Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Link Ninja
#51 Old 10th Aug 2017 at 7:32 PM
I really like apartments; when I played on Mac I had to simulate my own with mods for key card doors and such because they never ported AL to that operating system. True, I dislike that I cannot build in them but that's kind of like real life apartments. None I never been in to rent let me paint walls or add walls etc so I'm not as bothered by the restriction PLUS I download and play all customizable apartment lots or build my own so I make sure it has everything i need before I start moving sims in. As for noise, well that comes with the territory. When I moved to the city an lived in my apartment, kids from the high school would sneak into the buildings basement to smoke weed during their lunch hour and I could her their voices come up through the vents. I also like challenge of decorating smaller living spaces.

Anyway since this is a thread of what we dislike I should contribute a dislike: I disliked how exaggerated the townies and NPCs looked. It was like 1 in 12 that seemed decent. I know a lot of people complain about those ugly maxis genetics and a handful of people really like them but I was on the side that disliked them which is why I have 200 some of my own sims running around and spreading CC genetics. Without the help of gussy up mod, default face templates, and that cool DNA mod in RoxEllen's signature line, I probably would have never eased up on my rule for custom sims and NPC interactions.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 12th Aug 2017 at 7:09 AM
One of the things I don't like in Sims in general, it's their *obsession* with toilets and bathrooms. And to quote JMP,
Quote:
Ever wonder why, for some bizarre reason, sims seem obsessed with peeing, to the point where they go to other sim's houses for apparently the express purpose of using someone else's toilet?

Another is the game's bias for bathtubs. If you have a toddler or pet in your house, it's necessary to get one, lest they be permanently stinky. But what if your house is too small or the household is too poor to buy one?

On Apartments, I have little problems as I have mastered making - and living - in them in accordance to game mechanics. My only gripe is why didn't they allow outdoor garages? Making an indoor garage takes a premium on my lot space. I like my apartments small, thank you.

Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
The feature in Sims 3 where, if you send a Sim to visit another family, none of them is home? Even if you checked and saw that they are home before sending your Sims over? Sure worked like a charm in my Sims 3 game.

Makes me remember those damned times those Sims invite my own Sims to their "parties". When the "party" starts, they are not around and when it ends, they are the ones who are complaining, "Why didn't you come?". What is this, a hide-and-seek party?
Mad Poster
#53 Old 12th Aug 2017 at 11:57 AM Last edited by RoxEllen1965 : 12th Aug 2017 at 7:47 PM. Reason: fixed a typo
Quote: Originally posted by wthrwthoutyu
Object staircases that look very nice, but will cause traffic jams, whining and excess rerouting when used.

Use Raindrop's fake staircase covers (includes invisible recolor)
http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=7538

With Numenor's recolorable deck stairs
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=53159
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#54 Old 12th Aug 2017 at 2:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dlseis
On Apartments, I have little problems as I have mastered making - and living - in them in accordance to game mechanics. My only gripe is why didn't they allow outdoor garages? Making an indoor garage takes a premium on my lot space. I like my apartments small, thank you.

Ah yes, back to Apartment-complains: I find annoying that there's no way to build a functional parking area with assign cars for each different household member. Lack of flexibility annoys me.
Scholar
#55 Old 12th Aug 2017 at 2:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dlseis

Another is the game's bias for bathtubs. If you have a toddler or pet in your house, it's necessary to get one, lest they be permanently stinky. But what if your house is too small or the household is too poor to buy one?

If the tub is just (or mostly) for dogs, I put it outside and pretend the Sims haul water out to it. In my Victorian hood, Cyd Roseland and his three dogs are living in that tiny forest hut from Pleasantville. Cyd put the tub behind the hut so he could use it himself without being seen from the road...but of course his gardener always throws an "OMG, nudity!" fit even when working out the front, where realistically she can't possibly see him, because technically they're "in the same room". I could give him one of those student dorm showers, but he seems completely unconcerned about the situation.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#56 Old 12th Aug 2017 at 2:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BlueAlien
If the tub is just (or mostly) for dogs, I put it outside and pretend the Sims haul water out to it.

I've always quite liked this dog bath from ATS for that very purpose:
http://sims2.aroundthesims3.com/objects/pets_001.html
There's also this one on here:
http://modthesims.info/d/226489

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Field Researcher
#57 Old 12th Aug 2017 at 7:45 PM
For toddlers in apartments, I would just buy a tub and keep it in inventory until the toddler needs a bath, put back in inventory after toddler had bath.

@BlueAlien Have you tried surrounding the tub with the floor dividers from Pets? They're a kind-of sort-of wall, they're reputed to block noise, so they might make the gardener overlook the naked guy in the yard and there's probably an invisible recolor somewhere.
just a girl
#58 Old 12th Aug 2017 at 7:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Ah yes, back to Apartment-complains: I find annoying that there's no way to build a functional parking area with assign cars for each different household member. Lack of flexibility annoys me.

I really love apartments, but this one puts me off too. I have an idea, though...

Thanks for dog bathtubs, maxon!
Lab Assistant
#59 Old 12th Aug 2017 at 11:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orilon
Cyjon has a fix for the Breadfruit Tree here: http://cyjon.net/node/422

The things I dislike:

Romance and Popularity Sims

Toddlers

How utterly useless parents are at properly taking care of a baby

How Sims want panels get clogged with pet wants if I have the Pets EP installed

Some of the Family Sim LTWs (Marry Off 6 Children for example)

In regards to the pet wants, I've found that No Pet Obsession by TwoJeffs helps squash a good majority of them. I used to have that same problem and it drove me crazy. The mod has made things much more tolerable, though, and the wants that I do get in households that have pets are more reasonable.
Alchemist
#60 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 12:02 AM
There is a toddler tub, too: http://modthesims.info/d/528650.

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Forum Resident
#61 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 12:10 AM

You can place a driveway and cars on an apartment lot, and whichever house is playable, you can assign cars for their use.

Set lot zoning as residential, place the driveway and cars, change lot zoning to apartment base and save, then when sims move in, cars. The cars disappear if you enter the lot in build mode though.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#62 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 6:33 PM
But I would like a parking space/spot that don't require the fence/wall around it, garage doors and stuff. And when I meant my functional parking spot, I mean like this:

Forum Resident
#63 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 7:07 PM
But I would like a parking space/spot that don't require the fence/wall around it, garage doors and stuff.

This isn't exactly what you wanted, but if you use two driveways you can have two functional parking spots and several decorator ones:
http://modthesims.info/d/424669

So many things to learn; so few brain cells to process the info needed to learn things!
Shipwreck Island
Forum Resident
#64 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 7:51 PM
But I would like a parking space/spot that don't require the fence/wall around it, garage doors and stuff.

You mean like this? That's not a garage, just a driveway with an overhang.

(This lot, in case anyone cares: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=316851)

You can't have a functional parking lot without using driveways, but you can't have that with a normal residential lot either, so it's not an Apartment Life limitation. I used to have an apartment lot with 3 cars on a driveway space and all were functional. You can't change the cars unless the lot is unoccupied and every resident of the building has access to the cars, but it's technically do-able.
just a girl
#65 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 9:06 PM
If you place parking spots and cars before you finish building your apartment lot, residents will be able to use them as any other common area object. No fence or wall needed. You can't sell them or buy new ones unless you use a cheat to apply changes to common area, as inspiredzone said, but it's something.
Lab Assistant
#66 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 9:34 PM
I don't like any of the supernatural sims in TS2 (and I really like playing with supernatural sims in TS3 and 4, so). Everytime I see a witch on a public lot I fight the urge to delete them.

"'Why is Shinji blushing over everything Kaworu does,' you ask? He's gay..... gay gay gay gay gay" -Actual Kaworu
Top Secret Researcher
#67 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 10:04 PM
Some stuff that wthrwthoutyu said

I'd love a pet penguin in the game! When I first saw the penguin I wanted to keep it...still wish my Sims could have a pet penguin.

All the untouchable NPCs. I'd love to play the Grim Reaper in a household or have a grandma crumplebottom!

Can't buy sims a drink at the bar.

Children can't make a bowl of cereal or a sandwich.

Otherwise I don't really know anything else to add. I've come to accept my game doesn't like apartments (not sure why) but I can make sims rent houses ok, so at least there is still that.

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#68 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 10:15 PM
I'm pretty sure you can have a pet penguin. I think someone extracted it and made a pet out of it. Maybe on MATY?

Ninja'd by frogz.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Top Secret Researcher
#69 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 10:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by frogz2007
Pet penguins are do-able, though just be aware that it adds an NPC to your game so you shouldn't ever remove it.

http://affinitysims.com/files/file/...asons-required/

As for the untouchables: I've longed for that, too... It's too bad that Maxis never caught wind of people moving them in and corrupting their objects files since they could have made any future "objects" like the other NPC's so they generate from a generic template instead of just being a single Sim...

I don't know why i'd want to remove it anyway, penguins!

My Simblr
He/They
Field Researcher
#70 Old 14th Aug 2017 at 4:36 AM
Downloading penguin!

I'll do a complete backup before installing, though. The creator doesn't give any info on EPs, and things that work fine for others don't always work in my game that doesn't have BV and FT. If it doesn't work out, I'll be able to delete the NPC and the neighborhoods and restore from backup.
Lab Assistant
#71 Old 14th Aug 2017 at 4:39 AM
The fact they usually need over 4 plates of food in a single meal in order to fullfil the Hunger bar;
Lab Assistant
#72 Old 14th Aug 2017 at 4:41 AM
What's up with the hatred for Romance and Popularity sims? I find them pretty amusing tbh, especially the Romance ones, a lot of drama potential.
Field Researcher
#73 Old 14th Aug 2017 at 4:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SophieModan
What's up with the hatred for Romance and Popularity sims? I find them pretty amusing tbh, especially the Romance ones, a lot of drama potential.

Romance sims can get repetitive. Date, woohoo, rinse, repeat ad infinitum. Popularity doesn't bother me as much; to me, it seems easier to "train" them to want more things than meeting people and making friends, to break up the monotony.

Family sims are worse. It's all about quantity over quality. Have a baby; want to hold the baby, cuddle the baby, play with the baby? Nah, immediately want to have another baby. You have three kids; do you want to play with them, talk to them, have them do well is school? Nah, just want to have more babies. Often the only way I can get a Family sim to roll a want to interact with the children they already have is to let their social go low and orange.
Lab Assistant
#74 Old 14th Aug 2017 at 5:00 AM
Popularity Sims are okay, but Romance Sims are meh. It's better if the Romance Aspiration is split between one finding their one true love and the one that wants to make love all over the place.

Pleasure and Fortune Sims are more boring, if you ask me. Especially if you are the type of player that wants to play with destitute and down-and-out Sims.
Mad Poster
#75 Old 14th Aug 2017 at 2:43 PM Last edited by gummilutt : 15th Aug 2017 at 8:27 AM. Reason: Fixing brainfart
To each their own, if an aspiration is not fun to you then it's not. But I love all of them. Haven't played grilled cheese yet, because that I do think will get repetitive on a regular Sim, but I have plans to have a big mogul in the finance world have a little breakdown and convert all his companies to grilled cheese restaurants.

I used to play only family or knowledge, with mainly family, and now I'd say family is my least common aspiration. Some have it as secondary, but only two have it as primary if I recall correctly. Based on what I've read over the years, I think part of why I might be able to enjoy all of them more than some people is that I don't necessarily play by wants. I have an overall plan of what I want to do with the Sim, and consider wants a sort of look into that Sims mind. It's fun to see what kind of things they come up with on their own, and sometimes I do follow it and adapt my story to it. But I don't if I don't think it really suits them I ignore it. If I get the numbers game on a Romance Sim that I don't intend to do that with, I don't see that as the Sim actually wanting to kiss 20 Sims and woohoo 20, I see that as them feeling pressured by the norm and societies expectation on them, so I have no qualms about ignoring it.

I suppose one thing I dislike about TS2 is how romance doesn't have a programmed way to sort of "break up" and have the Sim decide no this one is not for me. Most of my Sims date a few different Sims before (if ever) they settle down, and sometimes it can get on my nerves that they suddenly roll wants for their five past boyfriends during dates when I see them as having said nah, you are boring and not for me. I write it off as thinking what might have been which I guess most people do, but would have liked to see more room in the code for dating around. Maybe have the break up interaction clear want history so that they stop rolling wants for that person.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Page 3 of 4