Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#26 Old 10th Jun 2017 at 5:20 PM Last edited by Weisskreuz : 10th Jun 2017 at 7:47 PM.
My sister quit S3 when pets came out, because I told her she had to wait for all of her modded beds to be updated for the patch and redownload them or they'd always be unusable.

This patch was nothing compared to what's to come, i'm sure.
Advertisement
Theorist
#27 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 6:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bur1440
I also understand when modders give up trying to keep there mods updated it's a lot of work to keep up.

It wouldn't be quite so much work to keep up if EA had actually finished the game before releasing it. The issue is they're trying to put out a AAA game title (so to speak) using the same formula as an early-access indie developer .-.
Inventor
#28 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 4:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Weisskreuz
because I told her she had to wait for all of her modded beds to be updated for the patch and redownload them or they'd always be unusable.

But you were wrong (probably unknowingly). VERY soon after the release of Pets a tool (by Granthes) was released to fix all RIG resources. It was as simples as DRAG & DROP the files that needed to be fixed to the tool, wait a couple of seconds and that was it. It was NOT a big deal, really. Broken CC is easily fixed. Outdated mods is a whole different story.
Theorist
#29 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 5:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
But you were wrong (probably unknowingly). VERY soon after the release of Pets a tool (by Granthes) was released to fix all RIG resources. It was as simples as DRAG & DROP the files that needed to be fixed to the tool, wait a couple of seconds and that was it. It was NOT a big deal, really. Broken CC is easily fixed. Outdated mods is a whole different story.

Ahh, the rig fix. *skips away* ~Counters and bathtubs and chairs, oh-my!~
dodgy builder
#30 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 7:50 PM

Oh yes, I made sure I took care of that fix. I still use it sometimes if I'm downloading something old. Like TSR should have converted all their downloads, but I had to complain about one set where the tool converted where their shouldn't be anything to convert. The creator answered ages later saying the tool wasn't perfect, but he had fixed it now.

Quote: Originally posted by ShigemiNotoge
Ahh, the rig fix. *skips away* ~Counters and bathtubs and chairs, oh-my!~

yea lol. I have used counters where it's not been fixed, I don't quite remember anymore. I'm just a builder, as long as the downloader make sure they are fixed it's ok. I never had any problems with bathtubs, but counters frequently had their uv-maps (I think) all over the place. I had to work some to make it look ok on pictures and videos
Theorist
#31 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 9:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
yea lol. I have used counters where it's not been fixed, I don't quite remember anymore. I'm just a builder, as long as the downloader make sure they are fixed it's ok. I never had any problems with bathtubs, but counters frequently had their uv-maps (I think) all over the place. I had to work some to make it look ok on pictures and videos

Bathtubs that had not been fixed would simply not function - the sims would reset. Counters had a problem when trying to slot in a sink where the cutout for the sink would appear in the counter and the sink would slot into the floor underneath it.
Forum Resident
#32 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 9:59 PM Last edited by Weisskreuz : 12th Jun 2017 at 1:00 AM.

Unless it came out patch day when I had this conversation with her (which it didn't). I wouldn't have told her anyway since she finally gave back all the CDs she'd been hoarding in her room since she installed them. A win for me honestly ^^
So anyways,thanks.
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 17th Jun 2017 at 3:31 PM Last edited by Loven_Tidus : 17th Jun 2017 at 11:13 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
I do not get peeved about things that are expected. Patches have broken mods as long as sims have been around.

Mod breaking (updates) wasn't a thing until 3. There were patches for 2 but they were added with game install (CD/DVD). But constant game updates weren't a thing. They weren't with 1 either. It also had only patches with game install but not constant updates as we have from 3 and 4. Updates started once digital became the way of owning a game, or any form of digital requirement/connection/account. Just wanted to clarify this.

Georgia "..I Couldnt Stop Her..That Was My Sin..And This In MY Punishment"
Theorist
#34 Old 17th Jun 2017 at 3:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Loven_Tidus
Mod breaking (updates) wasn't a thing until 3. There were patches for 2 but they were added with game install (CD/DVD). But constant game updates weren't a thing. They weren't with the 1 either. They also had only patches with game install but not constant updates as we have from 3 and 4. Updates started once digital became the way of owning a game, or any form of digital requirement. Just wanted to clarify this.

That's because when games were sold exclusively on CD/DVD, developers were expected to fix all the problems a game might have before release, because issuing updates and sometimes even distributing reprints of game disks was very costly for both the developers and distributers. Now we basically get sold an open beta test as the developers slowly fix bugs and add new features that aren't fully tested that create more bugs. This happens because game companies want to go from development to sales as quickly as possible to make their money back, and pressure the developers into release long before the game is ready.
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 17th Jun 2017 at 3:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ShigemiNotoge
That's because when games were sold exclusively on CD/DVD, developers were expected to fix all the problems a game might have before release, because issuing updates and sometimes even distributing reprints of game disks was very costly for the developer. Now we basically get sold an open beta test as the developers slowly fix bugs and add new features that aren't fully tested that create more bugs. This happens because game companies want to go from development to sales as quickly as possible to make their money back, and pressure the developers into release long before the game is ready.

Patches and Updates are not the same thing, another I wanted to clarify. I agree and why it is easier to sell an unfinished product and pick up the slack later on. This is why mod breaking wasn't a thing until 3. Once your game was patched from said CD/DVD, you were good and mods were created to correspond with EP's and their respected patches. So you could end with a fully patched game and fully working mods, never having issues and if you never wanted those EP's. you were still good as long as you had the mod that reflected what you did have.
No longer the case since digital (unfinished games/updating product) became a thing.

Georgia "..I Couldnt Stop Her..That Was My Sin..And This In MY Punishment"
Page 2 of 2