Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#26 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 5:05 PM
Okay, found the problem. I try it with another paint program, now it works.
Thanks for everything
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 5:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by KaterMikesch77
I exported the image with SimPe,edit it and then import it back with SimPe.

According to your pictures, you clicked on the image and choose export...I never do this. I simply click on Export button which is above the image. I wonder if this has anything to do with your problem.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Forum Resident
#28 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 6:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
The main difference between DXT3 and DXT5 is how they handle alphas. DXT3 can handle black and white easily, but doesn't give you the smooth finish DXT5 does on gradient greytones, so if you have an outfit with alpha-edited parts in gradients, use DXT5. For any parts with a white colored alpha, they're pretty much the same for the texture itself.

You can also use a DDS file, which is essentially the texture with the alpha added. They can be easier to use with clothes because you don't have to worry too much about the alpha (it's saved as a separate layer in the channels). Just export the blurred version as DDS, replace the texture, save the file, and import as DDS instead of DXT.

Thanks for the explanation on DXT3 and DXT5. I knew they handle alphas differently, but not what the practical difference is. One question, though, how to export as DDS? The Import DDS option is available, but I see nothing about exporting as DDS.
Mad Poster
#29 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 6:42 PM
I was a little wrong on the DDS files - I don't think you can export them, but you can import them into SimPE. If you have Photoshop, you can edit DDS files (as long as you have the plugin - found here, works for most PS versions), and you can also make them. The alpha is edited with the alpha channel.

Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
According to your pictures, you clicked on the image and choose export...I never do this. I simply click on Export button which is above the image. I wonder if this has anything to do with your problem.

The right-click/export and the Export button gives you the exact same result, and it doesn't matter which one you use. The "Import" function (both right-click and button) can give you a grainy result, though.
Mad Poster
#30 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 7:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
The right-click/export and the Export button gives you the exact same result, and it doesn't matter which one you use. The "Import" function (both right-click and button) can give you a grainy result, though.

Ok good. Thank you for answering that.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Forum Resident
#31 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 10:08 PM
@simmer22: I have Paint.NET. It can read and save DDS format, but I haven't been able to get it to do anything with alpha channels, and haven't had much luck getting SimPE to import DDS files.
Mad Poster
#32 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 10:40 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 16th Jul 2017 at 10:54 PM.
If you can use png with transparency, do that. The DDS files are somewhat harder to work with, and depending on the formatting, SimPE isn't always too happy with them.

I mostly use PNGs, but on some files with gradient transparency I occasionally use DDS (they keep the transparent/invisible background color better than PNGs).

An alternative to Paint.net is Gimp. It's free software, and is about as close to Photoshop as a free program gets. I would say I don't find it as intuitive as Photoshop, but that's probably because I've used Photoshop for roughly 13 years now. Gimp has the kind of setup you'd expect from an open source program, so the tools aren't as neatly placed as in Photoshop, but it's probably functional enough once you've learned the basics. There's a tutorial section on the Gimp site for the basics.
Page 2 of 2