Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Sep 2018 at 11:01 AM
Default Glow effect on accessories
Hello,

I plan to convert this accessory for sims 3 and now wondering how to make it glow. I know that this is possible, I saw some glowing acc, just can't find any tutorial. So I need help from people who might know how to do this.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 9th Sep 2018 at 1:01 PM
I don't believe TS3 has a glow shader like TS4 has. TS4 has certain glow-in-the-dark and pulsating objects, but TS3 can't do this. Then again, it doesn't seem like that particular accessory actually glows. It's just kind of bright.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Sep 2018 at 1:38 PM
It can glow, just what I know after that objects can't be recorolable,
Example https://ladesire-thesims3.blogspot....y-ladesire.html
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 11th Sep 2018 at 5:32 PM Last edited by Nemiga : 11th Sep 2018 at 6:08 PM.
I find a way to make it glow...

Just yea, can't change color
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#5 Old 13th Sep 2018 at 8:35 AM
Aww @Nemiga you were one step ahead of me for making the same thing LOL. (Not that I had started on it yet, but ignore me :P)

But question, what CASpart did you clone and what shader did you use? Another thing, what I usually do is check what makes it so the time traveller's glowy bits can be recoloured or not? It could be a great place to start I'll take a look as well if I can.
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 13th Sep 2018 at 6:13 PM
Hey @Lyralei

Honestly I one step ahead no one. I get happy too early, now I have some problems with it...so it could be dead end, or I have to remake things and they will not be so great like this.

What I use? I just downloaded glowing accessory from other creator, and replaced file mesh with my converted one. Gladly, imported file took previous mesh properties and that's how I made it glow. Honestly, I have no idea how actually make this. That's why I did this thread.
Now the biggest problem- for some people this works (glows) and for some not...And I have no clue how to fix it, cuz like I mentioned before - I don't understand how everything works ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Plus it doesn't change a color, it only glows in white. No other colors available.
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#7 Old 15th Sep 2018 at 12:22 PM
Super weird question, it doesn't happen to have a txtc file in the package right when you edit the package in S3PE? Else are you okay with me taking a look at it?
Instructor
#8 Old 15th Sep 2018 at 3:46 PM
Okay, so @abufi, who made the mer-fin accessories had an anglerfish inspired glow-blub accessory that both glowed and was recolorable - they didn't use the shader like ladesire did. I asked abufi how it was done and this is what they told me:

Quote: Originally posted by abufi
i can't even figure out exactly how they do it with EA objects, i've looked through the packages of objects like the time traveler's suit and i haven't been able to find whatever in the package makes the glowy parts glow. so since i have no idea how to do it the "legit" way, i did it in a very noobish way haha, i used TSR workshop. this method doesn't let you use an attribute map to define which parts are glowy and which parts aren't, instead you will have to separate your mesh into groups (ie. using milkshape's groups menu) this mesh is in 2 groups, and each group has different properties set for the material. group 0 is the stalk, and group 1 is the glowy bulb. here's what i set the properties to for group 1's material:
the crucial things here are emission at 255,255,255, and ambient and diffuse also at that value.
iemission map is even there if you click 'add' at the top right of the material properties screen and scroll down to the E's under the list of properties, but i don't know enough about this kinda stuff to know what to do with it after adding it.

Note that if you want the whole thing to glow, you don't need to have separate groups. I tried the above, and it did work, but I don't know if it is the "best"/"right" way to do it. But it does work.

Now, theoretically, you can make an emission map, similar to an alpha map, but I haven't been able to spend a lot of time messing with it to see if it works. Also, I haven't quite gotten this to work with alpha/transparency maps, which is what i need - glowy, recolorable and transparent... lol. I can get each separately, but not all at the same time.

Another possibility is what esmeralda did with the cyborg visor. I contacted esmeralda, but I she didn't remember how she had done it and I wasn't able to suss it out from her accessory.

Duh and/or Hello!
(simblr)
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 15th Sep 2018 at 8:45 PM Last edited by Nemiga : 15th Sep 2018 at 9:10 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by k2m1too
Okay, so @abufi, who made the mer-fin accessories had an anglerfish inspired glow-blub accessory that both glowed and was recolorable - they didn't use the shader like ladesire did. I asked abufi how it was done and this is what they told me:

Note that if you want the whole thing to glow, you don't need to have separate groups. I tried the above, and it did work, but I don't know if it is the "best"/"right" way to do it. But it does work.

Now, theoretically, you can make an emission map, similar to an alpha map, but I haven't been able to spend a lot of time messing with it to see if it works. Also, I haven't quite gotten this to work with alpha/transparency maps, which is what i need - glowy, recolorable and transparent... lol. I can get each separately, but not all at the same time.

Another possibility is what esmeralda did with the cyborg visor. I contacted esmeralda, but I she didn't remember how she had done it and I wasn't able to suss it out from her accessory.

Thank you so much for effort to help me solve this mess
Can you share more details how to do all, cuz I never add effects on my own on something, so I don't know where to start :/
What properties for material I have to add?
Instructor
#10 Old 15th Sep 2018 at 9:41 PM
Okay, so in TSRW, click on the 'Mesh' tab.

If you object has more than one group, you need to figure out which group is the one that you want to glow. In my case, my object only has one group - keep in mind the WHOLE group will get the glow effect. In the group you want to edit, see where it says 'Materials'? There is a little elllipsis button (see red arrow in above picture). Click it. That brings up the 'Materials' dialog.

See the highlighted lines in the above picture? Those are the ones that @abufi (see my original post) says you need to edit. Set all three to '255,255,255' (or white). If one of the items isn't listed, you have to add them (see the red arrow). At least that is what abufi said to do and it seemed to work for me. I am a noob at this too.

Duh and/or Hello!
(simblr)
Scholar
Original Poster
#11 Old 16th Sep 2018 at 8:05 AM Last edited by Nemiga : 16th Sep 2018 at 5:27 PM.
Thank you again. I tried this method and for me it works. It doesn't glow the same way like in picture above but it's shiny ..and can be recolorable.

Now, I need a testers. Who interested, file is here
https://simfil.es/707707/

Edit: just tested again and nope, it doesn't glow anymore, just acc really bright...
This is wrk file, take a look, maybe you'll see what I'm doing wrong - https://simfil.es/708458/
Mad Poster
#12 Old 24th Sep 2018 at 7:22 PM
I couldn't help but be nosey -- http://modthesims.info/t/480384
Use the GhostEyes shader (Sim Geom Editor) or the FullBright shader (S3PE).
That's how I made my glowing sword accessories here .
Instructor
#13 Old 24th Sep 2018 at 11:03 PM
@murfee - The issue isn't getting it to glow, but to glow AND be CAStable. The GhostEyes shader doesn't allow for the recoloring.

Duh and/or Hello!
(simblr)
Mad Poster
#14 Old 24th Sep 2018 at 11:40 PM
Ah, yeah, that's impossible for accessories, as far as I'm aware. Frikkin sucks, cuz glowing items are recolorable with build/buy objects, but not CAS ones.
Instructor
#15 Old 25th Sep 2018 at 10:23 PM
@Murfee - It is possible, see my post #10 above. Just isn't quite as glow-y as the GhostEyes shader. And also, Esmerelda has the cyborg visor, which is too, but I can't figure out how she did it.

Duh and/or Hello!
(simblr)
Test Subject
#16 Old 26th Sep 2018 at 3:05 AM
I know that the Time Traveler's suit in Into the future has a recolourable trim and bowtie that glows, i'm not sure if that helps at all.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 26th Sep 2018 at 1:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by k2m1too
@Murfee - It is possible, see my post #10 above. Just isn't quite as glow-y as the GhostEyes shader. And also, Esmerelda has the cyborg visor, which is too, but I can't figure out how she did it.

Looking at the 2 cyborg visors she made:
The true glowing one is non-recolorable: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=375639
The recolorable one http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=483424 only has "a bit of a glow" because apparently she used the regular SimGlass shader, and more than likely jacked the specular/textures up way high to force an ultra shine on it (you can get a similar effect with the Phong Alpha shader, on recolorable glass).

One thing I always wanted to know was if it was possible to force Bloom on objects.
You know how there's that mod that alters the graphics file, so Bloom on ALL objects is higher or lower? http://annythingsims.tumblr.com/pos...ng-bloom-effect
I wonder if there's a way to limit it ion only certain items, and not others? Cuz maybe it could apply to accessories, too?

I don't know. :\
Mad Poster
#18 Old 26th Sep 2018 at 10:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by zacatack_8
I know that the Time Traveler's suit in Into the future has a recolourable trim and bowtie that glows, i'm not sure if that helps at all.

I don't know why, but neither S3PE nor the Sim Geom Editor tool shows what shader that group uses. Is there another way to tell? It's Group 2 (the outfit has 3 groups).
Test Subject
#19 Old 27th Sep 2018 at 5:21 AM
Just some feed back the male version sits higher above the skin than the female version.
Screenshots
Scholar
Original Poster
#20 Old 27th Sep 2018 at 10:40 AM Last edited by Nemiga : 27th Sep 2018 at 1:01 PM.
@zacatack_8 Yes I know, I noticed this too. So I will make separate versions for male and females

And guys...I made it GLOW..and it is recolorable Also I add a_Hat_grip bone instead a_HeadNew, so it works with awt sliders well and now you can adjust such things as accessory height and so on... So all I need now...testers - https://simfil.es/754096/ (version for females only), if this will work for most of you I will tell how I did it

Now I'm waiting for images how it looks in other simmers game
Scholar
#21 Old 27th Sep 2018 at 9:02 PM
How did you fix it to glow and get it to be recolorable if you don't mind my question?
Test Subject
#22 Old 27th Sep 2018 at 10:39 PM
Wow it looks great! and the glow effect is perfect! you are my hero for converting this! I love detroit!
Screenshots
Scholar
Original Poster
#23 Old 28th Sep 2018 at 6:04 PM Last edited by Nemiga : 28th Sep 2018 at 6:37 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Squidconqueror
How did you fix it to glow and get it to be recolorable if you don't mind my question?

I copied glowing bot cas part from ITF, replaced converted mesh with it in tsrw using S3PE editor (to get same values as glowing part), then re-imported my converted mesh again and that's it...that's how I made it glow. I wish I could tell more but, I didn't manage to find out what properties or shaders excactly does it magic, so I just "copied" properties this way...Still a mystery, how to do this from scratch.

Quote: Originally posted by zacatack_8
Wow it looks great! and the glow effect is perfect! you are my hero for converting this! I love detroit!

Yay, I'm so happy to see it working for others But, I'm still curious if everything works well for people who don't have ITF...Pssst, I love your Chloe :3
Test Subject
#24 Old 28th Sep 2018 at 10:38 PM
The recoloring works good too! I still have yet to try the hat sliders with it.
Screenshots
Instructor
#25 Old 28th Sep 2018 at 11:56 PM
Ok, I see you have changed it to be hat slider compatible. I must have dl'ed the previous version because I was going to mention that it buried into my sim's temple. LOL Thanks for the info on how you made it glow. I'm going to have to try this with my own project.

Duh and/or Hello!
(simblr)
Page 1 of 2