Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 8:34 PM
Default I like sims 4
Do other people actually like sims 4? I love it and am happily playing it, as well as still playing sims 3. But all I see in the sims 4 forum is people complaining about it non-stop. Even though this forum has nothing to do with how it's made or how much it costs. I feel like there should be a separate board for complaining about things this forum can't fix and just keep this one for discussing the game in a positive light for people that do play it and enjoy it.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 8:57 PM
I love it.

Its my fave in the series.

Are there things I miss from 2 and 3? Yes. There are things I missed from 2 when 3 came out. For example, changing your baby on the changing table and bathing them in the sink, all that cute stuff was eliminated from 3. One thing I appreciate about 4 is now that we DO have toddlers (I didn't care) their scream/cry is not so unbearable that it makes family life unbearable.

There are things I *thought* I'd miss but I ended up not missing.
Theorist
#3 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 9:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by annoellyn
Do other people actually like sims 4? I love it and am happily playing it, as well as still playing sims 3. But all I see in the sims 4 forum is people complaining about it non-stop. Even though this forum has nothing to do with how it's made or how much it costs. I feel like there should be a separate board for complaining about things this forum can't fix and just keep this one for discussing the game in a positive light for people that do play it and enjoy it.

Are you suggesting we censor people's speech so that only positive ideas are allowed to be expressed? You have the official forums for that!

If the negativity upsets you you can chose to not read it, but I don't think you can't ask that people should only be allowed to speak positively about a game they might have complaints about. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but that's how it is. I'm glad you like the game. I like the game too. It's not my favourite, but now that it has toddlers I get a bit of enjoyment out of it. I'm still going to voice my criticisms when they're applicable though. If EA gets nothing but positive feedback then they're not going to know if/what they're doing wrong. It also helps people vent their frustrations, knowing they're not the only one having specific problems/issues with the game's content.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 9:22 PM
So this brings us to how many "Does anyone like the Sims 4" threads, now? Three more and we could win a free speed boat!

I feel like there should be a separate board for complaining about things this forum can't fix and just keep this one for discussing the game in a positive light for people that do play it and enjoy it.

See...they tried that kind of unnecessary censorship on this forum back when the game first came out. Needless to say, it didn't go very well.

The Receptacle still lives!
Mad Poster
#5 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 10:53 PM

Sorry pal/gurl, but that's not how forums work in general. And for the bolded part: no, you just made that up. This is The Sims 4 discussion. Who is to stop or forbid us from ranting how much this game is ripping off players that purchase or how superficial it is?
Theorist
#6 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 11:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lil bag2
See...they tried that kind of unnecessary censorship on this forum back when the game first came out. Needless to say, it didn't go very well.

IDK, I quite enjoyed the receptacle just after release
Scholar
#7 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 12:48 AM

Just go to 2 and 3's forums and complain endlessly about things you don't like and call it even. FREE SPEECH
Mad Poster
#8 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 1:09 AM
I know what you mean. It does seem like that here, that the favorite past time is griping and tearing the game apart with little appreciation for what is good about it. Frankly, those threads are more exciting and draw more viewers. Our best threads here, if your looking for fandom, are the picture threads, the what I discovered today thread, and the what's happening in your game thread. But I just wanted to say Hi! I'm finding that I enoy this game more and more over time. Maybe we could start our own fan club.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 3:50 AM
Have you been to the official forums?
Field Researcher
#10 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 4:50 AM Last edited by grindingteeth : 16th Jul 2017 at 7:37 PM.
I think the problem lies in the title of this thread. I like the sims 4 too, I think everyone here who continues to play Likes the Sims 4.

But do we love it?

Why not?

Discuss. :p
Mad Poster
#11 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 1:30 PM
I think the point many of you are missing is the effect of the negativity on Sims fans who are looking for a community to share their interests. It exists in the Sims 1, 2, & 3 sections, but it is very difficult to get it going here because the favorite past time seems to be trying to be amusingly snarky, comparing the various Sims games, finding fault with Sims 4, and ranking out EA. Yes, the official forums are more fan oriented, but they are also very large and it's harder to find a place there. I know that many of you will deny it, but I personally know several posters who only visit here on occasion or who have stopped coming here altogether because the atmosphere is toxic. Clearly, censorship is not the answer, but what exists in this particular section of MTS is not working for many of us. Also, censorship seems more oriented towards fans in the form of more snark and "witty comments" and scads of "disagrees".

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Forum Resident
#12 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 2:07 PM
I want to like TS4. I like a lot of things about it--enough that I will go through spurts of playing it that last about a week or so. But, in the end, it's just missing too much for me to keep playing for longer than a week or two. And then I go back to TS3, marvel at how much better it is, and think "I am never going back to TS4." Until a new game pack or expansion pack comes out again and the cycle resets.

Keep in mind that I love TS3 open world and story progression to the extent that I can't even go back to TS2.
Theorist
#13 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 2:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
I think the point many of you are missing is the effect of the negativity on Sims fans who are looking for a community to share their interests. It exists in the Sims 1, 2, & 3 sections, but it is very difficult to get it going here because the favorite past time seems to be trying to be amusingly snarky, comparing the various Sims games, finding fault with Sims 4, and ranking out EA. Yes, the official forums are more fan oriented, but they are also very large and it's harder to find a place there. I know that many of you will deny it, but I personally know several posters who only visit here on occasion or who have stopped coming here altogether because the atmosphere is toxic. Clearly, censorship is not the answer, but what exists in this particular section of MTS is not working for many of us. Also, censorship seems more oriented towards fans in the form of more snark and "witty comments" and scads of "disagrees".

The problem is this is not a community designed for people who are already happy with the game 100% the way it is to show their love for the series. This is a community for people who see a problem with the game, and plan to make/find a solution to this problem. A place for people who see something missing and deiced to add/go looking for something to fill that hole. The entire concept of this website is sharing fixes and additions for things that were either broken or missing! Not for gushing about how perfect and flawless it is and how it doesn't need any changes. Otherwise this would be a fansite and not a modding site.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 2:42 PM
I didn't mean that it SHOULDN'T be allowed to say whatever you want on this forum, it was merely my suggestion that there be an actual complaint subcategory so people who are ARE enjoying the game don't have to sort through almost the entire first page of people just complaining about it on and on even though I highly doubt EA goes through this forum and takes notes. And yes, i realize this is a modding site and we use this site to enhance the game but it doesn't mean on principle that everyone hates it and it needs to be fixed - like in sims 2, a lot of people love that game and enhance it through mods, not necessarily to 'fix it'. I'm just saying what i find annoying and I am fully aware that nothing will be change, I just wanted to know how many people DO actually like this game and I'm glad I got a few responses of people who enjoy it.
Forum Resident
#15 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 2:51 PM
The thing is that I don't think this community's ever been positive about TS4. I remember the threads about it when it was in development. I was actually surprised after I came back from a hiatus because the forums were much more positive about it than I would have expected.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 3:59 PM Last edited by Alrunia : 16th Jul 2017 at 4:10 PM.
It's a cycle wherein whatever the "current" game is is The Worst™, and any old ones (beginning with TS2, since I don't think TS1 ever had highly vocal superstans) are perfect angels and can do no wrong.
It's funny, but take a look at any old archived forums threads from 2008-2009 (or take a look at SimSecret, they're reposting lots of old confessions right now) - when TS3 was just coming out there were tons of posts with people saying how much they hate it, how ugly TS3 sims are, how lame and shallow the gameplay is, how it has no originality, TS2 babies were cute and TS3 babies are awful, the grim reaper looks terrible in TS3 compared to TS2, how terrible the performance issues are and how it doesn't even have such basic features as pets or weather.
Every TS3 expansion that came out had people comment things like "I wish this expansion was for TS2 instead, you know the good sims game, not this awful cash grab with its ugly dead eyed puddings"; Create-A-Style (CAW as well) was supposedly wasted on "this failure of a game" and should've been added to TS2 instead.
I can't say I particulary agree or disagree with any of the above opinions but as someone who's seen the cycle repeat a few times, it's a trip

(✿ ❛ ▿ ❛)୨
dodgy builder
#17 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 4:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lil bag2

I'm not sure I agree on that. The negativity was very intense and they tried to make people behave more nice to the game. After all we complain, but we still play it, so it can't be that bad. When it was as negative as it was in the beginning though, it is very hard to enjoy playing it.

For the OP though. You just have to learn to ignore the critisisme if you don't think it's relevant and read what is relevant. Read between the lines, people here play the game and keeps being disappointed when their things doesn't happen. It's only natural, but they still play it.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 5:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Alrunia
It's a cycle wherein whatever the "current" game is is The Worst™, and any old ones (beginning with TS2, since I don't think TS1 ever had highly vocal superstans) are perfect angels and can do no wrong.
It's funny, but take a look at any old archived forums threads from 2008-2009 (or take a look at SimSecret, they're reposting lots of old confessions right now) - when TS3 was just coming out there were tons of posts with people saying how much they hate it, how ugly TS3 sims are, how lame and shallow the gameplay is, how it has no originality, TS2 babies were cute and TS3 babies are awful, the grim reaper looks terrible in TS3 compared to TS2, how terrible the performance issues are and how it doesn't even have such basic features as pets or weather.
Every TS3 expansion that came out had people comment things like "I wish this expansion was for TS2 instead, you know the good sims game, not this awful cash grab with its ugly dead eyed puddings"; Create-A-Style (CAW as well) was supposedly wasted on "this failure of a game" and should've been added to TS2 instead.
I can't say I particulary agree or disagree with any of the above opinions but as someone who's seen the cycle repeat a few times, it's a trip

Thats what happens when sometbing new comes along and makes you realize how good the old was. I used to hate TS3 with a firey passion. But now it's my favorite in the series (though my various complaints for it still stand)

Now, I dont hate TS4 nearly as much as I hated TS3 (in fact, I don't hate it at all. I've said several times that I may insult it when it deserves it but I do like the game) but it not being all that it could have been really did help me realize just how hard they were trying with TS3. That game is a mess but damn if it wasn't the most ambitious game in the franchise. They tried to do new things even if they didnt work, whereas TS4 seems to just be playing things safe to the point of being dull.

I recognize the pattern of something new coming along and fans thinking it sucks until the next new thing pops up. But in the case of the Sims, it's a lot more than just an arbitrary fear of change. There's actual reason for it aside from "It's different so it sucks" (Because when you really think about it, these games arent all that different from each other). Reasons that usually get tossed aside and dismissed as people just being haters or toxic (Anyone who thinks this forum is toxic clearly doesn't visit many forums. Including the official one. Even when things get bad here, this is still the friendliest online community I've ever been a part of). Just like with TS3, I like the game but I can definitely see why others have forsaken it. It really does deserve most (not all) of the flack that it gets.

I'd say that I hope TS5 makes us look back fondly on TS4, but wishing for an inferior game is freaking stupid. Let TS4 remain the red headed stepchild. I want TS5 to end the chain. The only problem is that Maxis isnt good at learning from their mistakes and they have this weird tendency of removing things that gave them problems in the past instead of fixing them.

Mad Poster
#19 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 5:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
I'm not sure I agree on that. The negativity was very intense and they tried to make people behave more nice to the game.

And all of it was deserved. TS4 had one of the most poorly handled launches and ad campaigns that I'd ever seen in a video game. It was embarrassing.

Quote:
After all we complain, but we still play it, so it can't be that bad.

It's not bad. But people still playing it doesnt make the complaints any less valid. In fact they might hold a little more weight since they see, firsthand, the things that are wrong with the game. I know I do. Its possible to like something but still be able to tear it to shreds

As a typical Sims game, it is fun. They made a very....passable game. But as the fourth installment in a 16 year old series, they really dropped the ball. Not enough for it to not have any good qualities (best CAS, toddlers, and vampires in the series). But enough to make you wonder why things they could do in the past are suddenly unfeasible.

Quote:
When it was as negative as it was in the beginning though, it is very hard to enjoy playing it.

I will never not call bullshit on statements like that. Your enjoyment of something should never be influenced by the opinions of others. You know how many horrible things I like that get insulted by the rest of the fandoms I'm a part. (Try being a fan of the Fairy Tail series right now and then talk to me about negative fandoms XD)

If you like the game then enjoy it. Who cares what the rest of the fandom thinks? You want some more positivity? Take it upon yourself to spread it. You sure as hell arent alone.

Edit: sorry for the double post.

Field Researcher
#20 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 6:48 PM Last edited by grindingteeth : 16th Jul 2017 at 9:00 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
Also, censorship seems more oriented towards fans in the form of more snark and "witty comments" and scads of "disagrees".

I think many of these discussions probably devolve into snark and quips because they've been beaten to death. Most threads that pop up here have been almost cyclical in nature, and they have a lot of activity. I've seen almost every point made in this discussion discussed before, here or on the official forum. I bet you have too.

Meanwhile, some of sections best made to cater entirely to fandom and enjoyment of the game are dead or virtually dead. Sims 4 Pictures and Stories have almost nothing happening currently, which is something I'd love to see change.

I do agree that many Sims 4 positive comments get an excess of 'disagrees', though.
(There's a general 'disagree' problem here, as they appear everywhere and often without reason). It's not censorship however, no one is stopping you from sharing your sentiments, even if they 'disagree'.
The trick is not to take it to heart, if you like the game and enjoy playing, no one can change that for you - after all... it is (thankfully) single player.
Alchemist
#21 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 6:51 PM
Welcome to my world when TS3 was the new game. TS3's open world and story progression was a game changer for me and I constantly had to read how people hated it and pudding faces. It's just the nature of these types of forum.
Scholar
#22 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 7:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kennyinbmore
Welcome to my world when TS3 was the new game. TS3's open world and story progression was a game changer for me and I constantly had to read how people hated it and pudding faces. It's just the nature of these types of forum.

No, it's the nature of people having different opinions and being able to express them.

I don't really like comparing the dislike for TS3 with the dislike for TS4. I was there in the beginning of TS3 and was holding strong to TS2... But the reason was entirely different from me holding onto TS3 now. I may not have liked the look of the sims, I may have been especially disappointed that the open stores and restaurants of TS1 and TS2 had been replaced by these non-customizable rabbitholes. However, through all of that, I understood that the introduction of the open world gameplay and story progression was a huge step for the series, and was an exciting new way to play it. For that reason, I wanted and waited to see The Sims 3 improve so I can enjoy it, and it did just that.

And that's where the situation differs. The Sims 4 introduced no new exciting gameplay features to make me want to play it. Don't get me wrong, the create a Sim options are all pretty neat, but that's really where it stops for me. And being someone who has played since TS1 and has spent hundreds of dollars on this series, that's not enough for me to get sucked into another The Sims game and pay hundreds of more dollars.

And at the end of the day, I don't see TS4 ever breaking free of its limitations that were set on it from the very beginning. The cramped worlds with decorative backgrounds. I don't really see that being something that can be fixed. But the point is, even if they were able to bring that back... What would we have that sets TS4 apart so positively from TS3? Why should I want to go spend all of that money again?

The situation between TS3 and TS4 is completely different for me. I was disappointed with TS3, but I respected the new features they brought into it and hoped for the features that were disappointing to be fixed. With TS4, they can "fix" the game, but it's still nothing exciting or new.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 7:42 PM
I can see why someone would want to separate the "TS4 sucks" threads from other types of discourse, since if you already know nearly any thread you make it going to devolve into a discussion of how much it sucks that no pets and weather there's not all that much point in posting; of course nothing new or interesting is going to come of it. It's a similar concept to "no negativity in the tags" that many fandoms on Tumblr and other sites practice: if you want to talk about how much Game Of Thrones sucks you tag it with something like #gotcritical instead of #got because yes, the people who stan the show have already seen all these arguments, they just want to talk about the new episode or whatever. That's hardly censorship, is it? (putting aside the fact that in order for something to be censorship, it has to be an action taken by the government)

(✿ ❛ ▿ ❛)୨
Theorist
#24 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 11:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Wikipedia
Censorship is the suppression of speech, public communication, or other information that may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, politically incorrect or inconvenient as determined by governments, media outlets, authorities or other groups or institutions.[1]

Not sure how this can be considered "objectively incorrect"
Forum Resident
#25 Old 17th Jul 2017 at 11:43 AM
I want to start making more Sims stories. I almost started making a story for TS4 because it's way easier to do CAS, but decided against it because no weather. I have too many rain scenes. So I stuck with TS3 for that.
Page 1 of 3