Sims 3 when you could use science equipment without the career and could essentially create plantsims like some kind of mad genetic engineer meddling with the laws of nature*

Yeah...this is a step down
Scholar
#58 Old 18th Apr 2017 at 2:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DesereiPandemoni
*thinks back to Sims 3 when you could use science equipment without the career and could essentially create plantsims like some kind of mad genetic engineer meddling with the laws of nature*

Yeah...this is a step down

You don't need the career to do this challenge. Its true, you cant use the lab but its just to make potions...
Field Researcher
#59 Old 18th Apr 2017 at 4:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion
And I'd prefer no events at all, because EA has no business deciding when I want to play what.

There's more? Are we never gonna get Sims 5? I'm still holding on to the hope that it might be a worthwhile game (for me) again.

Or better yet, just give me a Sims 2 remaster.

Maybe, just maybe if Sims 5 doesn't start out as an online game they can avoid the clusterfuck of issues they've made for themselves with this game.

Then again, they've made some pretty shitty decisions with the offline game so it really could go either way. Maybe for Sims 5 EA should invest in a better management setup. Clearly there's issues if one team can accomplish something relatively good and the other release a garbage EP with more restrictions than fucking features. Pardon me, but I mean really.
Field Researcher
#60 Old 18th Apr 2017 at 4:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
At least the leaves for the Green Giant look like a outfit rather than awkwardly sticking out of his arm, the back of his neck, ect... Leaves are not darts and to the best my knowledge there is no game called "Pin the Leaves on the Sim" in TS4.

Be ruthless, EA. Remember all those obnoxious buzz words your PR dept came up with almost 3 years ago? I challenge you to make 'weird' interesting and presentable, free content or not. For all the drama over how there won't be a TS5 if people don't buy TS4, you're not making a case for yourself.

Is The Sims 4 still doing that 'weird' stuff? With how quickly that, and pretty much every other marketing line disappeared I figured it was just shitty marketing mixed with damage control.

I think their new one liner is "were doing things differently with this game". Wonder if they replaced that creepy boob loving marketing dude.. You are totally right though, they have failed to follow through on many of their PR statements, although most were probably just poorly thought through statements they hoped would save some sales.
Instructor
Original Poster
#61 Old 19th Apr 2017 at 1:36 AM
You don't need the career to do this challenge. Its true, you cant use the lab but its just to make potions...

Just makes potions! He says! Just makes potions! I take it you don't roleplay often good sir
Scholar
#62 Old 19th Apr 2017 at 9:07 AM
Just makes potions! He says! Just makes potions! I take it you don't roleplay often good sir

That's ma'am to you! *She says LOL. Um... well... I mean they also do inventing of tech on that invention machine thingy. Do I roleplay in the game? I mean I clone sims and bring them home to torture them in my basement if that's what you mean... everything I do in Sims 4 revolves around use of imagination and story lines.
Mad Poster
#63 Old 19th Apr 2017 at 8:08 PM
That's ma'am to you! *She says LOL. Um... well... I mean they also do inventing of tech on that invention machine thingy. Do I roleplay in the game? I mean I clone sims and bring them home to torture them in my basement if that's what you mean... everything I do in Sims 4 revolves around use of imagination and story lines.

I would say spidergirl is a pretty good hint you are a she also or you would be spiderboy. (!)

Sims is a sandbox, so we absolutely need imagination to make something of it. And that is the fun of it for me.
Instructor
#64 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 1:43 AM
I always wondered why green and blue skin tones were made for human sims, at least the patch gave the green skin tone purpose, it was pretty efficient use of things already available. the hair may be nothing new but i like the fact that it changes color, i wish it was possible to find a way to program other hairstyles to do it so I can have a proper poison ivy in my game
Instructor
Original Poster
#65 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 6:25 AM

If I wanted to use my imagination I'd still play with dolls, Sims is supposed to provide me with whatever I need to SIMULATE the life I want my Sims to live. The science in Sims 3 was always my favourite, it had the most traits dedicated to it, the most items and the most versatility. I could make 2 different kinds of robots, clone whoever, create ungodly and heretical human plant hybrids (which I would then make look distinctly bovine with cc) and cook chemical weapons in my garage, also occassionally blur the line between fantasy and reality by making the voices in my head real and I didn't need to waste my sims lifetime in a stupid career to do it. If I was a scientist it was because I liked the added appeal of the title along with the skills and not because I couldn't gain the skills without joining the career.
Scholar
#66 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 10:46 AM
I won't disagree with the general sentiment that TS4 could have been better, but I will disagree with the "If I wanted to use my imagination I'd still play with dolls" way to put it. And not just because I called The Sims series the best virtual doll-house since TS1 came out.

The fact is, the two aren't mutually exclusive. The choice isn't mutually exclusive between having a good game or having an imagination. In fact, I'd say the former is a foundation for the latter. There'd be no point in using your imagination to build a house, for example, if sims didn't actually use that stuff, or if you upload it then other people use actually in game. And even the simulation part, and those fluid dynamics that Will Wright talked about way back when, is actually something that's conducive to using your imagination -- even if it's just to optimize the house or daily routine of your sims -- rather than a substitute for it. The game is the foundation upon which imagination builds the rest.

The way I would put it is more like my having an imagination isn't a substitute or excuse for whatever a game lacks. And I mean generally, not just TS4, since that pops up about more than one game. If someone complains even about watching paint dry, someone else just has to chime in with "just use your imagination." Yes, well, I can use my imagination even better if the game gives me more stuff for that imagination to work with :p
Mad Poster
#67 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 12:51 PM
"Imagine" in the sense that the player has to mentally fill in gaps where there should be gameplay.

For example: long distance relationships. From what I understand, the game does not acknowledge them, so the player has to "pretend" that they are related, rather than EA solving the issue.

A more extreme example is owning a spa. Technically, you can't, but you can "pretend" by own a retail lot and selling spa equipment, or forcibly giving free massage while sims buy something on the lot, abs opposed to EA creating some mechanics for owning additional lots.

This is a video game - imagination is find, but interaction and simulation are very important.

Scholar
#68 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 8:40 PM
If I wanted to use my imagination I'd still play with dolls, Sims is supposed to provide me with whatever I need to SIMULATE the life I want my Sims to live. The science in Sims 3 was always my favourite, it had the most traits dedicated to it, the most items and the most versatility. I could make 2 different kinds of robots, clone whoever, create ungodly and heretical human plant hybrids (which I would then make look distinctly bovine with cc) and cook chemical weapons in my garage, also occasionally blur the line between fantasy and reality by making the voices in my head real and I didn't need to waste my sims lifetime in a stupid career to do it. If I was a scientist it was because I liked the added appeal of the title along with the skills and not because I couldn't gain the skills without joining the career.

Well damn it! I want to be able to arrest and interrogate people without having to join the police career! This is an outrage. For that matter, why can't I perform surgery on anyone without a medical degree and all the hard work that goes into it?

Also, I think you don't seem to get what I mean by imagination? I don't imagine my sims doing things they can't do in game. I use my imagination to create story lines and back stories surrounding my sims lives.
Scholar
#69 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 8:58 PM
Well, I guess the problem is that that term has become ambiguous by now. It's hard to tell if someone meant "imagination" as in, as you say, coming up with stories to enact, or "imagination" as in, as matrix was mentioning, asking the player to just imagine whatever gameplay is missing. Sadly enough, the latter is the most commony used these days. As I was saying, if you even mention that watching paint dry is boring, some adoring fan of that brandof paint WILL jump in to tell you that you should imagine something happening there, and that it's your failing if you don't imagine something exciting in your head. So unfortunately it's too easy to do the simple induction thing and assume someone meant the latter, if it's not clear which they meant.
Mad Poster
#70 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 11:56 PM
I remember a guru telling us to pretend or something when anplayer asked about content we weren't getting. playing pretend for certain plot elements is fine - especially backnafories that are impossible to fake (liking moving from out of town to start a new life), but when we have to pretend to have a home based business business with a yard sale table and having a party to operate as advertising (especially in TS3) - that's bad.

Scholar
#71 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 12:55 AM
I mean if you really want to do experimenting/potions, there is this:

Scientist have a new hidden trait, which identifies them after quitting the science career. Because of this they can continue to use the chemistry lab even after changing careers."-Crinrict.

Join the career, cheat your way to the top, and then quit. You can still science at home. Unless one has an aversion to using cheats. I generally don't use them myself, but I love the Scientist Career.
Scholar
#72 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 1:49 AM
Well, I think the more irking issue is that of the game having less stuff, than anyone not knowing that you can use cheats to get one specific end reward. In both TS2 and TS3, you had plenty of jobs (hell, in TS2 you had PET jobs too), AND stuff like the science skill and chemistry table and actually a lot of others for everyone. Now those got moved into jobs just to pad the job list, but there isn't anything that took their place in the free-for-all category. It's hard not to think of it as a loss, when nothing actually took the place of those extra skills and activities

Besides, the former skill in TS3 included not just chemistry -- in fact, the chemistry table was extra; it was part of Generations, not University Life -- but a whole lot of other stuff, Using your cheat in fact gives NOTHING that came with the TS3 UL Science skill, it gives something that was previously a part of the Logic skill. AND you have to jump through extra hoops, just because they had to pad the small and unimpressive career list with SOMETHING.

Plus, you still can't do nearly the same with it as you could in TS3. Unless you know how to get children and teens into the science career. Because, yeah, those could use the chemistry set too. So it doesn't even really cover the whole spectrum of the TS3 chemistry table, much less be a replacement for the former Science skill.
Instructor
Original Poster
#73 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 1:57 AM Last edited by DesereiPandemoni : 21st Apr 2017 at 2:14 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Moraelin
I won't disagree with the general sentiment that TS4 could have been better, but I will disagree with the "If I wanted to use my imagination I'd still play with dolls" way to put it. And not just because I called The Sims series the best virtual doll-house since TS1 came out.

The fact is, the two aren't mutually exclusive. The choice isn't mutually exclusive between having a good game or having an imagination. In fact, I'd say the former is a foundation for the latter. There'd be no point in using your imagination to build a house, for example, if sims didn't actually use that stuff, or if you upload it then other people use actually in game. And even the simulation part, and those fluid dynamics that Will Wright talked about way back when, is actually something that's conducive to using your imagination -- even if it's just to optimize the house or daily routine of your sims -- rather than a substitute for it. The game is the foundation upon which imagination builds the rest.

The way I would put it is more like my having an imagination isn't a substitute or excuse for whatever a game lacks. And I mean generally, not just TS4, since that pops up about more than one game. If someone complains even about watching paint dry, someone else just has to chime in with "just use your imagination." Yes, well, I can use my imagination even better if the game gives me more stuff for that imagination to work with :p

I see "Just use your imagination" as a lazy way of letting the Sims developers get away with not including as much gameplay as they could. It's not that I'm against imagination, I'm just against using it as an excuse for not giving sufficient content. Perhaps I could have phrased it better but my point still stands, this is not some real world dollhouse with the limitations that existence brings, there's no excuse for it not taking advantage of the control the digital medium allows. There's no excuse for having less to offer than it's predecessors, I will never accept any justification for the sad state Sims 4 is in, nor will I accept people just giving in to despair and accepting the franchise is dying by EAs hand. As the saying goes "Don't give me excuses give me results!". I firmly believe that if we stop letting them get away with it EA will have no choice but to shape up. For years we've let them get away with selling us less and less for more and more. This has to stop or else "sims 5" will look like a University student majoring in game designs final submission with exactly the scope and replayability one would expect of such a project. If it exists at all.

All these little things, the state the game released in, the devolution of Expansions, the introduction of gamepacks, the dumbing down of traits and now the demotion of Plant Sims, all of it is just a symptom of a larger problem and every excuse just gives it license to continue on it's way. Your a GP the Sims 4 is your paitiant and your withholding your professional opinion about the symptoms your noticing because you "Don't want them to worry" THAT'S what the term "Just use your imagination", or "Fairies replaced Plantsims in Sims 3" or "I never liked Plant Sims anyway" or "Who cares they'll never listen!" looks like to me.

It looks like professional negligence, it looks like bystander sydrome, it looks like sitting in a burning building and saying with a quaint demented smile on your face "This is fine".

And it NEEDS to stop.
Scholar
#74 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 1:58 AM
Well, we are in agreement on that one. Just, as I was saying, the wording seemed to me a bit problematic.
Instructor
Original Poster
#75 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 2:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Moraelin
Well, we are in agreement on that one. Just, as I was saying, the wording seemed to me a bit problematic.

I find the term problematic, problematic because it invites overthinking. Not that I'm against overthinking things or taking things to their logical conclusion. But I believe having a buzz word like problematic gives people far too much license to do so. Overthinking should only be undertaken by people who are willing to recognize when they've gone too far and dial back from it.
Page 3 of 5