Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 12:39 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Stuttery Animations
Hi, so, i got the sims 2 ultimate collection on Origin, and my sims for some reason have some stuttery animations, and also sometimes the objects they interact with, but nothing else. It's really weird and honestly idk what to do. I made a video showing what I'm talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt6QbjNnvi8

The game has been intentionally slowed down to give you a better view on what i mean

I've asked multiple people and so far nobody can figure out what's wrong with my game.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 1:07 PM
What are your computer specs, which graphic card do you have, and which graphic settings do you have ingame?
And do you have programs (including antivirus programs) running in the background, draining resources? When running scans or background scans, antivirus programs can slow down your game.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 1:59 PM
Maybe she has Parkinson's Disease.

On a more serious note - What happens if you run the game with a clean save folder? Just rename it The Sims 2-old and let the game regenerate it. Since it's just the animations and not a general FPS drop, I'd suspect there's something in there messing with it.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 2:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
Maybe she has Parkinson's Disease.

On a more serious note - What happens if you run the game with a clean save folder? Just rename it The Sims 2-old and let the game regenerate it. Since it's just the animations and not a general FPS drop, I'd suspect there's something in there messing with it.

The sims 2 folder in documents? Or program files? I never tried to run the game with a clean save folder. Not really sure how to do it.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 3:00 PM
Your saved game, in Documents.

(you should never try to move or edit the files in Program Files unless you have a good reason to, and you know what you're doing).

Like said above, rename the "The Sims 2" folder (add "old" or some such), and run the game. This makes a new folder with a new game, using the factory settings. When you want to go back to the old game, just rename it to "The Sims 2" (and either rename or delete the other one).

Pro tip: The game runs whatever folder is named "The Sims 2", so you can have multiple folders inside the EA Games folder for various saved games as long as the folders have different names (nice if you want to play various themes with different neighborhoods and Download folders, say one for medieval, one for future, one for modern, one for testing CC, and so forth - How many you can have is only limited by the space on your computer).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 3:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Your saved game, in Documents.

(you should never try to move or edit the files in Program Files unless you have a good reason to, and you know what you're doing).

Like said above, rename the "The Sims 2" folder (add "old" or some such), and run the game. This makes a new folder with a new game, using the factory settings. When you want to go back to the old game, just rename it to "The Sims 2" (and either rename or delete the other one).

Pro tip: The game runs whatever folder is named "The Sims 2", so you can have multiple folders inside the EA Games folder for various saved games as long as the folders have different names (nice if you want to play various themes with different neighborhoods and Download folders, say one for medieval, one for future, one for modern, one for testing CC, and so forth - How many you can have is only limited by the space on your computer).

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it didn't fix my animation issue. I was thinking, is there an animation folder, that i can delete the files in and maybe then they would regenerate, potentially fixing the problem? I don't know much about files and all that stuff, but nothing else I've tried has worked.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 3:46 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 15th Jul 2018 at 4:01 PM.
So you made a new game (without any CC in the Downloads folder), tried running the game, and the problem persisted?
Have you also tried to turn off internet and the antivirus program, and then run the (newly made) game?
Have you tried closing down all non-essential programs, and then run the (newly made) game?
Then it's most likely down to graphic settings, computer specs, graphic card, etc. Can you post those?

Animations are part of the install files, and they're also the same for all players (may depend slightly on game version), so resetting them wouldn't help.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 4:28 PM
So you made a new game (without any CC in the Downloads folder), tried running the game, and the problem persisted?
Have you also tried to turn off internet and the antivirus program, and then run the (newly made) game?
Have you tried closing down all non-essential programs, and then run the (newly made) game?
Then it's most likely down to graphic settings, computer specs, graphic card, etc. Can you post those?

Animations are part of the install files, and they're also the same for all players (may depend slightly on game version), so resetting them wouldn't help.

I get the feeling it's a problem with the version of the game i have... Is there any way to downgrade to a previous version? I currently have v.1.17.066
Mad Poster
#9 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 4:40 PM
I've got that version too, and there's no choppy animations like that in my game. I've got CD versions of all games - but if you have the UC and this was a problem with the UC, I think more people would've had the problem.

Can you post your computer specs? I think your issue is more likely to be a problem with the computer specs, graphic card setup, etc.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 4:51 PM
I've got that version too, and there's no choppy animations like that in my game. I've got CD versions of all games - but if you have the UC and this was a problem with the UC, I think more people would've had the problem.

Can you post your computer specs? I think your issue is more likely to be a problem with the computer specs, graphic card setup, etc.

Yeah, I'll post my specs when i figure out how to find them
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 4:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lennoxlovexx
Yeah, I'll post my specs when i figure out how to find them

I can't figure out how to find my specs, I'm not good with computers lol
Mad Poster
#12 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 5:08 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 15th Jul 2018 at 5:20 PM.
Which windows version do you use?

(I've got Win7, so that's what I'm posting here - and I have to translate some of it, so some may be a little different)

Under "Control Panel/system and security/System" you can find Windows version and whether you have 32 or 64 bit, processor and processor speed, and memory (RAM).

To the left there should be a line saying "Device manager". Click on that. You'll find your graphic card(s) under "Screen Adapters"

Ingame, you can take a printscreen picture (not ingame/C-button picture) of the Graphic Settings screen.

It's also useful to know how old the computer is, and whether you're on a laptop or desktop/stationary computer. If you're on a pre-built laptop or stationary computer, brand and number of the computer can be of help (they're usually named something like "Lenovo V110" or Acer inspire 1" or something like that), because unless customized they're shipped with a set of computer specs easily found on the web.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 5:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lennoxlovexx
I can't figure out how to find my specs, I'm not good with computers lol

Type dxdiag into the Start Menu and press enter. It'll list it under the Display tab.

If you're still confused, you can press Save All Information, save the text file somewhere, and then either attach it or paste it in here (preferably in spoiler tags! they get long).

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 5:36 PM
Type dxdiag into the Start Menu and press enter. It'll list it under the Display tab.

If you're still confused, you can press Save All Information, save the text file somewhere, and then either attach it or paste it in here (preferably in spoiler tags! they get long).

I don't know how to do spoiler tags
Mad Poster
#15 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 5:39 PM
[ spoiler] Like this, but no spaces.[ /spoiler]

Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 5:42 PM
[ spoiler] Like this, but no spaces.[ /spoiler]

Alchemist
#17 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 6:20 PM
Have you run this game ok on that computer before? If not, I'd guess your computer is a bit under-powered for it. I'm running UC on a laptop with Windows 7 64bit, too. I run the game fine most of the time, but large lots or more than 12 active sims will make it lag. But, just to give you an idea of the power it's taking, the machine is 2.8GHz (yours is 1.4), 16GB Ram (compared to 6GB), NVidia Quadro K2000M 2GB memory (according to benchmarks, this graphic card is more than 150% faster than yours, and I'm not bragging, what I'm saying is, it still lags). I also have the 4GB patch in so the game uses up to 4GB memory. If you don't find another problem, I'd suggest you do what you can to minimize other things running, use smaller lots, try to run offline, etc.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 6:37 PM
Here's your video card: https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-R...0G.55734.0.html

Have you tried using the Graphics Rule Maker? It might fix something.

Alchemist
#19 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 6:55 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 15th Jul 2018 at 7:26 PM.
I just remembered something that might be slightly more helpful. When I started playing, I didn't realize that the game was actually not using my graphics card at all. Bummer, right? I had to set it to use it in the graphic card's control panel. You might check on that if yours has a card. You want to make sure you are, at least, using what you've got. You can check on this easily. Just right click on the shortcut to Sims 2 and near the top will be the option, Run with graphics processor." Check to see if it's running your card or make it run with the card there.

Another thing, I believe on Windows 7 (on mine, anyway), you can bypass logging into Origin, by setting your shortcut to the Sims exe itself, rather than whatever the default it. Supposedly, you can also choose to run offline through Origin, but I haven't tried that. Freeing up more space on your harddrive and using less custom content can also help.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 7:04 PM
I'm inclined to think that your graphic card might be one of the issues. The laptop is more of a school or basic office PC than for gaming. It only has regular integrated graphics. I did find a "playable games" list for that chipset that lists TS2 Pets - but keep in mind that if you have M&G/AL they do require a somewhat higher baseline than Pets. The game listings don't always take into account highest settings for graphics, either.

You could try the Graphics Rule Maker. You can also try to turn off heavy duty graphic drains like shadows and reflections ingame, and maybe lower settings a bit to a more tolerable level.

Also, it seems to be a 2010/2011 model, so if you've had it for a while (5+ years) there's a chance you've reached the point where wear and tear is getting the better of it. With heavy use (TS2 would be heavy use for the graphic card in this laptop), 5-7 years is roughly the lifetime you can expect of a laptop, particularly the laptop battery. I bought a new laptop in the beginning of 2012, and the battery died a few months back. My first laptop died after roughly 6 years, and just a short while before that happened, the game behaved strange and would lag really bad (5 minutes to lay down a floor, from clicking to something happening on the screen). Sudden and weird lag ingame on an old computer could be an indication that the laptop is reaching the end of its life.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 7:16 PM
I'm inclined to think that your graphic card might be one of the issues. The laptop is more of a school or basic office PC than for gaming. It only has regular integrated graphics. I did find a "playable games" list for that chipset that lists TS2 Pets - but keep in mind that if you have M&G/AL they do require a somewhat higher baseline than Pets. The game listings don't always take into account highest settings for graphics, either.

You could try the Graphics Rule Maker. You can also try to turn off heavy duty graphic drains like shadows and reflections ingame, and maybe lower settings a bit to a more tolerable level.

Also, it seems to be a 2010/2011 model, so if you've had it for a while (5+ years) there's a chance you've reached the point where wear and tear is getting the better of it. With heavy use (TS2 would be heavy use for the graphic card in this laptop), 5-7 years is roughly the lifetime you can expect of a laptop, particularly the laptop battery. I bought a new laptop in the beginning of 2012, and the battery died a few months back. My first laptop died after roughly 6 years, and just a short while before that happened, the game behaved strange and would lag really bad (5 minutes to lay down a floor, from clicking to something happening on the screen). Sudden and weird lag ingame on an old computer could be an indication that the laptop is reaching the end of its life.

I've tried to upgrade my graphics card, but i don't know the names of like, any models. Would downgrading to a previous version of the game improve performance?
Mad Poster
#22 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 7:21 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 18th Jul 2018 at 11:18 PM.
Not sure what you mean by a "previous version". I don't think you can downgrade, unless you mean having fewer EPs. Fewer EPs would help, yes. There was a slight increase in lagging with either BV or FT and above (BV and above had the issue with SecuRom, the mostly hated copy protection EA used for TS2), and Seasons can create a lot of lag with the animated weather (rain, snow, snow on ground, hail, lightning). AL/M&G have a higher requirement for computer specs.

I had everything up to FT on my old laptop, and that was version 1.13.0.135. Ever since I installed everything up to M&G it's been 1.17.0.66, so I'm pretty sure it's just an indication on which EP (or SP) is your latest.

You can't do this with the UC, only if you have the CD versions. With the UC it's either all or nothing.

Keep in mind that you'd most likely have to uninstall everything and reinstall the EPs you want, and you wouldn't be able to play your current game because it would require the newer EPs, so you'd have to start from scratch. You'd also have to look through your CC and remove anything that wouldn't work with a pre-(your highest EP) game, including mods/hacks, recolors, etc.

Just so you know, most pre-built laptops usually don't allow for changing anything other than memory/RAM (if that), so if you want another graphics card, you'd most likely have to buy a new computer.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#23 Old 18th Jul 2018 at 10:22 PM
Not sure what you mean by a "previous version". I don't think you can downgrade, unless you mean having fewer EPs. Fewer EPs would help, yes. There was a slight increase in lagging with either BV or FT and above (BV had the issue with SecuRom, the mostly hated copy protection EA used for TS2), and Seasons can create a lot of lag with the animated weather (rain, snow, snow on ground, hail, lightning). AL/M&G have a higher requirement for computer specs.

I had everything up to FT on my old laptop, and that was version 1.13.0.135. Ever since I installed everything up to M&G it's been 1.17.0.66, so I'm pretty sure it's just an indication on which EP (or SP) is your latest.

You can't do this with the UC, only if you have the CD versions. With the UC it's either all or nothing.

Keep in mind that you'd most likely have to uninstall everything and reinstall the EPs you want, and you wouldn't be able to play your current game because it would require the newer EPs, so you'd have to start from scratch. You'd also have to look through your CC and remove anything that wouldn't work with a pre-(your highest EP) game, including mods/hacks, recolors, etc.

Just so you know, most pre-built laptops usually don't allow for changing anything other than memory/RAM (if that), so if you want another graphics card, you'd most likely have to buy a new computer.

Damn, i can't afford a new computer lol. I guess I'll just have to put up with it.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#24 Old 18th Jul 2018 at 11:22 PM
What are your game setting on? If you lower your settings this could help.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#25 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 4:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
What are your game setting on? If you lower your settings this could help.

Here, these are my graphics settings.
Screenshots
Page 1 of 2