Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Mar 2018 at 10:33 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Graphic Issues
Hi I've never seen this before and I'm not sure if this hood can be saved. I'm on a desktop my spec are windows 10, Acer Aspire TC-780A, Intel Core [email protected] 3.00GHz, 8.00 GB, 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor.
This is relatively new hood I've been building. I have 13.3Gb of cc and i have terabyte hard drive. The game is crashing when I go to a community lot or come out a lot and go into another it will crash. So I pulled all the latest CC which included careers and new hacks. After pulling that folder I sent this sim to a community lot the graphic went bonkers. I shut down and came back to this. [IMG][/IMG] I pull the family from the house and this is what they look like in sim bin . I had to add my graphic card to the graphic rules file.
I hope someone can tell me if I can save this hood and family. Oh also this a family except one was cloned through body shop.
Thanks,
Motheringthesims
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 9th Mar 2018 at 11:50 PM
There's possibly nothing wrong with your game or CC - might be a Win10 update. It's been causing problems for several people.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#3 Old 10th Mar 2018 at 12:16 AM
Should we move it to help? There's more apt to be people able to help there.

I will go ahead and move it since it might be tied to that update.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 10th Mar 2018 at 12:50 AM
So your moving it! thanks!Sorry.
Undead Molten Llama
#5 Old 10th Mar 2018 at 1:46 AM
If this isn't a Windows update thing, as Maxon suggests, I would wager that the culprit is your video card, as those artifacts are a pretty classic symptom of that. If that's the case, this likely has nothing to do with your game/neighborhood/family; the problem is probably that your video card is having trouble rendering the game for some reason, possibly because it's not up to the task or because it's a newer card that the game isn't grokking, especially if its driver has been updated recently. You don't list what graphics you have. Is it a separate card? A chip integrated with the motherboard? Have you run the Graphics Rules Maker?

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 10th Mar 2018 at 2:15 AM Last edited by motheringthesims : 10th Mar 2018 at 2:28 AM.
Thanks iCad for responding. I think this is what your looking for Intel HD Graphics 630. I found this information in the device manager. I tried running the graphic rule maker but it didn't work. So I found instructions on adding the card online.
Undead Molten Llama
#7 Old 10th Mar 2018 at 2:31 AM
So you have integrated graphics, yes. I know the newer chips can handle the game without frying your motherboard like the older ones used to do, but I'm afraid I'm not an expert as to which integrated chips are good and which aren't. But given those artifacts, I do suspect that the chip is weak for the game and perhaps overheating, thus causing the artifacts you're seeing and, if you keep going, potentially you can damage the chip/motherboard. I would especially suspect this if you run the game with a lot of high-res CC. Things like custom skies/horizons, high-poly hairs, and many TS3/4 object conversions. Those things are probably not really meant for integrated graphics. Even though the game itself is old, the newer higher-res/higher-poly CC can definitely take its toll on your hardware.

Buuuuuut, I'm not an expert on integrated graphics, so hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will come along who can tell you if the chip you have is OK and, if so, how to optimize it for the game. In the meantime, I would at least open up the case and get rid of any dust in there. Sometimes things (not just graphic chips but processors, power supplies, etc.) will overheat simply because there's dust clogging up the vents/fans, so the machine can't cool itself properly. Heat is very bad for computers. So, that may help. You might also want to take a look at separate dedicated video cards. One that will be just fine for TS2 + lots of nice CC can be had for relatively cheap (~$50-$100) and they're easy to install all by yourself. That way, if a more knowledgeable person comes along and it turns out that your graphics chip is indeed weak, you'll have done some pre-shopping. The alternative would be scaling back your CC, sticking to lower-res/poly stuff that the game is actually meant to use.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 10th Mar 2018 at 2:32 AM
Oh I check the update. The card has not had an update since july 07 2017 and it is a separate card.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 10th Mar 2018 at 2:32 AM
Oh I think that is only a chip, not a card. Whichever it is, it's low end not real good. You are on a desktop so I would get something better when you can. My guess is it can't take so much CC as you are piling onto it. https://www.futuremark.com/hardware...hics+630/review

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 10th Mar 2018 at 2:35 AM
Oh really. I really thought it was separate card. That what i ask for. Thanks Jo.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 10th Mar 2018 at 2:57 AM
I'm not sure Mothering but the reviews don't look good. You have to specify you want a graphics card for gaming when you buy a computer. Is that the only one that shows up under dxdiag?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 10th Mar 2018 at 5:17 AM
I did Jo. That why I'm so surprised. I told them the game I was playing. I was assured that this would do it! I get a card tomorrow. I really appreciate all of you guys help!
Undead Molten Llama
#13 Old 10th Mar 2018 at 6:19 AM
Many people in computer stores have no idea how resource-consumptive TS2 is when loaded with recent high-poly CC. Based on the game's age, pretty much any of today's graphics devices "should" run the game well. And that would be true, IF you were just playing a vanilla game with Maxis-only content. Once you throw in CC, especially stuff made lately, all that goes out the window. So, be aware of that. Tell them you're playing....I dunno...Skyrim or some other newer/more graphics-intensive game. Don't tell them TS2 because unless they happen to be Simmer who loads their game with CC, too, they'll just assume that you can use any old thing when that definitely isn't the case.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14 Old 10th Mar 2018 at 6:20 AM
Ah never say you want it to play sims to a tech they all think it can be played on anything, not realizing all the high poly CC that we add. I always tell them I want it to play Skyrim, you will get listened to more. I know sad fact but there it is.

@iCad Look at you coming in and ninja'ing. Good to see you.

~Call me Jo~
Undead Molten Llama
#15 Old 10th Mar 2018 at 6:38 AM
Hello, Jo, m'luv! How the heck are ya?

Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#16 Old 10th Mar 2018 at 2:52 PM
And I know very few intel cards that will do the job, tell them you want an AMD or a Nvidia. You should see what I recommended to Jo when she got her new computer! It was definitely not a low end computer! :D
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 11th Mar 2018 at 9:21 AM
Hi gdayars, thanks for responding! I got a Gefore GTX 1050 that was the recommended card for my system specs, I put the card in ran graphic rule maker and I'm still crashing. I've attached the config log. The game is crashing in lot when I'm in buy/build mode. It crashes after save to neighborhood view. I took everything out in a test hood in and out of lots no problem. In the test hood with all CC and no problems.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sincerely,
Motheringthesims
Attached files:
File Type: rar  DESKTOP-9JTD4KG-config-log.rar (3.1 KB, 9 downloads) - View custom content
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#18 Old 11th Mar 2018 at 12:46 PM
If it's not crashing with your CC removed then the problem is in your Downloads folder. Time for the 50-50 I think.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#19 Old 11th Mar 2018 at 1:10 PM
You need the 4 gb patch by NT Core. You are running out of memory that is why it is crashing.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#20 Old 11th Mar 2018 at 1:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
Hello, Jo, m'luv! How the heck are ya?

(((Gives @iCad a big squeez))) I am good and if you look at my profile you will see I have even ventured over into the realm of recolouring!
Right now things are a bit topsy-turvy at my place because my mother is staying while my dad is in the hospital with a cracked hip, but he may get out tomorrow or the next day, he's doing so well.

~Call me Jo~
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#21 Old 11th Mar 2018 at 2:10 PM
http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php sorry meant to link to it.

I noticed it said 2048 so I figured it was running out of memory. The other possibility is, something got corrupted with that neighborhood/folder. You said you made a test folder with all the cc and it ran fine? Try moving the neighborhood to the test documents folder with all cc and see if it corrects. It could also be the neighborhood manager file. The neighborhood manager file is in the neighborhoods folder in documents. You can delete it and see if the problem is there. Frankly, the first thing I would try is:

1. delete caches
2. install 4 gb patch
3. delete neighborhood manager
4. move neighborhood to a new documents folder.
5. if the hood is too big, sometimes deleting/moving out neighborhoods you don't use seems to help. I would also go through my custom content and remove things like duplicates, picture files, sims2packs (once installed) zip files, anything but package files frankly and the scriptorium.

I would say it was bad content but you tried running with all content and it ran, that really speaks to a memory problem. because a new hood doesn't take as much memory.

You might want to consider creating an empty hood to start with, because if you do all vanilla, as far as no empty templates etc, you can run into lots of extra background stuff like hundreds of sims before you even start playing the game! There are some core mods that are good for that, such as no townie regen.

Also you say that you have an intel card, well your config log says that you have a Nvidia card. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 so either you have a dual graphics system or there is info there that is wrong somehow.
Undead Molten Llama
#22 Old 11th Mar 2018 at 6:28 PM
@joandsarah77 I saw that! Welcome to the dark side. (I don't have time to keep up with forums these days, but I DO check the downloads every few days or so.) Sorry to hear about your dad's hip, though. I hope he heals well and that your Mum doesn't drive you insane. (OK, so maybe I'm projecting a bit. MY mum drives me insane, so I assume everyone's does.)

@motheringthesims Well, you've eliminated CC as your problem, so I'm going to guess your game is eating too much memory. Installing the 4GB patch ought to help, if that's the case. Also, use the Graphics Rules Maker to force the game to use all of your new video card's texture memory because it won't by default. If it still crashes, it could mean that that specific neighborhood is just too full/big and/or heavily decorated for the game to handle. (It's an old game; it can only take so much even on a new system with good hardware.) If that's the case, scaling it back as gdayars suggested might help. OR it could be that the neighborhood is just messed up; perhaps something happened to it when your graphics started freaking out. If you have a backup from before that happened, try that, see if it fixes things. If not, you may just have to declare the 'hood a lost cause, save what you can, and start over.

You could try the Neighborhood Checker, but I don't think the sort of corruption that utility looks for is your problem, as the sort of crashing you're experiencing isn't really symptomatic of that. It's more the sort of crashing that happens when the game just can't handle what you're asking it to do and says, "I surrender!" I get that in large/heavily-decorated neighborhoods sometimes, too. I've just learned to save early and save often when I'm playing those and also to backup often, too.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 11th Mar 2018 at 7:01 PM
Thanks to all of you! I did all the above suggestions with the game doing very well! Went in and out of lots. Did a partial build. Decided the last test should be going to a community lot. This is what happened I sad to say it looks like a lot cause! Thanks again!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#24 Old 11th Mar 2018 at 11:24 PM
Try deleting your thumbnail folder. it's inside the sims 2 folders, I had to recently after bringing my old game over to my new computer for that same issue.

@iCad Not so far off the mark with the being driven crazy remark. :/ Luckily this time she has a book that she is engrossed in so it's given her something to do.

~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#25 Old 11th Mar 2018 at 11:35 PM
Whooosh - that's definitely graphic card/memory related. Ouch.

Page 1 of 2